book of the Bible
(Redirected from Psalms of David)
The Book of Psalms, Tehillim in Hebrew (תְּהִלִּים or תהילים meaning "Praises"), commonly referred to simply as Psalms or "the Psalms", is the first book of the Ketuvim ("Writings"), the third section of the Hebrew Bible.
- 1 · 3 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30 · 32 · 33 · 37 · 38 · 42 · 46 · 51 · 53 · 69 · 71 · 83 · 91 · 96 · 100 · 121 · 130 · 137 · 139 · 144 · 145 · See also · External links
- Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away. Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
- 1:1-6, King James Version
- Happy is the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stood in the way of sinners, nor sat in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD;
and in His law doth he meditate day and night.
And he will certainly become like a tree planted by streams of water,
That gives its own fruit in its season
And the foliage of which does not wither,
And everything he does will succeed. The wicked are not like that,
But are like the chaff that the wind drives away.
That is why the wicked ones will not stand up in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the assembly of righteous ones. For Jehovah is taking knowledge of the way of righteous ones,
But the very way of wicked ones will perish.
- LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.
Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
- 3:1-4, King James Version
- I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
- 4:8, King James Version
- For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness;
No one bad may remain with you.
- 5:4, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulcher; they flatter with their tongue.
Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.
- 5:9-10, King James Version
- O LORD my God, if I have done this and there is guilt on my hands--
if I have done evil to him who is at peace with me or without cause have robbed my foe--
then let my enemy pursue and overtake me; let him trample my life to the ground and make me sleep in the dust. "Selah"
- 7:3-5, New International Version
- Arise, O LORD, in your anger; rise up against the rage of my enemies. Awake, my God; decree justice.
- 7:6, New International Version
- The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me.
- 7:8, King James Version
- Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood.
He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made.
- 7:14-15, King James Version
- O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
- 8:1-8, King James Version
- O Jehovah our Lord, how majestic your name is throughout the earth!
- 8:9, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- When mine enemies are turned back, they shall fall and perish at thy presence.
For thou hast maintained my right and my cause; thou satest in the throne judging right.
Thou hast rebuked the heathen, thou hast destroyed the wicked, thou hast put out their name for ever and ever.
O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end: and thou hast destroyed cities; their memorial is perished with them.
- 9:3-6, King James Version
- Have mercy upon me, O LORD; consider my trouble which I suffer of them that hate me, thou that liftest me up from the gates of death.
- 9:13, King James Version
- In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. His ways are always prosperous; he is haughty and your laws are far from him; he sneers at all his enemies. He says to himself, "Nothing will shake me; I'll always be happy and never have trouble." His mouth is full of curses and lies and threats; trouble and evil are under his tongue. He lies in wait near the villages; from ambush he murders the innocent, watching in secret for his victims. He lies in wait like a lion in cover; he lies in wait to catch the helpless; he catches the helpless and drags them off in his net. His victims are crushed, they collapse; they fall under his strength. He says to himself, "God has forgotten; he covers his face and never sees." Arise, LORD! Lift up your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless. Why does the wicked man revile God? Why does he say to himself, "He won't call me to account"? But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand. The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless. Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out. The LORD is King for ever and ever; the nations will perish from his land. You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more.
- 10:4-18, New International Version
- Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one;
He hates anyone who loves violence.
- Psalms 11:5, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.
- 13:1-6, King James Version
- Long enough, God - you've ignored me long enough. I've looked at the back of your head
Long enough I've carried this ton of trouble, lived with a stomach full of pain. Long enough my arrogant enemies have looked down their noses at me.
Take a good look at me, God, my God; I want to look life in the eye,
So no enemy can get the best of me or laugh when I fall on my face.
I've thrown myself headlong into your arms - I'm celebrating your rescue.
I'm singing at the top of my lungs, I'm so full of answered prayers.
- 13:1-6, The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language
- The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.
