Friends (season 5)
season of television series
Friends (1994–2004) was an American sitcom revolving around six 20-30 something friends living in Manhattan.
The One After Ross Says Rachel [5.01]Edit
- [After Ross and Emily's disastrous reception.]
- Joey: You know, I think that went well.
- Chandler: It could've been worse; he could have shot her.
- Rachel: No, you're not an idiot, Ross. You're a guy very much in love.
- Ross: Same difference.
The One with All the Kissing [5.02]Edit
- Rachel: Phoebe, you were right. I should've never gone to London, and from now on you make all of my decisions for me.
- Phoebe: Oh, no. I did that for someone once. I'm not comfortable having that kind of power and control over someone's life.
- Monica: I'll do it!
- Ross: I'm just going to wander around in the rain.
- Rachel: Uhh... it's not raining.
- Ross: I can't catch a break!
The 100th [5.03]Edit
- Nurse: [pointing at Joey and Ross] Now, which one of you is the father?
- Phoebe: Oh no, neither of them are the father. The father is my brother.
- Nurse: Okaaay.
- Rachel: I am so gonna miss seeing you freak people out like that.
- Chandler: So, uh, now that little Chandler turned out to be a girl, what are they gonna name her?
- Phoebe: They're gonna call her Chandler.
- Chandler: That's kind of a masculine name, don't you think?
- Phoebe: Works on you.
The One Where Phoebe Hates PBS [5.04]Edit
- Phoebe: I just found a selfless good deed; I went to the park and let a bee sting me.
- Joey: How is that a good deed?
- Phoebe: Because now the bee gets to look tough in front of his bee friends. The bee is happy and I am not.
- Joey: You know the bee probably died when he stung you?
- Phoebe: Dammit!
- Ross: Okay, then. Here we go. Magic 8-Ball, should I never see Rachel again? "Ask again later." Later is not good enough! "Ask again later." What the hell! This is broken! It... it is broken!
- Monica: All right, let me see. Will Chandler have sex tonight? "Don't count on it." Seems like it works to me.
The One with the Kips [5.05]Edit
- [Monica, Chandler, Phoebe, and Joey are all trapped in Monica's room. Chandler has his ear pressed to the door.]
- Phoebe: Can you hear anything?
- Chandler: Oh, yeah, someone just said, "Can you hear anything?"
- [Joey is searching for something under Monica's bed. Monica turns around and sees Joey's butt sticking out from the top of her bed.]
- Monica: Hey, Joey's ass. What are you doing?
- Joey: [About Ross and Rachel] Well, remember when they had that big fight and broke up, and we got stuck in here with no food or anything? Well, when Ross said "Rachel" at the wedding, I figured it was gonna happen again, you know? So I hid this in here.
- [Places a small box on the bed filled with candy bars and other things.]
- Monica: Ooh! Candy bars, crossword puzzles...
- Phoebe: Ooh, Mad Libs! MINE!
- [Chandler finds a few condoms in the box.]
- Chandler: Condoms?
- Joey: Hey, you don't know how long we're gonna be in here. We may have to repopulate the Earth!
- Chandler: And condoms are the way do that?
- Monica: I'm really getting tired of always sneaking around all the time.
- Chandler: Me, too. What if we went away for the weekend? No interruptions and we could be naked the entire time.
- Monica All weekend? That's a whole lot naked.
- Chandler: I'll say I have a conference and you can have a... uh... chef thing.
- Monica: I've always wanted to go to this culinary fair in Jersey!
- Chandler: Okay! You know you're not, though.
The One with the Yeti [5.06]Edit
- Monica: So basically, this is a getting-rid-of-everything-Rachel-ever-used sale.
- Ross: Touched, used, sat on, slept on.
- Gunther: I'll take it all.
- Rachel: We were, we were just in the storage area and we saw this really creepy man!
- Rachel: It was, like, this crazy-eyed, hairy beast man! He was like a, like a bigfoot or a yeti or something!
- Monica: And he came at us with an axe, so Rachel had to use a bug bomb on him!
- Rachel: Yeah, I — I — I just pulled the tab and I just fogged his yeti ass!
- Joey: Uhh, like, dark hair, bushy beard?
