Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to John Adams. --Antiquary 20:23, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
- Examine the struggle to not only establish a free republic, but to give it the economic strength and governmental structure that would allow it to prosper.
- We have no constitution which functions in the absence of a moral people.
- Possibly a variant of "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." taken from "Letter to the Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massachusetts, 11 October 1798." This quote is in the main Wikiquote page for John Adams.
- There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
- When philosophic reason is clear and certain by intuition or necessary induction, no subsequent revelation supported by prophecies or miracles can supersede it.
Does anyone have evidence that this quote is not from John Adams, and if so, by whom it is spoken?
- "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by sword. The other is by debt."
- The quotes from "The Rights of the Colonists" (1772) do not belong here! The pamphlet is by Samuel Adams, not John. https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Samuel_Adams#QuotesBloomology (talk) 19:10, 8 December 2013 (UTC)
No bold fonts needed - please reformatEdit
Adams was not only the wisest politician imho, but also his understanding of the world's processes can't be matched even by modern economic ideologists like Keynes aso.
However, the boldface typesetting of certain parts of Adam's great citations is not needed. In fact it's quite odd to read, also because it gives the impression that the authors wanted to stress certain sentences while devaluate others. But all came from the same genious mind, so please reformat it, thanks. --220.127.116.11 22:39, 3 June 2014 (UTC)