chemical compound; opioid most commonly used as a recreational drug for its euphoric effects
Heroin is an opioid used as a recreational drug.
- To some I'm a wise man, to some I'm a fool
But I need a lil something to keep my cool
I sleep with the sun and I rise with the moon
And I feel alright with my needle and spoon.
- Savoy Brown, "Needle and Spoon".
- Junk is the mold of monopoly and possession. ... Junk is quantative and accurately measurable. The more junk you use the less you have and the more you have the more you use. All the hallucinogen drugs are considered sacred by those who use them ... but no one ever suggested that junk is sacred. There are no opium cults. Junk is profane and quantitative like money. Junk is is the ideal product ... the ultimate merchandise. No sales talk necessary. The client will crawl through a sewer and beg to buy. ... The junk merchant does not sell the product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to the product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client.
- I've seen the man use the needle, seen the needle use the man
I've seen them crawl from the cradle to the gutter on their hands
They fight a war but it's fatal, it's so hard to understand
I've seen the man use the needle, seen the needle use the man.
- Smack's an honest drug, because it strips away these delusions. Why smack, when ya feel good, ya feel immortal. When ya feel bad, it intensifies the shite that's already there. It's the only really honest drug. It doesnt alter your consciousness. It just gives you a hit and a sense of well-being. After that, ya see the misery of the world as it is, and you cannot anesthetise yourself against it.
- I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Don’t mess with the needle or a spoon
Or any trip to the moon
It’ll take you away
Lord, their gonna bury you boy
Don’t mess with the needle
Now I know, I know, I know...
- I've seen the needle and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's like a settin' sun.
- King Heroin is my shepherd, I shall always want. He maketh me to lie down in the gutters. He leadeth me beside the troubled waters. He destroyeth my soul. He leadeth me in the paths of wickedness for the effort's sake. Yea, I shall walk through the valley of poverty and will fear all evil for thou, Heroin, art with me. Thy Needle and capsule try to comfort me. Thou strippest the table of groceries in the presence of my family. Thou robbest my head of reason. My cup of sorrow runneth over. Surely heroin addiction shall stalk me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the House of the Damned forever.
- Author unknown, "The Psalm of the Addict"; reported in Congressional Record (July 31, 1971), vol. 117, p. 28511. A newspaper clipping of this was found with the body of a young woman suicide in Rockingham County, North Carolina, and it was subsequently reprinted in an editorial in the Morganton, North Carolina, News-Herald (May 12, 1971).