Barnard "Bernie" Sanders (born September 8, 1941) is an American politician and the current United States Senator from Vermont. The "Bernie Sanders presidential campaign, 2016" began with his formal announcement on April 30, 2015.
- [I]f you are serious about real healthcare reform, the only way to go is single-payer.
- Enough is enough! [...] How many homes can you own?
- The bottom line is when Senator Inhofe says global warming is a hoax, he is just dead wrong, according to the vast majority of climate scientists"
- Regarding Global warming, Gerken, James (July 31, 2012). "Senator Bernie Sanders: Climate Change Is Real, Senator Inhofe Is 'Dead Wrong'". The Huffington Post. Retrieved on October 16, 2013.
- The real issue here, if you look at the Koch Brothers' agenda, is: look at what many of the extreme right-wing people believe. Obamacare is just the tip of the iceberg. These people want to abolish the concept of the minimum wage, they want to privatize the Veteran's Administration, they want to privatize Social Security, end Medicare as we know it, massive cuts in Medicaid, wipe out the EPA, you don’t have an Environmental Protection Agency anymore, Department of Energy gone, Department of Education gone. That is the agenda. And many people don’t understand that the Koch Brothers have poured hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars into the tea party and two other kinds of ancillary organizations to push this agenda.
- Regarding the United States federal government shutdown of 2013, Sanders, Bernie (October 7, 2013). MSNBC News Interview (October 7, 2013) (06:41). YouTube. Retrieved on October 12, 2013.
- Staff (October 8, 2013). "Bernie Sanders Says Koch Brothers Shut Down Government Via Citizens United". The Inquisitr. Retrieved on October 12, 2013.
- I find it remarkable that Saudi Arabia, which borders Iraq and is controlled by a multi-billion dollar family, is demanding that U.S. combat troops have ‘boots on the ground’ against ISIS. Where are the Saudi troops? With the third largest military budget in the world and an army far larger than ISIS, the Saudi government must accept its full responsibility for stability in their own region of the world. Ultimately, this is a profound struggle for the soul of Islam, and the anti-ISIS Muslim nations must lead that fight. While the United States and other western nations should be supportive, the Muslim nations must lead.
- Piccoli, Sean (March 6, 2015). "Sen. Bernie Sanders Rips Saudis for Demanding US Troops Fight ISIS". NewsMax. Retrieved on March 17, 2015.
- Diamond, Jeremy (March 6, 2015). "Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I'll be damned' if Americans lead ISIS fight". CNN News. Retrieved on March 17, 2015.
- Sanders, Bernie (March 6, 2015). "Sanders Calls Saudi Demand for U.S. Ground Troops ‘Offensive’". US Senate. Retrieved on March 17, 2015.
- What we have seen is that while the average person is working longer hours for lower wages, we have seen a huge increase in income and wealth inequality, which is now reaching obscene levels. This is a rigged economy, which works for the rich and the powerful, and is not working for ordinary Americans … You know, this country just does not belong to a handful of billionaires.
- Staff (April 29, 2015). "Bernie Sanders confirms presidential run and damns America's inequities". the Guardian. Retrieved on May 2, 2015.
- No single financial institution should have holdings so extensive that its failure could send the world economy into another financial crisis ... If an institution is too big to fail, it is too big to exist.
- Huntley, Steve (May 1, 2015). "Steve Huntley: Sanders the socialist sure gets it right on big banks". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved on May 2, 2015.
- "We have a president right now who doesn't consider himself a socialist but people call him a socialist as an insult. Are you concerned at all about framing yourself as this?" ...
- "Not if we have the opportunity to describe what democratic socialism means. ... You have countries like Denmark, Sweden, Norway ... which have had social democratic governments. ... In those countries, healthcare is a right for all people. ... Tuition is free. ... In those countries, governments are working for the middle class, rather than the billionaire class."
- Are we happy that 99% of all new income is going to the top 1%? Are we happy that one family in this country owns more than the bottom 130 million people?
- Warren Buffett, one of the richest guys in the world, openly admits that his effective tax rate is lower than his secretary's. It's time to tell the billionaire class that if they want to enjoy the benefits of America, they have to accept their responsibilities, and they have to start paying their fair share of taxes.
- In the last thirty years, there has been a massive redistribution of wealth. Unfortunately, it's gone in the wrong direction. ... All that money that has gone from the middle class to the top 1%, I think it should start coming back to the people who need it the most.
- There are millions and millions of people who are tired of establishment politics, who are tired of corporate greed, who want a candidate that will help lead a mass movement in this country. ... What people are saying is, "Enough is enough. The billionaire class cannot have it all."
- In my view, and we've introduced legislation to deal with this, if a bank is too big to fail, it is too big to exist.
- 2016 Presidential Campaign Rally in Madison, Wisconsin, July 1, 2015 43:00
- Kelly, Erin (April 30, 2015). "Bernie Sanders: 'I am running in this election to win'". USA Today. Retrieved on April 30, 2015.
- Rappeport, Alan (April 29, 2015). "Bernie Sanders Announces He Is Running for President". New York Times. Retrieved on April 30, 2015.