António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres (born 30 April 1949) is a former Prime Minister of Portugal (from 1995 to 2002) and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (from June 2005 to December 2015), and the next United Nations Secretary General (elected in October 2016).
|This political figure article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- We can't deter people fleeing for their lives. They will come. The choice we have is how well we manage their arrival, and how humanely.
- "U.N. Refugee Chief: Europe’s Response to Mediterranean Crisis Is ‘Lagging Far Behind’", Time Magazine (23 April 2015)
- The dramatic problems of today's complex world can only inspire a humble approach.
- Quoted in "UN General Assembly elects Guterres as secretary-general", Chicago Tribune (13 October 2016)
- Climate change is the defining issue of our time – and we are at a defining moment. We face a direct existential threat.
- António Guterres, "Secretary-General's remarks on Climate Change", 10 September 2018.
- When climate change is running faster than we are, everything must be done to defeat climate change.
- Said in a visit to Nigeria in 2019. Recorded in an Instagram post on UN Environment
- There are ways to what is our major battle in the world. To defeat climate change - to save the planet.
- Said in a visit to Nigeria. Recorded in an Instagram post on UN Environment
Quotes about GuterresEdit
- Throughout his career, Mr. Guterres has proven himself to be an advocate for human rights and a champion for the most vulnerable. As UN High Commissioner for Refugees, he provided help and hope to millions of men, women and children who have been forced to flee from their homes. And he is a consensus-builder who can bring people together to advance common interests and address common challenges. I was heartened that Mr. Guterres indicated that gender equality will be a top priority when filling senior positions.
- We have every confidence that, as a former prime minister of Portugal and U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, Mr. Guterres has the character, vision and skills needed to lead the United Nations at this critical moment.
- Barack Obama, as quoted in "Obama pledges ‘full support’ for new U.N. secretary-general" by Dave Boyer, The Washington Times (13 October 2016)
- Encyclopedic article on António Guterres at Wikipedia