Anonymous is the adjective form of anonymity derived from the Greek word ἀνωνυμία, anonymia, meaning "without a name" or "namelessness." It commonly refers to the state of an individual's personal identity, or personally identifiable information, being publicly unknown, intentionally or unintentionally. This article is for famous or notable quotes whose author is unknown.
- Patriotism - There are people in every country who shamelessly hide their corrupt practises and sheer incompetence behind their country's flag.
- Quoted in Dennett, Daniel C. (2006). Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon (1st ed. ed.). Viking Penguin. pp. p. 17. ISBN 0-670-03472-X.
- Praise undeserv'd is satire in disguise.
- Question everything, accept nothing.
- Quoted by Ethan Skyler; used in 2002 in reference to Galileo, para 9 
- Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to understand.
- Appeared in "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal", but may or may not have been in existence beforehand.
- Remember the Alamo!
- Common American war cry
- Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will still be among the stars.
- Attributed to "Les Brown" (specific person not identified)
You ladies, young and beautiful, we kindly you invite,
To come to our grand So ree and Ball to spend a happy night,
So heed the invitation, and come with hearts so true,
Unto the boys of Tubbermore, who love to wear the blue.
- Poem from an invitational ticket to "A Grand Ball" in connection with Tobermore Flute Band that was held on Friday, 23rd October 1896.
Whatever you have to say, my friend,
Whether witty or grave or gay,
Condense as much as ever you can,
And say it the readiest way;
And whether you write of rural affairs
Or of matter and things in town,
Just take a word of friendly advice—
Boil it down.
- ”Boil it down”, poem in Manitoba Free Press, June 5, 1875
- ”The best place for a village”, Serbian erotic folk song
- ”Pearl”, 14th century
- ”Sumer is icumen in”, 13th century English folk song
- What we would achieve is, therefore, plainly and simply,—
Second, Establishment of a free society based upon co-operative organization of production.
Sixth, Regulation of all public affairs by free contracts between the autonomous (independent) communes and associations, resting on a federalistic basis.
Whoever agrees with this ideal let him grasp our outstretched brother hands!
Proletarians of all countries, unite!
There exists now no great obstacle to that unity. The work of peaceful education and revolutionary conspiracy well can and ought to run in parallel lines.
The day has come for solidarity. Join our ranks! Let the drum beat defiantly the roll of battle, "Workmen of all lands, unite! You have nothing to loose but your chains; you have a world to win!"
Tremble, oppressors of the world! Not far beyond your purblind sight there dawns the scarlet and sable lights of the Judgment Day.
- Proverbs, which are often passed down through the generations anonymously
- Bible— much of its material is of disputed authorship and is not believed to have been written by its purported authors
- Laozi— likely mythical founder of Taoism, most sayings attributed to him were probably written anonymously