- 14:1-4, King James Version
- He rejects anyone who is contemptible,
But he honors those fearing Jehovah.
He does not go back on his promise, even when it is bad for him.
He does not lend his money on interest,
And he does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things will never be shaken.
- 15:4-5, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust. O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;; But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.
- 16:1-3, King James Version
- Their sorrows will be increased who go after another god: I will not take drink offerings from their hands, or take their names on my lips.
- 16:4, Bible in Basic English
- The wise counsel God gives when I'm awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart. Day and night I'll stick with God; I've got a good thing going and I'm not letting go.
- 16:7-8, The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language
- I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
- 16:8-11, King James Version
- Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips.
- 17:1, King James Version
- I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.
- 17:6-7, King James Version
- The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.
- 18:20, King James Version
- I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them: neither did I turn again till they were consumed. I have wounded them that they were not able to rise: they are fallen under my feet. For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle: thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me. Thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies; that I might destroy them that hate me. They cried, but there was none to save them: even unto the LORD, but he answered them not. Then did I beat them small as the dust before the wind: I did cast them out as the dirt in the streets.
- 18:37-42, King James Version
- The heavens are declaring the glory of God; The skies above proclaim the work of his hands.
- 19:1, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- The law of Jehovah is perfect, restoring the soul: The testimony of Jehovah is sure, making wise the simple. The precepts of Jehovah are right, rejoicing the heart: The commandment of Jehovah is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of Jehovah is clean, enduring for ever: The ordinances of Jehovah are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the droppings of the honeycomb.
- 19:7-10, American Standard Version
- Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
- 19:14, King James Version
- For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.
- 22:24, King James Version
- The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
- 23:1-6, King James Version
- Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
- 24:3-4, King James Version
- Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
- 27:12, King James Version
- Do not drag me away with the wicked, with those who do evil, who speak cordially with their neighbors but harbor malice in their hearts.
- 28:3, New International Version
- The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.
- 29:11, King James Version
- O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit. Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
- 30:3-5, King James Version
- I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.
- 32:8, King James Version
- Rejoice in Jehovah and be joyful, you righteous ones;
Shout joyfully, all you who are upright in heart.
- 32:11, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- He loveth righteousness and justice: The earth is full of the lovingkindness of Jehovah.
- 33:5, American Standard Version
- Commit your way to Jehovah;
Rely on him, and he will act in your behalf.
He will make your righteousness shine like daybreak,
And your justice like the midday sun.
- 37:5-6, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more;
You will look at where they were,
And they will not be there.
But the meek will possess the earth,
And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
- 37:10-11, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- For my errors loom over my head;
Like a heavy burden, they are too much for me to bear.
My wounds stink and fester
Because of my foolishness.
I am distressed and extremely downcast;
I walk around sad all day long.
There is a burning within me;
My whole body is sick.
I have grown numb and become completely crushed;
My anguished heart makes me groan aloud.
- 38:4-8, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- Just like a deer that craves streams of water, my whole being craves you, God. My whole being thirsts for God, for the living God. When will I come and see God's face?
- 42:1-2, Common English Bible
- My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"
- 42:3, New International Version
- God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
- 46:1-3, King James Version
- Come, behold the works of Jehovah, What desolations he hath made in the earth. He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; He breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; He burneth the chariots in the fire. Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
- 46:8-10, American Standard Version
- Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
- 51:1-3, King James Version
- The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and their ways are vile; there is no one who does good. God looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. Everyone has turned away, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one. Will the evildoers never learn-- those who devour my people as men eat bread and who do not call on God?
- 53:1-4, New International Version
- I am on fire with passion for your house; and the hard things which are said about you have come on me.
- 69:9, Bible in Basic English
- For the zeal of thy house hath eaten me up: and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.
- 69:9, Douay Rheims Bible
- In thee, O Jehovah, do I take refuge: Let me never be put to shame.
