Up (2009 film)
Up is a 2009 film about an old man named Carl Fredricksen and a young wilderness explorer named Russell who fly to South America in a floating house suspended from helium balloons in order to fulfill a promise to Carl's late wife.
- [After fantasizing about a way to get Russell out of his house] Well, that's not gonna work.
- [to Dug and Kevin] I don't want you here, and I don't want you here! [to Russell] I'm stuck with you!
- [to Kevin] I see you back there!
- Oh Ellie, what have I gotten myself into...?
- [after Russell fails to climb up to the house using the hose] What, that's it?! I came all this way... [echoing] ...JUST TO GET STUCK AT THE WRONG END OF THIS ROCK PILE!?
- [from teaser] Afternoon.
Charles F. MuntzEdit
- [repeated line] Adventure is out there!
- [to Carl, laughing] You came here in that? In a house? A floating house? *[laughs] That is the darnedest thing I've ever seen! You're not after my bird, are you? But if you need to borrow a cup of sugar, I'd happy to oblige.
- [revealing his true colors] You know, Carl, these people, who pass through here, they come up with pretty good stories. A surveyor making a map. [he knocks down the first helmet] A botanist cataloging plants. [he knocks down the second helmet] An old man taking his house to Paradise Falls.[he drops the last helmet] I mean, that is the best one yet. I can't wait to hear how it ends. [grins evilly]
- [last words] ENOUGH! I'm taking that bird back with me... ALIVE, OR DEAD!
- Does anyone know WHERE THEY ARE?!?!
- Get away from my bird! [smashes lantern, starting fire]
- Good afternoon. My name is Russell.
- What is it?
- Are you in need of any assistance today, sir?
- I could help you cross the street?
- I steered us with my wilderness explorer GPS. Boop, beep, beep, beep, boop. With this baby, we'll never be lost! [accidentally throws the GPS out the window] Oops.
- I know this may seem boring, but I think the boring stuff is what I remember the most.
- The wilderness must be explored! Caw-caw, roar!
- My name is Dug. I have just met you and I love you!
- All right then.
- My master made me this collar. He is a good and smart master and he made me this collar, so that I may talk – squirrel! [pause] My master is good and smart.
- [To Kevin, the "snipe"] Be my prisoner? Oh, please, oh, please, be my prisoner?
- I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." [laughs] It's funny because the squirrel gets dead.
- I was hiding under your porch because I love you.
- [in Dug's Special Mission short] I will stay in the hole. I will stay in the hole. I will stay... in... the hole? Now I am going down the hole! It is dark in the hole.
- Adventure is out there!
- You and me... we're in a club now.
- You know him. Charles Muntz, explorer.
- You know, South America. It's like America, but South!
- I ripped this right out of a library book!
- Cross your heart. Do it!
- Swear you'll take us there. Cross your heart! Cross it! Cross your heart!
- Good. You promised. No backing out!
- You don't talk very much... I like you!
- [First lines in the movie]
- Newsreel Announcer: Movietown News presents, "Spotlight on Adventure". What you are now witnessing is footage never before seen by civilized humanity: a lost world in South America. Lurking in the shadow of majestic Paradise Falls, it sports plants and animals undiscovered by science. Who would dare set foot on this inhospitable summit? Why, our subject today, Charles Muntz!
- Newsreel Announcer: But what's this? Scientists cry foul! The national explorer society accuses Muntz of fabricating the skeleton.
- Young Carl: No!
- Construction Worker Tom: Hey, morning, Mr. Fredricksen! Need any help, sir?
- Carl: Uh, no... Er, yes! Tell your boss over there that you boys are ruining our house!
- Tom: Well, just to let you know, my boss'll be happy to take this little place off your hands for double his last offer! Whaddaya say to that? [Carl blasts the worker with a leaf blower] I'll... take that as a "no", then.
- Carl: I believe I made my position to your boss quite clear.
- Tom: You poured prune juice in his gas tank.
- Carl: [chuckles] Yeah, that was good. Here, let me talk to him. [The worker hands him a megaphone.] You in the suit! Yes, you! Take a bath, hippie!
- Tom: [snatches the megaphone back] I am not with him! [to Carl] This is serious! He's out to get your house!
