Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi (born March 26, 1940) is an American politician serving as speaker of the United States House of Representatives since January 2019. First elected to Congress in 1987, she is the only woman to have served as speaker and is the highest-ranking elected woman in United States history. Pelosi is second in the presidential line of succession, immediately after the vice president. A member of the Democratic Party, Pelosi is in her 17th term as a congresswoman, representing California's 12th congressional district (since 2013), which consists of four-fifths of the city and county of San Francisco.
- The American people voted to restore integrity and honesty in Washington, D.C., and the Democrats intend to lead the most honest, most open and most ethical Congress in history.
- Members of Congress I have the high privilege and distinct honour of presenting to you, his excellency Bertie Ahern (/ei/hern), the Taoiseach, the Prime Minister of Ireland
- Why should we put a plan out? Our plan is to stop him. He must be stopped.
- Referring to George W. Bush on Fox News (March 17, 2005)
- [T]hey had to make up that story about weapons of mass destruction. Because that was the only thing that would sell to the American people, and that wasn't true.
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (November 30, 2005)
- As many of you know, I come from San Francisco. We don't have a lot of farms there. Well, we do have one—it's a mushroom farm, so you know what that means.
- To The Agribusiness Club of Washington (July 24, 2006)
- Maybe it will take a woman to clean up the House.
- Interview with Barbara Walters (December 13, 2006)
- A woman is like a teabag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
- I say to my colleagues never confine your best work, your hopes, your dreams, the aspiration of the American people to what will be signed by George W. Bush because that is too limiting a factor.
- Are you serious? Are you serious?
- When asked :"Madam Speaker, where specifically does the Constitution grant Congress the authority to enact an individual health insurance mandate?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-JByUpfmjQ
- I have said it before and I will say it again: Impeachment is off the table.
- Am I going to have to use my ‘Mother of Five Voice’ to be heard?" (to an inattentive audience while campaigning)-Quoted in the October 23, 2006 issue of Newsweek
- The Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations. Ed. Elizabeth Knowles. 2008. Oxford University Press.
- The word 'campaign' is a war term. So when you go into a campaign you just prepare to go to war. If you think this is an exercise in civic activity...then you are going to be surprised.-1985
- Herrnson, Paul S. (2003). "Women Running "as Women": Candidate Gender, Campaign Issues, and Voter-Targeting Strategies". 'The Journal of Politics' 65 no. 1.
- This president goes into office with more expectations than any president I can ever remember in my lifetime.-2008
- I didn't know you were Catholic. (to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson as he got down on one knee to beg Pelosi to find Democratic support for the bailout bill)-2008
- Your recent meetings with Chinese dissidents at the White House are to be commended. However, your participation at the opening ceremony of the Olympics will send a signal to the Chinese people and the international community that could be misperceived as your approval, and that of the American people, for the draconian policies of the Chinese government. Therefore, it is essential that you unambiguously speak out for human rights and meet with the families of jailed prisoners of conscience while you are in Beijing. (In a letter to President Bush prior to his 2008 trip to Beijing's Summer Olympic Games
- (August 1, 2008). Pelosi to Bush: It Is Essential That You Speak Out for Human Rights During Visit to China for the Olympics. Press release. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- With Americans worried about losing their jobs, their savings, their homes and their chance at the American Dream, the New Direction Congress will work in a bipartisan way to lift our economy and help America's middle class.
- (October 15, 2008). Pelosi Statement on Fiscally Responsible Recovery Package to Lift Economy and Help the Middle Class. Press release. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- By making college more affordable for all and more accessible for minority students, the first new higher education authorizing legislation in a decade will help strengthen our nation and America's middle class, and spur a new age of innovation and ingenuity in our country.
- (July 31, 2008). Pelosi: Higher Education Bill is Bipartisan Investment in College Affordability and in America's Middle Class. Press release. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- "Why don't we just leave this room today forgetting the word 'earmark'?"-June 2007
- Darling, Brian (October 6, 2008). "Pelosi Lets Earmarks Rule the Day in Congress". Human Events 64 (34). Retrieved on 2008-11-22.
- "Can we drill your brains?"(responding to attendants who interrupted her speech by chanting "Drill here! Drill now!")
- "Perspectives". Newsweek. September 8, 2008. Retrieved on 2008-11-22.
- The proposed Bush regulations put politics above the health care needs of Americans.
- Gajewski, Karen Ann (September/October 2008). "Worth Noting". Humanist 68 (5). Retrieved on 2008-11-22.
- Every aspect of our lives must be subjected to an inventory...of how we are taking responsibility.
- "Pelosi appeals for China's help on climate change". The Associated Press. May 28, 2009. Retrieved on 2009-05-28.
- You've heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don't know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention—it's about diet, not diabetes. It's going to be very, very exciting. But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
- 9 March, 2010. Source:  Having to pass a bill to know what is does is a Grin and Bear It cartoon punchline from 1947, paraphased in a 1948 Indiana Law Journal article by then Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter. Frankfurter was in turn cited in 2015's decision in King v. Burwell, authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, which turned on a complication in the very law resulting from the bill Pelosi was above describing.