- Rachel: Yeah!
- Joey: Yeah, you fogged Danny.
- Rachel: Please! We did not fog Danny!... Who's Danny?
- Joey: Dan just moved in downstairs. Yeah, he just got back from like this four-month trek in the Andes. Nice fella.
- Monica: Oh he's nice. He's nice! Y'know, you always stick up for the people we fog!
The One Where Ross Moves In [5.07]Edit
- Rachel: No, I can't get started with all that Ross stuff again. I mean, he's gonna be screwed up for a long time. And besides, you know, I don't, I don't go for guys right after they get divorced.
- Monica: Right, you only go for them five minutes before they get married.
- Joey: Come on, Chandler. Ross is our friend and he needs us right now. So why don't you be a grownup and come watch some TV in the fort?
The One with All the Thanksgivings [5.08]Edit
- Rachel: You know what we should do? We should play that game where everybody says what they're thankful for.
- Joey: Oh. I should be thankful for the wonderful fall we've been having.
- Everybody: YEAH.
- Joey: I remember one day I was at the bus stop and this cool fall breeze came blowing out of nowhere and totally lifted this chick's skirt. Oh. And I'm also thankful for thongs.
- [After they hear the story where Chandler's toe gets cut off]
- Monica: I'm sorry.
- Chandler: Well, sorry doesn't bring back the little piggy that cried all the way home.
The One with Ross's Sandwich [5.09]Edit
- Phoebe: I'm taking a Literature class at the New School.
- Chandler: That is so cool.
- Phoebe: Yeah, well, I really liked that Lamaze class I took! You know, I just thought this time I'd go for something, you know, a little more intellectual... with a less painful final exam.
- Ross: Someone at work ate my sandwich!
- Chandler: Well, what did the police say?
- Ross: My Thanksgiving leftover sandwich! I can't believe someone ate it!
- Chandler: It's just a sandwich!
- Ross: Just a sandwich? I'm 30 years old, I'm going to be divorced twice and I just got evicted! That sandwich was the only good thing going on in my life! SOMEONE ATE THE ONLY GOOD THING GOING ON IN MY LIFE! [pauses]
- Monica: I have enough stuff for one more sandwich. I was going to eat it myself, but...
- Ross: That would be incredible! Thank you so much! I still can't believe someone ate it!! I left a note!
- Chandler: [reading the note] "Knock-knock." "Who's there?" "Ross Geller's lunch." "'Ross Geller's lunch' who?" "Ross Geller's lunch; please don't take me, ok?"
- Joey: I'm surprised you didn't go home wearing your lunch!
- Phoebe: You want to hold on to your food, you have to scare people off. I learned that living on the street.
- Ross: Really? So what would you say? "Keep your mitts off my grub"?
- Chandler: Ross, when you picture Phoebe living on the street, is she surrounded by the entire cast of Annie?
- Phoebe: [writing a note] This will keep them away from your stuff!
- [Everyone sees the note and gasps]
- Monica: Phoebe, you are a bad-ass!
- Phoebe: Someday I'll tell you about the time I stabbed a cop!
- Monica: Phoebe!
- Phoebe: HE STABBED ME FIRST!!
The One with the Inappropriate Sister [5.10]Edit
- Monica: Danny, you know Rachel? She’s nice. She’s not bad to look at, right?
- Rachel: Thanks, Mon.
- Danny: Well, of course.
- Monica: Do you want to go out on a date with her?
- Rachel: Monica!
- Danny: Absolutely! Is Friday okay?
- Monica: Friday’s perfect. She can’t wait.
- Danny: [to Monica] On the date, I will be able to talk to her directly?
- Danny: I had a really nice time tonight.
- Rachel: So did I. I'm really glad Monica asked us out.
The One with All the Resolutions [5.11]Edit
- Ross: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, "No divorces in '99. Whoo."
- Rachel: But your divorce isn't even final yet.
- Ross: Just the one divorce in '99. WHOO. You know what? I'm going to be happy this year, I'm gonna make myself happy.
- Chandler: Do you want us to leave the room, or...?
