Criminal Minds (2005–) is an American CBS television show about an elite squad of FBI profilers that analyzes the country's most twisted criminal minds and anticipates their next move before they strike again.
- 1 Season 1
- 1.1 Extreme Aggressor [1.1]
- 1.2 Compulsion [1.2]
- 1.3 Won't Get Fooled Again [1.3]
- 1.4 Plain Sight [1.4]
- 1.5 Broken Mirror [1.5]
- 1.6 L.D.S.K. [1.6]
- 1.7 The Fox [1.7]
- 1.8 Natural Born Killer [1.8]
- 1.9 Derailed [1.9]
- 1.10 The Popular Kids [1.10]
- 1.11 Blood Hungry [1.11]
- 1.12 What Fresh Hell [1.12]
- 1.13 Poison [1.13]
- 1.14 Riding the Lightning [1.14]
- 1.15 Unfinished Business [1.15]
- 1.16 The Tribe [1.16]
- 1.17 A Real Rain [1.17]
- 1.18 Somebody's Watching [1.18]
- 1.19 Machismo [1.19]
- 1.20 Charm & Harm [1.20]
- 1.21 Secrets and Lies [1.21]
- 1.22 The Fisher King (Part 1) [1.22]
- 2 Season 2
- 2.1 The Fisher King (Part 2) [2.1]
- 2.2 P911 [2.2]
- 2.3 The Perfect Storm [2.3]
- 2.4 Psychodrama [2.4]
- 2.5 The Aftermath [2.5]
- 2.6 The Boogeyman [2.6]
- 2.7 North Mammon [2.7]
- 2.8 Empty Planet [2.8]
- 2.9 The Last Word [2.9]
- 2.10 Lessons Learned [2.10]
- 2.11 Sex, Birth, Death [2.11]
- 2.12 Profiler Profiled [2.12]
- 2.13 No Way Out [2.13]
- 2.14 The Big Game [2.14]
- 2.15 Revelations [2.15]
- 2.16 Fear and Loathing [2.16]
- 2.17 Distress [2.17]
- 2.18 Jones [2.18]
- 2.19 Ashes to Dust [2.19]
- 2.20 Honor Among Thieves [2.20]
- 2.21 Open Season [2.21]
- 2.22 Legacy [2.22]
- 2.23 No Way Out (Pt. 2): The Evilution of Frank [2.23]
- 3 Season 3
- 3.1 Doubt [3.1]
- 3.2 In Name and Blood [3.2]
- 3.3 Scared to Death [3.3]
- 3.4 Children of the Dark [3.4]
- 3.5 Seven Seconds [3.5]
- 3.6 About Face [3.6]
- 3.7 Identity [3.7]
- 3.8 Lucky [3.8]
- 3.9 Penelope [3.9]
- 3.10 True Night [3.10]
- 3.11 Birthright [3.11]
- 3.12 3rd Life [3.12]
- 3.13 Limelight [3.13]
- 3.14 Damaged [3.14]
- 3.15 A Higher Power [3.15]
- 3.16 Elephant's Memory [3.16]
- 3.17 In Heat [3.17]
- 3.18 The Crossing [3.18]
- 3.19 Tabula Rasa [3.19]
- 3.20 Lo-Fi [3.20]
- 4 Season 4
- 4.1 Mayhem [4.1]
- 4.2 The Angel Maker [4.2]
- 4.3 Minimal Loss [4.3]
- 4.4 Paradise [4.4]
- 4.5 Catching Out [4.5]
- 4.6 The Instincts [4.6]
- 4.7 Memoriam [4.7]
- 4.8 Masterpiece [4.8]
- 4.9 52 Pickup [4.9]
- 4.10 Brothers in Arms [4.10]
- 4.11 Normal [4.11]
- 4.12 Soul Mates [4.12]
- 4.13 Bloodline [4.13]
- 4.14 Cold Comfort [4.14]
- 4.15 Zoe's Reprise [4.15]
- 4.16 Pleasure is my Business [4.16]
- 4.17 Demonology [4.17]
- 4.18 Omnivore [4.18]
- 4.19 House on Fire [4.19]
- 4.20 Conflicted [4.20]
- 4.21 A Shade of Gray [4.21]
- 4.22 The Big Wheel [4.22]
- 4.23 Roadkill [4.23]
- 4.24 Amplification [4.24]
- 4.25 To Hell... And Back (Part 1) [4.25]
- 4.26 To Hell... And Back (Part 2) [4.26]
- 5 Season 5
- 5.1 Nameless, Faceless [5.1]
- 5.2 Haunted [5.2]
- 5.3 Reckoner [5.3]
- 5.4 Hopeless [5.4]
- 5.5 Cradle to Grave [5.5]
- 5.6 The Eyes Have It [5.6]
- 5.7 The Performer [5.7]
- 5.8 Outfoxed [5.8]
- 5.9 100 [5.9]
- 5.10 The Slave of Duty [5.10]
- 5.11 Retaliation [5.11]
- 5.12 The Uncanny Valley [5.12]
- 5.13 Risky Business [5.13]
- 5.14 Parasite [5.14]
- 5.15 Public Enemy [5.15]
- 5.16 Mosley Lane [5.16]
- 5.17 Solitary Man [5.17]
- 5.18 The Fight [5.18]
- 5.19 Rite of Passage [5.19]
- 5.20 ...A Thousand Words [5.20]
- 5.21 Exit Wounds [5.21]
- 5.22 The Internet Is Forever [5.22]
- 5.23 Our Darkest Hour [5.23]
- 6 Season 6
- 6.1 The Longest Night [6.1]
- 6.2 JJ [6.2]
- 6.3 Remembrance of Things Past [6.3]
- 6.4 Compromising Positions [6.4]
- 6.5 Safe Haven [6.5]
- 6.6 Devil's Night [6.6]
- 6.7 Middle Man [6.7]
- 6.8 Reflection of Desire [6.8]
- 6.9 Into the Woods [6.9]
- 6.10 What Happens at Home [6.10]
- 6.11 25 to Life [6.11]
- 6.12 Corazon [6.12]
- 6.13 The Thirteenth Step [6.13]
- 6.14 Sense Memory [6.14]
- 6.15 Today I Do [6.15]
- 6.16 Coda [6.16]
- 6.17 Valhalla [6.17]
- 6.18 Lauren [6.18]
- 6.19 With Friends Like These... [6.19]
- 6.20 Hanley Waters [6.20]
- 6.21 The Stranger [6.21]
- 6.22 Out of the Light [6.22]
- 6.23 Big Sea [6.23]
- 6.24 Supply & Demand [6.24]
- 7 Season 7
- 7.1 It Takes a Village [7.1]
- 7.2 Proof [7.2]
- 7.3 Dorado Falls [7.3]
- 7.4 Painless [7.4]
- 7.5 From Childhood's Hour [7.5]
- 7.6 Epilogue [7.6]
- 7.7 There's No Place Like Home [7.7]
- 7.8 Hope [7.8]
- 7.9 Self-Fulfilling Prophecy [7.9]
- 7.10 The Bittersweet Science [7.10]
- 7.11 True Genius [7.11]
- 7.12 Unknown Subject [7.12]
- 7.13 Snake Eyes [7.13]
- 7.14 Closing Time [7.14]
- 7.15 A Thin Line [7.15]
- 7.16 A Family Affair [7.16]
- 7.17 I Love You, Tommy Brown [7.17]
- 7.18 Foundation [7.18]
- 7.19 Heathridge Manor [7.19]
- 7.20 The Company [7.20]
- 7.21 Divining Rod [7.21]
- 7.22 Profiling 101 [7.22]
- 7.23 Hit [7.23]
- 7.24 Run [7.24]
- 8 Season 8
- 8.1 The Silencer [8.1]
- 8.2 The Pact [8.2]
- 8.3 Through the Looking Glass [8.3]
- 8.4 God Complex [8.4]
- 8.5 The Good Earth [8.5]
- 8.6 The Apprenticeship [8.6]
- 8.7 The Fallen [8.7]
- 8.8 The Wheels on the Bus [8.8]
- 8.9 Magnificent Light [8.9]
- 8.10 The Lesson [8.10]
- 8.11 Perennials [8.11]
- 8.12 Zugzwang [8.12]
- 8.13 Magnum Opus [8.13]
- 8.14 All That Remains [8.14]
- 8.15 Broken [8.15]
- 8.16 Carbon Copy [8.16]
- 8.17 The Gathering [8.17]
- 8.18 Restoration [8.18]
- 8.19 Pay It Forward [8.19]
- 8.20 Alchemy [8.20]
- 8.21 Nanny Dearest [8.21]
- 8.22 #6 [8.22]
- 8.23 Brothers Hotchner [8.23]
- 8.24 The Replicator [8.24]
- 9 Season 9
- 9.1 The Inspiration [9.01]
- 9.2 The Inspired [9.02]
- 9.3 Final Shot [9.03]
- 9.4 To Bear Witness [9.04]
- 9.5 Route 66 [9.05]
- 9.6 In the Blood [9.06]
- 9.7 Gatekeeper [9.07]
- 9.8 The Return [9.08]
- 9.9 Strange Fruit [9.09]
- 9.10 The Caller [9.10]
- 9.11 Bully [9.11]
- 9.12 The Black Queen [9.12]
- 9.13 The Road Home [9.13]
- 9.14 200 [9.14]
- 9.15 Mr. and Mrs. Anderson [9.15]
- 9.16 Gabby [9.16]
- 9.17 Persuasion [9.17]
- 9.18 Rabid [9.18]
- 9.19 The Edge of Winter [9.19]
- 9.20 Blood Relations [9.20]
- 9.21 What Happens in Mecklinburg [9.21]
- 9.22 Fatal [9.22]
- 9.23 Angels (Part 1) [9.23]
- 9.24 Demons (Part 2) [9.24]
- 10 Season 10
- 10.1 X [10.01]
- 10.2 Burn [10.02]
- 10.3 A Thousand Suns [10.03]
- 10.4 The Itch [10.04]
- 10.5 Boxed In [10.05]
- 10.6 If the Shoe Fits [10.06]
- 10.7 Hashtag [10.07]
- 10.8 The Boys of Sudworth Place [10.08]
- 10.9 Fate [10.09]
- 10.10 Amelia Porter [10.10]
- 10.11 The Forever people [10.11]
- 10.12 Anonymous [10.12]
- 10.13 Nelson's Sparrow [10.13]
- 10.14 Hero Worship [10.14]
- 10.15 Scream [10.15]
- 10.16 Lockdown [10.16]
- 10.17 Breath Play [10.17]
