So while keeping Wikiquote at bay from the 188.8.131.52 fellow, I noticed you were using a tool named TwinkleGlobal. I know twinkle and it'd be pretty good to use it here, but I can't find a link. Can you direct me to where I can find it? dibbydib⌐■_■ (barate me) 00:44, 19 May 2020 (UTC)
- Hi Dibbydib, you can find instructions for installing the tool here: meta:User:Xiplus/TwinkleGlobal. This will let you use a version of Twinkle globally, including here! --Aranya (talk) 01:05, 19 May 2020 (UTC)
My name is Henni and I'm creating a draft page about figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu. This article is a collaboration project with some fellow fans, but they don't have an own Wiki-account yet, so we opened this external thread to share sources and discuss the content/progress of the page.
We're all newbies with Wikiquote and not familiar with the exact quoting and sourcing criteria. Therefore, we chose to create a draft first before moving it to the mainspace. We need to know, if the current page satisfies the guidelines of Wikiquote. Could you take a quick look at it or recommend someone, who has some free capacity to help?
These are our most urgent questions:
- There are multiple quotes from primary sources like commentaries or interviews from competition broadcasts with no official/reliable transcriptions. However, those quotes are pretty famous/iconic and have been recited in the figure skating community multiple times, so we'd really like to put them in. Is that allowed or do we have to remove them?
- Many of Hanyu's quotes are originally in Japanese and only few of them have been translated by official/reliable English sources so far, so we were forced to translate them ourselves by sharing different fan translations and consulting amateur translators/native speakers. Is that a legit procedure?
- As authors, we try to be as neutral and careful in the selection of quotes and wording as possible, but as fans it's unavoidable to be biased to some extent. So it would be great to receive a quick feedback about the neutrality of the article.
I'm very sorry to bother you with this load of questions, but I would be very happy, if you gave a short reply. Thank you very much in advance!
- Hi Henni, thanks for leaving a message here. I would be happy to help. First off, the draft is already at a very good place - so great work so far, especially with the translations. After briefly looking over the draft, I have some notes:
- I think some of the quotes in the "Quotes about Yuzuru Hanyu" section may need to be reviewed. I would mainly suggest taking out the Instagram comments. Even though those comments come from famous actors, they don't stand out to me as a general reader who is unfamiliar with Yuzuru Hanyu.
- Rather than using (1), (2), ... to mark separate quotes from the same source, you should provide the same source under each individual quote. You don't have to link the source after the first time though.
- We have a very rough "template" for entries on people at Wikiquote:Templates/People. You don't need to make the page look exactly like that, but it might be helpful for formatting.
- Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the translation aspect, so maybe a more experienced user can help in that area. The village pump might be a good place, but it can be slow to get a response as you might have seen. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help. Best wishes, Aranya (talk) 03:07, 15 September 2020 (UTC)
- Thank you very much for your quick response!
- Yes, the "quotes about"-section is a bit like a container for suggestions at the moment. I put everything in with the thought: it's easier to remove a sourced quote than search for one. When the first collecting cycle is finished, we will discuss the notability of the quotes one by one and remove the superfluous/unfitting ones.
- Thank you for linking the people-template. The categories and links to other Wiki projects are included already, I just hid them as long as the draft is in the userspace (the links don't work here). And I will remove the enumerations from multiquotes in the next edit ;)
- One question about dates: in the template it's recommended to use the format YYYY-MM-DD. Does that mean, I have to change the current format to "published 2011-05-01" for example? Do I need those double-brackets for internal links?
- Best wishes, Henni --3,1415-Komplex (talk) 08:01, 15 September 2020 (UTC)
- Thank you very much for your quick response!
- Thanks! This is good to know.
- The first collection wave is mostly finished and the review has started. We discuss both, quotes to be removed and quotes to be highlighted and chosen for picture captions. After that, the draft should be ready to be moved to the main space. Only admins can move pages, right? Do you know, how that works?
- Best wishes, Henni --3,1415-Komplex (talk) 14:21, 17 September 2020 (UTC)
- Your account seems to be marked as autoconfirmed, so you should be able to move pages. There should be a "Move" button in the "More" tab, at the top of your draft. Alternatively, you can go to Special:MovePage/User:3,1415-Komplex/sandbox to move the page.
- When you are ready to move the page, make sure you select the "main" namespace (and not the "User" namespace). After you pick a suitable name and click the "Move" button, the page should be moved.
- If it isn't working for any reason, I can also move the page when you are ready. Aranya (talk) 15:36, 17 September 2020 (UTC)
- Thank you!! Yes, it seems to work with the move button. I will move the page after the final clean up and proofreading.
- I have one last question (this is a bit tricky): there are many reliable and accurate "fan translations" of Japanese quotes and the authors are willing to contribute their work to the page, if they are credited somewhere. Is it allowed on Wikiquote or partner projects to use such "fan translations" with proper credit or link to the source? If not, we will try to find official ones or translate the quotes ourselves as we did so far.
- Best wishes, Henni --3,1415-Komplex (talk) 18:45, 18 September 2020 (UTC)
- I just submitted my question on the Village pump, since it may concern other users as well. As a temporary solution I created a header template to inform readers about non-official translations in the article.
- Thank you very much for your help! Best wishes --3,1415-Komplex (talk) 16:36, 20 September 2020 (UTC)
Why you said "Quotes should never be removed without a comment in the edit summary" this is a Wikiquote not a Quotation website (Wiki + Quote) Wiki a collaborative website and edit articles if you want I'm a new of this wiki please explain why you said I'm from Wiki***** (Privacy matters not shown a full word) HEA42DAVFA (talk) 12:49, 18 September 2021 (UTC)