Administrators are Wikiquotians who have "sysop rights". Current English Wikiquote policy is to grant this access liberally to anyone who has been an active Wikiquote contributor for a while and is generally a known and trusted member of the community. "This should be no big deal," as Jimbo has said.
"Sysop" and "administrator" are really misnomers, as they are just Wikiquote users who have had performance and security-based restrictions on a couple of features lifted because they seemed like trustworthy folks and asked nicely. Sysops are not imbued with any special authority, and are equal to everybody else in terms of editorial responsibility.
What's the deal?
The Wiki software has few restricted features, but they are quite important. Sysops can:
- Edit the Main Page which is protected to prevent vandalism. Anyone can suggest changes to it at Talk:Main Page.
- Edit other protected pages. They can also protect and unprotect pages. For information and guidelines, or to challenge a decision to protect, see Wikiquote:Protected page.
- Delete pages and their history. For information and guidelines, see Wikiquote:Deletion policy. To suggest a page to delete (after reading the policy), see Wikiquote:Votes for deletion. Sometimes deletion is a technical matter, in which a redirection page has to be removed to make way for renaming an article, or a page whose history has been broken up has to be deleted and the pieces recombined. Other times it's a matter of cleaning up simple junk edits on pages with no actual content, or removing material that has been pasted in from another site and infringes copyright.
- Undelete pages and their history. After having been deleted, pages remain in the archive table, a sysop can undelete the whole pages or parts of their revisions. To challenge a decision to delete a page, see Wikiquote:Deletion review.
- Block IP addresses. See Wikiquote:Blocking policy for guidelines, Special:Ipblocklist for currently blocked addresses and Wikiquote:IP probation watchlist for recently unblocked addresses. If your IP has been blocked, then you can see which administrator blocked you when you try to edit, and you can contact them individually if you think that there's been a simple mistake. Otherwise, to challenge a decision to block an IP address, use this page's talk page, or the mailing list if it's your IP that has been blocked. This is meant solely to discourage persistent junk edits. IP banning is not meant to be used against unpopular opinions. Because dynamic IPs and proxies are so common with major internet providers, if you've been banned for things someone else did, don't take it personally, just notify the list.
- Revert pages rapidly & quietly. Though every user can revert a Wikiquote page, a quicker way is available for administrators. Once they click [rollback] botton on an user contribution page or diff page, it is reverted with a message automatically generated. For recovering vandalism, administrators can revert pages in quiet, adding a bot flag to their reversions. Adding &bot=1 to the url of a user contribution page, and reversion from this page doesn't appear on Recentchanges. Administrators should never use this quiet mode to hide reversion for their own personal purposes.
Users with ordinary access, including visitors who haven't "signed in", can still do many things, including the most important: editing articles. But only signed-up users can rename pages; see Special:Userlogin to sign up for yourself.
Becoming an administrator
If you would like sysop access add your name to Wikiquote:Requests for adminship.
Current English Wikiquote policy is to grant administrator status to anyone who has been an active Wikiquote contributor for a while and is generally a known and trusted member of the community. Most users seem to agree that the more administrators there are the better.
It's recommended that you write for Wikiquote for a while before requesting administrator status, since other users will have to recognise you before they can agree on your promotion. Also keep in mind that each other language Wikiquote has its own policies for administrators, which may differ somewhat.
Be careful, please! If you are granted access, we ask that you exercise care in using these functions, especially the ability to delete pages and their history, to delete images, and the ability to block IP addresses.
Bureaucrats and stewards
There are other privileges around adminship directly: to promote users to admins or deprive adminship from them. A Bureaucrat is a sysop holding the additional privileges as following:
- to promote other users to admins or bureaucrats.
- to set and remove bot flags from automated bot accounts. See m:Makebot
Bureaucrats cannot remove user rights, except for the bot flag. Removal of other flags must be done by stewards. Stewards have the power to do this globally (across all Wikimedia projects), but they decide nothing and they are bound to follow the consensus of each project's community. All request to stewards in relation to flags should be listed on m:Steward requests/Permissions. Stewards also handle requests to change usernames.