- Carl: Tell your boss he can have our house.
- Tom: Really?
- Carl: When I'm DEAD! [slams door]
- Tom: I'll take that as a "maybe"!
- [From the Exclusive Upisode.]
- Carl: You got a run away in terror badge?
- Russell: No.
- Carl: Time to earn it!
- [Both screaming]
- Russell: Good afternoon. My name is Russell. And I am a Wilderness Explorer in Tribe 54, Sweat Lodge 12. Are you in need of any assistance today, sir? What is it?
- Carl: No.
- Russell: I could help you cross the street.
- Carl: No.
- Russell: I could help you cross your yard.
- Carl: No.
- Russell: I could help you cross your porch.
- Carl: No.
- Russel: Well, I gotta help you cross something.
- Carl: Uh... no, I'm doing fine.
- Russell: Hi, Mr. Fredricksen! It's me, Russell. Oh, my!
- Carl: What're you doing up here, kid?
- Russell: I found the snipe and I followed it under your porch, but this snipe had a long tail and looked more like a large mouse.
- Carl: Let's play a game. It's called "See Who Can Be Quiet The Longest."
- Russell: Cool! My mom loves that game! All right then.
- Russell: Speak. Right.
- Dog: Hi, there! Right.
- [Carl and Russell both gasp and tense up]
- Carl: [spooked] Did that dog just say "Hi, there"?
- Dog: Oh, yes! [Carl screams] My name is Dug. I have just met you and I love you!
- [The dogs are searching in the forest for Kevin]
- Gamma: Hang on, I–I picked up the bird's scent! What do you think?
- Beta: Wait a minute, what's this? [sniffs the ground] Chocolate, I smell chocolate! Wait!
- Gamma: I'm getting prunes and denture cream! Who are they?
- Beta: Oh, man, Master will not be pleased. We better tell him someone took the bird. Right, Alpha?
- Alpha: [in a squeaky voice] No. Soon enough the bird will be ours yet again. Find the scent, my compadres, and you too shall have much rewarding from Master for the toil factor you wage. Right?
- Beta: [Trying his best not to laugh] Hey, Alpha, I think there's something wrong with your collar. You must have bumped it.
- Gamma: [not trying to hide his laughter at all] Yeah! Your voice sounds funny!
- [They both laugh]
- Alpha: Beta! Gamma!
- [They both stop laughing]
- Alpha: Mayhaps you desire to– SQUIRREL! [All of them turn their attention to a nearby tree; slight pause, Gamma whimpers] Mayhaps you desire to challenge the ranking that I have been assigned by my strength and cunning.
- Beta: No, no, no… but maybe Dug would. You might wanna ask him.
- Gamma: Yeah. I wonder if he's found the bird on his 'very special mission'.
- Alpha: Do not mention Dug to me at this time. His fool's errand will keep him most occupied. Most occupied, indeed. Ha ha ha! Do you not agree with that which I am saying to you now?
- Beta: Sure, but the second Master finds out you sent Dug out by himself, none of us will get a treat. [he and Gamma whine]
- Alpha: [Lunges and growls at them] You are wise, my trusted lieutenant. [presses a button on Beta's collar with his nose and barks] This is Alpha calling Dug. Come in, Dug.
- Dug: [whispering] Hi, Alpha. Hey, your voice sounds funny.
- Alpha: [growls] I know, I know! Have you seen the bird?!
- Dug: Why Yes. The bird is my prisoner now.
- Gamma: Yeah, right. [screen shows Kevin]
- Alpha: Impossible! Where are you?!
- Dug: Come tomorrow, I will have the bird, and then you will like me. Oh! Gotta go!
- Russel: Hey, Dug. Who are you talking to? [screen turns off]
- [The dogs start barking loudly]
- Alpha: No, wait! Wait!
- Beta: What's Dug doing?!
- Gamma: Why's he with that small mailman?!
- Beta: Where are they?!
- Alpha: [pushes a button that shows where Dug is on the map] There he is. Come on! :[They follow to where Dug is]
- Russell: Tents are hard. Wait.
- Carl: Wait, aren't you super wilderness guy... with the GPMs and the badges?
