building intended for living in
A house is a building that functions as a home for humans or other creatures, including simple dwellings ranging from rudimentary huts of nomadic tribes and complex structures composed of many systems.
- Sed non solum locum Ecclesiae zelare debemus, sed hanc quoque interiorem in nobis domum Dei; ne sit domus negotiationis, aut spelunca latronum.
- There is a house built out of stone
Wooden floors, walls and window sills
Tables and chairs worn by all of the dust
This is a place where I don't feel alone
This is a place where I feel at home
- If no serious action is taken, [said UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 2003] the number of slum dwellers worldwide is projected to rise over the next 30 years to about 2 billion.
- What is the purpose of houses? It is to protect us from the wind and cold of winter, the heat and rain of summer, and to keep out robbers and thieves. Once these ends have been secured, that is all. Whatever does not contribute to these ends should be eliminated.
- Mozi, Mozi (5th century BC) Ch 20
- Shelter is a human need ranking in priority with food and water and a home is an essential condition of civilized life. Once these truths are seen, homelessness will be recognized for what it is: an affront to human dignity and the denial of a basic human right.
- Lord Scarman, president of the United Kingdom Council for the International Year of Shelter for the Homeless, as attributed in The Homeless—Is There a Hope?, Awake! magazine article, 1998 3/8.
- * He who destroys houses destroys silver. He who destroys a house destroys gold.
- Hand added to hand, and a man's house is built up.
- A loving heart builds houses. A hating heart destroys houses.
- Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including . . . housing.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 25.
- They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat. For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree, And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full.
- Isaiah 65: 21-22 NWT
- Whoever troubles his own household will inherit the wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise of heart.
- Proverbs 11:29 Enlish Standard Version
- Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
- Proverbs 24:3-4 KJV