This is a list of episodes in Pokémon: Indigo League, the first season of the Pokémon animated series (ポケットモンスター Poketto Monsutā?, Pocket Monsters), covering the adventures of the series protagonist Ash Ketchum and his friends Pikachu, Misty, and Brock on the way to the Indigo Plateau.
Pokémon: I Choose You!Edit
- Ash: Hey! Get outta there! Agh...
- [A Rattata runs away from Ash's backpack.]
- Pokédex: A forest Pokémon: Rattata. It likes cheese, nuts, fruits, and berries.
- Ash: Yeah, but this isn't a forest. It's an open field!
- Pokédex: It also comes out into open fields to steal food from stupid travelers.
- Ash: That means I-I'm stupid?
- [Pikachu laughs hysterically from a tree branch.]
- [Ash and Pikachu, who considered the former an enemy he wouldn't obey, are being chased by a flock of Spearows. He "borrowed" the bicycle of a young girl, later known as Misty, to flee them, but he eventually rode off a cliff, falling off of the bike, with the Spearow still eager to attack them. Ash then persuades Pikachu, who became weak after the trip, to enter its Poké Ball, but to no avail. This gives Ash no choice but to muster up the guts to take on the Spearow himself.]
- Ash: Spearows, do you know who I am?! I am Ash, from the town of Pallet! I'm destined to be the world's number one Pokémon Master. I can't be defeated by the likes of you.
- [Pikachu, hearing Ash's speech, starts to pay attention to his Trainer's bravery as he continues on.]
- I'm going to capture and defeat you all! You hear me?! [The Spearow hone in on Ash in the final moments before their attack, leading him to plead one last time for Pikachu's safety.]
- [to Pikachu] Pikachu, go inside the Poké Ball; it's the only way! [It looks down at the Poké Ball, and then back at Ash.]
- [A lightning bolt strikes behind the Spearow.]
- [to the Spearow] Come and get me!!!
- [As the Spearow charge in toward Ash, Pikachu does what is to Ash the unthinkable, running toward him, climbing onto his shoulder, and jumping off it to counter the Spearow, realizing how much danger his Trainer was really in, even if he did hate him at first.]
- Pikachu: Pika-chuuuu!!!
- Ash: Whoa!!
- [He releases a powerful Thunder Shock, dispersing the Spearow and creating a large explosion in the area. This action is the very first moment of a friendship that would become everlasting.]
- [In the aftermath of Pikachu's act of defense toward Ash, the rainy night turns into a sunny morning. The camera pans toward Ash and Pikachu, not before revealing that Misty's bike that Ash took to escape the Spearow flock was destroyed by the Thunder Shock. The two of them slowly wake up.]
- Pikachu: [weakly] Pikachu...
- Ash: [breathes a sigh of relief] Well... we beat 'em.
- Pikachu: Chu...
- [In the sky, a large golden bird-like Pokémon, which later was revealed as the Legendary Pokémon Ho-Oh, cries out as it flies over Ash and Pikachu as a sign of amazing things to come. This appearance served as a teaser that there would be a second generation of Pokémon games, Gold and Silver, the former of which Ho-Oh would be the mascot. Contrary to popular belief, the first appearance of the Legendary Pokémon was not in this first episode; it was revealed to the Japanese readers of CoroCoro a full nine months before the episode's April Fools Day 1997 airing.]
- Ash: Huh...? [He notices what he does not yet know to be Ho-Oh as it flies off towards a rainbow, leaving a trail of sparkles.]
- What's that?
- Pokédex: There is no data. There are still Pokémon yet to be identified.
- [Ho-Oh is seen one last time flying off into the bright blue sky.]
- Narrator This is just the beginning of the amazing adventures of Ash and Pikachu. Their journey is destined to be packed with non-stop action, millions of laughs, heart-pounding perils, and endless excitement.
- [As the narrator speaks, Ash, holding Pikachu, stops at the top of a hill. Pikachu then licks Ash's face, which moves him to near tears. However, he holds them in, as he realizes he must get to a Pokémon Center to heal Pikachu's wounds as soon as possible.]
