this a terrible page so anti woman
- "Women have something in common with the Universe. That is they are both constantly expanding with time." ~ Richard Dias-Wanigasekera
What a dispicable collection of quotations on women! I came to this site looking for inspiration and instead, was enraged. Surely some notable people out there, past and present, have something more intelligent and more respectable to say about the fairer sex than we are baby-making machines. Napoleon... go figure.
- It is a fact of life that men, even the most enlightened and egalitarian among them, are woefully ignorant of how consistently and universally women are discriminated against merely because they are women.
- It is equally true that woman are consistently and universally ignorant of the psychological advantages they have by being born women, potential mothers of the future.
- The bigoted suppression of a woman's talents because she is a woman is as ultimately futile as attempts to win so called 'equality' with men: men and women will never be biologically 'equal' - so it is time to stop gender-stereotyping and start judging each and every human being on their own merits and abilities.
I am proudly and humbly a woman. Shir-El too 22:50, 11 September 2007 (UTC)
PS This should remain a separate catagory if male 'aviators' are differentiated from 'men'. Shir-El too 22:54, 11 September 2007 (UTC)
Use of QuotesEdit
I'm using these quotes for a history project and they fit right in with my topic. However, I'd suggest that they add some quotes from Jaqueline Cochran, the founder and director of the WASP organization. Some Nancy H. Love quotes might be nice also. I think that these quotes would help any project on this topic..quotes always do. Any project on women pilots could use quotes like these.
And, on the contrary, These quotes bring out the admirable qualities in women and their accomplishments. These women achieved something that had never been accomplished before, and, ultimately, helped future women gain the well-deserved liberties we have today. Which is an amazing and inspiring accomplishment.18.104.22.168 22:14, 14 January 2010 (UTC)
Cleaned up format - but I agree with previous posters that the current quote selection has an emphatically hostile bias. Gordonofcartoon 13:39, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
Moved here pending proper sourcing per current practice. Gordonofcartoon 12:53, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- The day will come when men will recognize woman as his peer, not only at the fireside, but in councils of the nation. Then, and not until then, will there be the perfect comradeship, the ideal union between the sexes that shall result in the highest development of the race.
- The only question left to be settled now is, are women persons?
- Women get more unhappy the more they try to liberate themselves.
- You see, dear, it is not true that woman was made from man's rib; she was really made from his funny bone.
- The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run.
- Women are nothing but machines for producing children.
- When women are depressed, they eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking.
- Women are most adorable when they are afraid; that's why they frighten so easily.
- A woman past forty should make up her mind to be young- not her face.
- A woman is but an animal, and an animal not of the highest order.
- If a woman likes another woman, she's cordial. If she doesn't like her, she's very cordial.
- Being a woman is a terribly difficult task since it consists principally in dealing with men.
- Boys don't make passes at female smart asses.
- A boy dreams with a sword in his hand. A girl gives him purpose, a reason to draw it from its scabbard.
- Bryan Davis, "Tears Of A Dragon"
- Housework is what a woman does that nobody notices unless she hasn't done it.
- Women are like elephants. They are interesting to look at, but I wouldn't like to own one.
- When a man gets up to speak, people listen then look. When a woman gets up to speak, people look then, if they like what they see, they listen.
- Pauline Frederick
- It must be admitted that women have but little sense of justice, and this is no doubt connected with the preponderance of envy in their mental life.
- I'm sorry Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
- A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: she changes it more often.
- A woman has to be twice as good as a man to go half as far.
- A woman's guess is much more accurate than a man's certainty.
- A woman is like an... artichoke. You have to do a bit of work before you get to the heart.
- Steve Martin, The Pink Panther
- Women should be obscene and not heard.
- Whether women are better than men I cannot say- but I can say they are certainly no worse.
- Ah, women. They make the highs higher, and the lows more frequent.
- Behind all their personal vanity, women themselves always have an impersonal contempt for woman.
- Women are considered deep - why? Because one can never discover any bottom to them.
- For the woman, the man is a means: the end is always the child.
- The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.
- Women: You can't live with them, and you can't get them to dress up in a skimpy little Nazi costume and beat you with a warm squash or something.
- Emo Philips, E=MO^2
- No woman ever hates a man for being in love with her, but many a woman hate a man for being a friend to her.
- I do note with interest that old women in my books become young women on the covers... this is discrimination against the chronologically gifted."
- Women are like teeth. They are easily replaced.
- In our civilization men are afraid they will not be men enough, and women are afraid they might be considered only women.
- Women would rule the world - if only they'd stop bitchin' about each other!
- There are no ugly women, only lazy ones.
- Once made equal to man, woman becomes his superior.
- A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.
- In my heart, I think a woman has two choices: either she's a feminist or a masochist.
- To varying degrees, all chicks are sluts - except for my mum, and I'm not sure about yours.
- TB - Based on a SB Truism
- I hate women because they always know where things are.
- A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he does not love her.
- All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
- How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being?
- Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a man's last romance.
- There is nothing in the world like the devotion of a married woman. It is a thing no married man knows anything about.
- Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
- If you can make a woman laugh you can do anything with her.
- Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.
- A woman always likes to be on top, but it never lasts.
- The stages of a woman in her relationships with men: Good--->Decent--->Slut--->Bitch. Parents (initially) and men will most of the time be the ones that accelerate, decelerate or stop this trajectory. And the worst problem is that it is nearly impossible to go back to an earlier state.
- A woman is an angel at ten, a saint at fifteen, a devil at fourty, and a witch at forescore.
- English proverb
- A woman's strength is in her tongue.
- English proverb
Misattributed quote of the BuddhaEdit
In this entry, the Buddha is wrongly quoted as saying, "Women, with their two-fingered wisdom [i.e. stupid], have a difficult time [understanding what I teach]." This paraphrase is taken completely out of context, however. If one were to read the sutta in question (SN 5.2, Soma), one would see that this is a line from Mara (the Buddhist equivalent of the Devil) who, desiring to make a bhikkhuni named Soma 'fall away from concentration,' voices an ancient bias, saying:
"That state so hard to achieve
Which is to be attained by the seers,
Can't be attained by a woman
With her two-fingered wisdom"
But Soma's response shows not only her wisdom, but counters this bias by replying:
"What does womanhood matter at all
When the mind is concentrated well,
When knowledge flows on steadily
As one sees correctly into Dhamma.
One to whom it might occur,
'I'm a woman' or 'I'm a man'
Or 'I'm anything at all' —
Is fit for Mara to address."
A rejoinder that, in the words of Bhikkhu Bodhi, "is a forceful reminder that enlightenment does not depend on gender but on the mind's capacity for concentration and wisdom, qualities accessible to any human being who earnestly seeks to penetrate the truth" (Discourses of the Ancient Nuns). The sutta is actually saying the opposite of what this misattribution is implying.
Quotes requiring additional source informationEdit
- Pleasure is like a food of the senses. Japanese women hunger for this food and seek to satisfy themselves by cultivating shunjo (sexuality)...They bring about the perils of weakening their body and mind and passing (their weakness) down hereditarily to their children. Although there are some that claim to be healthy, they are diseased...They suffer from hysterias, uterine illnesses, and neuroses...Women all over Japan will suffer from these traumas and pass down this peril to their children and descendants, preventing the development of our race.
- On Japanese Women by Fukuzawa Yukichi