- American Standard Version
- O God, do not be silent;
Do not keep quiet* or still, O Divine One.
For look! your enemies are in an uproar;
Those who hate you act arrogantly.With cunning they secretly plot against your people;
They conspire against your treasured ones.
They say: “Come, let us annihilate them as a nation,
So that the name of Israel may be remembered no more.”
- 83:1-4, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
- 83:18, King James Version
- God said: “Because he has affection for me,* I will rescue him.
I will protect him because he knows* my name.
He will call on me, and I will answer him.
I will be with him in distress.
I will rescue him and glorify him.
I will satisfy him with long life,
And I will cause him to see my acts of salvation.
- 91:14-16, New World Translation
- O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth.
Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the heathen, his wonders among all people.
For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
Honour and majesty are before him: strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
Give unto the LORD, O ye kindreds of the people, give unto the LORD glory and strength.
Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come into his courts.
O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.
Say among the heathen that the LORD reigneth: the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved: he shall judge the people righteously.
Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof.
Let the field be joyful, and all that is therein: then shall all the trees of the wood rejoice
Before the LORD: for he cometh, for he cometh to judge the earth: he shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with his truth.
- 96:1-13, King James Version
- For Jehovah is good;
His loyal love endures forever,
And his faithfulness through all generations.
- 100:5, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- Jehovah will be at your right hand;
He will crush kings on the day of his anger.
- 110:5, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- 119:134 Redeem me from the oppression of men, that I may obey your precepts.
- 119:163 I hate and detest falsehood, but I love your law.
- 119:166 I wait for your salvation, O Lord, and I follow your commands.
- 119:175 Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me.
- I shall raise my eyes to the mountains.
From where will my help come?
My help is from Jehovah,
The Maker of heaven and earth.
- 121:1-2, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
- 130:1-3, King James Version
- Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption. And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
- 130:7-8, King James Version
- By the rivers of Babylon, There we sat down, yea, we wept, When we remembered Zion.
Upon the willows in the midst thereof We hanged up our harps.
For there they that led us captive required of us songs, And they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.
How shall we sing the LORD'S song in a strange land?
If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, Let my right hand forget her skill.
Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth, If I remember thee not; If I prefer not Jerusalem Above my chief joy.
- 137:1-6, American Standard Version
- How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
- 139:17-18, King James Version
- Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men. For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain. Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies. Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
- 139:19-24, King James Version
- Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.
LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!
Man is like to vanity: his days are as a shadow that passeth away.
Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down: touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.
Cast forth lightning, and scatter them: shoot out thine arrows, and destroy them.
- 144:1-6, King James Version
- Jehovah guards all those who love him,
But all the wicked he will annihilate.
- 145:20, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
|Genesis • Exodus • Leviticus • Numbers • Deuteronomy • Joshua • Judges • Ruth • 1 Samuel • 2 Samuel • 1 Kings • 2 Kings • 1 Chronicles • 2 Chronicles • Ezra • Nehemiah • Esther • Job • Psalms • Proverbs • Ecclesiastes • Song of Solomon • Isaiah • Jeremiah • Lamentations • Ezekiel • Daniel • Hosea • Joel • Amos • Obadiah • Jonah • Micah • Nahum • Habakkuk • Zephaniah • Haggai • Zechariah • Malachi|
|Esdras • Tobit • Judith • Additions to Esther • Wisdom of Solomon • Susanna • Baruch • Additions to Daniel • Prayer of Manassheh • 1 Maccabees • 2 Maccabees|
|Matthew • Mark • Luke • John • Acts • Romans • 1 Corinthians • 2 Corinthians • Galatians • Ephesians • Philippians • Colossians • 1 Thessalonians • 2 Thessalonians • 1 Timothy • 2 Timothy • Titus • Philemon • Hebrews • James • 1 Peter • 2 Peter • 1 John • 2 John • 3 John • Jude • Revelation|