- Narrator: Together, they'll encounter fantastic friends, evil enemies and meet creatures beyond their wildest imagination, and as their story unfolds, we'll unlock the magic and mystery of a most wondrous place: the incredible world of Pokémon!
- Officer Jenny: I left my motorcycle parked at the front desk!
- Nurse Joy: Next time, use the driveway.
- Professor Oak: When my grandson Gary said that you wouldn't have a single new Pokémon by the time you got to Viridian City, I bet him $1,000,000 that he'd be wrong!
- Ash: [surprised] Well, money isn't everything, right?
- Professor Oak: [dejected] Oh, why do I even bother?
- [Misty confronts Ash at the Pokémon Center with her burnt bicycle]
- Misty: I knew I'd find you here!
- Ash: [seeing that her bike is destroyed] Hey, what happened to your bike?!
- Misty: What happened to my bike?! You happened to my bike, you little loser! This is what's left after you stole it to save your Pokémon!
- [Ash, Misty, and Nurse Joy have their lines of sight impaired by a Koffing's Smokescreen attack.]
- Ash: What are... who are they?!
- Jessie: Don't be frightened, little boy.
- James: Allow us to introduce ourselves.
- [A teenage girl and boy emerge from the smoke.]
- Jessie: To protect the world from devastation.
- James: To unite all peoples within our nation.
- Jessie: To denounce the evils of truth and love!
- James: To extend our reach to the stars above.
- Jessie: Jessie!
- James: James.
- Jessie: Team Rocket! Blast off at the speed of light!
- James: Surrender now or prepare to fight!
- Meowth:[appearing from the top of the screen] Meowth! That's right~!
- Misty: You grab Pikachu and get out of here! I'll take care of these three clowns.
- Jessie: That's pretty big talk coming from such a little lady.
- Misty: At least you're right about the pretty part, thanks for the compliment.
- James: The girl thinks she's pretty.
- Jessie: I agree with her. I think she's pretty, too. Pretty pathetic!
- Misty: Hmmmm, I'll show you! Poké Ball, go!
- [Goldeen comes out rolling and jumping on the floor, to Jessie and James' shock]
- Misty: Goldeen, return!
- Jessie: That's her best shot?
- James: She's all washed up.
- Officer Jenny: Too late, but not for the fireworks!
- Meowth: That Pikachu is no ordinary Pikachu.
- James: It's certainly very rare. A perfect prize!
- Jessie: Let's catch it!
- Meowth: Perhaps, we will.
- [All three scream as their popped balloon is sent hurtling through the night.]
Ash Catches a PokémonEdit
- Ash: [hugging his Poké-Ball] I love my new little Pokémon!
- Misty: I guess it takes a worm to love a worm.
- Ash: [sarcastically] Very funny.
- Misty: [about Caterpie] It's so gross. [scared] Ash, put that slimy thing back in the Poké-Ball! Bugs are one of the three most disgusting things in the world!
- Ash: Aside from you, what are the other disgusting things?
- Misty: Very funny. Carrots, peppers, and bugs. Everybody has something they don't like and I don't like bugs!
- Ash: Well, yeah, I like carrots, and peppers, and bugs. What I don't like is the way you're hurting Caterpie's feelings with your silly fear of bugs.
- Misty: [dismissively] Hmph!
Challenge of the SamuraiEdit
- [Misty screams]
- Ash: What's wrong now?
- Misty: I saw another bug. Gross!
- [Pikachu and Ash sigh]
- Ash: Maybe its a Cow-terpie!
- James: Do you have any more bright ideas?
- Jessie: Well, unlike you at least I have ideas!
- Meowth: Yeah, and they're all bad.
- Jessie: WHO ASKED YOU?!
Showdown in Pewter CityEdit
- Ash: My conscience is holding me back! I can't bring myself to beat Brock! I'm imagining his little brothers and sisters stopping me from beating the one person they love!
- Misty: Uh, Ash, I think you better you open your eyes!
- Misty: DON'T FORGET ABOUT MY BIKE, ASH KETCHUM! I'M GONNA FOLLOW YOU UNTIL YOU PAY ME BACK!
