Mario (franchise)(Redirected from Hotel Mario)
The Mario franchise is a video game franchise created by Japanese game designer Shigeru Miyamoto and published by Nintendo. The franchise originated with the title character's debut in the 1981 arcade game Donkey Kong. Over 200 games are included in the franchise, and together they comprise the best-selling video game franchise of all time.
Super Mario seriesEdit
- Thank you, Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!
- Repetitive line spoken by every one of the seven Mushroom Retainers
- Peace is paved with kingdom saved/Hurrah to Mario, our only hero/This ends your trip of a long friendship.
- Poem seen after saving Princess Toadstool
- Oh, it's terrible! The King has been transformed! Please find the Magic Wand so we can change him back.
- Line spoken by the Toads that appear next to kings who have been transformed
- Hello! You have found my shop of rare and wonderful things!
- Line spoken by Toads at houses where rare items are contained
- Arigatou! Yatto Kinoko Sekai ni heiwa ga modori mashita. Oshimaii!
- Welcome to "Subcon," the land of dreams. We have been cursed by Wart and we are completely under his evil spell. We have been awaiting your arrival. Please defeat Wart and return Subcon to its natural state. The curse Wart has put on you in the real world will not have any effect upon you here. Remember, Wart hates vegetables. Please help us!
- Quotation spoken to Mario by a faint voice in the manual
- Oh, Daisy!
- Mario's quote after saving Princess Daisy
- Welcome! This is Dinosaur Land. In this strange land we find that Princess Toadstool is missing again! Looks like Bowser is at it again!
- Narrative from the introduction
- Hooray! Thank you so much for rescuing me. My name is Yoshi. On my way to rescue my friends, Bowser trapped me in that egg.
- Yoshi, when introducing himself to the player
- With a little luck (and help from a magic cape), our hearty crew can defeat the seven worlds of Bowser's Krazy Koopa Kritters. Many locations are well-hidden so explore everywhere and try everything. Not all locations have to be explored to rescue the dinosaurs and save Princess Toadstool, but there are many "starry" treasures to be found in far-reaching places. You'll need to search all areas to find out what kinds of treasure are there... in Super Mario World.
- From the English-language manual
- Mario's/Luigi's adventure is over. Mario,/Luigi, the Princess, Yoshi, and his friends are going to take a vacation.
- The game's ending message
- Obey Wario... Destroy Mario!
- Wario, in the game's North American commercial
- While I was away crusading against the mystery alien Tatanga in Sarasaland, an evil creep took over my castle and put the people of Mario Land under his control with a magic spell. This intruder goes by the name of Wario. He has been jealous of my popularity ever since we were boys, and has tried to steal my castle many times. It seems he has succeeded this time. Wario has scattered the six golden coins from my castle all over Mario Land. These golden coins are guarded by those under Wario's spell. Without these coins, we can't get into the castle to deal with Wario. We must collect the six coins, attack Wario in the castle, and save everybody!
- Mario's explanation of the game's story in the English-language manual
- It's-a me, Mario!
- Mario's opening line
- So long-a, Bowser!
- What Mario can be heard saying when throwing Bowser out of bounds in full throttle
- Dear Mario, please come to the castle. I've baked a cake for you. Yours truly, Princess Toadstool.
- Princess Toadstool; the letter is signed "Peach" and she even says this signature when narrating the letter, leading the name "Peach" for the character to become known outside of Japan.
- Thank you so much for-a playing my game!
- Mario's line after the credits
- I am most concerned with the well-being of the princess in this dreadful heat. Master Mario, if you would, cross over to that shore and find some assistance.
- Toadsworth, as the player begins to take control of Mario for the first time
- Leave my mama alone, you bad man! I won't let you take Mama Peach away! Yeah, Papa told me all about it. He told me my mama got kidnapped by a bad man named Mario... so I came to rescue her! Papa told me everything. He said, [imitating Bowser's voice] "Mario's a bully; he never fights fair!'" He also said, "Jr., you gotta try to outsmart Mario." So I tried to get Mario sent to prison, but they didn't lock him up, and now he came to steal Mama Peach again! You... you pest! Stop following us!
- Bowser Jr., explaining his intentions after being properly introduced to the story
- The vacation starts now!
- FLUDD in the ending
- Wahahaha! You made it! But I won't even need my dad's help to take care of you!
- Bowser Jr., upon his first confrontation with Mario
- May the stars shine down on you.
- Welcome, welcome new galaxy!
