The Dead Zone (film)
1983 film by David Cronenberg
He can see the future. But can he escape it? (taglines)
- "Bless me"? Do you know what God did for me? He threw an 18-wheeled truck at me and bounced me into nowhere for five years! When I woke up, my girl was gone, my job was gone, my legs are just about useless... Blessed me? God's been a real sport to me!
- I need your support, I need your expertise, I need your input, and most importantly, I need your money. [laughter]
- I have had a vision that I am going to be President of the United States someday. And nobody, and I mean nobody is going to stop me!
- Let's send Greg Stillson to the United States Senate - and mediocrity to hell!
- Sarah Bracknell: You're looking good.
- Johnny Smith: Yeah, it's called the coma diet - lose weight while you sleep.
- Johnny Smith: It reminds me of a line from "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" the last story I read to my class before... the accident. Ichabod Crane disappears... the line goes: "As he was a bachelor, and in nobody's debt, nobody troubled their head about him anymore."
- Sarah Bracknell: Is that what you feel?
- Johnny Smith: Is what I want... what I want.
- Johnny Smith: Your father says there's something wrong with you, he wants me to bring you out of your shell. I don't know what to do.
- Chris Stuart: You don't have to do anything. It's my dad that lives in a shell, not me.
- Johnny Smith: I've been tutoring this boy named Stuart. In the vision, I saw him drown. But that's not the point. In the vision, something was missing.
- Dr. Sam Weizak: How - how do you mean?
- Johnny Smith: It was like... a blank spot, a dead zone.
- Dr. Sam Weizak: First of all, tell me, did the boy, in fact, drown?
- Johnny Smith: His father wanted him to play hockey. I talked him out of it. The boy's alive.
- Dr. Sam Weizak: Ah. Yes. Don't you see how clear it is? Not only can you see the future, you can...
- Johnny Smith: I can change it.
- Dr. Sam Weizak: You can change it, exactly. Here. Yes, John. That is your... your "dead zone." The possibility of... of altering the outcome of your premonitions. It's fascinating. Let me make a note.
- Johnny Smith: [touching the mother of a serial killer] You knew? Didn't you?
- Henrietta Dodd: You... you're a devil, sent from Hell!
- Greg Stillson: Put your hand on the scanning screen, and you'll go down in history with me!
- Five Star General: As what? The world's greatest mass murderers?
- Greg Stillson: You cowardly bastard! You're not the voice of the people, I am the voice of the people! The people speak through me, not you! You put your god damn hand on that scanning screen, or I'll hack it off and put it on for you!
- [John has "seen" Stillson become President and trigger WW3, and now is making up his mind how to prevent Stillson's holocaust]
- Johnny Smith: If you could go back in time to Germany, before Hitler came to power, knowing what you know now, would you kill him?
- Dr. Sam Weizak: Is that why you sent for me, to ask me this, uh... this question?
- Johnny Smith: What about my question?
- Dr. Sam Weizak: Huh? Huh? Oh, you mean the one about Hitler?
- Johnny Smith: What would you do?
- Dr. Sam Weizak: I don't like this, John. What are you getting at?
- Johnny Smith: What would you do? Would you kill him?
- Dr. Sam Weizak: All right. All right. I'll give you an answer. I'm a man of medicine. I'm expected to save lives and ease suffering. I love people. Therefore, I would have no choice but to kill the son of a bitch.
- Johnny Smith: You'd never get away alive.
- Dr. Sam Weizak: It doesn't matter. I would kill him. [lifting drink] Nasdro via. Skol.
- He can see the future. But can he escape it?
- In his mind, he has the power to see the future. In his hands, he has the power to change it.
- Christopher Walken - Johnny Smith
- Brooke Adams - Sarah Bracknell
- Tom Skerritt - Sheriff Bannerman
- Herbert Lom - Dr. Sam Weizak
- Anthony Zerbe - Roger Stuart
- Colleen Dewhurst - Henrietta Dodd
- Martin Sheen - Greg Stillson
- Nicholas Campbell - Deputy Frank Dodd
- Simon Craig - Chris Stuart
- Géza Kovács - Sonny