building usually intended for living in
A house is a building that functions as a home for humans or other creatures, including simple dwellings ranging from rudimentary huts of nomadic tribes and complex structures composed of many systems.
- Sed non solum locum Ecclesiae zelare debemus, sed hanc quoque interiorem in nobis domum Dei; ne sit domus negotiationis, aut spelunca latronum.
- As is well-known, the U.S. went off the rails in its home-ownership and mortgage-lending policies, and for these mistakes our economy is now paying a huge price. All of us participated in the destructive behavior – government, lenders, borrowers, the media, rating agencies, you name it. At the core of the folly was the almost universal belief that the value of houses was certain to increase over time and that any dips would be inconsequential. The acceptance of this premise justified almost any price and practice in housing transactions. Homeowners everywhere felt richer and rushed to “monetize” the increased value of their homes by refinancings. These massive cash infusions fueled a consumption binge throughout our economy. It all seemed great fun while it lasted. (A largely unnoted fact: Large numbers of people who have “lost” their house through foreclosure have actually realized a profit because they carried out refinancings earlier that gave them cash in excess of their cost. In these cases, the evicted homeowner was the winner, and the victim was the lender.)
In 2007, the bubble burst, just as all bubbles must. We are now in the fourth year of a cure that, though long and painful, is sure to succeed. Today, household formations are consistently exceeding housing starts.
- Warren Buffett, Chairman's Letter - 2011. Berkshire Hathaway (February 25, 2012).
- There is a house built out of stone
Wooden floors, walls and window sills
Tables and chairs worn by all of the dust
This is a place where I don't feel alone
This is a place where I feel at home
- Phil France, Jason Swinscoe and Patrick Watson, To Build a Home from the album Ma Fleur (2007)
- If no serious action is taken, [said UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 2003] the number of slum dwellers worldwide is projected to rise over the next 30 years to about 2 billion.
- Kofi Annan, Everyone Needs a Home, Awake! magazine article, 2005, 9/22.
- Unfortunately, throughout the housing crisis we’ve seen innocent homeowners who have been victims of shady mortgage lenders and unscrupulous individuals who have used a down market to line their own pockets at the expense of others. This bill is designed to send a message by revising our laws to ensure criminals are brought to justice and that law enforcement has the tools to uncover these fraudulent schemes and go after the bad actors. Criminals should be put on notice that ripping off homeowners and taxpayers won’t be tolerated.
- Chuck Grassley quoted in "Congress Targets Mortgage Fraud: Justice for Victims, Jail for the Guilty," Tri-State Defender (2009-02-12)
- What is the purpose of houses? It is to protect us from the wind and cold of winter, the heat and rain of summer, and to keep out robbers and thieves. Once these ends have been secured, that is all. Whatever does not contribute to these ends should be eliminated.
- Mozi, Mozi (5th century BC) Ch 20
- Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.
- Abraham Lincoln, reply to New York Workingmen's Democratic Republican Association (21 March 1864), Collected Works, Vol. 7, p. 259-260 1:566
- Shelter is a human need ranking in priority with food and water and a home is an essential condition of civilized life. Once these truths are seen, homelessness will be recognized for what it is: an affront to human dignity and the denial of a basic human right.
- Lord Scarman, president of the United Kingdom Council for the International Year of Shelter for the Homeless, as attributed in The Homeless—Is There a Hope?, Awake! magazine article, 1998 3/8.
- He who destroys houses destroys silver. He who destroys a house destroys gold.
- Hand added to hand, and a man's house is built up.
- A loving heart builds houses. A hating heart destroys houses.
- Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including . . . housing.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 25.
- They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat. For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree, And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full.
- Isaiah 65: 21-22 NWT
- Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
- Jesus, Matthew 23:38, KJV
- Whoever troubles his own household will inherit the wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise of heart.
- Proverbs 11:29 Enlish Standard Version
- Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
- Proverbs 24:3-4 KJV