Terence Richard McAuliffe (born February 9, 1957) is an American politician and businessman who served as the 72nd Governor of Virginia from 2014 to 2018. He was chair of the Democratic National Committee from 2001 to 2005, was co-chair of President Bill Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign and 1997 Presidential inauguration and was chair of Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign.
- The governor has taken some last ditch measures to try and present himself as bipartisan. But his denial will not be winning any fans here! He is going to be up to the business of lying, of course. After all, it's what the GOP does best, you see. The Democratic Party will bring America forward into a new age, free from the dark taints of racism, corruption, bigotry, and fear! Build the next generation up, grow them up, raise them well, so that the whole world shall know America's power, feeble as it is. Fortunately, by building up the spirt of America, we shall know true strength once again!
- quoted on The Sunday Times, July 27, 2008.
- This election is going to say a lot about Virginia's future and about the country's future.
- Quoted on BBC News, "Virginia governor race: McAuliffe and Cuccinelli campaign on election eve", November 4, 2013.
- I’ve negotiated bank deals all over the globe. Everything is a compromise. … I never take anything off the table. They say good luck, put your government together. Fine — I’ve loved it. So we have jumped in with vigor. I have now had CEOs who have called me, several have come to visit me, and made it clear to me that I better get this workforce development fixed or they have to take other options available to them. Obviously, the biggest challenge is state government is so immense, so many different departments, so many people involved. It’s a challenge but not an overwhelming challenge — I actually enjoy it. I haven’t taken time off since the election. Many of my predecessors have said ‘You need to do that.’ It’s really not my personality.
- Quoted on Times Dispatch, "An interview with Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe", December 22, 2013
- We lost 2 great friends and patriots today. Berke and Jay will be greatly missed. TY for your service to VA.
We are deeply saddened by the loss of Jay and Berke, both of whom were our close friends and trusted members of our team. Jay has flown us across the commonwealth for more than three and a half years. Berke was devoted to our entire family as part of our Executive Protective Unit team for the past three years.
This is a devastating loss for their families, the Virginia State Police, and the entire commonwealth. Out hearts go out to their wives and children, and we stand by to support them during this difficult time. These heroes were a part of our family and we are simply heartbroken.
- I wanted to be here today to remember Jay and be here with the family, the fond memories both Dorothy and I had with Jay Cullen, and his spirit for the McAuliffe family, will live on and on in Virginia.
- I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach.
- There's going to be a lot of excitement. The stakes are so huge. People don't understand. They come out in presidential years, but they have to come out in this off-year.
- "Obama to campaign for McAuliffe in tight race for Virginia governor" (October 12, 2021)
Quotes about Terry McAuliffeEdit
- Terry McAuliffe is a really old friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton so the fact that they would come and help him campaign is not surprising. But they are not super popular in Virginia so the fact he brought them here is interesting, in the sense that Hillary is keeping her hand in, simply by being part of it and keeping her face in it.
- Craig Brians, professor of political science at Virginia Tech, quoted on BBC News, "Five reasons why the Virginia governor's race matters", November 4, 2013.
- The governor-elect has taken some steps to try and present himself as bipartisan. He has reached out to a lot of my colleagues in my caucus, and he tells us he’s willing to work together. … But at the same time, he’ll say he wants to work with me and then go to the state Chamber of Commerce two days later to say you’ve got to get on those guys and get them to pass pre-K and Medicaid expansion. But he’s learning; he’s new — and he’s got a pretty steep learning curve. But he’s obviously a bright guy. I’m sure he’s going to be up to it.
- House Speaker William J. Howell, R-Stafford, quoted on Times Dispatch, "An interview with Gov.-elect Terry McAuliffe", December 22, 2013.
- Terry McAuliffe has figured out being governor of Virginia is an actual job, and he likes it. Terry McAuliffe is not a terrible governor.
- said one Republican strategist, quoted on The Washington Post, "McAuliffe balances governing — and delivering — a state", February 29, 2016.