Shrek Forever After
Shrek Forever After (also known as Shrek: The Final Chapter or Shrek Forever After: The Final Chapter) is a 2010 animated fantasy-comedy film, and it is the fourth and final installment in the Shrek film series. The film is released by DreamWorks Animation and is distributed by Paramount Pictures. It was released in cinemas on May 20, 2010 in Russia, on May 21 in the United States, Pakistan, Canada, India and on May 28 in Vietnam. The film was then released on June 17, 2010 in Australia and Sri Lanka and on July 2, 2010 in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Like the first 3 Shrek films, the film is based on fairy tale themes.
- [to Rumpelstiltskin] You took the day I was born.
- [to Donkey] There's a stack of freshly made waffles in the middle of the forest! Don't you find that a wee bit suspicious?
- Okay, I know you don't remember me, but... we're married. Now, hear me out. And at the birthday party with some pigs and a puppet, the villagers wanted me to sign their pitchforks, and this boy kept saying "do the roar, do the roar!". Then I punched the cake that the pigs ate, and the next thing I knew, my donkey fell in your waffle hole. Right? Who's with me?
- I know everything about you. I know you sing so beautifully that birds explode. I know that when you sign your name, you put a heart over the "i". I know that when you see a shooting star, you cross your fingers on both hands, squinch up your nose… and you make a wish. I know that you don't like the covers wrapped around your feet, and I know that you sleep by candlelight because every time you close your eyes… you're afraid you're going to wake up back in that tower… But mostly importantly, Fiona… I know that the reason that you turn human every day... is because you've never been kissed... well... by me.
- [to Fiona] Look... all I want is for things to go back to the way they used to be. Back when villagers were afraid of me and I could take a mud bath in peace, when I could do what I wanted when I wanted to do it, back when the world made sense!
- [to Fiona; while disappearing since his "day" is almost over] You know what the best part of today was? I got the chance to fall in love with you all over again.
- Happy birthday, Farkle. Fergus, my little man. And Felicia, sweetheart, I believe this is yours.
- [After witnessing the ogres making trumpet noises with their ears.] I didn't know we could do that.
- Help! Help! I'm being kidnapped by a deranged, unbalanced ogre!
- I'm being ass-napped!
- Please eat my face last and send my hooves to my momma!
- Are my kids cute or do they make people uncomfortable?
- Quiet, ogre! You're gonna get me in trouble and I need this job. I am not going back to work for Old MacDonald! Tell me to 'E-I-E-I-O'. "E-I-E-I-No!" That's what I said.
- [after seeing a plate of waffles, being used as bait] Yeah! Waffles, and I thought the Waffle-Fairy was just a bedtime story.
- Let go of me! I have got to save Shrek!
- Shrek, you have 3 beautiful children… a wife who loves you… friends who adore you. You have everything. Why is it the only person who can't see that... is you?
- [After witnessing Shrek and the kids making trumpet noises with their ears.] I didn't know we could do that.
- Feed me... if you dare.
- [after descending down the rope] ...in Boots!
- Happy Ogre Day!
- Light your torches, sharpen your pitchforks and get... your... mob on!
- "By night one way, by day another." Blar-di-blar-di-blar!
- Nobody's smart but me!
- Get them, witches!
- You know, actually, not a bad idea.
- I wish that ogre... was never born!
- [Shrek/Donkey, singing] ♪ Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall.
All you got to do is call.
And I'll be there. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
You got a friend. ♪
- [As Rumpelstiltskin angrily scrunches up a page from a library book about Shrek]
- Pinocchio: Uh... sir, you're gonna have to pay for that.
- Rumpelstiltskin: Uh... M-m-maybe we can make a deal for it, little boy?
- Pinocchio: Oh, I'm not a real boy.
- [Rumpelstiltskin, looking devious] Do you wanna be? [Cut to Pinocchio kicking him out]
- Pinocchio: Nobody needs your deals anymore, Grumple Stinkypants!
- [Rumpelstiltskin coughs as he gets up, then picks up the ripped-out page] I wish that ogre... was never born.
- Puss: Come on, Donkey, ¡Vamonos!
- Donkey: Man, you are a 'cat-tastrophe'.
- Puss: And you, are 'ri-donkey-lous'.
- [Both laugh]
- Donkey: ♪ Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow
'Til there's none
When I'm stuck with the day, that's grey, and lonely...
- [Shrek awakens to hear Donkey singing outside the cage wagon] Donkey, stop with the singing, will you? [He realizes] Donkey! [Getting up, he bumps his head] Ow!
- Donkey: ♪ Oh, the sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on until tomorrow
Come with me…tomorrow! Tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow! ♪
- Shrek: Donkey? Where am I? What's happening?
