sovereign state in West Africa
Ghana, officially called the Republic of Ghana, is a sovereign unitary presidential constitutional democracy, located along the Gulf of Guinea and Atlantic Ocean, in the subregion of West Africa. Ghana is bordered by the Ivory Coast in the west, Burkina Faso in the north, Togo in the east and the Gulf of Guinea and Atlantic Ocean in the south. The word Ghana means "Warrior King" in Mande.
- Slavery is not the only story about black people. It's only a small story! Don't they know if tomorrow a slave ship arrived at Elmina to carry us to America, so many Ghanaians would climb on board that this ship would sink to the bed of the ocean from our weight?
- Elolo, as quoted in Searching for Zion, The Quest for Home in the African Diaspora (2013), by Emily Raboteau, Atlantic Monthly Press, p. 223.
- As Ghana — the little African nation that could — readies itself for a quarterfinal match against Uruguay, you're bound to hear more about the Ghana/Oregon connection. It was there in the Ghana vs United States pre and post-mortems — as in "Ghana, a nation the size of Oregon." As in — puny country, puny state... So go ahead all you pundits — keep feeding us the "Ghana is the size of little old Oregon" line. Here in Oregon, we know what it really means: Uruguay, watch out!
- Tom Goldman, "The Ghana/Oregon Comparison: In Defense Of A Puny State" (2 July 2010), NPR.
- Change is happening, Ghana is being transformed and we are impacting people's lives
- Ghana's government will not repeat mistakes made during the last election and will maintain strict fiscal discipline ahead of the 2016 vote, President John Mahama told parliament in an annual State of the Nation address Thursday, which often got interrupted by jeers from the opposition bench. Mahama has also said that the Ghana government has been showing positive signs, setting the stage for transformation, and listed numerous social infrastructure projects completed during his presidency, quoted on Voice of America, "Ghana's President Vows to Keep Tight Grip on Spending Before Election", February 25, 2016.
- The independence of Ghana is meaningless until it is linked to the total liberation of Africa.
- Kwame Nkrumah, quoted in A. E. Ekoko, Margaret A. Vogt, Nigerian defence policy: issues and problems (1990), p. 55.
- As Italian people we are not only ready for agri-business here but we are also ready for the energy sector. Our wealth will be our wealth and your challenges will be shared across our collective efforts in finding solutions that work among the two countries in the spirit of collaboration. Be proud because you are the bench mark of democracy, not only for Ghanaians, your democratic record in Africa coming from a diversified background should be a pride of honour, and the democracy is the antidote against Terrorism, and Violence.
- The Italian Prime Minister, Matteo Renzi, has announced that his country [Italy] is ready to develop Ghana's agricultural and energy sectors. According to him, Italy needs open democracies and good economies to partner with, quoted on Ghana.gov, "ITALY TO INVEST IN GHANA’S AGRIC & ENERGY SECTORS – ITALIAN PM".
- They call it the group of death. So be it. The U.S., Portugal, Germany, and Ghana. Ghana, West African nation about the size of Oregon. Took us out of the last two World Cups. They really seemed to enjoy it. In fact, we've never beaten Ghana. Some say that proves we don't measure up, that we'll never survive. And to that, we say? Thanks. You see? Here's the thing. You doubt us? Perfect. Underestimate us? Fine. Challenges are what we wake up for. Working harder is what we do. And this is who we are. It's called the group of death. Makes sense, because we're in it. U.S., Ghana. Now.
- Kiefer Sutherland, Ghana v. United States[dead link] (16 June 2014), 2014 FIFA World Cup (2014), Brazil.