LGBT or GLBT is an initialism that stands for lesbian, gay, bisexuality, and transgender. In use since the 1990s, the term is an adaptation of the initialism LGB, which was used to replace the term gay in reference to the LGBT community beginning in the mid-to-late 1980s. Activists believed that the term gay community did not accurately represent all those to whom it referred.
- "...Trans persons should have the right to access legal and safe healthcare which includes medical procedures, surgeries, and hormones without discrimination. Folks who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and two-spirit should not be forced into conversion therapy and should have the right to engage in sexual relationships without violations towards their bodily autonomy...."
- Shahzi Bokhari What Bodily Autonomy Means - Raise the Hammer May 29, 2019
- The terrorist in Orlando targeted LGBT Americans out of hatred and bigotry, and an attack on any American is an attack on all Americans.
- We will defend all our rights – civil rights, human rights and voting rights… women's rights and workers' rights… LGBT rights and the rights of people with disabilities!
- At a time when Americans are increasingly supportive of equal rights for gay, lesbian, and transgender people, a growing percentage of Americans identify themselves as LGBT. With younger generations far more likely than older generations to consider themselves LGBT, that growth should continue
- Gay and lesbian Americans cannot be treated as social outcasts or as inferior in dignity and worth.
- Brett Kavanaugh, Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia, 590 U.S. ___ (2020) (dissenting), reported in Dawn Ennis, "Supreme Court To Gay And Transgender Workers: You’re Equal", Forbes (June 15, 2020).
- [Talking with young students today], I play the part of concerned older gent, because when I was their age [an older generation of public LGBTQA individuals] didn’t exist.
- Ian McKellen in “In new documentary, Ian McKellen reflects on Magneto, Gandalf”, by Nathan Mattise, Ars Technica, (7/8/2018).
- At the 2008 Lambda Literary Awards (the awards the LGBT community gives to books ignored by straight book awards) not a single lesbian book nominated for best novel was published by a mainstream press. Our literature is disappearing at the same time we are being told we are winning our rights. How can we be equal citizens if our stories are not allowed to be part of our nation's story?
- Sarah Schulman, The Gentrification of the Mind: Witness to a Lost Imagination (2012), p. 151
- Our nation stands together in solidarity with the members of Orlando’s LGBT community. They have been through something that nobody could ever experience. This is a very dark moment in America’s history. A radical Islamic terrorist targeted the nightclub, not only because he wanted to kill Americans, but in order to execute gay and lesbian citizens, because of their sexual orientation.
- The reality is that LGBTQ+ people face challenges at disproportionally higher rates than their straight counterparts - drug use, sex work, and financial instability can be an unfortunate result. My privilege as a young cis white man whose parents weren't going to let me drown afforded me the ability to make those mistakes and live to talk about it.
- Jonathan Van Ness, Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love (2019), p. 117/118