Righteousness (also called rectitude) is an important theological concept in many traditions including Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam. It is an attribute that implies that a person's actions are justified, and can have the connotation that the person has been "judged" or "reckoned" as leading a life that in fullest accord with the imperatives of God.
- Whenever righteousness wanes and unrighteousness increases I send myself forth.
For the protection of the good and for the destruction of evil,
and for the establishment of righteousness,
I come into being age after age.
- Bhagavad Gita 4.7–8
- RIGHTEOUSNESS, n. A sturdy virtue that was once found among the Pantidoodles inhabiting the lower part of the peninsula of Oque. Some feeble attempts were made by returned missionaries to introduce it into several European countries, but it appears to have been imperfectly expounded.
- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary (1911).
- Righteousness and faith certainly are instrumental in healing the sick, deaf, or lame — if such healing accomplishes God's purposes and is in accordance with His will. Thus, even with strong faith, many mountains will not be moved. And not all of the sick and infirm will be healed.
- A home with a loving and loyal husband and wife is the supreme setting in which children can be reared in love and righteousness and in which the spiritual and physical needs of children can be met.
- One of the trials of life is that we do not usually receive immediately the full blessing for righteousness or the full cursing for wickedness.
- Now, the redemption which we as yet await (continued Imlac), will be that of Kalki, who will come as a Silver Stallion: all evils and every sort of folly will perish at the coming of this Kalki: true righteousness will be restored, and the minds of men will be made as clear as crystal.
- But seek till ye find, and, whatever ye find for the present, let your last act be to lay and leave yourselves on the righteousness of His Son, expecting life through His name, according to the promise of the Father.
- There are two sorts of hypocrites: one that are deceived with their outward morality and external religion; many of which are professed Arminians, in the doctrine of justification: and the other, are those that are deceived with false discoveries and elevations; which often cry down works, and men's own righteousness, and talk much of free grace; but at the same time make a righteousness of their discoveries, and of their humiliation, and exalt themselves to heaven with them. These two kinds of hypocrites, Mr. Shepard, in his Exposition of the Parable of the Ten Virgins, distinguishes by the names of legal and evangelical hypocrites; and often speaks of the latter as the worst. And it is evident that the latter are commonly by far the most confident in their hope, and with the most difficulty brought off from it: I have scarcely known the instance of such a one, in my life, that has been undeceived.
- Jonathan Edwards, A Treatise Concerning Religious Affections (1746), PART II : Showing What Are No Certain Signs That Religious Affections Are Truly Gracious, Or That They Are Not, Ch. 11: Nothing can be certainly known of the nature of Religious Affections, that they much dispose persons with their mouths to praise and glorify God
- True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness.
- Albert Einstein, as quoted in Reading God's Mind: His Thoughts for Every Life Situation, by Dottie Eichhorn (2011), p. 171
- The company of just and righteous men is better than wealth and a rich estate.
- Euripides Ægeus, Frag. 7.
- When all is said and done, the greatest satisfaction you'll have in this life as you grow old will be seeing your children grow in righteousness and faith and goodness as citizens of the society of which they are a part.
- It means, people who are in high and responsible positions, if they go against righteousness, righteousness itself will get transformed into a destroyer.
- You have to expect spiritual warfare whenever you stand up for righteousness or call attention to basic values. It's just a matter of light battling the darkness. But the light wins every time. You can't throw enough darkness on light to put it out.
- That swarm of ants that I observed, each one following the one ahead, have every one been Indra in the world of the gods by virtue of their own past action. And now, by virtue of their deeds done in the past, they have gradually fallen to the state of ants.
- Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero.
- To our constant prayers for the welfare of our country, and of the whole human race, we shall esteem it our duty and happiness to unite our most earnest endeavors to promote the pure and undefiled religion of Christ; for as this secures eternal felicity to men in a future state, so we are persuaded that good Christians will always be good citizens, and that where righteousness prevails among individuals the Nation will be great and happy. Thus while just government protects all in their religious rights, true religion affords to government its surest support.
- John H. Livingston et al, of the Synod of the Reformed Dutch Church, in a letter to George Washington (9 October 1789)
- A lot of the time, I write a lot of angry stuff, but then I don't want to be a finger-pointer - I'd rather be a cheerleader than a judge. I don't want to preach as if I'm in some position of righteousness, but I do want to speak my mind and scream at the clouds and shout out of the pit of hopelessness that I sometimes think the human race is in.
- Dave Matthews, in "Dave Matthews: Conscience and Craft"] by Alan Light, msn Entertainment News
- People don't ever seem to realise that doing what's right's no guarantee against misfortune.
- William McFee, Casuals of the Sea : The Voyage of a Soul (1916), Book II: The City, Ch. VI
- Canada has a passive-aggressive culture, with a lot of sarcasm and righteousness. That went with my weird messianic complex. The ego is a fascinating monster. I was taught from a young age that I had to serve, so that turned into me thinking I had to save the planet.