- Russell: Yeah, but... C–Can I tell you a secret?
- Carl: No.
- Russell: Alright. Here goes. [quickly] I've never actually built a tent before. There, I said it! Phew.
- Carl: You've been camping before, haven't you?
- Russell: Well... never outside.
- Carl: Well, why don't you ask your dad to help build you a tent?
- Russell: Ah, I don't think he wants to talk about this stuff.
- Carl: Why don't you try him sometime? Maybe he'll surprise ya.
- Russell: Well, he's away a lot. I don't see him much.
- Carl: He's gotta be home sometime!
- Russell: Well, I call often… but... Phyllis told me I bug him too much.
- Carl: Phyllis? You call your own mother by her first name?
- Russell: Phyllis isn't my mom.
- Carl: Oh...
- Muntz: Having guests is a delight! More often I get thieves, come to steal what's rightfully mine...
- Carl: No!
- Muntz: [picks up the lantern] They called me a fraud, those... [illuminates the room, revealing a skeleton of Kevin's species, festooned with maps of the area] But once I bring back this creature, my name will be cleared! Beautiful, isn't it? Oh, I've spent a lifetime tracking it... Sometimes, years go by between sightings. I've tried to smoke it out of that ghastly labyrinth where it lives. Can't go in after it. Once in, there's no way out... Lost so many dogs... Here they come, these bandits that think the bird is theirs to take! But they soon find this mountain is a very dangerous place.
- Russell: [notices the skeleton] Hey, that looks like Kevin! Right?
- Muntz: "Kevin"?
- Russell: Yeah, that's my new giant bird pet. I trained it to follow us.
- Muntz: Follow you? That's impossible! How?
- Russell: [pulls out a chocolate bar] She likes chocolate!
- Muntz: Chocolate?
- Russell: Yeah, I gave her some of my chocolate. She goes ga-ga for it.
- Carl: But it ran off! [takes Russell's chocolate bar] It's gone now.
- [Beat, Muntz glaring]
- Muntz: You know, Carl... [illuminates a shelf of flight caps] These people who pass through here, they all tell pretty good stories. A surveyor, making a map. [knocks one flight cap over] A botanist, cataloging plants. [knocks another cap over, then picks up a third] An old man, taking his house to Paradise Falls. [drops the cap, glaring at Carl] I mean, that's the best one yet. I can't wait to hear how it ends. [grins sinisterly]
- Carl: [hears a knock on his door en route to rescue Russell] Russell? [Opens the door to find Dug] Dug!
- Dug: I was hiding under your porch because I love you. Can I stay? What?
- Carl: Can you stay? Well, you're my dog, aren't you? And I'm your master!
- Dug: [happily] You are my master?! [Jumps on Carl in joy] Oh, boy, oh, boy!
- Carl: Good boy, Dug! You're a good boy!
Russell: My knee hurts.
Carl: Which one?
Russell: My elbow hurts. And I have to go to the
Carl: I asked if you had to go not five minutes
Russell: I didn’t need to goooo theeeeennn!
Pete Docter on Up (2009 film)Edit
The idea came from the idea of escaping the world, actually. For me, there’s definitely days where I feel like I’ve been overwhelmed by people, and I need to get away. So Bob Peterson, who is the lead writer and co-director, he and I were just sitting in a room thinking of ideas. And we were experimenting with this visual idea of a guy in floating house, and it just seemed really intriguing.
- Edward Asner as Carl Fredricksen
- Christopher Plummer as Charles F. Muntz
- Jordan Nagai as Russell
- Bob Peterson as Dug and Alpha
- Delroy Lindo as Beta
- Jerome Ranft as Gamma
- John Ratzenberger as Construction Worker Tom
- David Kaye Newsreel Announcer
- Elizabeth Docter as Young Ellie
- Jeremy Leary as Young Carl
- Mickie McGowan as Police Officer Edith
- Danny Mann as Construction Worker Steve
- Donald Fullilove as Nurse George
- Jess Harnell as Nurse AJ
- Josh Cooley as Omega
- Pete Docter as Campmaster Strauch
- Pete Docter - Interview. A.V. Club (2009-05-28).