- 10.18 Rock Creek Park [10.18]
- 10.19 Beyond Borders [10.19]
- 10.20 A Place at the Table [10.20]
- 10.21 Mr. Scratch [10.21]
- 10.22 Protection [10.22]
- 10.23 The Hunt [10.23]
- 11 Season 11
- 11.1 The Job [11.01]
- 11.2 The Witness [11.02]
- 11.3 Til Death Do Us Part [11.03]
- 11.4 Outlaw [11.04]
- 11.5 The Night Watch [11.05]
- 11.6 Pariahville [11.06]
- 11.7 Target Rich [11.07]
- 11.8 Awake [11.08]
- 11.9 Internal Affairs [11.09]
- 11.10 Future Perfect [11.10]
- 11.11 Entropy [11.11]
- 11.12 Drive [11.12]
- 11.13 The Bond [11.13]
- 11.14 Hostage [11.14]
- 11.15 A Badge And A Gun [11.15]
- 11.16 Derek [11.16]
- 11.17 The Sandman [11.17]
- 11.18 TBC [11.18]
- 11.19 TBC [11.19]
- 11.20 TBC [11.20]
- 11.21 TBC [11.21]
- 11.22 TBC [11.22]
- 12 Cast
- 13 External links
Extreme Aggressor [1.1]Edit
- Gideon: Joseph Conrad said, "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary. Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."
- Hotchner: This is Special Agent Spencer Reid.
- Gideon: Doctor Reid.
- Hotchner: Dr. Reid, our expert on...well, everything.
- Hotchner: This is Dr. Reid.
- Heather’s Brother: Doctor? You seem too young to have gotten into medical school...
- Reid: They're PhD's, three of them.
- Heather’s Brother: Are you a genius or something?
- Reid: I don’t believe that intelligence can be accurately quantified, but I do have an IQ of 187, an eidetic memory and can read 20,000 words per minute. [gets a weird look] Yes, I’m a genius.
- Gideon: "Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
- Reid: Samuel Beckett.
- Morgan: "Try not. Do, or do not."
- Reid: Yoda.
- Garcia: You've reached Penelope Garcia in the FBI's office of supreme genius.
- Morgan: Hey it's Morgan. I need you to work me some magic here. I got a program called Deadbolt Defense and a girl with only a couple hours to live. So what do you know?
- Garcia: Then you've got a problem. Deadbolt's the number one password crack resistant software out there. You're going to have to get inside this guy's head to get the password.
- Morgan: I thought I was calling the office of supreme genius.
- Garcia: Well gorgeous you've been rerouted to the office of too frickin' bad.
- Gideon: Einstein once said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles the world."
- Elle: Chemical accelerant could mean chemistry student.
- Reid: It could also mean chemistry professor.
- Elle: I say student. You need self-confidence to lecture in front of a classroom full of 30 college kids. Arsonists are socially incompetent. This guy doesn’t go on dates, doesn’t go to parties, doesn’t feel comfortable in front of groups. [Reid looks at Elle, realizing he fits the description] And of course he’s a total psychopath.
- Reid: Of course.
- Garcia: Okay, you know how on Star Trek when Captain Kirk asked McCoy to do something totally impossible and McCoy says, "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker!"?
- Morgan: Hey, what are you telling me? Not to expect a miracle?
- Garcia: No, I'm saying I'm not a doctor.
- Morgan: That's my girl.
- Elle: Well, what is the most sinful place on campus?
- Morgan: Come on, Elle, when I was in college it was everywhere.
- Patrol Guy: You’re one of those FBI guys. A profiler, right? Like, one look at the crime scene you can tell what kind of shampoo a killer uses.
- Gideon: You’re a bit skeptical.
- Patrol Guy: Maybe a little.
- Gideon': Your girlfriend thinks you’re going to break up with her.
- Patrol Guy: You’re kidding, right?
- Gideon: Well, you keep adjusting your necklace. That tells me you're not used to wearing one or somebody else probably bought it for you, bought it recently, and the Chinese symbol on it means "forever yours."
- Gideon': You broke up with her. No more necklace.
- Patrol Guy: Yeah, I kinda wanted to date someone else.
- Gideon: What's her name?
- Patrol Guy: Brian
- Gideon: Oh. Well, that's... That's a pretty good reason.
Won't Get Fooled Again [1.3]Edit
- Gideon: Samuel Johnson wrote, "Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble."
- Elle: I may have something. Barbara Keller was having some trouble insuring some coins she bought. The insurance company thought they might be fake.
- Hotchner: So the insurance company is blowing up annoying clients?
- Morgan: My bomb fragments- let’s start putting this bad boy together.
- Garcia: Why bother, don’t you just dust for prints and...stuff?
- Morgan: [chuckling] Garcia, what are you doing in the FBI?
- Garcia: I didn’t get into medical school.
- Morgan: Why does that not surprise me?
- Garcia: [punches Morgan] Ouch. That's what my father said.
- Morgan: Now pay attention!
- Garcia: Aww. It's like school!
- Morgan: What you think it's bull? Seriously the way that they put these together can tell us something about the UnSub! I mean the Unabomber always put something wooden in his bombs. It's their singature...I mean they think that they're artists or something! The sign their work!
- Garcia: Now you sound like Gideon!
- Morgan: [punches her shoulder lightly] Okay. Ouch!
- Garcia: Signature behavior! If Walker got tips from Bale about bomb making then he may have told him how to steer clear of the police!
- Morgan: Uh-uh! Someone's been taking notes!
- Garcia: Medical school, schmedical school!
- Morgan: Don't hurt yourself Garcia!
- Hotch: I spent a good chunk of my childhood looking for a 1944 penny worth thousands.
- [everyone stares]
- Hotch: Yes, I was a little bit of a nerd, is that so surprising?
- Elle: Not to me...
Plain Sight [1.4]Edit
- Gideon: French poet Jacques Rigaut said, "Don't forget that I cannot see myself. That my role is limited to being the one who looks in the mirror."
- Morgan: Why the Tommy Killer?
- Hotchner: You know the rock opera? Well, this unsub glues his victim's eyes wide open.
- Reid: He wants them to see him.
- Gideon: And feel him.
- Morgan: I hate not having a plan. We’re looking for a needle in a haystack.
- Reid: Actually, it’s more like we’re looking for a needle in a pile of needles.
- Morgan: What?
- Reid: A needle would stand out in a haystack.
- Morgan: [chuckling] Okay, then we're not looking for someone who stands out.
- Reid: No, we're looking for a particular needle, in a pile of needles.
- [Morgan gives him a look while he's busy looking through binoculars]
- Reid: Do you think it's weird that I knew that ballad?
- Elle: Reid, I don't know how you know half the stuff you know, but I'm glad you do.
