2007 film by Mikael Håfström
1408 (2007) is a horror film based on a Stephen King short story of the same name. Swedish filmmaker Mikael Håfström is the director. The cast is John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson and Mary McCormack. The film was released in the US on 22 June 2007.
Mike Enslin edit
- [After turning on the lights upon entering Room 1408] This is it?
- Hotel rooms are a naturally creepy place.
- It does have the vague air of menace.
- Let's Encyclopedia Brown this bitch.
- It's not that what I'm seeing is not real. It just ain't as real as it seems.
- [speaking into his recorder as he goes out on the ledge, trying to escape the room] If something should happen, if I should slip and fall, I want it known it was an accident. The room did not win.
- I've lived the life of a selfish man. But I don't have to die that way.
- This may not all be real. I may not even be real. But this fire... That's gotta be real.
- [speaking nonchalantly to the ghoulish apparition in the vents as the room burns] Keep quiet, you bastard.
- We're here to do the job. And we don't rattle.
- [before throwing the ashtray through the window, thereby letting the room explode] The decor is in tatters... And the staff surly... But on the Shiver Scale, I award the Dolphin... ten skulls!
Mr. Olin edit
- It's an evil fucking room.
- I warned you about 1408.
- Look, I'm not telling you not to stay in that room for your own good or for the profit of the hotel. Frankly, selfishly, I just don't want to clean up the mess.
- Why do you think people believe in ghosts? For fun? No. It’s the prospect of something after death. How many spirits have you broken?
Lily Enslin edit
- Yeah. They're in Room 1408. The room's empty.
- Postcard: Don't enter 1408.
- Workman: I ain't going in this room.
- Radio: We've only just begun. [Song by The Carpenters played on the clock radio, whenever it comes on.]
- Hotel operator: You can choose to relive this hour over and over, or you can take advantage of our express checkout system. (Camera pans out to reveal a noose hanging from the ceiling.)
- Fan: So you're saying there's no such things as ghosts.
- Mike: I'm saying I've never seen one. Nothing would make me happier than to experience a paranormal event.
- Hotel operator: That room is not available.
- Mike: ...I didn't tell you which date.
- Mr. Olin: During your investigation did you discover the twenty-two natural deaths that have occurred in 1408?
- Mike Enslin: Natural deaths?
- Mr. Olin: All told, there have been fifty-six deaths in 1408.
- Mike Enslin: Fifty-six? You're shitting me.
- Mike Enslin: [Olin gives Enslin the room key] Most hotels have switched to magnetics. An actual key. That's a nice touch, it's antiquey.
- Mr. Olin: We have magnetic cards also, but electronics don't seem to work in 1408. Hope you don't have a pacemaker.
- Mike Enslin: [into his tape recorder] General manager claims that the phantom in room interferes...
- Mr. Olin: [scoffs] I have never used the word "phantom".
- Mike Enslin: Oh, I'm sorry. Uh, spirit? Specter?
- Mr. Olin: No, you misunderstand. Whatever's in 1408 is nothing like that.
- Mike Enslin: Then what is it?
- Mr. Olin: [moves closer and whispers into Enslin's ear] It's an evil fucking room.
- Mr. Olin: A few years ago a young maid from El Salvador found herself locked in the bathroom. She was only there for a few moments, but when we pulled her out she was...
- Mike Enslin: [sarcastically] She was dead?
- Mr. Olin: No. Blind. She had taken a pair of scissors and gouged her eyes out. She was laughing hysterically.
- Mr. Olin: I was just checking to see if the accommodations were exceeding your expectations.
- Mike Enslin: You know goddamn well they are!
- Mike: You're not going anywhere. You're staying here with us.
- Katie: Daddy, everyone dies.
- Mike Enslin: Why don't you just kill me?
- Room 1408: Because all guests of this hotel enjoy free will, Mr. Enslin. You can choose to relive this hour over and over, or you can take advantage of our express checkout system. [camera pans out to reveal a noose hanging from the ceiling]
- Room 1408: Are you ready to check out, Mr. Enslin?
- Mike Enslin: No. Not your way.
- Lily Enslin: C'mon, hon. Just brings back bad memories, let me get rid of it.
- Mike Enslin: Sometimes, you can't get rid of bad memories. You just gotta live with 'em.
Quotes about 1408 edit
- The Dolphin Hotel invites you to stay in any of it's stunning rooms. Except one.
- Don't enter Room 1408!
- Based on the terrifying novel by Stephen King.
- Enter Room 1408.......If you dare.