Green Lantern is the title of many superhero characters appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. Alan Scott, created by writer Bill Finger and artist Martin Nodell in All-American Comics #16 (July 1940), was the earliest. The most famous is Hal Jordan, created by John Broome and Gil Kane in Showcase #22 (Oct. 1959). Each Green Lantern possesses a power ring that gives the user great control over the physical world as long as the wielder has sufficient willpower and strength to wield it.
- See also: Green Lantern (2011 film)
- I shall shed my light over dark evil.
For the dark things cannot stand the light,
The light of the Green Lantern!
- Original Green Lantern oath
- In days of peace, in nights of war
Obey the Laws forever more
Misconduct must be answered for
Swear us the chosen: The Alpha Corps!
- In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!
- You who are wicked, evil and mean
I'm the nastiest creep you've ever seen!
Come one, come all, put up a fight
I'll pound your butts with Green Lantern's light!
- In loudest din or hush profound
My ears catch evil's slightest sound
Let those who toll out evil's knell
Beware my power, the F-Sharp Bell!
Green Lantern/Green ArrowEdit
[After visiting a ghetto.]
- Green Arrow:: Like what you've seen? Listen, I hope you enjoyed playing super-hero out there...I hope it did a lot of good for your ego.
- Old man: I been readin about you...how you work for the blue skins...and how on a planet someplace you helped out the orange skins...and you done considerable for the purple skins! Only there's skins you never bothered with. The black skins! I want to know...how come?!
- Green Lantern: I can't…
- Green Lantern / Green Arrow #1, written by Dennis O'Neil
About Green LanternEdit
- I picked out the name from the train man on the tracks who was waving a lantern, going from red to green.... Green meant go and I decided that was it. Then I needed a colorful and interesting costume. I was interested in Greek mythology and so the costume took on elements of that. It just all fell into place. When I sent it in, I waited into the second week before I heard the word to come in. I was ushered into Mr. [Max] Gaines office, publisher, and after sitting a long time and flipping through the pages of my presentation, he announced, 'We like it!' And then, 'Get to work!' I did the first five pages of an eight page story, and then they called in Bill Finger to help. We worked on it for seven years.
- Martin Nodell as qtd. in Bill Blac, "An Interview with Green Lantern Creator Martin Nodell", AC Comics, 2000. WebCitation archive
- Green Arrow: That's right, Lantern... apologize. Grovel in front of that walking mummy. You call yourself a hero! Chum, you don't even qualify as a man. You're no more than a puppet... and the Guardians pull your strings. Listen... forget about chasing around the galaxy! And remember America. It's a good country... beautiful... fertile... and terribly sick! There are children dying, honest people cowering in fear, disillusioned kids ripping up campuses. On the streets of Memphis a good black man died... and in Los Angeles, a good white man fell. Something is wrong. Something is killing us all! Some hideous moral cancer is rotting our very souls.
- Dennis O'Neil, "No Evil Shall Escape My Sight", Green Lantern Vol 2 #76, (April, 1970).