- Reid: Do you think that's why I can't get a date?
- Elle: Have you ever asked anyone?
- Reid: [Reid shifts his eyes] No.
- Elle: That's why you can't get a date.
- Gideon: Rose Kennedy once said, "Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn't people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them."
Broken Mirror [1.5]Edit
- Gideon: Euripides said, "When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him."
- [after seeing another agent flirt with Morgan and girls stare at him]
- Reid: Must be tough, man.
- Morgan: [laughs] Not really.
- Reid: What do you mean? You don't DO anything and these women are throwing themselves at you.
- Morgan: Strictly off limits, Reid.
- Reid: There's no code of conduct that says agents can't socialize.
- Morgan: See, my code of survival says never mess with a woman who carries a gun.
- Reid: I don't know everything. I mean, despite the fact that you think that I do.
- Morgan: I never said that. When have I ever said that?
- Reid: Every day since I met you.
- Elle: This morning at breakfast.
- Hotchner: Yesterday when he beat you at cards, um, we've got one minute.
- Morgan: Anybody ever heard of sarcasm?
- Elle and Reid: Mmhm.
- Mr. Davenport: [talking to Reid] Excuse me, c-can you actually read that fast?
- Reid: Our conscious mind can process sixteen bits of information per second; our unconscious, however, can process eleven million.
- [Mr. Davenport glances between Gideon and Reid with a nervous look]
- Reid: Yes, I- I really can read this fast.
- Elle: [regarding Cheryl, claiming that she can feel when something is wrong with her twin] You think Cheryl's a whackjob because she claims she can feel her sister's anxiety?
- Morgan: I never said whackjob.
- [Reid walks in]
- Reid: Actually, there may be a physiological basis for it.
- Morgan: Don't ask.
- Reid: Reversed egg symmetry, monozygotic eggs split late between nine to twelve days, the DNA matches right down to the very last stranded code. There are sporadic documents of shared physiological pain.
- Morgan: And you believe it?
- Reid: No. I'm just saying it's possible.
- Elle: Reid failed his qualification.
- Gideon: He can retest in two weeks.
- Elle: Yeah, but he's gonna be embarrassed, so let's not mention it.
- Gideon: Yeah, let's not.
- Morgan: Not a word. [Reid enters the room] Hey, We're all here for you. I'm serious. If you ever need anything… [places a whistle around Reid's neck and blows on it] …just blow on that.
- Philip Dowd: What kind of FBI agent doesn't carry a gun?
- Reid: I'm a profiler
- Philip Dowd: Profiler, huh? They sent you to figure me out?
- Reid: We did, that's how we found you.
- Hotch: Shut up, Reid.
- Hotch: You know why they took away Boy Genius' gun?
- Philip Dowd: Why?
- Hotch: He failed his qualification. Twice a year I gotta listen to him whine about re-qualifying, so I tutored him, and he fails again.
- Philip Dowd: You think you got it rough? These people have done nothing but undermine me since I got here.
- Hotch: Put him next to the barricade. That way, when they blast their way in, both of our problems are solved. That sort of thing could ruin a cop's career.
- Philip Dowd: You are one sick dude.
- Hotch: How do you think I found you?
- Hothchner: [about a head shot Reid accomplished] Nice shot.
- Reid: I was aiming for his leg.
- Hotchner: Well, I wouldn't have kept kicking, but I was afraid you didn't get my plan.
- Reid: I got your plan the minute you moved the hostages out of my line of fire.
- Hotchner: Well, I hope I didn't hurt you too badly.
- Reid: Hotch, I was a twelve year-old child prodigy in a Las Vegas public high school. You kick like a nine year-old girl. [tries to return the gun]
- Hotchner: No, keep it. As far as I'm concerned, you passed your qualification.
- Gideon: This is going to hit you, and when it does, there's only three facts you need to know: You did what you had to do, and a lot of good people are alive because of what you did.
- Reid: What's the third?
- Gideon: I'm proud of you.
The Fox [1.7]Edit
- Gideon Dr. Thomas Fuller wrote,"With foxes we must play the fox."
- Gideon: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
- Morgan: Sherlock Holmes was a fictional character
- JJ: [discussing Hotch's newborn baby] He's so gorgeous.
- Haley: Thank you.
- Reid: You find baldness and wrinkles attractive?
- Reid: Nobody gets therapy these days without a healthy dose of medication.
- Garcia: What are you implying, Reid?
- Reid: That everyone is medicated.
- Garcia: Did you just make a joke?
- Reid: No, I mean, statistics, they-they show it–
- Garcia: Reid, next time just say yes.
- Reid: Are you hacking into the government's HMO database? Is that legal?
- Garcia: Of course not. We'll both go to prison and you'll be someone's bitch.
- Reid: Really?
Natural Born Killer [1.8]Edit
- Gideon: Hemingway wrote, "There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else.”
- Hotchner: You were just responding to what you learned, Vincent. When you grow up in an environment like that, an extremely abusive and violent household...it's not surprising that some people grow up to become killers.
- Vincent: Some people?
- Hotchner: What's that?
- Vincent: You said some people grow up to become killers.
- Hotchner: ...And some people grow up to catch them.
- [Garcia enters the room with a cardboard box.]
- Morgan: Please tell me you brought some breakfast.
- Garcia: Trust me, sugar. You're not going to want to eat when you see what's in here.
- Elle: Can you get into those records?
- Reid: Despite the fact that they were probably expunged, she can find the faintest echo of deletion, successfully recreate the file, thereby sending us all to prison for computer felony fraud counts.
- [Elle and Garcia share a weird look]
- Elle: We can make bail.
- Hotchner: Paranoid personalities develop in childhood.
- Vincent Perotta: You know, you just saved me thousands of dollars in therapy bills.
- Gideon: Robert Oxton Bolton once wrote, "A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind."
- Reid: [to Dr. Bryer] The voices, they helped you right? While the other kids were outside in the playground, you were inside studying, reading, learning. The voices wouldn't stop. They helped you understand things that other people couldn't realize. Then, as you grew older, it became almost a responsibility, right? A responsibility to use that ability, to use your knowledge.
- Elle: [complaining] Gideon, will you tell him that I don't need to go to the hospital?
- Gideon: Regulations are regulations. You're all right?
- Elle: Yeah, I'm fine, 'dad.'
- Gideon: Elle?
- Elle: Yeah?
- Gideon: Don't ever call me 'dad' again. [walks away]
- Elle: [to Reid] What do you think he'd feel about 'mom?'
- Reid: Let me know when you're going to do that so I can run.
- Morgan: And remember, play into the guy's fantasy, believe it yourself.
- Reid: Actually, did you know that dentists and surgeons have been secretly recruited to implant these during otherwise normal medical procedures? This has been happening on and off since the late 1930s. [Morgan looks at him] Told me to believe.
- Reid: Albert Einstein asked, "The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or the others crazy?"
The Popular Kids [1.10]Edit
- Gideon: Sir Peter Ustinov said, "Unfortunately, a super abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares."
- [Reid is pouring piles of sugar into his coffee]
- Morgan: Easy there, tough guy. Have some coffee with your sugar.
- Reid: I need something to wake me up.
- Morgan: Ooh, late night?
- Reid: Very.
- Morgan: My man!
- Reid: Not that kind of late night!
- Morgan: So tell me, what does keep young Dr. Reid awake at night? Wait, let me guess. Memorizing some obscure textbook? No, no, no. Working on cold fusion? No, I got it, I got it, I got it. Watching Star Trek and laughing at the physics mistakes.
- Reid: Actually, there aren't that many scientific errors in Star Trek. Especially considering how long ago it was made. There are certain improbabilities, but not that many outright errors.
- Morgan: Right.
- Reid: Melted wax?
- JJ: Candle wax?
- Reid: Candles are used in rituals.
- Gideon: They're also used on birthday cakes.
- Reid: Actually, they were originally used to protect the birthday celebrant from demons for the coming year. As a matter of fact, down to the fourth century, Christianity rejected the birthday celebration as a pagan ritual.
- Sheriff Bridges: What kind of a doctor are you?
- Gideon: Playwright Eugene Ionesco said, "Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together."
Blood Hungry [1.11]Edit
- Gideon: Harriet Beecher Stowe once said, "The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
What Fresh Hell [1.12]Edit
- Gideon: The poet W. H. Auden wrote, "Evil is always unspectacular, and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our table."
- Gideon: "Measure not the work until the day's out and the labor done." -Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
- Gideon: Roman philosopher Lucretius wrote, "What is food to one, is to others bitter poison."
- Gideon: Confucius warned us, "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."
