state of the United States of America
Mississippi, also known as the State of Mississippi, is a U.S. state that is located in the southern region of the contiguous United States of America.
- Mississippi has been unfairly portrayed in movies and TV shows as a backward, poorly educated state where the average resident has seventeen teeth and rides around in a pickup truck with a shotgun and a mongrel dog that scores higher on the SAT tests than the average resident. This is a terribly unfair stereotype. The actual truth is closer to nineteen teeth. No! Ha ha! We're just kidding, Mississippi residents! Seriously, Mississippi is a dynamic and growing state, and many modern technological corporations are relocating here to take advantage of the ready availability of okra. Also Elvis was born in Tupelo, where you can visit his birthplace and possibly meet him in person. You'll also want to visit one of the old plantations, where attractive hostesses dressed in authentic costumes explain the old traditional lifestyle and flog an authentic motorized replica of a slave. Mississippi's Official State Motto is "Whoooo-EEEEE!"
- Dave Barry, Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need (1991), New York: Fawcett Columbine, p. 84-85
- Mississippi's history deserves study and reflection, no matter how unpleasant or complicated parts of it may be.
- Mississippi is such a diverse and multifaceted place.
- Phil Bryant, as quoted in Mississippi Official Tour Guide (2016), p. 1
- If the voters of Mississippi were capable of shame, they would replace legislators loyal to the laws of South Africa by legislators loyal to the laws of the United States.
- Chicago Tribune, "What They Commend in Mississippi" (15 April 1960)
- Pray to the to the Lord for these Mississippi streets.
- Lavell Crump, "Cadillac on 22s", Mississippi: The Album
- Know what I'm talking about. Yeah, Mississippi. Motherfucker! Newton County. What I live and die for, Scott County. Ball for the kids, Simpson County. Know what I'm talking about. Hell yeah! Mississippi, you know what I'm talking about. The home of the blues, the dirtiest part of the south. You know what I'm talking about. The place where you get them fish and them criss, motherfucker. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. The Delta, motherfucker. Cotton, you know what I'm talking bout!
- Lavell Crump, "Mississippi", Mississippi: The Album
- Bring the gangster walk back. Memphis! Mississippi! Everybody from the south, let's ride... North Mississippi in this bastard!
- Lavell Crump, "Gangster Walk" (2005), Certified (2005)
- All I can say is that I am well. I have the enemy closely hemmed in all round. My position is naturally strong and fortified against an attack from outside. I have been so strongly reinforced that Johnston will have to come with a mighty host to drive me away. I do not look upon the fall of Vicksburg as in the least doubtful. If, however, I could have carried the place on the 22nd of last month, I could by this time have made a campaign that would have made the State of Mississippi almost safe for a solitary horseman to ride over.
- Ulysses S. Grant, letter to Jesse Root Grant (15 June 1863), Vicksburg
- Mississippi to Philly, Albuquerque to Chat-town!
- Clifford Harris, "Bring Em Out" (2004), Urban Legend
- Kill her in Mississippi and drive her ass to Missouri.
- Clifford Harris, "Top Back" (2006), King
- My statue at Ole Miss is a false idol. And it wasn't put there for my benefit. It was put there for Ole Miss and Mississippi...Ole Miss kicked my butt and they're still celebrating. Because every black that's gone there since me has been insulted, humiliated, and they can't even tell their story. Everybody has to tell James Meredith's story — which is a lie. The powers that be in Mississippi understand this very clearly. See, I've been telling them for fifty years how insulting it is to me to suggest that I had to be courageous to confront some ignorant white folks. And recently, they told me they really understand, but they're gonna keep doing it. I can't figure a way to make 'em stop. They're gonna keep on doin' it because it makes it impossible for the blacks there now to say anything about what's happened to them. Because the comparison is with the idol.
- James Meredith Interview with Esquire (2012)
- [I]n our Mississippi, ALL are Welcome.
- I once asked a New York reporter if his newsroom issued him a pith helmet and jodhpurs when he ventured down to the Heart of Darkness they portray Mississippi to be. He had asked me if I knew where he could find some Klan to interview and didn't appear to believe me when I told him it wasn't much of a going concern in most of the state anymore.
- Geoff Pender, "Flag referendum PR would be priceless, rotten" (22 January 2016), The Clarion-Ledger, Mississippi
- Government secrecy outside the strict confines of national security is a generally bad thing, and it never appears to work out well for those being governed. Mississippi in particular should know this well.
- Geoff Pender, "Miss. lawmakers trampling First Amendment" (5 March 2016), The Clarion-Ledger, Mississippi
- I love the spring in Mississippi... I'm so incredibly proud to say I'm say I'm from Mississippi, and Mississippians continue to make me proud to say that's where I'm from.
- Robin Roberts, as quoted in Mississippi Official Tour Guide (2016), p. 12