Darkness is the opposite of brightness, and is a relative absence of visible light.
- I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.
- Louis Armstrong What a Wonderful World
- Now in darkness, world stops turning
ashes where the bodies burning.
- In brightest day, in blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!
- Hal Jordan's oath, created by John Broome and Gil Kane
- Dark as pitch.
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress (1678), Part I.
- The waves were dead; the tides were in their grave,
The Moon, their Mistress, had expired before;
The winds were wither'd in the stagnant air,
And the clouds perish'd; darkness had no need
Of aid from them—she was the Universe.
- Darkness which may be felt.
- Exodus, 10:21.
- There was an old woman who lived in a room. And, like all of us, was frightened of the dark. But who discovered in a minute last fragment of her life that there was nothing in the dark that wasn't there when the lights were on. Object lesson for the more frightened amongst us, in or out, of the Twilight Zone.
- As spoken by Rod Serling in Twilight Zone Nothing in the Dark written by George Clayton Johnson
- Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
- Martin Luther King, Jr., 'Where Do We Go From Here?" as published in Where Do We Go from Here : Chaos or Community? (1967), p. 62.
- Darkness of slumber and death, forever sinking and sinking.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline (1847), Part II, V, line 108.
- Lo! darkness bends down like a mother of grief
On the limitless plain, and the fall of her hair
It has mantled a world.
- Joaquin Miller, From Sea to Sea, Stanza 4; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 160-61.
- Yet from those flames
No light, but rather darkness visible.
- They were kept in the dark, squatting there with nothing to dwell upon beyond the fact they were unclean. Even the touch of their shadow would sour the land, blighting crops that grew there....At the end of their confinement they were led out blinking into the harsh and masculine glare of the sun. Their clothing was taken from them and destroyed. Their anger in darkness turning, unreleased, unspoken, it's mouth a red wound...
- Their anger in darkness turning, unreleased, unspoken, it's mouth a red wound, its eyes hungry...hungry for the moon.
- Once there was only dark. If you ask me, the light's winning.
- "Rust" Cohle, Matthew McConaughey, True Detective (TV series), Form and Void, written by Nic Pizzolatto
- Brief as the lightning in the collied night,
That, in a spleen, unfolds both heaven and earth,
And ere a man had power to say, Behold!
The jaws of darkness do devour it up.
- The charm dissolves apace,
And as the morning steals upon the night,
Melting the darkness, so their rising senses
Begin to chase the ignorant fumes that mantle
Their clearer reason.
- Raven: It's dark magic! You've been teaching me dark magic!
- Malchior: Is it dark, or is it simply misunderstood...like you?
- Teen Titans, Spellbound, written by William Slack
- And out of darkness came the hands
That reach thro' nature, moulding men.
- One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.]]
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring