Wikiquote is a free compendium of quotations that is being written collaboratively by the readers. The site is a Wiki, meaning that anyone, including you, can edit any entry right now by clicking on the edit this page link that appears in every Wikiquote entry. The project was started on June 27, 2003 and there are 32,273 articles in English that are being worked on with many more entries pending in other languages. Every day many contributors from around the world make hundreds of edits and create many new articles.
All of the site's content is covered by the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License and the GNU Free Documentation License. Contributions remain the property of their creators, while the copyleft licensing ensures that the content will always remain freely distributable and reproducible. See Wikiquote:Copyrights for more information.
Note: Wikiquote contains content that may be considered offensive, vulgar or profane by some users. See the content disclaimer for more information.
More about Wikiquote
Exploring the Wikiquote
Contributing to Wikiquote
Getting in touch
Other language versions
- Wikiquote in other languages - other languages
- Wikipedia, a multilingual Wiki encyclopedia. (See Wikipedia for background)
- Wiktionary, a multilingual Wiki dictionary and thesaurus. (See Wiktionary for background)
- Project Sourceburg, a collection of public domain source texts used in Wikipedia. (See Project Sourceberg for background)
- Nupedia, a more academic free encyclopedia project with a peer-review system for accepting articles (See Nupedia for background)
- Enciclopedia Libre, an independent Spanish language encyclopedia project. (See Enciclopedia Libre for background)
- September 11 Memorial Wiki
- Indymedia is similar to Wikipedia as a radically transparent information collection and synthesis network for ordinary people, but is different in that it's focussed primarily on new information on current events and is strongly based in local, non-virtual, autonomous citizens' groups. (See Indymedia for background.)