Clefairy and the Moon StoneEdit
- Jessie: Well, it looks like Team Rocket is....
- James: Blasting off again!
- Meowth: That was the Metronome!
- Jessie: I give it two thumbs down!
- James: Me too!
- Meowth: Meowth three!
The Water Flowers of Cerulean CityEdit
- James: The coast is clear.
- Jessie: Nothing to fear.
- Meowth: Nobody here!
- Misty: Oh no! Staryu looks like it's in real pain!
- Ash: It doesn't even have a face. How can you tell?
- Misty: Because I'm sensitive to other's feelings! That's how!
- Ash: [sarcastically] Oh, yeah? Like I'm not?
- Ash: Misty, you're not gonna be a sore loser, aren't you?
- Misty: I didn't lose anything! It was just a draw!
- Ash: Well, I'm the one who won the badge!
- Misty: You know you lost with Butterfree!
- Ash: That was just round 1. I made a great comeback!
- Misty: If Team Rocket hadn't busted in, I would've destroyed you!
- Ash: You're lucky they've showed up. You were about to lose!
- Misty: Lose?! I was just getting started!
- Ash: Oh, yeah?!
- Misty: Oh, yeah!
- Brock: Oh, brother!
The Path to the Pokémon LeagueEdit
The School of Hard KnocksEdit
- Misty: All that crunching is ruining my romantic daydreams!
Bulbasaur and the Hidden VillageEdit
Charmander - The Stray PokémonEdit
- Misty: I just can't go one step further. We've been looking for Vermilion City for 10 whole days!
Here Comes the Squirtle SquadEdit
- Misty: It's Meowth!
- Ash: Meowth?!
Mystery at the LighthouseEdit
Electric Shock ShowdownEdit
- Ash: Use the strategy we planned, Pikachu! You can do it!
- Surge: A strategy? So they've planned a new way to lose!
Battle Aboard the St. AnneEdit
- James: Wait! There goes my next paycheck!
- Jessie: Who cares about your paycheck? What about mine?!
- Meowth: We gotta get out of here!
- Captain: May I have your attention? Anyone who didn't leave the ship safely, please say "Aye." Good. Well done. Everyone's safe then.
- James: Jessica?
- Jessie: Yes, James?
- James: Whoever said beauty doesn't last must've been thinking of us!
- Jessie: I'll always remember what a wonderful dresser you were!
- James: So will I!
- Jessie: Dimwit! If you're the master, don't act like you're scared of it!
- James: I am scared!
- Misty: Now you've done it! Magikarp has evolved into a Gyarados!
- Jessie: Gyarados?! I miss Magikarp!
Island of the Giant PokémonEdit
- [All Pokémon are speaking in Pokémon language, with English subtitles translating their speech.]
- Squirtle: Maybe they got eaten by wild Pokémon. [makes a scary face with razor-sharp teeth, making a chomping motion]
- Pikachu: Don't say things like that!
- Charmander: Yeah, cut it out!
- Squirtle: Sorry.
- [after a giant Venusaur is spotted]
- Squirtle: [to Bulbasaur] You go and speak to it, you guys are like family!
- Bulbasaur: No way. I have no family. Consider me an orphan.
- Charmander: Good point.
- Squirtle: Coward.
- Giovanni: What?! Pokémon Land has been totally destroyed?! [growls] I spent millions on that place!
Beauty and the BeachEdit
- Prof. Oak: Your mother's been worried about you, Ash. She says she still thinks of you as her little pumpkin.
- Ash: That makes me sound like a baby.
- Delia: You'll always be my baby, won't you?
- Ash: Yeah.
- Delia: Well, I just hope you aren't eating a lot of junk food and getting into any trouble.
- Ash: Of course not!
- [he suddenly remembers his boat accident]
- Ash: At least not a lotta trouble.
- Delia: What's that mean?
- Moe: I'm the one who got into trouble, Mrs. Ketchum. Ash helped out at my restaurant when I really needed help. But even more importantly, your son has been a great inspiration to me.
