Monday is the day of the week between Sunday and Tuesday. According to the traditional Christian, Islamic, and Hebrew calendars, it is the second day of the week, and according to international standard ISO 8601 it is the first day of the week. In the West, it is the first day of the work week, whereas in most Muslim countries and Israel, it is the second day of the work week. The name of Monday is derived from Old English Mōnandæg and Middle English Monenday, which means "moon day".
- It's fine work. Monday burn Millay, Wednesday Whitman, Friday Faulkner, burn 'em to ashes, then burn the ashes. That's our official slogan.
- Guy Montag to Clarisse McClellan in "The Hearth and the Salamander," Pt. 1 of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 (1953), p. 6.
- In the 1966 François Truffaut film based on the book, Montag (Oskar Werner)'s line is:
- Barry: Here's the thing: I made that tape special for today—my special Monday morning tape for you—special.
Rob Gordon: Well it's fuckin' Monday afternoon, you should get out of bed earlier!
- In all possible universes, Monday was the same.
- Monday's child is fair of face
- "Monday's Child," first recorded in A. E. Bray's Traditions of Devonshire vol. II (1838), pp. 287–288).
- Monday, we held it together
- Aretha Franklin, "Good News," So Damn Happy (September 2003), tr. 10.
- Just leave me alone
I've got those Monday blues
Straight through Sunday blues
- But then, a Monday morning quarterback never lost a game
- Monday, back from the dead
I'm letting it go, back for another one
- Monday's gone
Thursday's all but wasted now
- It's just another manic Monday
I wish it were Sunday
'Cause that's my fun day
My I-don't-have-to-run day
It's just another manic Monday
- Tell me why I don't like Mondays
- Rainy days and Mondays always get me down
- Oh, Monday morning, the cracks become quite clear
Oh, Monday morning, take me back, leave me here
- I don't care if Monday's blue
- Monday you can fall apart
- I don't care if Monday's black
- Monday you can hold your head
- Monday morning feels so bad
Everybody seems to nag me
- Monday I have Friday on my mind
- Monday, Monday, so good to me
- Monday, Monday, can't trust that day
- But whenever Monday comes
You can find me crying all of the time
- Oh, Monday, Monday, won't go away
Monday, Monday, it's here to stay
- Monday had a sad child
Always feeling low down
Quotes from Office Space (1999)Edit
- Peter Gibbons: I gotta get outta here. I think I'm gonna lose it.
- Female Temp: Uh-oh. Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.
- Brian [Chotchkie's waiter]: So can I get you gentlemen something more to drink? Or maybe something to nibble on? Some Pizza Shooters, Shrimp Poppers, or Extreme Fajitas?
- Peter: Just coffee.
- Brian: Okay. Sounds like a case of the Mondays.
- Peter: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?"
- Lawrence: No. No, man. Shit no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.
- Encyclopedic article on Monday at Wikipedia
- The dictionary definition of Monday at Wiktionary
- Media related to Monday at Wikimedia Commons
|Days of the week|
|Sunday · Monday · Tuesday · Wednesday · Thursday · Friday · Saturday|