- The truth is, the secular world isn't too enamored with Jesus. And they're not too enamored with someone who is leading people to Jesus. So if you're out there talking about people's sins, and you're talking about righteousness, you will get pushback. Jesus Himself did. The apostles did. I mean, there's persecution all up and down the line.
- The holy spirit means the invisible power of Jehovah, holy because he is holy. This power of Jehovah operated upon the minds of honest men who loved and who were devoted to righteousness, directing them in the writing of the Bible. The spirit of God, i. e., his invisible power, moved upon the waters and thereby he created.
- By no means shall you attain to righteousness until you spend (benevolently) out of what you love; and whatever thing you spend, God surely knows it.
- Quran 3:92
- Whoever acts righteously, whether male or female, and is a believer, We will certainly enable him lead a pure life and surely We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their deeds.
- Quran 16:97
- A man's sentiments are generally just and right, while it is second selfish thought which makes him trim and adopt some other view. The best reforms are worked out when sentiment operates, as it does in women, with the indignation of righteousness.
- Who can compete with righteousness? It creates life.
- When righteousness is cut off, injustice is increased.
- Even a millstone will float in the river for a righteous man.
- Passive righteousness tells us that God does not need our good works. Active righteousness tells us that our neighbor does. The aim and direction of good works are horizontal, not vertical.
- The atom bomb was no great decision. It was merely another powerful weapon in the arsenal of righteousness.
- 'Righteous hatred' is in the same category as 'righteous cancer' or 'righteous tuberculosis'. All of them are absurd concepts.
- Alan Wallace, Tibetan Buddhism from the Ground up, Wisdom (1993)
- Leaving sin is not enough, unless we embrace righteousness.
- The righteousness of Jesus Christ is one of those great mysteries, which the angels desire to look into, and seems to be one of the first lessons that God taught men after the fall.
- George Whitefield, in John Gillies, George Whitefield Memoirs of the Rev. George Whitefield: To which is Appended an Extensive ..., E. Hunt, 1853, p. 332
- My heart hath often been deeply afflicted under a feeling that the standard of pure righteousness is not lifted up to the people by us, as a society, in that clearness which it might have been, had we been as faithful as we ought to be to the teachings of Christ.
- Wilt Thou indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked? Peradventure there are fifty righteous within the city; wilt Thou indeed sweep away and not forgive the place for the fifty righteous that are therein? That be far from Thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked, that so the righteous should be as the wicked; that be far from Thee; shall not the Judge of all the earth do justly? … Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD, who am but dust and ashes. Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous; wilt Thou destroy all the city for lack of five? … Oh, let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak yet but this once. Peradventure ten shall be found there?
- אֹ֭הֵב צְדָקָ֣ה וּמִשְׁפָּ֑ט חֶ֥סֶד יְ֝הוָ֗ה מָלְאָ֥ה הָאָֽרֶץ׃
- Attributed to David, Tanakh, Psalm 33:5, Leningrad Codex.
- He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
- Loving righteousness and judgment, Of the kindness of Jehovah is the earth full.
- The Lord loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love.
- גֹּ֣ול עַל־יְהוָ֣ה דַּרְכֶּ֑ךָ וּבְטַ֥ח עָ֝לָ֗יו וְה֣וּא יַעֲשֶֽׂה׃
וְהֹוצִ֣יא כָאֹ֣ור צִדְקֶ֑ךָ וּ֝מִשְׁפָּטֶ֗ךָ כַּֽצָּהֳרָֽיִם׃
- Attributed to David, Tanakh, Psalms 37:5-6, Leningrad Codex.
- Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
- Roll on Jehovah thy way, And trust upon Him, and He worketh,
And hath brought out as light thy righteousness, And thy judgment as noon-day.
- Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun.
- Listen to me, you who are pursuing righteousness, You who are seeking the Lord. Look to the rock from which you were hewn And to the quarry from which you were dug.
- For I say to you that if your righteousness does not surpass that of the scribes and the Pharisees, you will by no means enter into the Kingdom of heavens.
- The anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.
- For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
- If you see oppression of the poor, and justice and righteousness trampled in a country, do not be astounded.
- Gray hair is a crown of beauty when it is found in the way of righteousness.
- The righteous care about justice for the poor,
- The ungodly ... reasoned unsoundly, saying to themselves,...
- Let us lie in wait for the righteous man,
- because he is inconvenient to us and opposes our actions;
- he reproaches us for sins against the law,
- and accuses us of sins against our training.
- He professes to have knowledge of God,
- and calls himself a child of the Lord.
- He became to us a reproof of our thoughts;
- the very sight of him is a burden to us,
- because his manner of life is unlike that of others,
- and his ways are strange.
- We are considered by him as something base,
- and he avoids our ways as unclean.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical QuotationsEdit
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 675.
- Be not righteous overmuch.
- Ecclesiastes. VII. 16
- Every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
- Hebrews. V. 13
- A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast; but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.
- Proverbs. XII. 10
- Righteousness exalteth a nation.
- Proverbs. XIV. 34
- I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.
- Psalms. XXXVII. 25
- The righteous shall flourish like the palm-tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
- Psalms. XCII. 12