Book of Exodus
The Book of Exodus (Hebrew: שְׁמוֹת, Shemot) is the second book of the Hebrew Bible. Book of Exodus is the record of Israel's birth as a nation. Within the protective "womb" of Egypt, the Jewish family of seventy rapidly multiplies. At the right time, accompanied with severe "birth pains," and infant nation, numbering between two and three million people, is brought into the world where it is divinely protected, fed, and nurtured. The Hebrew title, ‘‘We'elleh Shemoth’’, ‘‘Now These Are the Names,’’ comes from the first phrase in 1:1.
- Now these are the names of the children of Israel, which came into Egypt; every man and his household came with Jacob. Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah, Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin, Dan, and Naphtali, Gad, and Asher.
- KJV, Exodus 1:1-4
- The first sentence is the source of the Hebrew name of Exodus, Shemot (“names”)
- KJV, Exodus 1:1-4
- And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
- Exodus 3:2, KJV
- Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.
- And God said to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
- NKJV: Exodus 3:14
- And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness.
- Exodus 5:1, KJV
- You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- Chapter 20, Verse 3
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
- Chapter 20, Verse 4-6
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
- Chapter 20, Verse 7
- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- Chapter 20, Verse 8-11
- Honour thy father and thy mother.
- Chapter 20, Verse 12
- Thou shalt, not murder.
- Chapter 20, Verse 13
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Chapter 20, Verse 14
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Chapter 20, Verse 15
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Chapter 20, Verse 16
- Thou shalt not covet (neighbour's house).
- Chapter 20, Verse 17 (a)
- Thou shalt not covet (neighbour's wife).
- Chapter 20, Verse 17 (b)
- Thou shalt not covet (neighbour's slaves, animals, or anything else).
- Chapter 20, Verse 17 (c)
Quotes about Exodus edit
- Reverend Barber, at one point during the debate, a fly landed on Pence’s head for nearly two-and-a-half minutes, prompting widespread commentary online. Professor Ibram X. Kendi, author of the best-selling book How to Be an Antiracist, tweeted, “As soon as Pence started denying the existence of systemic racism, the fly got him!” Amy Goodman
You know, I couldn’t help but go to the Book of Exodus, where it talked about where God said, “If you don’t let my people go, I’m going to cause flies to come as a sign of what’s wrong. But I won’t let the flies be on the people, but the fly will be a symbol that you’re just wrong. You’re lying. Let my people go.” And Trump and Pence need to let the people go. They’ve been holding poor and low-wealth people hostage, essential workers hostage. It’s time for a change in this country.
- Encyclopedic article on Book of Exodus on Wikipedia
- Media related to Book of Exodus on Wikimedia Commons
|Genesis • Exodus • Leviticus • Numbers • Deuteronomy • Joshua • Judges • Ruth • 1 Samuel • 2 Samuel • 1 Kings • 2 Kings • 1 Chronicles • 2 Chronicles • Ezra • Nehemiah • Esther • Job • Psalms • Proverbs • Ecclesiastes • Song of Solomon • Isaiah • Jeremiah • Lamentations • Ezekiel • Daniel • Hosea • Joel • Amos • Obadiah • Jonah • Micah • Nahum • Habakkuk • Zephaniah • Haggai • Zechariah • Malachi|
|Esdras • Tobit • Judith • Additions to Esther • Wisdom of Solomon • Susanna • Baruch • Additions to Daniel • Prayer of Manassheh • 1 Maccabees • 2 Maccabees|
|Matthew • Mark • Luke • John • Acts • Romans • 1 Corinthians • 2 Corinthians • Galatians • Ephesians • Philippians • Colossians • 1 Thessalonians • 2 Thessalonians • 1 Timothy • 2 Timothy • Titus • Philemon • Hebrews • James • 1 Peter • 2 Peter • 1 John • 2 John • 3 John • Jude • Revelation|