false or incorrect information, regardless of malice or intent to deceive
- [the vaccine is] ungodly, or there's something in it that will mark you
- There's a mixture of, like, almost fear, and saying, 'Hey, if you do this, maybe you're not as faithful as you should be as, say, a Christian.'
- I think this [rigid thinking that treats history as a political weapon] is the greatest threat to our republic ever. Not the Depression, not World War II, not the Civil War. This is it … This moment of all these intersecting viruses, of novel coronaviruses and of racial injustice — [a] 402-year-old-virus. And it’s an age-old human virus of lying and misinformation and paranoia and conspiracy. This is the pill that will kill us unless we do something.
- Ken Burns quoted in "Opinion: Ken Burns is an optimist. But he’s very worried about America" by Alyssa Rosenberg, in The Washington Post (24 June 2021)
- The dark ages still reign over all humanity, and the depth and persistence of this domination are only now becoming clear. This Dark Ages prison has no steel bars, chains, or locks. Instead, it is locked by misorientation and built of misinformation.
- Buckminster Fuller, in Cosmography : A Posthumous Scenario for the Future of Humanity (1992)
- Movies are one of the bad habits that have corrupted our century. They have slipped into the American mind more misinformation in one evening than the Dark Ages could muster in a decade.
- Ben Hecht, A Child of the Century, 1954
- When we talk about our concerns with Facebook, we’re talking about the power that it has to disseminate misinformation and disinformation. We’re never going to put this genie back in the bottle, but surely we can decide that lies are bad.
- Aaron Sorkin, David Marchese (March 1, 2020). "Aaron Sorkin on how he would write the Democratic primary for ‘The West Wing.’". New York Times. Retrieved on March 2, 2020.
- Misinformation is just like a virus. There is an origin. It’s hard to find where the origin is, but it starts with a small group of people and it takes human hosts to spread from person to person.