- Mario's line heard at the end of the game
- Hear me out now… Your special someone got kidnapped and now you gotta save her, am I right?
- Lubba, questioning Mario's intentions for his adventure
- Hey, Bro! I'm all over the place these days, exploring the universe!
- Luigi, upon uniting with Mario
- Nurse Toadstool: Dr. Mario, something terrible has happened!
Dr. Mario: What's wrong, Nurse Toadstool?
Nurse Toadstool: One of the experiments has gone out of control. The viruses are spreading quickly!
Dr. Mario: Oh no! We've got to do something! I have just developed a new vitamin that should be able to take care of it. I sure hope this stuff works!
- From the English-language manual
- Try to golf well, as a lower score may give you a higher player rank. That will increase the prize you can receive when you play in a tournament.
- Explanation from the cutscene that appears before a course is played
Mario Kart seriesEdit
- Hi everybody! Thanks for dropping to by the Super Mario Kart race track. My name is Lakitu; I run this track. If you need my help, I'll be around.
- Lakitu introducing himself in the game's English-language manual
- If you fall into the water, you can still move slowly. But never fear! I will rescue you with my trusty fishing pole. Even if you fall off the edge of a "Ghost Valley" track or into the lava on one of the "Bowser Castle" tracks, I'll quickly reel you in to safety.
- One of Lakitu's "Master Tips" in the game's manual
- Excellent driving! You are now a Super Mario Kart expert.
- Text displayed upon winning the Gold Trophy in the 100cc division; this also appears when you win in the 150cc division
- Welcome to Mario Kart!
- Mario opens the game with this line.
- I'm-a Luigi, number one!
- Luigi's victory quote
- I'm-a Wario! I'm-a gonna win!
- Wario's victory quote
- HI I'M DAISY!
- One of Daisy's recorded quotes
- Oh, yeah! Who's number one now? Luigi!
- Luigi's victory quote
- I lost! To a buncha' losers!
- Quote that Wario says upon losing a race
- Mario Kart? Could've been Luigi!
- Luigi, in the alternative title screen
- Why, everybody's cheating! Next time I cheat, too!
- What kind of intense battle will unfold in this contrail peaceful kingdom?
- Announcer, about Peach's castle when the player chooses to race there.
- You won't find adobe here in Nairobi, but they do have some spectacular hotels.
- A police officer patrolling the streets of Nairobi, Kenya in Mario is Missing!
- Ah, Luigi, listen! I overheard Bowser telling the Koopa Kids to watch out for Fire Flowers. I think you need to use one to get rid of the guard!
- One of Mario's many "Videophone" messages in the PC version of Mario is Missing!
- Hey! Are you ready to Mario-cise? Okey-dokey. You do just like Mario, OK? One...Very good! Two...And three! Wheeeeee! ... Oh. Sorry. That's hard for you, but easy for me. You know why? ...I ain't got no body! Get it? No body? Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee!
- One of many quotes said by the floating disembodied head of Mario in the Mario Teaches Typing games
Wario Land seriesEdit
- Rumor has it that the pirates of Kitchen Island have stolen the giant golden statue of Princess Toadstool. Mario is looking for it, but if I find it first, I could cash it in for a princess's ransom. With that cash and the pirates' other treasures and coins, I could buy a palace that is way bigger than Mario's pathetic excuse for a castle. Gah-ha-ha-haaah! What am I waiting for?
- Wario in the game's English-language manual
- You're getting veeerry greedy. You are me, Wario! You're very handsome. You have amazing powers. Plunder vintage pirates' treasure, bag a bazillion coins, buy me a castle bigger than Mario's! Repeat after me, I'm the bad guy in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, were being bad is good, and greed is good! [laughs diabolically] Come and get it on Game Boy, greedy.
- Wario in the game's North American commercial
- I, Wario, have an interesting story to tell. One day during my vacation in the Awazon River Basin, I landed my trusty seaplane, Bulldog, and decided to relax in the shadow of the beautiful Aldegara Waterfall. While basking in the sun, I spied some strange creatures with masks entering the waterfall. This piqued my interest! I hurried over and followed them into the waterfall. Behind the falls there was a large cave, and in the back of the cave ... there was a vault filled with a glorious mountain of treasure!!
- Wario explaining the game's story in the English-language manual
- Wait till they get a load of me! Nyehh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haah!
- Wario in the game's North American commercial
- Aaargh! I can't believe that Captain Syrup and the Black Sugar Gang have stolen my treasure! I am one angry Wario! I'm going to get my treasures back if it's the last thing I do! Wario Land 2 is much better than any of my previous games. Why, you ask? Because in this game, I am immortal! There is no Game Over! With multiple endings, you can play my game many times. Isn't that great?!