- Delia: That's wonderful! What a relief.
- Ash: Thanks, Moe.
Tentacool & TentacruelEdit
The Ghost of Maiden's PeakEdit
- Misty: Then how about this!
- Gastly: What's that?
- Misty: It's a cross! I've also got garlic, a stake, and a hammer!
- Gastly: ...What do I look like, a vampire or something?
Bye Bye ButterfreeEdit
Abra and the Psychic ShowdownEdit
The Tower of TerrorEdit
- Ash: [after frightening his group with a mask] Sorry, guys! I was just testing you. If we're gonna try to catch a Ghost Pokémon, we gotta learn to deal with fear. That's the only way we can become great Pokémon trainers.
- Misty: You must be crazy!
- Brock: Don't ever do that!
Haunter vs KadabraEdit
- James: With a flick of this fishing net, we'll round up Pikachu.
- Meowth: You mean that's your secret weapon?!
- James: It takes a genius to realize a fishing net is the perfect weapon!
- Jessie: Oh, James, it's the greatest discovery since Einstein invented the light bulb!
- Jessie and James: [sing and dance] Even greater than the chicken who invented the egg!
- [the egg falls on them]
- James: All of us true geniuses know, of course, that it was actually the egg that preceded the chicken.
- Jessie: Of course. I knew that. I had just forgotten.
- Meowth: Now you got my brain scrambled! Let's cut the egg-splanations and capture Pikachu!
- Jessie: Hello, up there! Anyone!! We're trapped down here!!!
- James: Stop pouring cement!
- Meowth: Get me out of here!
- Jessie: A little cement....
- James: Will never stop Team Rocket.
- Meowth: A little cement....
Primeape Goes BananasEdit
- Professor Oak: I can't write a good poem without rhymes, and you can't be a good Pokémon trainer without catching more Pokémon.
- Erika: P for Pretty, E for Elegant, R for Radiant, F for Fun, U for Urbane, M for Mysterious, E for Energy, and that spells...
- Misty: Perfume!
- Brock: Right!
- [The three employees angrily confront Ash for his rude remarks about the perfume]
- Employee 1: YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!
- Employee 2: YOU INSENSITIVE LITTLE WORM!
- Ash: What did I say?
- [The purple-haired employee kicks Ash out of the store]
- Employee 3: GET OUT! AND DON'T COME BACK!
- Ash: I don't wanna come back!! I'm on my way to the Celadon Gym!
Pokémon Fashion FlashEdit
- Narrator: So long, Salon Roquet!
The Punchy PokémonEdit
- Meowth: Honey baked ham! Roast leg of lamb!! Strawberry jam!!!
- James: Sirloin steaks! Chocolate cakes!!
- Jessie: Can't you numbskulls think of anything but food?!
Sparks Fly For MagnemiteEdit
- Ash: Gee, that Magnemite is following Pikachu around like some sort of streaker.
- Brock: Um, Ash, you mean 'stalker'.
Dig Those DiglettEdit
- James: Some principle of induced evolution.
- Jessie: [reads a manual] It says here that Pokémon need to accumulate a certain amount of experience points before they can successfully evolve.
- James: [depressed] Our experience is nothing but losing.
The Ninja Poké-ShowdownEdit
- Aya: Born in darkness, living in darkness, such is the fate of the ninja. I am Aya, ninja warrior!
- Misty: [about Aya's uniform color] But don't you think that color is a little bright for a ninja?
- Aya: I don't need your fashion report!
The Flame Pokémon-athon!Edit
- Dario: [growls] You're the reason I didn't win the Pokémon challenge! Team Rocket's the worst!!
- Jessie: We'll just have to plan better next year.
- James: And maybe you can get some nicer riding clothes.
- Meowth: And give that smelly bird a bath.
The Kangaskhan KidEdit
The Bridge Bike GangEdit
[Ash, Misty and Brock finds out Jessie and James used to belong to a bike gang]
- James: I guess our secret past is not a secret anymore.
- Ash: I kind of wish it still was!