See also: Bureaucracy
CheckUser and oversight
Checkuser actions are recorded on the Wikiquote checkuser log, and only users with CheckUser access can check the log.
Due to the seriousness and sensitivity of the task of handling private information of users, CheckUser status has some additional restrictions. A given project must have at least two users granted CheckUser access, so that they can check the other's behaviors. Also the users granted CheckUser access must inform the Wikimedia Foundation of their identity and age, in accordance with the Access to nonpublic data policy. Also they should be over 18 years of age (or over the age of majority in the jurisdiction they reside if it is higher than 18).
There is also an access called "oversight". See m:Hiding revisions for further information. Oversight status is under similar restriction as CheckUser access. Currently no one holds oversight on this wiki; for emergencies, a steward must be contacted.
Bureaucrats cannot give or remove checkuser or oversight status from users. It must be done by stewards after a request on m:Requests for permissions.
The other degree of access is developer, for those who can make direct changes to the Wikiquote software and database. To contact developers, see either wikitech-l for a mailing list or #wikimedia-tech for an IRC channel.
The import function allows editors to upload specially formatted text into Wikiquote, or to transwiki such material after it is exported from another Wikimedia project. Only a Meta steward can add or drop any user's importing right. After requests are approved here, they will be reported to m:Requests for permissions.
List of administrators
Administrators are marked with "(sysop)" in the list of all user accounts, bureaucrats with "(bureaucrat)", checkusers with "(checkuser)".
If you need to contact an administrator, visit one or several of the userpages below.
Active administrators can be also contacted by using the "email this user" link on their user page, if you have signed in with an email address of your own. ("Active" means they have made at least one significant edit on this project in the past few months.) A system-generated official list of admins is available at Special:Listadmins. The following users currently have sysop privileges on the English Wikiquote:
- Abramsky (en)
- Aphaia (ja, en-3, de-2, fr-1, it-1) (bureaucrat)
- BD2412 (en, fr-1, zh-CN-1) (bureaucrat)
- Cbrown1023 (en, es-2, zh-1) (inactive)
- EVula (en) (bureaucrat)
- FloNight (inactive)
- Iddo999 (inactive)
- Illegitimate Barrister (en)
- Jaxl (inactive)
- Jeff Q (en, fr-2, de-2, es-1; will try to make sense of & reply in other languages)
- jni (fi, en-3) (inactive)
- Jusjih (zh, en-3, fr-1, ko-1) (import)
- Koavf (en, es-2)
- LrdChaos (inactive)
- Mdd (nl, en-3, de-2, fr-1)
- Miszatomic (en)
- MosheZadka (inactive)
- Ningauble (en)
- Pmlineditor (bn, en-4, hi-3, most languages written in Indic script at 0.5/1 level)
- Rmhermen (inactive)
- Sketchmoose (en, la-2)
- UDScott (en) (bureaucrat)
- Ubiquity (inactive)
List of bureaucrats
The following users have bureaucrat rights. A system-generated official list of bureaucrats is available at Special:Listusers/bureaucrat
List of users granted checkuser rights
English Wikiquote does not currently have local checkusers. A system-generated official list of checkusers is available at Special:Listusers/checkuser.
The following users are former sysops.
Information for other language Wikiquoters
- This document describes the English Wikiquote process for selecting administrators and their responsibilities, and other projects may differ. However, due to technical and project goal reasons, you may find some useful and sharable points in this document.
- If your project has no equivalent and you need to appoint a sysop, you will want to set up some processes and procedures as follows:
- Equivalent of this page: The page should describe what sysops can do technically and how they would be promoted.
- Equivalent of WQ:RFA: The page where requests for sysopship on your project are placed. You can combine those two pages and it is sometimes convinient for a small project.
- Put a link to meta m:Requests for permissions on the request page. Initially, you will need to ask stewards to grant you or some your colleagues sysop rights.
- Follow the instruction on m:Requests for permissions#How to request status to publish the results of the process.
- As your project grows, you may want to introduce local Bureaucrats (see above) to take care of promotion. Selecting these should follow a similar process to selecting administrators.
Good luck! Posting on the talk page (Wikiquote talk:Administrators) of this page is one possible way to get help from others.