Riding the Lightning [1.14]Edit
- Gideon: "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed." Genesis 9:6
- Gideon: Albert Pine said, "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."
Unfinished Business [1.15]Edit
- Gideon: Norman Maclean wrote, "It is those we live with and love and should know who elude us."
- Elle: Abraham Lincoln once said, "In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
The Tribe [1.16]Edit
- Hotchner: Nietzsche wrote, "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe."
A Real Rain [1.17]Edit
- Gideon: W. H. Auden said, "Murder is unique in that it abolishes the party it injures, so that society must take the place of the victim and on his behalf demand atonement or grant forgiveness."
- Gideon: Gandhi said, "Better to be violent if there's violence in our hearts than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence."
- Hotchner: Gandhi also said, "I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does is permanent."
Somebody's Watching [1.18]Edit
- Gideon: Diane Arbus once said, "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know."
- Gideon: Bernard Shaw once said, "An American has no sense of privacy. He does not know what it means. There is no such thing in the country."
- Hotchner: Anthony Brandt wrote, "Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."
- Hotchner: Mexican proverb: “The house does not rest upon the ground, but upon a woman.”
Charm & Harm [1.20]Edit
- Gideon: The French philosopher Voltaire wrote, "There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
- Gideon: The author François de la Rochefoucauld wrote, "We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."
Secrets and Lies [1.21]Edit
- Gideon: Albert Einstein said, "Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."
- Gideon: George Orwell said, "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
The Fisher King (Part 1) [1.22]Edit
- Gideon: Writer Elbert Hubbard said, "No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one."
The Fisher King (Part 2) [2.1]Edit
- Gideon: "The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body; after all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." -French writer François de la Rochefoucauld.
- Reid: "It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone." -Rose Kennedy.
- Gideon: Theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, "The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children."
The Perfect Storm [2.3]Edit
- Gideon: Mark Twain wrote, "Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it."
- Hotchner: Philosopher Kahlil Gibran wrote, "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."
- Hotchner: "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -Oscar Wilde
- Hotchner: "The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours but that this humiliation is seen by everyone." -Milan Kundera
The Aftermath [2.5]Edit
- Gideon: Helen Keller once said, "Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it."
The Boogeyman [2.6]Edit
- Hotchner: Plato wrote, "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
North Mammon [2.7]Edit
- JJ: Legendary basketball coach John Wooden said, "It's not so important who starts the game, but who finishes it."
- JJ: "The ultimate choice for a man, in as much as he is given to transcend himself, is to create or destroy, to love or to hate." -Erich Fromm
Empty Planet [2.8]Edit
- Gideon: Robespierre wrote, "Crime butchers innocence to secure a prize, and innocence struggles with all its might against the attempts of crime."
The Last Word [2.9]Edit
- Gideon: Elbert Hubbard once wrote, "If men could only know each other, they would neither idolize nor hate."
- Hotchner: Mahatma Gandhi once said, "Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they seemed invincible, but in the end they always fall. Always."
Lessons Learned [2.10]Edit
- Gideon: Dale Turner mused, "Some of the best lessons are learned from past mistakes. The error of the past is the wisdom of the future."
- Gideon: Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "In order to learn the important lessons in life, one must, each day, surmount a fear."
Sex, Birth, Death [2.11]Edit
- Reid: T.S. Eliot wrote, "Between the idea and the reality, between the motion and the act, falls the shadow."
- Reid: T.S. Eliot wrote, "Between the desire and the spasm, between the potency and the existence, between the essence and the descent, falls the shadow. This is the way the world ends."
Profiler Profiled [2.12]Edit
- Morgan: "All secrets are deep. All secrets become dark. That's in the nature of secrets." -writer Cory Doctorow.
- Reid: "One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." It's one of Sherlock Holmes' favorite quotes.
No Way Out [2.13]Edit
- Gideon: Aristotle said, "Evil brings men together."
The Big Game [2.14]Edit
- Gideon: Condemned murderer Perry Smith said of his victims, the Clutter family, "I didn't have anything against them, and they never did anything wrong to me, the way other people have all my life. Maybe they're just the ones who have to pay for it."
- Hotchner: There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins. --Ecclesiastes 7:20
Fear and Loathing [2.16]Edit
- Gideon: "From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate." -Socrates
- Reid: “The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." -Cicero
- Gideon: "Our life is made by the death of others." -Leonardo da Vinci
- Hotchner: "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine
- Gideon: Robert Kennedy once said, "Tragedy is a tool for the living to gain wisdom, not a guide by which to live."
Ashes to Dust [2.19]Edit
- Hotchner: "The torture of a bad conscience is the hell of a living soul." -John Calvin.
- Hotchner: Gandhi said, "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
Honor Among Thieves [2.20]Edit
- Prentiss: An old Russian proverb reminds us, "There can be no good without evil."
- Prentiss: "Happy families are all alike. Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." -Leo Tolstoy.
Open Season [2.21]Edit
- Gideon: "One man's wilderness is another man's theme park." Author unknown.
- Prentiss: The British historian James Anthony Froude once said, "Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself."
- Hotchner: "Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." -Herman Melville.
- Hotch: "Nothing is permanent in this wicked world—-not even our troubles." -Charles Chaplin.
No Way Out (Pt. 2): The Evilution of Frank [2.23]Edit
- Gideon: "I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, my enemies for their good intellects." -Oscar Wilde.
In Name and Blood [3.2]Edit
- Hotchner: George Washington said, "Let your heart feel for the affliction and distress of everyone."
Scared to Death [3.3]Edit
- Hotchner: The Taoist philosopher Lao Tse once wrote, "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still."
- Hotchner: Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."
Children of the Dark [3.4]Edit
- Prentiss: "In the city, crime is taken as emblematic of class and race. In the suburbs, though, it's intimate and psychological - resistant to generalization, a mystery of the individual soul." - Barbara Ehrenreich
Seven Seconds [3.5]Edit
- Hotchner: Dostoyevsky once said, “Nothing is easier than denouncing the evildoer. Nothing more difficult than understanding him.”
- Hotchner: G.K. Chesterton wrote, "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed."
About Face [3.6]Edit
- Hotchner: Erasmus wrote, "What else is the whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and plays each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?" .
- Rossi: "An earthly kingdom cannot exist without inequality of persons. Some must be free, some serfs, some rulers, some subjects." Martin Luther.
- Morgan: “Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters.” - Francisco Goya
- Morgan: 16th century English novelist Thomas Deloney wrote, "God sends meat and the Devil sends cooks."
- Garcia: William Shakespeare wrote, "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
True Night [3.10]Edit
- Reid: "Superman is, after all, an alien life form. He is simply the acceptable face of invading realities." Author Clive Barker.
- Hotch: The American poet Anne Sexton once wrote "It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was."
- JJ: Wordsworth wrote, "A simple child. That lightly draws its breath. And feels its life in every limb. What should it know of death?"
3rd Life [3.12]Edit
- Hotch: "No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies." Daisy Bates
- Hotch: "It is a wise father who knows his own child." William Shakespeare.
- Rossi: "I know indeed what evil I intend to do, but stronger than all my afterthoughts is my fury, fury that brings upon mortals the greatest evils." Euripides.
- Rossi: "For we pay a price for everything we get or take in this world, and although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won." - Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Rossi: "...within the core of each of us is the child we once were. This child constitutes the foundation of what we have become, who we are, and what we will be." Neuroscientist Dr. R. Joseph.
- Hotchner: "There is no formula for success, except perhaps an unconditional acceptance of life and what it brings." Arthur Rubinstein.
A Higher Power [3.15]Edit
- Rossi: "There is no refuge from confession but suicide; and suicide is confession." - Daniel Webster
- Prentiss: "The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering." - Ben Okri
Elephant's Memory [3.16]Edit
- Reid: "A sad soul can kill you quicker, far quicker, than a germ." John Steinbeck
- Reid: "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Tom Stoppard
In Heat [3.17]Edit
- JJ: "There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses." - George Bernard Shaw
- JJ: "If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find." - John Churton Collins
The Crossing [3.18]Edit
- Prentiss: Author Christian Nestell Bovee once wrote, "No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities."
- Quoting Intuitions and Summaries of Thought (1862), Volume I, p. 143
- JJ: Susan B. Anthony said, "A woman must not depend on the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Tabula Rasa [3.19]Edit
- Hotch: "All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." - Anatole France
- Hotch: Voltaire said, "The man visited by ecstasies and visions, who takes dreams for realities, is an enthusiast. The man who supports his madness with murder is a fanatic."
- Hotch: "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." - Ernest Hemingway
The Angel Maker [4.2]Edit
- Hotch: "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever. The goal is to create something that will." Chuck Palahniuk
- Hotch: Wendell Berry said, "The past is our definition. We may strive with good reason to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it, but we will escape it only by adding something better to it."
