Egypt (Arabic: مِصر), officially the Arab Republic of Egypt, is a country mainly in North Africa, with the Sinai Peninsula forming a land bridge in Southwest Asia. Egypt is one of the most populous countries in Africa and the Middle East. The great majority of its estimated 80 million people live near the banks of the Nile River, in an area of about 40,000 square kilometers (15,000 sq mi), where the only arable land is found.
- On behalf of the American people, I thank the world for its outpouring of support. America will never forget the sounds of our National Anthem playing at Buckingham Palace, on the streets of Paris, and at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate. We will not forget South Korean children gathering to pray outside our embassy in Seoul, or the prayers of sympathy offered at a mosque in Cairo. We will not forget moments of silence and days of mourning in Australia and Africa...
- That is the scary and dangerous thing about now trying to do business with Egypt because you've got these agencies that are fighting amongst themselves
- Al Conway, a U.S. trader and consultant for Cascade Commodity Consulting Company, quoted on CNBC (February 9, 2016), "UPDATE 2-Bunge challenges Egypt over rejected French wheat cargo"
- More than 80 percent of Egyptian women said they’d experienced sexual harassment, and more than 60 percent of men admitted to harassing women. A 2013 UN survey reported that 99.3 percent of Egyptian women experience street sexual harassment. Men grope and sexually assault us, and yet we are blamed for it because we were in the wrong place at the wrong time, wearing the wrong thing.
- The Egyptian scales of justice are not reversible. There is no justice in Egypt. No reason. Logic committed suicide a while ago. Egypt went crazy. Egypt is ruled by a bunch of lunatics.
- Mohammed Abu Hurira, as quoted in "Four-year-old sentenced to life in prison for murder in Egypt" (19 February 2016), by Caroline Mortimer, The Independent.
- We are good fighters but lousy builders. Our last piece of original architecture was during ancient Egypt. What are we known for now?
- Michael Matogo, The Burden of a Great Legacy (4 October 2001).
- The population of Egypt has doubled since 1975 to more than 80 million today.
- Gideon Rachman, "Mass migration into Europe is unstoppable" (11 January 2016), Financial Times.
- Slavery existed all over the world. The Egyptians had slaves...
- Did somebody have a nice little chat about the 2 billion dollars in aid money we give Egypt every year?
- Sexual assault in public is so pervasive in Egypt that the authorities ban men from some cars on the subway so women can get to work in the morning without being mauled.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical QuotationsEdit
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 218.
- Egypt! from whose all dateless tombs arose
Forgotten Pharaohs from their long repose,
And shook within their pyramids to hear
A new Cambyses thundering in their ear;
While the dark shades of forty ages stood
Like startled giants by Nile's famous flood.
- Lord Byron, The Age of Bronze, V.
- And they spoiled the Egyptians.
- Exodus, XII. 36.