- You go through the gate. If the gate’s closed you go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we’ll pole-vault. If that doesn’t work, we’ll parachute in. But we are going to get health care reform passed for the American people.
- [Under the Affordable Care Act] everybody will have lower rates, better quality care, and better access.
- NBC-TV Meet the Press (July 1, 2012) 
- I have said to people when they ask me, if this Capitol crumbled to the ground, the one thing that would remain would be our commitment to our aid, I don’t even call it our aid, our cooperation with Israel. That’s fundamental to who we are.
- 12 December 2018 in 2018 IAC National Conference.
- The racist, homophobic attack on @JussieSmollett is an affront to our humanity,
No one should be attacked for who they are or whom they love. I pray that Jussie has a speedy recovery & that justice is served. May we all commit to ending this hate once & for all.
- 30 January 2019 regarding Jussie Smollett
Announcement of Official Impeachment Inquiry against President Donald Trump (2019)Edit
- Last Tuesday, we observed the anniversary of the adoption of the Constitution on September 17.
Sadly, on that day, the Intelligence Community Inspector General formally notified the Congress that the Administration was forbidding him from turning over a whistleblower complaint. On Constitution Day. This is a violation of law.
Shortly thereafter, press reports began to break of a phone call by the President of the United States calling upon a foreign power to intervene in his election. This is a breach of his constitutional responsibilities.
The facts are these: the Intelligence Community Inspector General, who was appointed by President Trump, determined that the complaint is both of "urgent concern and credible," and its disclosure, he went on to say, that it "relates to one of the most significant and important of the Director of National Intelligence"s responsibilities to the American people."
On Thursday, the Inspector General testified before the House Intelligence Committee, stating that the Acting Director of National Intelligence blocked him from disclosing the whistleblower complaint. This is a violation of the law.
- On the final day of the Constitutional Convention in 1787, when our Constitution was adopted, Americans gathered on the steps of Independence Hall to await the news of the government our Founders had crafted.
They asked Benjamin Franklin, "What do we have: a republic or a monarchy?" Franklin replied: "A republic, if you can keep it."
Our responsibility is to keep it.
- Our republic endures because of the wisdom of our Constitution, enshrined in three co-equal branches of government, serving as checks and balances on each other.
The actions taken to date by the President have seriously violated the Constitution — especially when the President says, "Article II says, I can do whatever I want."
- The action of — the actions of the Trump Presidency revealed the dishonorable fact of the President's betrayal of his oath of office, betrayal of our national security, and betrayal of the integrity of our elections.
Therefore, today, I am announcing the House of Representatives is moving forward with an official impeachment inquiry. I am directing our six Committees to proceed with their investigations under that umbrella of impeachment inquiry.
The President must be held accountable. No one is above the law.
- Getting back to our Founders — in the darkest days of the American Revolution, Thomas Paine wrote: "The times have found us." The times found them to fight for and establish our democracy. The times have found us today, not to place ourselves in the same category of greatness as our Founders, but to place us in the urgency of protecting and defending our Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. In the words of Ben Franklin, to keep our Republic.
Quotes about PelosiEdit
- The leadership of the party, the Clintons, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Tom Perez, are creations of corporate America. In an open and democratic political process, one not dominated by party elites and corporate money, these people would not hold political power. They know this. They would rather implode the entire system than give up their positions of privilege. And that, I fear, is what will happen. The idea that the Democratic Party is in any way a bulwark against despotism defies the last three decades of its political activity. It is the guarantor of despotism.
- A large number of proud Jewish Americans — raised to believe in civil liberties and open discussion — are appalled by the campaign to muzzle Rep. Ilhan Omar, as well as Speaker Pelosi’s role in it. We’re also appalled that human-rights-abusing Israel is virtually off-limits to debate. … Rep. Omar has made a simple and undeniable point — that AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee) and the funding it influences exert extraordinary power over Congress. Disputing that point is flat-earther terrain. The Capitol Hill farce of an “anti-hate” resolution would provide still more evidence on behalf of her argument. Unfortunately, all the vague media references to Rep Omar’s “anti-Semitic remarks” obscure how truthful and non-hateful those comments were.
- In Munich this past weekend at the Security Conference the speaker of the US House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, nailed her anti-Chinese colours to the mast. Despite being a liberal on many issues and the leader of the fight to impeach President Donald Trump, she has joined forces with Trump in preaching that the West must not allow itself to be penetrated by Huawei’s 5G phone technology, (which is cheaper than any Western counterpart). But she appeared to have no response to a former Chinese ambassador to the UK who asked what was wrong with Huawei seeking Western markets when Microsoft, Google and Facebook were such big players in China. The Chinese government didn’t feel its security was threatened by them. He could also have added that if they do anything that the Chinese government doesn’t like China is always able to deal with it... China has not gone to war since 1979. It has not used lethal military force abroad since 1988... China does not fly through US airspace.