Minimal Loss [4.3]Edit
- Reid: "To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly." Benjamin Franklin.
- Prentiss: "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." Ayn Rand.
- Hotch: Thomas Fuller wrote, "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
- Hotch: Roman poet Phaedrus wrote, "Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many. The intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Catching Out [4.5]Edit
- Prentiss: "Plenty sits still. Hunger is a wanderer." Zulu proverb.
- Prentiss: "Beyond the East the sunrise, beyond the West the sea, And the East and West the wander-thirst that will not let me be." Gerald Gould
The Instincts [4.6]Edit
- Hotch: Amos Bronson Alcott said, "Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."
- Reid: Bob Dylan once said, "I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay."
- Reid: "What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father." Friedrich Nietzsche.
- Reid: "There is no refuge from memory and remorse in this world. The spirits of our foolish deeds haunt us, with or without repentance." Gilbert Parker.
- Rossi: "Let us consider that we are all insane. It will explain us to each other; it will unriddle many riddles..." Mark Twain.
- Rossi: "Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love." Martin Luther King, Jr.
52 Pickup [4.9]Edit
- Prentiss: Author Harlan Ellison wrote, "The minute people fall in love, they become liars."
- Rossi: P. J. O'Rourke wrote, "Cleanliness becomes more important when godliness is unlikely."
Brothers in Arms [4.10]Edit
- Morgan: "We are all brothers under the skin, and I, for one, would be willing to skin humanity to prove it." Ayn Rand.
- Morgan: "... for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare.
- Hotchner: "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken.
- Rossi: "There's no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were." President Dwight Eisenhower.
Soul Mates [4.12]Edit
- Reid: "No mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes out of him at every pore." Sigmund Freud
- Morgan: British historian C. Northcote Parkinson said, "Delay is the deadliest form of denial."
- Prentiss: Winston Churchill said, "There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues of human society are created, strengthened and maintained."
- Hotchner: Mario Puzo wrote, "The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other."
Cold Comfort [4.14]Edit
- JJ: "And so, all the night-tide, I lay down by the side. Of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride. In the sepulchre there by the sea. In her tomb by the sounding sea." Edgar Allan Poe
- Rossi: "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase
Zoe's Reprise [4.15]Edit
- Rossi: "I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn." Albert Einstein
- Rossi: Austrian novelist Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach wrote, "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
Pleasure is my Business [4.16]Edit
- Hotchner: "The prostitute is not, as feminists claim, the victim of men, but rather their conqueror, an outlaw, who controls the sexual channels between nature and culture." Camille Paglia
- Prentiss: Leonardo da Vinci said, "He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done."
- Hotchner: "Fate is not satisfied with inflicting one calamity." Roman author Publilius Syrus
- Hotchner: "Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny." John Hobbes
House on Fire [4.19]Edit
- Hotchner: Tennessee Williams said, "We all live in a house on fire, no fire department to call; no way out."
- Hotchner: "I have loved to the point of madness; That which is called madness, That which to me, is the only sensible way to love." Françoise Sagan
- Reid: "Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always gotten there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett
- Reid: Stephen King wrote, "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win."
A Shade of Gray [4.21]Edit
- Rossi: Dr. Burton Grebin once said, "To lose a child is to lose a piece of yourself."
- Rossi: André Maurois wrote, "Without a family, man, alone in the world, trembles with the cold."
The Big Wheel [4.22]Edit
- Hotchner: "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." Francis Bacon
- Morgan: "No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris
- Hotchner: "I'm not sure about automobiles. With all their speed forward, they may be a step backward in civilization." Booth Tarkington
- JJ: "The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still, small voice of conscience." Mahatma Gandhi
- Reid: "It will become fine dust over all the land of Egypt and it will become boils breaking out with sores on man and beast through all the land of Egypt." Exodus 9:9
- Reid: "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller
To Hell... And Back (Part 1) [4.25]Edit
- Hotchner: Flannery O'Connor said, "If there were no hell, we would be like the animals. No hell, no dignity."
To Hell... And Back (Part 2) [4.26]Edit
Nameless, Faceless [5.1]Edit
- Rossi: Karl Kraus said, "A weak man has doubts before a decision. A strong man has them afterwards."
- Hotchner: Emily Dickinson wrote, "One need not be a chamber to be haunted, one need not be a house. The brain has corridors surpassing material place."
- Hotchner: "There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscience that dwells in the heart of every man." Polybius
- Rossi: "Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical." Blaise Pascal
- Rossi: "I have always found that mercy bears richer fruit than strict justice." Abraham Lincoln
- Morgan: Kingman Brewster, Jr. said, "There is no lasting hope in violence, only temporary relief from hopelessness."
- Morgan: William Shakespeare wrote, "These violent delights have violent ends."
Cradle to Grave [5.5]Edit
- JJ: Journalist William D. Tammeus wrote, "You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around and why his parents will always wave back."
The Eyes Have It [5.6]Edit
- Morgan: "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee." Matthew 5:29
- Morgan: "Dwell in peace in the home of your own being and the messenger of death will not be able to touch you." Guru Nanak
The Performer [5.7]Edit
- Reid: "In all the darkest pages of the malign supernatural, there is no more terrible tradition than that of the vampire - a pariah even among demons." Writer Montague Summers.
- Prentiss: Writer Cyril Connolly said, "Better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self."
- Morgan: "Man usually avoids attributing cleverness to somebody else unless it's an enemy." Albert Einstein
- Hotch: "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
- Hotch: Poet Haniel Long said, "So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."
The Slave of Duty [5.10]Edit
- Hotchner: W. S. Gilbert wrote, "It's love that makes the world go round." And if that's true, then the world spun a little faster with Haley in it. Haley was my best friend since we were in high school. We certainty had our struggles but, if there's one thing we agreed on unconditionally, it was our love and commitment to our son Jack. Haley's love for Jack was joyous and fierce. That fierceness is why she isn't here today. A mother's love is an unrivaled force of nature and we can all learn much from the way Haley lived her life. Haley's death causes each of us to stop and take stock of our lives, to measure who we are and what we've become. I don't have all those answers for myself, but I know who Haley was. She was the woman who died protecting the child we brought into this world together, and I will make sure that Jack grows up knowing who his mother was and how she loved and protected him, and how much I loved her. If Haley were with us today she would ask us not to mourn her death, but to celebrate her life. She would tell us... she would tell us to love our families unconditionally and to hold them close because in the end they are all that matter. I met Haley at the tryouts of our high school's production of the 'Pirates of Penzance'. I found our copy of the play and I was looking through it the other night, and I came upon a passage that seemed appropriate for this moment. "Oh dry the glistening tear, that dews that marshal cheek, thy loving children hear, in them thy comfort seek, with sympathetic care, their arms around thee creep, for oh they cannot bear, to see their father weep."
- Hotchner:"Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts." Oliver Wendell Holmes
- Hotchner: "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Prentiss:"Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit, because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure." Tacitus
- Schrader: "It's madness for the sheep to talk peace with a wolf." Thomas Fuller
- Prentiss: Washington Irving said, "There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love."
The Uncanny Valley [5.12]Edit
- Reid: Mildred Lisette Norman wrote, "Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness, possesses you. And in this materialistic age, a great many of us are possessed by our possessions."
- Reid: Isaac Asimov wrote, "In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate."
Risky Business [5.13]Edit
- JJ: "Life is a game; play it. Life is too precious; do not destroy it." Mother Teresa
- JJ: "Experience is a brutal teacher. But you learn -- my God, do you learn." C.S. Lewis
- Rossi: "If I am what I have and if I lose what I have, who then am I?" German psychologist Erich Fromm
- Prentiss: "Oh! what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" Sir Walter Scott
Public Enemy [5.15]Edit
- Rossi: "Show me a hero, and I will write you a tragedy" F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Rossi: William Shakespeare wrote, "When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry."
Mosley Lane [5.16]Edit
- JJ: Nietzsche wrote, "Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man."
- JJ: Emily Dickinson wrote, "Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all."
Solitary Man [5.17]Edit
- Prentiss: Tennessee Williams said, "We're all of us sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life."
- Morgan: Cristopher Lasch said, "Family is a haven in a heartless world."
The Fight [5.18]Edit
- Hotch: Mother Teresa said, "I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."
Rite of Passage [5.19]Edit
- Prentiss: "A lion's work hours are only when he's hungry; once he's satisfied, the predator and prey live peacefully together." -Chuck Jones
- Hotchner: "Many persons have the wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness...it is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose." -Helen Keller
...A Thousand Words [5.20]Edit
- Rossi: "A sincere artist tries to create something which is, in itself, a living thing." painter William Dobell
- Hotch: Gandhi said, "I have seen children successfully surmount the effects of an evil inheritance. That is due to purity being an inherent attribute of the soul."
