Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi (born March 26, 1940) A Democrat, she is the first woman to lead a major political party in either house of Congress and became the first female Speaker of the House on January 4, 2007. She has represented California's 8th District since 1987 (it was numbered the 5th District until 1993).
- The American people voted to restore integrity and honesty in Washington, D.C., and the Democrats intend to lead the most honest, most open and most ethical Congress in history.
- Members of Congress I have the high privilege and distinct honour of presenting to you, his excellency Bertie Ahern (/ei/hern), the Taoiseach, the Prime Minister of Ireland
- Why should we put a plan out? Our plan is to stop him. He must be stopped.
- Referring to George W. Bush on Fox News (March 17, 2005)
- [T]hey had to make up that story about weapons of mass destruction. Because that was the only thing that would sell to the American people, and that wasn't true.
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (November 30, 2005)
- As many of you know, I come from San Francisco. We don't have a lot of farms there. Well, we do have one—it's a mushroom farm, so you know what that means.
- To The Agribusiness Club of Washington (July 24, 2006)
- Maybe it will take a woman to clean up the House.
- Interview with Barbara Walters (December 13, 2006)
- A woman is like a teabag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
- I say to my colleagues never confine your best work, your hopes, your dreams, the aspiration of the American people to what will be signed by George W. Bush because that is too limiting a factor.
- Are you serious? Are you serious?
- When asked :"Madam Speaker, where specifically does the Constitution grant Congress the authority to enact an individual health insurance mandate?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-JByUpfmjQ
- I have said it before and I will say it again: Impeachment is off the table.
- Am I going to have to use my ‘Mother of Five Voice’ to be heard?" (to an inattentive audience while campaigning)-Quoted in the October 23, 2006 issue of Newsweek
- The Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations. Ed. Elizabeth Knowles. 2008. Oxford University Press.
- The word 'campaign' is a war term. So when you go into a campaign you just prepare to go to war. If you think this is an exercise in civic activity...then you are going to be surprised.-1985
- Herrnson, Paul S. (2003). "Women Running "as Women": Candidate Gender, Campaign Issues, and Voter-Targeting Strategies". 'The Journal of Politics' 65 no. 1.
- This president goes into office with more expectations than any president I can ever remember in my lifetime.-2008
- I didn't know you were Catholic. (to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson as he got down on one knee to beg Pelosi to find Democratic support for the bailout bill)-2008
- Your recent meetings with Chinese dissidents at the White House are to be commended. However, your participation at the opening ceremony of the Olympics will send a signal to the Chinese people and the international community that could be misperceived as your approval, and that of the American people, for the draconian policies of the Chinese government. Therefore, it is essential that you unambiguously speak out for human rights and meet with the families of jailed prisoners of conscience while you are in Beijing. (In a letter to President Bush prior to his 2008 trip to Beijing's Summer Olympic Games
- (August 1, 2008). Pelosi to Bush: It Is Essential That You Speak Out for Human Rights During Visit to China for the Olympics. Press release. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- With Americans worried about losing their jobs, their savings, their homes and their chance at the American Dream, the New Direction Congress will work in a bipartisan way to lift our economy and help America's middle class.
- (October 15, 2008). Pelosi Statement on Fiscally Responsible Recovery Package to Lift Economy and Help the Middle Class. Press release. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- By making college more affordable for all and more accessible for minority students, the first new higher education authorizing legislation in a decade will help strengthen our nation and America's middle class, and spur a new age of innovation and ingenuity in our country.
- (July 31, 2008). Pelosi: Higher Education Bill is Bipartisan Investment in College Affordability and in America's Middle Class. Press release. Retrieved on 2008-11-08.
- "Why don't we just leave this room today forgetting the word 'earmark'?"-June 2007
- Darling, Brian (October 6, 2008). "Pelosi Lets Earmarks Rule the Day in Congress". Human Events 64 (34). Retrieved on 2008-11-22.
- "Can we drill your brains?"(responding to attendants who interrupted her speech by chanting "Drill here! Drill now!")
- "Perspectives". Newsweek. September 8, 2008. Retrieved on 2008-11-22.
- The proposed Bush regulations put politics above the health care needs of Americans.
- Gajewski, Karen Ann (September/October 2008). "Worth Noting". Humanist 68 (5). Retrieved on 2008-11-22.
- Every aspect of our lives must be subjected to an inventory...of how we are taking responsibility.
- "Pelosi appeals for China's help on climate change". The Associated Press. May 28, 2009. Retrieved on 2009-05-28.
- You've heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don't know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention—it's about diet, not diabetes. It's going to be very, very exciting. But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
- 9 March, 2010. Source:  Having to pass a bill to know what is does is a Grin and Bear It cartoon punchline from 1947, paraphased in a 1948 Indiana Law Journal article by then Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter. Frankfurter was in turn cited in 2015's decision in King v. Burwell, authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, which turned on a complication in the very law resulting from the bill Pelosi was above describing.
- You go through the gate. If the gate’s closed you go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we’ll pole-vault. If that doesn’t work, we’ll parachute in. But we are going to get health care reform passed for the American people.
- [Under the Affordable Care Act] everybody will have lower rates, better quality care, and better access.
- NBC-TV Meet the Press (July 1, 2012) 
- The racist, homophobic attack on @JussieSmollett is an affront to our humanity,
No one should be attacked for who they are or whom they love. I pray that Jussie has a speedy recovery & that justice is served. May we all commit to ending this hate once & for all.
- 30 January 2019 regarding Jussie Smollett
- A large number of proud Jewish Americans – raised to believe in civil liberties and open discussion – are appalled by the campaign to muzzle Rep. Ilhan Omar, as well as Speaker Pelosi’s role in it. We’re also appalled that human-rights-abusing Israel is virtually off-limits to debate.
- Rep. Omar has made a simple and undeniable point – that AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee) and the funding it influences exert extraordinary power over Congress. Disputing that point is flat-earther terrain. The Capitol Hill farce of an “anti-hate” resolution would provide still more evidence on behalf of her argument. Unfortunately, all the vague media references to Rep Omar’s “anti-Semitic remarks” obscure how truthful and non-hateful those comments were.