- Wario in the game's English-language manual
- Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-haah! Finally, I am myself again! Now I can rule this world and the outer one as well! I need you no longer, Wario. I shall crush you like a bug!!
- A mysterious figure later christened "Rudy the Clown," upon confronting Wario
- I ain’t normal! And I don’t mean that I’m stupid! I can do all kinds of stuff that normal humans can’t, you know what I mean? How about that? Amazing, huh?
- Wario informing players of his skills in the game's English-language manual
- I don’t always speak so crudely, you know. I’m just worried about you because you play so badly!! Why do I care? Because I’m the one that feels it when you screw up, that’s why!!! So just try to get better at this game, OK?! I’m begging you!
- Another quote from the game's manual, where Wario expresses concern that the player will lead him into some danger
- Haven’t you kids ever done something that made you look stupid? Oh, is that right? Well, fine then! But even the powerful Wario gets into some embarrassing situations in this game! I eat too much and get all chubby, a bee stings my face and makes it swell like a balloon, my body catches fire, and all kinds of other bad things happen to me! But I’m a tough guy, so I keep coming back for more! You wimps could learn something from me!
- In the manual, Wario gives this speech informing readers of the kinds of tough times he experiences in-game.
- Leave if you want to live: this is my territory!
- I'm still in a good mood. If you back off now, I won't break you!
- Another taunt of Wario's, also from the NES version
- We're not through, Toad - I'll pummel you yet!
- The last taunt that Wario gives before the NES version's ending
- Go forth and find the other baby!! Don't let his parents get him back! Ever!!
- Kamek to his toadies, in the English-language manual
- This paradise is Yoshi's Island, where all the Yoshis live. They are all in an uproar over the baby that fell from the sky. ... Wait! The baby seems to know where he wants to go... The bond between the twins informs each of them where the other one is. The Yoshis decide to carry the baby to his destination via a relay system. Now begins a new adventure for the Yoshis and Baby Mario.
- Introductory "narrative" in the cutscene viewed after selecting a new file
- Yoshi, dear, that baby is going to cause disaster to befall the Koopas. So give him here before you accidentally get hurt!
- One of the many taunts that Kamek gives to Yoshi in the game's boss fights
- Money makes the world go 'round. Money is all that matters! Oh! Hey, you! You got lots of money or what? I'm the spirit who loves money more than anything!
- Spirit of Greed
- I did not wish for the whole island to be entrapped like this. But no one can stop Hongo one he makes up his mind. As you can see, I was fired for opening up my big mouth.
- Spirit Who Loves Surprises
- You can't just sit around and space out! You're in the way! Huh? You were running? You're slower than molasses! You see, I am the spirit who loves all things swift! I can't stand people who loaf around like slackers! Prove to me you can run fast as the wind... ...by getting six or more Happiness Medals. Then I'll let you go!
- Spirit of Speed
- Mirror, mirror on the wall, I've got a friend who's the ghastliest of them all! Are you frightened yet, little Yoshi?
- Kamek, upon summoning the boss character "Hector the Reflector"
- Look at my lovely flower! It's feeding time, and you're the main course, Yoshi. If I were you, I'd look for something else to feed it!
- Kamek, upon summoning "Big Bungee Piranha"
- You made it?! Huge mistake. Say hello to Big Beanie and his unstoppable vines!
- See Fred there? Watch me bulk up his tough armour! Basically that means IT’S ALL OVER!
- Kamek, when summoning the boss character "Furious Fred de Fillet".
- Mario, you are my knight in shining armor!
- Princess Toadstool, after being rescued by Mario
- I serve... a higher authority. That Star Piece belongs to everyone. You can't keep it.
- An unknown character who later introduces himself as "Geno," to Bowyer of the Smithy Gang
- I guess I underestimated you. You pack quite a punch! But don't let it get to your head, because I let you HAVE that round. Let's have a rematch.
- Jinx, the minor boss who is portrayed as even more powerful than the main boss, Smithy
- Lots of things can happen when you collect more stars! ... So keep practicing, and keep playing those games!
- Mario in the "Present Room" in Game & Watch Gallery 4
(Mario and Luigi approach a door where Bowser is waiting)
Mario: Nice of the Princess to invite us over for a picnic, eh, Luigi?