Exit Wounds [5.21]Edit
- Garcia: "Nature, in her most dazzling aspects or stupendous parts, is but the background and theatre of the tragedy of man." John Morley
- Garcia: Ralph W. Sockman said, "Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as real strength."
The Internet Is Forever [5.22]Edit
- Hotch: "The single biggest problem with communication, is the illusion that it's taken place" - George Bernard Shaw
- Rossi: "The internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand - the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt.
Our Darkest Hour [5.23]Edit
- Morgan: Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote, "And out of the darkness came the hands that reached through nature, molding men."
The Longest Night [6.1]Edit
- JJ: "A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another. If these minds love one another, the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden. But if these minds get out of harmony with one another, it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden." The Buddha
- JJ: Jean Racine said, "A tragedy need not have blood and death; it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy."
Remembrance of Things Past [6.3]Edit
- Rossi: Marcel Proust said, "Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were."
- Rossi: Mark Twain said, "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now, and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the latter. It is sad to go to pieces like this, but we all have to do it."
Compromising Positions [6.4]Edit
- Garcia: Abraham Lincoln said, "Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Prentiss: "We all wear masks, and the times comes when we cannot remove them without removing our own skin." Andre Berthiaume.
Safe Haven [6.5]Edit
- Morgan: "All humanity is one undivided and indivisible family, and each one of us is responsible for the misdeeds of all the others. I cannot detach myself from the wickedest soul." Mahatma Gandhi
- Morgan: "But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost
Devil's Night [6.6]Edit
- Hotch: Niccolo Machiavelli said “If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared”.
- Hotch: Thomas Kempis wrote, "Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of its trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse for impossibility; for it thinks all things are lawful for itself, and all things are possible."
Middle Man [6.7]Edit
- Hotch: "The herd seek out the great, not for their sake but for their influence; and the great welcome them out of vanity or need." Napoleon Bonaparte
- Hotch: "Without heroes, we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go." Bernard Malamud
Reflection of Desire [6.8]Edit
- Garcia: "Fame will go by and, so long, I've had you, fame. If it goes by, I've always known it was fickle. So at least it's something I experience, but that's not where I live." Marilyn Monroe
Into the Woods [6.9]Edit
- Morgan: Ralph Ellison said, "I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me."
- Hotch: Elise Cabot said, "Evil endures a moment's flush, and then leaves but a burnt out shell."
What Happens at Home [6.10]Edit
- Hotch: "When we were children, we used to think that when we grew up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability. To be alive is to be vulnerable." writer Madeleine L'Engle
- Rossi: "Children begin by loving their parents. As they grow older, they judge them. Sometimes they forgive them." writer Oscar Wilde
25 to Life [6.11]Edit
- Morgan: "There is no such thing as part freedom." Nelson Mandela
- Morgan: "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." Galileo
- Reid: "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."-Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
- Reid: "The best and most beautiful things in life cannot be seen or touched, but just felt by the heart."-Helen Keller
The Thirteenth Step [6.13]Edit
- Prentiss: Friedrich Nietzsche wrote, "What really raises one's indignation against suffering is not suffering intrinsically, but the senselessness of suffering."
- Prentiss: William Glasser said, "What happened in the past that was painful has a great deal to do with what we are today."
Sense Memory [6.14]Edit
- Morgan: "Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez
- Prentiss: "Nothing revives the past so completely as a smell that was once associated with it." Novelist Vladimir Nabokov
Today I Do [6.15]Edit
- Rossi: "It's hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head." -Sally Kempton
- Prentiss: "There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul." -Ella Wheeler Wilcox.
- Reid: "Tomorrow you promise yourself will be different, yet tomorrow is too often a repetition of today." -Author James T. McCay
- Prentiss: Lao Tzu said, "When I let go of what I am I become what I might be."
- Prentiss: Journalist Dorothy Dix wrote, "Confession is always weakness. The grave soul keeps its own secrets and takes its own punishment in silence."
- Prentiss:"The secret to getting away with lying is believing with all your heart; that goes for lying to yourself even more so than lying to another." -author Elizabeth Bear
- JJ: Psychoanalyst Walter Langer wrote, "People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it."
With Friends Like These... [6.19]Edit
- Reid: Lizette Reese said, "The old faiths light their candles all about, but burly Truth comes by and puts them out."
- Morgan: Siddharta Buddha said, "It is not his enemy or foe that lures him to evil ways."
Hanley Waters [6.20]Edit
- Morgan: Poet Antonio Porchia said, "Man, when he does not grieve, hardly exists."
The Stranger [6.21]Edit
- Hotch: Stephen King wrote, "Sometimes human places create inhuman monsters."
- Seaver: "Every journey into the past is complicated by delusions, false memories, false namings of real events." – Adrienne Rich
Out of the Light [6.22]Edit
- Rossi: Agathon said, "Of this alone even God is deprived, the power of making things that are past never to have been."
- Hotch: Doménico Cieri Estrada wrote, "Bring the past only if you're going to build from it."
Big Sea [6.23]Edit
- Rossi: "The sea has never been friendly to man. At most it has been the accomplice of human restlessness." -Joseph Conrad
- Morgan: "We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came." -John F. Kennedy
Supply & Demand [6.24]Edit
- Hotch: "And yet to every bad, there's a worse." -Thomas Hardy
- Rossi: "What lies in our power to do, lies in our power not to do." -Aristotle.
It Takes a Village [7.1]Edit
- JJ: Queen Elizabeth I said, "The past cannot be cured."
- Reid: "If it is a miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a fact, proof is necessary." -Mark Twain
- Rossi: Scott Adams wrote, "Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge."
Dorado Falls [7.3]Edit
- Reid: "Men are not prisoners of fate but prisoners of their own minds." -Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Rossi: "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for a moment that we're not alone." -Orson Welles.
- Reid: "You may leave school, but it never leaves you." -Andy Partridge
- Hotch: "Pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding." -Kahlil Gibran
From Childhood's Hour [7.5]Edit
- Reid: "From childhood's hour I have not been as others were; I have not seen as others saw." -Edgar Allan Poe
- Rossi: "All things truly wicked start from an innocence." -Ernest Hemingway
- Rossi: "To die is poignantly bitter, but the idea of having to die without having lived is unbearable." Erich Fromm.
- Rossi: "The timing of death, like the ending of a story, gives a changed meaning to what preceded it." Mary Catherine Bateson.
There's No Place Like Home [7.7]Edit
- Hotch: "For the man sound of body and serene of mind there is no such thing as bad weather; every day has its beauty, and storms which whip the blood do but make it pulse more vigorously." -George Gissing
- JJ: "Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are." -Arthur Golden
- Garcia: "Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark." -George Isles
- Garcia: We are each on our own journey; each of us are on our very own adventure encountering all kinds of challenges, and the choices we make on that adventure will shape us as we go. Those choices will stretch us and test us and push us to our limit, and our adventure will make us stronger than we ever knew we could be. There's a quote by my favorite author Joseph Campbell, and it goes like this: "Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
Self-Fulfilling Prophecy [7.9]Edit
- Morgan: "Things do not change; we do." -Henry David Thoreau
- Morgan: "Beware, so long as you live, of judging men by their outward appearance." -Jean de La Fontaine
The Bittersweet Science [7.10]Edit
- Hotch: "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die." -Joe Louis
- Hotch: Hermann Hesse wrote, "Some of us think holding on makes us strong but sometimes it is letting go."
True Genius [7.11]Edit
- Morgan: "Three can keep a secret if two are dead." -Benjamin Franklin
- Reid: "There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy." -Dante.
Unknown Subject [7.12]Edit
- Hotch: "We do not suffer from the shock of our trauma, but we make out of it just what suits our purposes." -Alfred Adler
- Prentiss: "All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on." -Henry Ellis.
Snake Eyes [7.13]Edit
- Hotch: A Chinese proverb says, "At the gambling table, there are no fathers or sons."
- Rossi: George Augustus Sala said, "A gambler with a system must be, to a greater or lesser extent, insane."
Closing Time [7.14]Edit
- Hotch: "For trust not him that hath once broken faith." -William Shakespeare
- Hotch: "You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough." -Frank Crane.
A Thin Line [7.15]Edit
- Morgan: "Equality may, perhaps, be a right, but no power on Earth can ever turn it into a fact." -Honoré de Balzac
- Prentiss: "I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." -Malcolm X.
