global online social networking service
Facebook is a social networking service launched in February 2004, which since September 2012 has over one billion active users.
Quotes about FacebookEdit
- I think MySpace is doomed, I give them about two more years. [...] I think Facebook is the next Microsoft in both the bad and the good senses. That's an amazing company that is going to do a lot of good and bad things.
- I think with all technology, people have an idea of how it will be used, but then it has a life of its own and people use it in all kinds of ways. In the same way with Facebook. I doubt when people first created Facebook they imagined it was going to help people in Egypt overthrow a dictator. So it does have a life of its own that we can’t predict.
- Heather Brooke, "Chatham House Talk", 28 September 2011.
- I have one friend whose Facebook updates are exclusively complaining about Facebook.
- Paul F. Tompkins, Pod F. Tompkast, "EXTRASODE: Chik Tract", 31 July 2012.
- I doff my fedora to this Facebook! It's the smartest way to keep people dumb since we started fluoridating the water.
- Henry Topple (John Hodgman) Codefellas. Wired (17 July 2013). Codefellas EP4: The AntiSocial Network - WIRED - YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved on 2013-08-21.
- Facebook has now firmly established itself as a hub on the internet, making it a destination for surfers to do multiple tasks such as communications, gaming, shopping, photo-sharing and information gathering.
- Chris Green - an analyst at the Davies Murphy Group consultancy, quoted on BBC News, "Facebook tops Google searches for UK in 2013", 17 December 2013.
- Facebook likes to present itself as a tech company, but often appears more like an advertising corporation that happens to use digital technology in order to conduct its core business. [...] Facebook represents a new kind of corporate power, the dimensions of which are only now becoming apparent.
- "The Observer view on how Facebook’s destructive ethos imperils democracy" (editorial), The Observer, 17 March 2018.
Quotes from FacebookEdit
- We believe that a key part of combating extremism is preventing recruitment by disrupting the underlying ideologies that drive people to commit acts of violence. That's why we support a variety of counterspeech efforts.
- Monika Bickert, Facebook's head of global policy management, as reported by CNBC, January 17, 2018