Egypt (Arabic: مِصر), officially the Arab Republic of Egypt, is a country mainly in North Africa, with the Sinai Peninsula forming a land bridge in Southwest Asia. Egypt is one of the most populous countries in Africa and the Middle East. The great majority of its estimated 80 million people live near the banks of the Nile River, in an area of about 40,000 square kilometers (15,000 sq mi), where the only arable land is found.
|This Geography article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- On behalf of the American people, I thank the world for its outpouring of support. America will never forget the sounds of our National Anthem playing at Buckingham Palace, on the streets of Paris, and at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate. We will not forget South Korean children gathering to pray outside our embassy in Seoul, or the prayers of sympathy offered at a mosque in Cairo. We will not forget moments of silence and days of mourning in Australia and Africa...
- Egypt! from whose all dateless tombs arose
Forgotten Pharaohs from their long repose,
And shook within their pyramids to hear
A new Cambyses thundering in their ear;
While the dark shades of forty ages stood
Like startled giants by Nile's famous flood.
- Lord Byron, The Age of Bronze (1823), V; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 218.
- That is the scary and dangerous thing about now trying to do business with Egypt because you've got these agencies that are fighting amongst themselves
- Al Conway, a U.S. trader and consultant for Cascade Commodity Consulting Company, quoted on CNBC (February 9, 2016), "UPDATE 2-Bunge challenges Egypt over rejected French wheat cargo"
- And they spoiled the Egyptians.
- Exodus, XII. 36; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 218.
- The Egyptian scales of justice are not reversible. There is no justice in Egypt. No reason. Logic committed suicide a while ago. Egypt went crazy. Egypt is ruled by a bunch of lunatics.
- Mohammed Abu Hurira, as quoted in "Four-year-old sentenced to life in prison for murder in Egypt" (19 February 2016), by Caroline Mortimer, The Independent.
- We are good fighters but lousy builders. Our last piece of original architecture was during ancient Egypt. What are we known for now?
- Michael Matogo, The Burden of a Great Legacy (4 October 2001).