Luigi: I hope she made lotsa spaghettiǃ
Mario: Luigi! Look! (grabs a note on the door) It's from Bowser! (reading) "Dear pesky plumbers, The Koopalings and I have taken over the Mushroom Kingdom. The Princess is now a permanent guest at one of my 7 Koopa hotels. I dare you to find her if you can." We gotta find the Princess!
Luigi: (to player) And you gotta help us!
Mario: (to player) If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.
- Approaching fourth hotel:
Mario: Get ready to catch her!
Luigi: She's not coming down!
Mario: (points to sky) She's up there!
Mario: It's hard to see through those clouds! (turns to player) I hope we can get rid of them! Get the hint?
- Approaching sixth hotel:
Mario: Be careful! When you pinch Wendy's pennies, they pinch back!
- Ah-ha! There's the problem: Too many toasters! You know what they say: "All toasters toast toast!"
- Mario in one of the cutscenes. An Internet meme has been made of the cutscene from which this quotation comes.
Mario Golf seriesEdit
- Mario Golf!? Should have been called Wario Golf. Eh... still, are you gonna love it!
- Wario in the game's introduction
- Okey-dokey, look out... FORE!
- One of Luigi's voice samples
- Hurry up already!
- One of Mario's voice samples
- I've-a been on fire lately, but I hope you'll challenge me!
- Mario's bio quote
- Hey! I adore golf! It seems you do too. Want to play a round of 18?
- Peach's bio quote
- Challenge me? You? I'm the best golfer in the world. I'm not scared!
- Wario's bio quote
Mario Tennis seriesEdit
- Hey! Let's all play!
- Mario in the introduction
- Come back here! What's the matter with you? Oh, my trophy!
- Luigi, to a Lakitu that seizes his trophy after he wins a tournament
- Yay! I'm-a number one! Look, I'm-a dance! I'm-a sing! I'm-a so happy!
- Waluigi, after winning a tournament
- Raucous rallies... Awesome opponents... And the greatest player ever!
- I have never seen teamwork as good as yours! You're amazing!
- Princess Daisy
- Let the match between Mario and [player's character] begin.
- Princess Peach, when officiating the final match between Mario and the player, at her castle
- Don't expect mouth-to-mouth.
- Waluigi, in one of the blooper reels
- I love you so much... I love you.
- Mario, to Princess Peach in her victory scene
- Oh no! Somebody cheated. I CAN'T LOSE!!!
Mario Party seriesEdit
- Wario! I gotta win!
- Wario's quote after winning a board game
- Doh, I missed!
- Wario's quote after losing a minigame
- Augh! I don't believe this! I've never lost - not even to my dad!
- Princess Daisy, after losing her Duel Match in Story Mode
- My name is Waluigi! If you want the Mischief Star back, you must name me the Superstar!
- Waluigi, upon introducing himself to the player and the Mario Party series
- Please make me the greatest Superstar in the universe!
- Quote shared by each of the six playable characters in Story Mode after the Millennium Star is defeated
- Hey, I've-a got it! The Stars will help us end their fight! Let's throw a Mario Party to fill the Star Bank!
- Mario, announcing the decision to end Brighton and Twila's argument on behalf of all the playable characters in the pre-title prologue
- Hey, stinky!
- Taunt that Mario gives when a character lower-ranked than he wins a Star
- Training is like a road on the horizon with no beginning and no end. Keep training hard, young one.
- Koopa Master
- Oh, I say! Hello there! It's me, Toadsworth! Yes, yes, let me tell you about what happened recently. You see, Mario and his friends are always busy fighting evil and saving the world and so forth, so I offered him a chance to come on a cruise around the world! Oh ho! Splendid! But in doing so, I apparently made that rogue Bowser somewhat angry.
- Toadsworth, explaining the game's story in the manual
- Yahoo! I'm the best!
- Bowser Jr.'s quote for winning a minigame in first place
Paper Mario seriesEdit
- Oh, Mario! You came to the party to see me! You’re so sweet! Thank you!
- Princess Peach, upon being seen by Mario
- Great, just great. You're on an exciting adventure with Mario. Talk about unfair. See, someone has to look after this house, so I can't leave. Oh well. Take care of Mario, OK?
- Luigi, once Mario's active partner introduces him/herself to Luigi
- Another letter, duly delivered. A postman's work is never done.
- Postman Parakarry, one of Mario's companions
- Rawk out, Great Gonzales!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAWK! Listen to me, Gonzales! Anybody who's beat me is not allowed to lose!!!