Ditto's Mysterious MansionEdit
- James: Will you stop it, Meowth?!
- Jessie: The only way we can get out of this mess is to dress you up like a Dratini and present you to the boss.
- Meowth: Pea-brains! This won't work!!
- Meowth: It's a Pika-Palooza!
- Jessie: We're at the Pika of our powers.
- James: Chu can say that again, Jess!
The Battling Eevee BrothersEdit
- Misty: Stop that!
- Jessie: Well, it's back to eating lunch for losers.
- James: Victory tasted a lot better.
Wake Up Snorlax!Edit
Showdown at Dark CityEdit
- Jessie: Well, that was a complete waste of time.
- James: Looks like we're through.
- Meowth: [notices Electabuzz and Scyther charging at them] Huh? Unfortunately, we're not quite through yet.
- Jessie and James: Huh?
- Scyther: Scyther!
- Electabuzz: Blblblblblblbl!
- Team Rocket: AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
- James: Somebody....
- Team Rocket: HELP!!!!
The March of the Exeggutor SquadEdit
The Problem with ParasEdit
- Jessie: Well, there goes our billions.
- James: And zillions.
- Meowth: I'm a hero, but I got zero!
The Song of JigglypuffEdit
Attack of the Prehistoric PokémonEdit
- [Gary is digging for fossils and stumbles upon one]
- Gary: Success! My first Pokémon fossil!
- Fan Girls: Yay! Gary, Gary, he's the best! Found a fossil before the rest! Go, Gary!
- [an expert comes over, takes the fossil out of Gary's hands and examines it]
- Gary: Impressive, isn't it? Found it on my first try. Looks like a brain from an extinct Pokémon.
- Expert: This is-
- Gary: [hopeful] A brain?
- Expert: It's fossilized Pokémon manure. [Gary collapses in shock]
- Fan Girls: Ewwwwww. Yuck! Gross!
A Chansey OperationEdit
- Brock: I can't believe James is gone!
- Ash: I miss him!
- Misty: Grrrr... JAMES IS STANDING RIGHT HERE!
- Ash: WOAH! Look at that!
- Misty: It's huge!
- Brock: I've seen shopping malls smaller than this place!
- Misty: It must have a hundred rooms!
- Ash: It's the biggest mansion I've ever seen!
- Hopkins (the butler at James' family's mansion): This is not the mansion! This little dog house is for Growlie.
- Meowth: [sighs] I guess all of that money and luxury was just too tempting for James to give up.
So Near, Yet So Farfetch'dEdit
Who Gets to Keep Togepi?Edit
Bulbasaur's Mysterious GardenEdit
The Case of the K-9 Caper!Edit
Fire and IceEdit
- [Ash and Pikachu were having a meal at an all-you-can-eat buffet when Misty and Togepi arrive]
- Misty: Careful, Ash. All that food can make your belly as big as your head.
- Togepi: Toge, Toge.
- Ash: Thanks, Mist, but I can't help it. I got all this food for free! That's 'cause she happens to be a big fan of mine.
- Misty: [puts Togepi down] Ash, everybody in the Pokémon League gets to eat here for free. [Misty does not realize that Togepi slides off the booth seat and heads across the floor]
- Ash: What?! Really?
- Misty: I know you won twice, and that's great. But you can't let that make you crazy.
- Ash: I can't? How come?
- Misty: Oh, well. I give up.
- Pikachu: [seeing Togepi pulling the tablecloth with the cutlery on top] Pika, Pika! [the cutlery falls over] PIKACHU!!! [Pikachu dives in, but Togepi walks out of harm's way and the cutlery lands around Pikachu, who catches the fork with the teeth] Pikachu.
- Togepi: Toge, Toge, Toge. [laughs at Pikachu holding the fork with the mouth] Togepi!
The Ultimate TestEdit
- Narrator: There seems to be a little mix-up!
The Breeding Center SecretEdit
- Jessie: James! Watch where you're throwing that dirt!
- James: Watch?! I can't see the foot in front of my face!
- Meowth: If you don't quit squawkin', you'll see the foot in front of your face! Mine!!!!