- Chandler: [giving up on his resolution not to make fun of his friends] I can't take it any more! So you win, okay? Pheebs? Flying a jet? Better make it a spaceship so that you can get back to your home planet! And Ross, phone call for you today - Tom Jones, he wants his pants back! And Hornswoggle? What? Are you dating a character from Fraggle Rock?
The One with Chandler's Work Laugh [5.12]Edit
- Joey: Look, it's not that big a deal. So Monica and Chandler are doing it.
- Rachel: I cannot believe you would say that!
- Joey: Sorry. Monica and Chandler are "making love."
- Ross: Janice and I have a lot in common. We've both been divorced, we both have kids...
- Phoebe: So you're gonna see her again?
- Joey: Phoebe, don't put ideas in his head!
- Ross: I am gonna see her again.
- Joey: Dammit, Phoebe!
The One with Joey's Bag [5.13]Edit
- [Outfitting him for a role, Rachel encourages Joey to carry a unisex leather bag.]
- Joey: But it is odd how a woman's purse looks so good on me, a man!
- Rachel: Exactly! Unisex!
- Joey: Tch! Maybe you need sex. I had sex a couple days ago.
- Rachel: No, no, Joey! U-N-I-sex.
- Joey: Well! Ain't gonna say "no" to that!
- Phoebe: Lily's dead!
- Frank Sr.: She — what?
- Phoebe: She's dead.
- Frank Sr.: Are you sure?
- Phoebe: Well, if she isn't, cremating her was a big mistake.
The One Where Everybody Finds Out [5.14]Edit
- Monica: You are so cute. How did you get to be so cute?
- Chandler: Well, my grandfather was Swedish and my grandmother was actually a tiny little bunny.
- Phoebe: So, this is my bra.
- Chandler: It's very, very nice. Well, come here. I'm very happy we're gonna have all the sex.
- Phoebe: You should be. I'm very bendy. I'm going to kiss you now.
- Chandler: Not if I kiss you first. [They awkwardly put their hands on each other] Well...I guess there's nothing left for us to do but... but kiss.
- Phoebe: Here it comes. Our first kiss.
- [They slowly reach each other and kiss, which Chandler breaks away from]
- Chandler: Okay, okay, okay, you win! You win! I can't have sex with you!
- Phoebe: And why not?
- Chandler: Because I'm in love with Monica!
- Phoebe: You're... you're what?
- Chandler: [as Rachel, Monica and Joey enter] Love her! That's right, I love her! I...love her! [goes to Monica] I love you, Monica.
- Monica: I love you, too, Chandler. [they kiss]
- Phoebe: I just thought you guys were doing it. I didn't know you were in love.
The One with the Girl Who Hits Joey [5.15]Edit
- Monica: Do you really think the best reason to get married is because you're sorry?
- Chandler: Well, no, the best reason to get married is pregnancy. Sorry's about fourth, behind being ready and actually wanting to get married.
- Joey: Hey Ross, will you pass me that knife?
- Ross: No, I will not!
- Joey: Oh, it's okay. You don't have to be so mean about it.
- Ross: You're right, I'm sorry. Will you marry me? [They all laugh].
- Phoebe: Aw, and I was gonna ask you to marry me because I forgot to say hello to you last week.
The One with the Cop [5.16]Edit
- Rachel: I brought reinforcements.
- Ross: You brought Joey?
- Rachel: Um... no, but I brought the next best thing.
- [Chandler walks in.]
- Chandler: Hey.
- Ross: Chandler? You brought Chandler? The next best thing would have been Monica!
- Chandler: Normally I'd be offended, but she is freakishly strong.
- Ross: Look, I drew a sketch about how we're gonna do it. Okay, Rach, that's you. That's the couch.
- Rachel: Whoa, what's ... what's that?
- Ross: Oh, that's me.
- Rachel: Wow! You certainly think a lot of yourself.
- Ross: No! That's ... that's my arm.
- Chandler: Oh, I see. I thought you just really, really liked your new couch.
The One with Rachel's Inadvertent Kiss [5.17]Edit
- Monica: Phoebe and Gary think they're the hotter couple. So, to prove them wrong we have to go and have a ton of sex.
- Chandler: Monica, you've got to stop this competitiveness. Just to prove them wrong you want me to go up stairs and have sex with you over, and over, and over, and I'm saying no to this why? Get your coat!