- Onboard Witch: Quiet down there! Oh, I hate this song. [She pulls out a whip, whipping Donkey, stopping him for a second, then he resumes]
- Donkey: ♪ But I made up my mind.
I'm keepin' my baby Ooh... ♪
- Driver Witch: Uh, I'm driving, so [She takes the whip] I'm in charge of the music. [She whips him]
- Donkey: Hey! Will you witches make up your mind, please? [She whips him again] Ow! ♪ No matter what they take from me...
Witches: ♪ …they can't take away my dignity ♪
- Donkey: Why don't you just tell her what you told me? You know, about how you're her true love and you came from an alternate universe.
- Shrek: Oh, and while I'm at it, why don't I tell her that you're married to a fire breathing dragon, and you have little mutant donkey-dragon babies?
- Donkey: I do?
- Shrek: You saw what happened, she's gonna think I'm crazy.
- [Donkey, not listening] I'm a daddy?
- Shrek: You know what? If I got Fiona to kiss me once... [He blows into a frog's mouth, inflating it like a balloon] ...then I can do it again.
- Shrek: Rrrrrrrroooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr!!! [He starts panting]
- [After a small pause, the party guests start cheering]
- Butterpants: I love you, daddy.
- Puss: Everybody, I have found... [He lifts his cape revealing a new cake] another cake!
- [Everyone chants] Shrek, Shrek, Shrek, Shrek, Shrek, Shrek...!
- Fiona: Shrek, are you okay?
- Fiona: Unbelievable.
- Shrek: Tell me about it! Those villagers...!
- Fiona: I'm not talking about the villagers, Shrek. I'm talking about you. Is this really how you want to remember the kids' first birthday?
- Shrek: Oh, great. So this is all my fault.
- Fiona: Yes, but... you know what? Let's talk about this after the party, at home.
- Shrek: You mean that roadside attraction we live in? "Step right up! See the dancing ogre! Don't worry! He won't bite!" I used to be an ogre. Now I'm just a jolly green joke!
- Fiona: Okay, okay. Maybe you're not the ogre you used to be, but maybe that's not such a bad thing.
- Shrek: Ah, I wouldn't expect you to understand. It's not like you're a real ogre. You've spent half your life in a palace.
- Fiona: And the other half locked away in a tower.
- [Shrek sighs] Look, all I want is for things to go back to the way they used to be! Back when villagers were afraid of me, and I can take a mud bath in peace. When I can do what I wanted, when I wanted to do it! Back when the world made sense!
- Fiona: You mean back before you rescued me from the Dragon's Keep?
- Shrek: Exactly!
- Fiona: Shrek, you have three beautiful children, a wife who loves you, friends who adore you. You have everything. Why is it the only person who can't see that... is you?
- [Shrek, inside the wagon cage] Psst! Donkey, what's going on? Do you know where Fiona is?
- Donkey: Shh! Quiet, ogre! You're gonna get me in trouble and I need this job, so I am not going back to work for Old MacDonald. Tell me to E-I-E-I-O. E-I-E-I-No! That's what I said.
- Shrek: Where are my babies? And where's Dragon?
- Donkey: Look, ogre, I think you have me confused with some other talking donkey.
- [Shrek enters Fiona's tent] Hello? Fiona?
- [Puss, inside his cat condo, revealing not his body or face, but only his eyes in the shadow] You should not be here... señor.
- Shrek: Puss?
- [Puss struggles to get out of his resting place, revealing himself as now overweight with a pink bow on wrapped around the back of his neck.]
- Shrek: You've gotta be kiddin' me.
- [He lowers down on the scratching post, the lands on his back on a pillow. He then struggles to get up, followed by facing Shrek.]
- Puss: Feed me, if you dare.
- Shrek: Puss, what happened to you?! You got so fa... [Puss gives him a look] Fa-ancy!
- Puss: Do I know you?
- Shrek: Well, where's your hat? Where's your belt? [He gasps softly] Your wee little boots?
- Puss: Boots, for a cat? Ha! [He laughs]
- Shrek: But you're Puss in Boots.
- Puss: Maybe once, [He opens a bottle of milk] but that is a name I have outgrown.
- Shrek: That's not the only thing you've outgrown.
- Puss: Hey! I may have let myself go a little since retirement, but hanging up my sword was the best decision of my life! I have all the cream I can drink and all the mice I can chase. [A mouse runs up to his bowl and starts drinking out of it] Eh, I'll get him later. [He starts drinking out of the bowl himself]
- Shrek: Oh, Puss, what have I done to you? You've gone soft.
- Puss: Well, I do get brushed twice a day.
- Shrek: You witches are making a big mistake! I know my rights!
