false or misleading information that is spread deliberately to deceive and manipulate
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- We must constantly encourage Western journalists to write precisely the opposite of our real intentions and anyone who writes or speaks about our real intentions accurately or impartially in the Western sense of these words must quickly be dismissed and ridiculed as someone of the Right or a fascist, someone who wants to bring back McCarthyism.
- Ivan Agayants Explaining the benefits of disinformation. Quoted in "KGB" - Page 142 - by Brian Freemantle - Social Science - 1982.
- "We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false." - William J. Casey, CIA Director (1981)"
- As I mentioned before, exposure to true information does not matter anymore. A person who is demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell him nothing, even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents and pictures. ...he will refuse to believe it... That's the tragedy of the situation of demoralization.
- Yuri Bezmenov, 1983 interview, as quoted in 38 years ago, a KGB defector chillingly predicted modern America (18 July 2018), Big Think.
- The lowest form of popular culture—lack of information, misinformation, disinformation, and a contempt for the truth or the reality of most people’s lives—has overrun real journalism. Today, ordinary Americans are being stuffed with garbage.
- Carl Bernstein. An A-Z of cultural terms, The Guardian (1992)
- The media want to maintain their intimate relation to state power. They want to get leaks, they want to get invited to the press conferences. They want to rub shoulders with the Secretary of State, all that kind of business. To do that, you've got to play the game, and playing the game means telling their lies, serving as their disinformation apparatus.
- The "Democrats" have learned from the unlamented KGB, whose primary weapon of desinformatsiya, or disinformation, was a million agents whose job was to ruin the reputation of every key opponent of worldwide Communism by making up vicious rumors and peddling them via a plethora of front organizations. The left have done their best to trash my reputation because I have dared to question the climate scare with which they had hoped to bully the West into shutting itself down without a shot being fired. Just look at my CreepyMedia page. I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of artful lies told over and over again by a host of paid trolls and useful idiots.
- Information is power. Disinformation is abuse of power.
- Newton Lee, Facebook Nation: Total Information Awareness (2nd Edition) (Springer, October 20, 2014)
- While information is the oxygen of the modern age, disinformation is the carbon monoxide that can poison generations.
- Newton Lee, Counterterrorism and Cybersecurity: Total Information Awareness (2nd Edition), 2015
- While we claim to live in an information age, disinformation has become the order of the day.