- "Rawk Hawk," a golden hawk-like character who is the champion of a fighting arena called the "Glitz Pit"
- When Rawk Hawk says "Gonzales," he is addressing Mario, whose fighting name in the Glitz Pit is "The Great Gonzales, Merciless Executioner."
- Are all of you ready? And you there! In front of the TV! You listen up, too!
- Professor Frankly, when opening one of his speeches
- I, Grodus, will build a new world! A perfect, ideal world... Yes. A world made by me, about me, and for me!
- Sir Grodus, the main antagonist
- Bleh heh heh heh heh heh... The man known as Blumiere died long ago. Now there is only Bleck! The Dark Prognosticus's choice to fulfill the prophecy. Nothing more!
- Count Bleck, the main antagonist
- Master of dimensions... Pleaser of crowds... I am Dimentio!
- Dimentio, the true final boss
- The Green Thunder strikes like lightning!
- Luigi, in his brainwashed alter ego "Mr. L."
- "The Green Thunder" is Luigi's nickname in this alternate identity.
- As [the Royal Stickers'] caretaker, it's my duty to find all of them, or else I can't return to the Sticker Star!
- Kersti, a sticker fairy who is the companion to Mario in the game
- If that's the way it is, then fine, I'll outshine you myself!
- Megasparkle Goomba, the first boss
- I was disappearing...From ice to fog...Returning to the sky...I just wanted a body that wouldn't melt...
- Mizzter Blizzard, the fourth boss
- I am the Great Wart! Ha-ha-haaah!
- Wart, before the final battle
- Step right up, if you're ready to get toasted!
- All righty for a mushroom!
- One of Toad's voice samples; used when he executes a chain reaction
- I'm getting too old for this ghost-catching tomfoolery.
- Professor Elvin Gadd
- Wow! It's Luigi! You finally made it! Oh, joy! Thank goodness! ...Me? Well, Princess Peach asked me to come here to look for Mario. He left when he heard that you'd won a mansion, and he never returned! Then when I arrived here, the mansion was full of ghosts and I didn't see Mario anywhere, and I kind of freaked out a little, and I didn't know what to do! It's been awful! Please, please, please, you have to help me find Mario! If he doesn't get back, you have no idea how upset the princess will be! She'll flip!
- When the shy, timid Boos get together, their body and their attitude get BIG!
- Boolossus's in-game biography
- It's me, Wario! Yeah, yeah... Listen, [player's name], just get the high scores! I call the games in the Wario game collection anything goes games! You impress me, [player's name]... but not that much!
- So anyway, you should know that the fortune-hunter Wario has inspired many of my strange games! He's always one degree ahead of cool, and he's even let me tag along with him on some of his money-grubbing adventures!
- Hey! My name is 9-Volt! I'm the grade-schooler gone old school!
About the Mario franchiseEdit
Super Mario History 1985-2010Edit
(32-page history book bundled with Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition for the Wii)
- There was so much enthusiasm on this project because we were trying to create something that had never been done before.
- Koji Kondo, discussing the development of Super Mario Bros.
- We were helped by many people when developing this game. But even with a larger team, I was still the worst gamer of the bunch.
- Takashi Tezuka, reminiscing his experiences when developing Super Mario Bros. 3
- Uprooting and lifting things as you played gave the game a new feel.
- Shigeru Miyamoto, about Super Mario Bros. 2 (Super Mario USA)
- Who knows how Mario will look in the future. Maybe he'll wear metallic clothes!
- Shigeru Miyamoto, Mario Mania Player's Guide, 1991
- When we were designing [Mario Kart 64], we wanted it to feel like the player is controlling an RC car. If you play this game and get this feeling, then we will be happy because we accomplished our goal.
- I don't let Mario appear in just any kind of game. Mario could not appear in Zelda games. They are two distinct game worlds.
- Shigeru Miyamoto, Next Generation Volume 4 No. 46
- I respect Shigeru Miyamoto, so there will be a lot of mushrooms in [Metal Gear Solid 3]. But you cannot eat turtles.
- As soon as the [Super Mario Galaxy] project was over, we started making something that we might call version 1.5. We did things like moving or adding stars to levels that were already available... we realized that there were too many things to fit into a version 1.5. That made us realize we should start from scratch and make Super Mario Galaxy 2.
- Shigeru Miyamoto, during an "Iwata Asks" interview
- Super Mario Bros. is equivalent to the Big Bang of our gaming universe. If it were not for this blindingly spectacular creation, digital entertainment as we know it today would not exist.
- Hideo Kojima, Nintendo Power November 2010