- Pumpkin Witch: You have the right to shut your mouth! [She drops a pumpkin which explodes with smoke in Shrek's face]
- Rumpelstiltskin: So... you're not gonna eat me?
- Shrek: No, thanks. I already had a big bowl of curly-toed weirdo for breakfast.
- Shrek: Stop! Where are you going?
- Fiona: To save my friends.
- Shrek: How, by getting yourself killed?
- Fiona: If that's what it takes.
- Shrek: Puss, say something.
- Fiona: Puss?
- Puss: L-let me explain.
- Fiona: So that's how you knew so much about me!
- Shrek: Fiona, wait! Kiss me!
- Fiona: What?
- Shrek: It's the only way to save your friends!
- Fiona: Get out of my way!
- Shrek: You used to believe that a single kiss could solve everything! [Fiona turns around and reluctantly kisses him. However, when they're done kissing, nothing happens] I don't understand. This doesn't make any sense! True love's kiss was supposed to fix everything!
- Fiona: Yeah. You know what? That's what they told me too. True love didn't get me out of that tower. I did! I saved myself! Don't you get it? It's all just a big fairy tale!
- Shrek: Fiona, don't say that! It does exist!
- Fiona: Then how would you know? Did you grow up locked away in a dragon's keep? Did you live all alone in a miserable tower? Did you cry yourself to sleep every night waiting for a true love that never came?!
- Shrek: But… but... I'm your true love.
- Fiona: Then where were you when I needed you? [She turns around and leaves]
- Donkey: Maybe you kissed her... wrong?
- Shrek: No. The kiss didn't work... because Fiona doesn't love me.
- Puss: It seems that we are safe.
- Donkey: Yeah, it looks a lot less pitchforky and torchy out there. Let's go.
- Shrek: Oh, what's the point? The kiss didn't work. It's over.
- Donkey: Look, Shrek, I know things might seem a little bleak right now, but things always work themselves out in the end. You'll see. Well, I'll bet by this time tomorrow–
- Shrek: Hey, don't you understand? There is no tomorrow, there's no day after that, and there's no day after that day after that! My life was perfect and I'm never gonna get it back!
- Donkey: Well, if your life was so perfect, then why did you sign it all the way to Rumpelstiltskin in the first place?
- Shrek: Because I didn't know what I had until it was gone, alright? [He sighs] I didn't know what I had.
- Fiona: That was a really brave thing you did, Shrek. Thank you.
- Shrek: No. You were right. I wasn't there for you. And not just at the dragon's keep, but everyday since.
- Fiona: Well, you're here now.
- Shrek/Fiona: I didn't know we could do that.
- Butterpants: Do the roar!
- Shrek: Uh, roar.
- Butterpants: I don't like it.
- [Shrek notices Donkey on top of the hanging chandelier ball] Donkey?
- Donkey: And Puss...
- [Puss descends down the chandelier ball's rope] ...in Boots!
- [Last lines]
- Shrek: You know, I always thought I rescued you from the Dragon's Keep.
- Fiona: You did.
- Shrek: No. It was you that rescued me.
- The Final Chapter
- Bake no prisoners (Gingy tagline)
- It ain't ogre... til it's ogre
- The fairy tale is ogre (Fiona tagline)
- Waffles in the face of danger (Donkey tagline)
- Feed me! If you dare! (Puss tagline)
- Where my witches at? (Rumpelstiltskin tagline)
- What the Shrek just happened? (Shrek tagline)
- Mike Myers as Shrek
- Eddie Murphy as Donkey
- Cameron Diaz as Princess Fiona
- Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots
- Walt Dohrn as Rumpelstiltskin, Priest and a Krekraw Ogre
- Conrad Vernon as Gingy
- Aron Warner as Big Bad Wolf
- Christopher Knights as 3 Blind Mice
- Cody Cameron as Pinocchio and the 3 Little Pigs
- Julie Andrews as Queen Lillian
- Jon Hamm as Brogan the Ogre
- Craig Robinson as Cookie the Ogre
- Jane Lynch as Gretched the Ogre
- John Cleese as King Harold
- Chris Miller as Magic Mirror and Mr. Geppetto
- Kristen Schaal as Pumpkin and Palace Witches
- Mary Kay Place as Guard Witch
- Meredith Vieira as Broomsy Witch
- Kathy Griffin as Taran
- Lake Bell as Patrol Witch, Wagon Witch #2
- Jeremy Steig as Pied Piper
- Larry King as Doris the Ugly Stepsister
- Regis Philbin as Mabel the Ugly Stepsister
- Ryan Seacrest as Butterpants' father
- Mike Mitchell as Butterpants
- Justin Timberlake as Arthur Pendragon (deleted scene)