A Family Affair [7.16]Edit
- Morgan: Eckhart Tolle said, "Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath."
- JJ: "Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity, they think of you." -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
I Love You, Tommy Brown [7.17]Edit
- Morgan: "It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you but trusting them not to."
- Morgan: "For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth." - Bo Bennett
- Prentiss: "Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin." -Barbara Kingsolver
- Morgan: "Nothing fixes a thing so intently in the memory as the wish to forget it." -Michel de Montaigne.
Heathridge Manor [7.19]Edit
- Prentiss: "We are each our own devil, and we make this world our own hell.” -Oscar Wilde
- Hotch: "All that we see or seem. Is but a dream within a dream." -Edgar Allen Poe.
The Company [7.20]Edit
- Morgan: "Worse than telling a lie is spending your whole life staying true to a lie." -Robert Brault
- Garcia: You know in the entire time I have known you, you are like, the glistening hero in the movie of life.
Divining Rod [7.21]Edit
- Hotch: "Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake
- Prentiss: "It is only in love and murder that we still remain sincere." -Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Profiling 101 [7.22]Edit
- Rossi: Philosopher Voltaire said, "To the living we owe respect, but to the dead we owe only the truth."
- Rossi: Irish statesman and author Edmund Burke wrote, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
- JJ: "Fear is met and destroyed with courage." -James F. Bell
- Prentiss: "I've always heard every ending is also a beginning. We just don't know it at the time. I'd like to believe that's true."
The Silencer [8.1]Edit
- Hotch: "As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do." -Andrew Carnegie
- Hotch: "A man is known by the silence he keeps." -Oliver Herford.
The Pact [8.2]Edit
- Rossi: Ralph Steadman wrote, "Evil is always devising more corrosive misery through man's restless need to exact revenge out of his hate."
- Rossi: Paul Brown said, "If you win, say nothing. If you lose, say less."
Through the Looking Glass [8.3]Edit
- JJ: The German author Goethe wrote, "Behavior is the mirror in which everyone shows their true image."
- Hotch: "One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth doing is what we do for others." -Lewis Carroll
God Complex [8.4]Edit
- Reid: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote, "When a doctor goes wrong, he is the first of criminals. He has the nerve, and he has the knowledge."
- JJ: "Body and soul cannot be separated for the purposes of treatment, for they are one and indivisible. Sick minds must be healed as well as sick bodies." -Dr. Jeff Miller
The Good Earth [8.5]Edit
- Reid: "I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allen Poe.
- JJ: Alfred Austin said, "Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."
The Apprenticeship [8.6]Edit
- Morgan: "Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher." -Japanese Proverb
- Reid: "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your own riches, but to reveal to him his own." -Benjamin Disraeli.
The Fallen [8.7]Edit
- Rossi: "You never find yourself, until you face the truth." -Pearl Bailey
- Rossi: "I am not concerned that you have fallen. I am concerned that you arise." -Abraham Lincoln.
The Wheels on the Bus [8.8]Edit
- Hotch: "I'm not afraid of death. It's the stake one puts up in order to play the game of life." -Jean Giraudoux
- Morgan: "It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." - Frederick Douglass.
Magnificent Light [8.9]Edit
- Blake: "A great deal of talent is lost to the world for the want of a little courage." - Sydney Smith
- Morgan: "The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive but in finding something to live for." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Lesson [8.10]Edit
- Reid: William Shakespeare once wrote, "Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind."
- Reid: Thomas Merton wrote, "Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone. We find it with another."
- Reid: "I have never yet heard of a murderer who was not afraid of a ghost." - John Philpot Curran
- Rossi: "The doctrine of the immortality of the soul has more threat than comfort." - Mason Cooley
- Reid: "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." - Lao Tzu
Magnum Opus [8.13]Edit
- JJ: "My blood alone remains. Take it, but do not make me suffer long." -Marie Antoinette
- Reid: "Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go but rather learning to start over." -Nicole Sobon.
All That Remains [8.14]Edit
- Hotch: "Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishing." -Anaïs Nin
- Hotch: Alan Lightman said, "The tragedy of this world is that no one is happy, whether stuck in a time of pain or of joy."
- Blake: "The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are stronger at the broken places." -Ernest Hemingway
Carbon Copy [8.16]Edit
- Rossi: "Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery." -Charles Caleb Colton.
The Gathering [8.17]Edit
- Reid: Barbara Grizzuti Harrison once said: "All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."
- Reid: Oscar Wilde said "I can resist anything except temptation."
- Rossi: "I am dead. Only vengeance can restore me." -Terry Goodkind
- Morgan: "For darkness restores what light cannot repair.' ― Joseph Brodsky
Pay It Forward [8.19]Edit
- Rossi: ˝A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen˝ - Edward De Bono
- Hotch: ˝There is no present or future; only the past, happening over and over again now.˝ - Eugene O'Neill
- Rossi: "Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?" Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Reid: J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."
Nanny Dearest [8.21]Edit
- Hotch: "Children are educated by what the grown-up is, and not by his talk." - Carl Jung
- JJ: "Alone, all alone; Nobody, but nobody can make it out here alone." - Maya Angelou
- Blake: "We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love. It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person." - [W.] Somerset Maugham
Brothers Hotchner [8.23]Edit
- Hotchner: "Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof." - Richard Bach
- Hotchner: "Cruel is the strife of brothers." - Aristotle.
The Replicator [8.24]Edit
- Rossi: "Affliction comes to us, not to make us sad but sober; not to make us sorry but wise." - H. G. Wells
- Hotchner: "The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.” - Richard Bach
The Inspiration [9.01]Edit
- Rossi: "Who knows where inspiration comes from. Perhaps it arises from desperation. Perhaps it comes from the flukes of the universe, the kindness of the muses." Amy Tan
- Hotch: Josh Billings once said, "There are two things for which we are never really prepared for: twins."
The Inspired [9.02]Edit
- Morgan: "We are not only our brother's keeper, in countless large and small ways we are our brother's maker." Bonaro Overstreet
- Hotch: "They mess you up, your Mom and Dad. They may not mean to, but they do. They fill you with the faults they had. And add some extra, just for you." Philip Larkin.
Final Shot [9.03]Edit
- Rossi: "Our most basic common link is is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." -John F. Kennedy
To Bear Witness [9.04]Edit
- Morgan: "Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too was a gift." -Mary Oliver
- Hotch: "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside of us while we live." -Norman Cousins.
Route 66 [9.05]Edit
- Hotchner: "Life is a dream. Realize it." Mother Teresa.
In the Blood [9.06]Edit
- Reid: "After all, what is man but a hoard of ghosts? Oaks, that were acorns, that were oaks." -Walter de la Mare.
- Garcia: Mitch Albom said, "Death ends a life, not a relationship."
- Rossi: "If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins." - Benjamin Franklin.
- Reid: "The most important thing that parents can teach their children is how to get along without them." - Frank Clark.
The Return [9.08]Edit
- Morgan: Alfred Hitchcock said, "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it."
- JJ: "The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse." - Edmund Burke.
Strange Fruit [9.09]Edit
- Rossi: "The universe doesn't like secrets; it conspires to reveal the truth to lead you to it" - Lisa Unger.
The Caller [9.10]Edit
- Reid: "Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil." - Aristotle
- Rossi: "We cannot despair of humanity, since we ourselves are human beings." - Albert Einstein.
- Blake: "Brothers and sisters are as close as hands and feet". - Vietnamese Proverb
- Blake: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." - Helen Keller
The Black Queen [9.12]Edit
- Morgan: “People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds, it is something one creates.” ― Thomas Szasz
- Garcia: “To invent your own life's meaning is not easy, but it's still allowed, and I think you'll be happier for the trouble.” ― Bill Watterson.
The Road Home [9.13]Edit
- Morgan: “Beware the fury of a patient man.” ― John Dryden
- Rossi: “Forgiveness does not change the past but it does enlarge the future.” ― Paul Boese.
- Prentiss: “Why should we look to the past in order to prepare for the future? Because there is nowhere else to look.” ― James Burke
- JJ: Nietzsche said, "When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks into you."
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson [9.15]Edit
- Blake: Author Jennifer Smith wrote: "Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story."
- Garcia: "Each relationship nurtures a strength or weakness within you." ― Mike Murdock
- Hotch: "It's often said there is no footprint too small to leave an imprint on this world."
- JJ: "A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them." ― Victor Hugo
- Reid: "The secret of my influence has always been that it remained secret." ― Salvador Dali
- Rossi: "Illusion is needed to disguise the emptiness within." ― Arthur Erickson.
- Reid: "It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know what sort of disease a person has." - Hippocrates
- Morgan: "Friendship multiplies the good of life and divides the evil." - Baltasar Gracian.
