colloid hydrogel consisting of fine granular material, clay, and water
- The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand.
- Human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability; it comes through the tireless efforts of men willing to be co-workers with God, and without this hard work, time itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation. We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right. Now is the time to make real the promise of democracy and transform our pending national elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood. Now is the time to lift our national policy from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of human dignity.
- This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilising drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all of God's children. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.
- Making the best of things is … a damn poor way of dealing with them.... My whole life has been a series of escapes from that quicksand.
- Rose Wilder Lane, letters to Guy Moyston, (25 August 1924 and 11 Jul 1925).
- With me, the present is forever, and forever is always shifting, flowing, melting. This second is life. And when it is gone it is dead. But you can't start over with each new second. You have to judge by what is dead. It's like quicksand…hopeless from the start.
- Henry "Mutt" Williams-Jones III: What is it, quicksand?
Marion Ravenwood: I'm calm.
Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones, Jr.: No, it's a drysand pit.
Marion: I'm sinking, but I'm calm.
"Indiana": Quicksand is a mix of sand, mud and water and depending on the viscosity it's not as dangerous as people sometimes think.
Marion: For Pete's sake, Jones, we're not in school!
"Indiana": Don't worry. There's nothing to worry about unless there's a… [suddenly there is a void collapse] …a void collapse.
- Sergeant Calhoun: What is this? [sees sign] Nesquik-sand!?
Fix-It Felix, Jr: Quicksand? Oh, I'll hop out and grab you one of those vines. [tries unsuccessfully to hop] I can't hop. I'm hopless. This is hopeless! We're gonna drown here!
Sergeant Calhoun: Stop thrashing. Stop—stop, you're making us sink faster. [Felix continues thrashing] Get ahold of yourself! [hits Felix]
- Wreck-It Ralph (2012).
- I have died a thousand days
Just to feel this quicksand
And every movement is embraced
By this sweet frustration
- Audiovent, "Sweet Frustration," Dirty Sexy Knights in Paris (2002).
- Our mother's philosophy
It feels like quicksand
And if she sinks
I'm going down with her
- Björk, "Quicksand," Vulnicura (2015).
- Should I kiss the viper's fang
Or herald loud the death of Man
I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
And I ain't got the power anymore
- David Bowie, "Quicksand," Hunky Dory (1971).
- Your father's gone a-hunting
In the quicksand and the clay
And a woman cannot follow him
Although she knows the way
- Slow, sinking feeling
Kills the mood you're conveying
And it pulls me far down below
- 'Cause the world waits around
But I keep slipping and losing ground
- Stop you're talking down
I lack the strength to sit or stand
I lost my self confidence in the quicksand
In the quicksand
In the quicksand
In the quicksand
- Finger Eleven, "Quicksand," Tip (1997).
- Our love is quicksand
So easy to drown
They steal the gravity, yeah
From moving ground
- Hole, "Dying," Celebrity Skin (1998).
- As If I ever had a choice
All in the hands of the energy
Once again feel the quicksand swallow me
Tonight, I won't struggle
- In Flames, "Touch Of Red," Soundtrack to Your Escape (2004).
- Some people fall in love and touch the sky
Some people fall in love and find quicksand
- Incubus, "Quicksand," Light Grenades (2006).
- Nothing but a castle built on top of a swamp of quicksand
- Blyss (later known as Lifehouse), "Mudpie," Diff's Lucky Day (1999).
- I'm running in quicksand
Something's haunting me
The guilty past I've buried
My mind won't let me sleep
- Figure eighting in quicksand
- R.E.M., "The Ascent of Man," Around the Sun (2004).
- That someone is you
That someone is you
That someone has pulled me up and out of cartoon quicksand
Pulled me up and out of me
- R.E.M., "That Someone Is You," Collapse into Now (2011).
- Feet first into the quicksand
Every day we are surrendering
Never straying from the game plan
I keep hoping you will take my hand and stand up
- Rise Against, "A Beautiful Indifference," The Black Market (2014).
- Quicksand's got no sense of humour
I'm still laughing like hell
- Shinedown, "Sound of Madness," The Sound of Madness (2008).
- You're nothing but a history
A second here and then you're gone
Quicksand, quicksand all around
Turn the corner just beyond
- Sonic Youth, "JC," Dirty (1992).
- Time's like quicksand
Soon again, I'm standing naked in Wonderland
- The Cult, "Wonderland," Ceremony (1991).
- Deviate all by means in name
'Cause we all crawl in quicksand the same
- The Mars Volta, "Halo of Nembutals," Octahedron (2009).
- The quicksand of time
You know it makes me want to cry
- The Moody Blues, "Isn't Life Strange," Seventh Sojourn (1972)
- These hands disappear as I wave farewell
This gentle quicksand turns into hard times
- They Might Be Giants, "Hate The Villanelle"