- Monica: [creeps up on Chandler, in the men's room] You know, Chandler, I've always found public men's rooms to be quite sexy. Haven't you?
- Chandler: No. And, if I did, I don't think we would be seeing each other.
- Chandler: You smoked.
- Rachel: I did not.
- Chandler: Yes you did. You look happy and sick-- you smoked!
- Rachel: All right, fine, but I had to. I had to do it for my career.
- Chandler: I wish I had to smoke for my career.
- Joey: Hi, Ben. So you want to be an actor, huh? Well, I got to tell you, it's no picnic. There's tons of rejection. No stability. I mean, one day you're Dr. Drake Ramoray. The next day you're eating ketchup right out of the bottle. It's a tough life. I mean, sure, okay you can get up whenever you want, watch T.V. all day, meet tons of women in acting class... Who am I kidding? I can't talk you out of this. It's a great life.
- Chandler: Rachel, did it bother you when Ross flirted with other women?
- Rachel: No, it bothered me when he slept with other women.
- Caitlin: Where's the chicken?
- Chandler: Oh, he's in the back. The duck pissed him off. Said, "Eggs came first."
- Chandler: [sniffs] This sandwich does smell good...
- Joey: Did I say you could smell my sandwich?
- Chandler: I can't smell your sandwich?
- Joey: No! Half of the taste is in the smell! You're sucking up all the taste units!
- Chandler: Okay, I'll give them back. [exhales]
- Monica: Man, I would be great in a war! I really think I'd make a fantastic military leader. I mean, I know I'd make general before any of you guys.
- Chandler: Before or after you were shot by your own troops?
The One with the Ball [5.21]Edit
- Joey: So is Staten Island really an island?
- Ross: Hence the name: Staten Island.
- Joey: Oh, I thought it was like Long Island.
- Ross: Also an island!
- [Rachel comes in with a sphynx cat.]
- Rachel: Check it out!
- Ross: What... what is ?
- Joey: What... What the hell is that?
- Rachel: It... It's a cat.
- Joey: That is not a cat.
- Rachel: Yes, it is.
- Ross: Why is it inside out?
The One with Joey's Big Break [5.22]Edit
- Phoebe: [about which route to take to Vegas] Oh, if you take the northern route, there's a man in Illinois with a beard of bees.
- Joey: Great! Problem solved!
- Phoebe: But on the southern route, there's a chicken that plays tic-tac-toe.
- Joey: Well, back to square one.
- Monica: Open your eyes.
- Rachel: They are.
- [Rachel's eyes are closed]
- Monica: How many fingers am I holding up?
- Rachel: Four.
- Monica: Oh, my God. I was thinking four.
- Rachel: Really?
- Monica: OK, now this is just practice. One... two... three.
- [Rachel quickly jerks her head to avoid the eyedrops]
- Monica: My pillow's all wet.
- Rachel: Well, you said it was practice.
- Monica: Then why did you move your head?
- Rachel: Because I knew you were lying.
The One in VegasEdit
Part 1 [5.23]Edit
- Rachel: No! Phoebe, just because I'm alone doesn't mean I wanna walk around naked. I mean, you live alone, you don't walk around naked.
- Phoebe: Uh-huh! Why do you think it takes me so long to answer the door?
- Phoebe: This place is so much better than London! Okay? This lady dressed like Cleopatra gave me a coupon, 99 cent steak and lobster dinner. Huh!
- Monica: Phoebe, you don't eat animals.
- Phoebe: For 99 cents, I'd eat you.
Part 2' [5.24]Edit
- [Ross and Rachel are drunk in Vegas]
- Joey: Hey Rach. How you doin'?
- Rachel: I'm doing good baby. How you doin'?
- Joey: Ross. Don't let her drink anymore.
- Phoebe: Yeah, from now on everyone you lurk, I'm gonna lurk first! You move on to someone else, I'm gonna be one step ahead of you, every single time! And then I'll be on your ass every hour of every day 'til Monday, because that's when I go home. When do you leave?
- The Lurker: Also Monday.
- Phoebe: What time? Maybe we can share a cab!