The Edge of Winter [9.19]Edit
- Morgan: "No one is ever a victim, although your conquerors would have you believe in your own victimhood. How else could they conquer you?" - Barbara Marciniak
- Morgan: “There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain, the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss.
Blood Relations [9.20]Edit
- Blake: “The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
What Happens in Mecklinburg [9.21]Edit
- Reid: Albert Einstein said, "In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same."
- Hotch: A proverb states: "He that was born to be hanged will never be drowned."
- Rossi: "A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." - Jean de la Fontaine.
Angels (Part 1) [9.23]Edit
- Rossi: "The name written on her forehead was a mystery: Babylon the great the mother of prostitutes and of the abominations of the earth." - Revelation 17:5
Demons (Part 2) [9.24]Edit
- Reid: "When truth is buried underground it grows, it chokes, it gathers such an explosive force that on the day it bursts out, it blows up everything with it." ― Emile Zola
- Reid: “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell
- Rossi: "I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind." ― Edgar Allen Poe
- JJ: "Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed." - Irene Peter
- Morgan: "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you can see." - Winston Churchill
- Garcia: "It doesn't take a lot of strength to hang on. It takes a lot of strength to let go." - J. C. Watts.
A Thousand Suns [10.03]Edit
- Hotchner: "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst forth at once in the sky, that would be like the splendour of the Mighty One." - from the Hindu Holy Book, Bhagavad-Gita
- Rossi: "We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent." - J. Robert Oppenheimer
The Itch [10.04]Edit
- Hotchner: "What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, That, rubbing the poor itch of your opinion, Make yourselves scabs?" - William Shakespeare
- JJ: "Getting rid of a delusion makes us wiser than getting hold of the truth." - Ludwig Borne.
Boxed In [10.05]Edit
- Hotch: "There is nothing funny about Halloween. This sarcastic festival reflects, rather, an infernal demand for revenge by children on the adult world." - Jean Baudrillard
- JJ: "Always kiss your children goodnight; even if they're already asleep." - H Jackson Brown, Jr
If the Shoe Fits [10.06]Edit
- JJ: "Deep vengeance is the daughter of deep silence." - Vittorio Alfieri
- Reid: "When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking." - Albert Einstein.
- Morgan: "Naivete in grownups is often charming; but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity." - Eric Hoffer
- Morgan: "For there is a fellowship more quiet even than solitude, and which, rightly understood, is solitude made perfect." - Robert Lewis Stevenson.
The Boys of Sudworth Place [10.08]Edit
- Reid: Wayne Dyer once said, "How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
- Morgan: "Our moral responsibility is not to stop the future, but to shape it...to channel our destiny in humane directions and to ease the trauma of transition." - Alvin Toffler
- Rossi: "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- Rossi: "When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be." - Julia Glass.
Amelia Porter [10.10]Edit
- Reid: "Remove my sin, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." - Psalm 51.
- Callahan: "The soul that has conceived one wickedness can nurse no good thereafter." - Sophocles.
The Forever people [10.11]Edit
- JJ: "Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Callahan: "Death is the only god that comes when you call." - Roger Zelazny
- Rossi: "As life runs on, the road grows strange with faces new - and near the end. The milestones into headstones change, Neath every one a friend." - James Russell Lowell
Nelson's Sparrow [10.13]Edit
- Rossi: "The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Hotch: "When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him." - Euripides
Hero Worship [10.14]Edit
- Reid: "The most heroic word in all languages is revolution." - Eugene V. Debs
- Reid: “True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.” - Arthur Ashe
- Callahan: William R. Alger once said, "Men often make up in wrath what they want in reason."
- Hotch: "Nothing can drive one closer to his own insanity than a haunting memory refusing its own death." - Darnella Ford
- Hotch: "When the prison doors are opened, the real dragon will fly out." - Ho Chi Minh
- Rossi: Dwight D. Eisenhower once wrote, "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom."
Breath Play [10.17]Edit
- Rossi: "There is hardly anyone whose sexual life, if it were broadcast, would not fill the world at large with surprise and horror." - W. Somerset Maugham
- Callahan: “Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.” - Dr. Haim Ginott
Rock Creek Park [10.18]Edit
- Reid: "The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde
Beyond Borders [10.19]Edit
- Hotch: "...No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - Terry Pratchett
- Jack Garrett: "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford
A Place at the Table [10.20]Edit
- Rossi: "When one has not had a good father, one must create one." - Friedrich Nietzsche
- Hotch: "We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future." - George Bernard Shaw
Mr. Scratch [10.21]Edit
- Hotch: "Your memory is a monster, it summons with a will of its own. You think you have a memory, but it has you." - John Irving
- Rossi: "It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." - Buddha
- Reid: "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
The Hunt [10.23]Edit
- Callahan: "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." - Albert Einstein
- Callahan: "Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we're proud of. We are what we chose to be." - Graham Brown
The Job [11.01]Edit
- Hotchner: "Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle
- Garcia: "Courage is grace under pressure." - Ernest Hemingway
The Witness [11.02]Edit
- Morgan: "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped." - Tony Robbins
- Rossi: "The world is so unpredictable. Things happen suddenly, unexpectedly. We want to feel we are in control of our own existence. In some ways we are, in some ways we're not. We are ruled by the forces of chance and coincidence." - Paul Auster
Til Death Do Us Part [11.03]Edit
- Dr Lewis: "And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course." - Khalil Gibran, The Prophet
- Rossi: "I hold it true, what-e'er befall; I feel it, when I sorrow most; Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Reid: "All sins tend to be addictive, and the terminal point of addiction is damnation." - W. H. Auden
The Night Watch [11.05]Edit
- Reid: "Ghosts were created when the first man woke in the night." - J. M. Berrie
- Dr Lewis: "More grows in the garden, than the gardener knows he has planted." - Spanish proverb
- Morgan: "I swear, from the bottom of my heart, I want to be healed. I want to be like other men, not this outcast who nobody wants." - E.M. Forster
- Dr Lewis: "To remain indifferent to the challenges we face is indefensible. If the goal is noble, whether or not it is realized within our lifetime is largely irrelevant. What we must do, therefore, is to strive, and persevere, and never give up." - Dalai Lama, The 14th
Target Rich [11.07]Edit
- Hotchner: "We are all sharks, circling, and waiting for traces of blood to appear in the water." - Alan Clar
- Rossi: "To a father, nothing is dearer than a daughter." - Euripides
- JJ: "You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body. But you will never imprison my mind." - Mahatma Gandhi
- JJ: "Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion of death." - Coco Chanel
Internal Affairs [11.09]Edit
- Rossi: "A mole hunt is ill-advised for those who don't want to risk their own skin." - Old Proverb that Rossi made up
- Hotchner: "The enemy is within the gates; it is with our own luxury, our own folly, our own criminality that we have to contend." - Marcus Tullius Cicer
Future Perfect [11.10]Edit
- Hotchner: "The clock talked loud. I threw it away. It scared me when it talked." - Tillie Olsen
- Reid: "Just as the constant increase of entropy is the basic law of the universe, so it is the basic law of life to struggle against entropy." - Vaclav Havel
- Reid: "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society." - Theodore Roosevelt
- Hotchner: "A man's very highest moment is, I have no doubt at all, when he kneels in the dust, and beats his breast, and tells all the sins of his life." - Oscar Wilde
The Bond [11.13]Edit
A Badge And A Gun [11.15]Edit
The Sandman [11.17]Edit
- Joe Mantegna - Senior Supervisory Special Agent David Rossi (2007-present)
- Shemar Moore - Supervisory Special Agent Derek Morgan (2005-present)
- Matthew Gray Gubler - Supervisory Special Agent Dr. Spencer Reid (2005-present)
- A.J. Cook - Supervisory Special Agent Jennifer "JJ" Jareau (2005-present - 4 episodes in 2011)
- Kirsten Vangsness - Technical Analyst Penelope Garcia (2005-present)
- Thomas Gibson - Unit Chief, Supervisory Special Agent Aaron "Hotch" Hotchner (2005-present)
- Jennifer Love Hewitt - Supervisory Special Agent Kate Callahan (2014-present)
- Aisha Tyler - Psychologist Dr Tara Lewis (2015-present)
- Jeanne Triplehorn - Supervisory Special Agent Alex Blake (2012-2014)
- Paget Brewster - Supervisory Special Agent Emily Prentiss (2006-2012)
- Rachel Nichols - FBI Cadet Ashley Seaver (2011)
- Mandy Patinkin - Senior Supervisory Special Agent Jason Gideon (2005-2007)
- Lola Glaudini - Supervisory Special Agent Elle Greenaway (2005-2006)