International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is an international humanitarian movement with approximately 97 million volunteers in nearly every country in the world. It was founded in 1863 in Geneva, Switzerland to protect human life and health, to ensure respect for all human beings, and to prevent and alleviate human suffering.
- It's very difficult to do our job, given the security, the lack of safety and the huge demands are increasing day by day, hour by hour. We will not be able to continue our operations (IANUDIBLE) in Gaza for the next few days given the short supply in fuel.
- All Red Cross and Red Crescent activities have one central purpose: to help without discrimination those who suffer and thus contribute to peace in the world.
- The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is guided by seven Fundamental Principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network, reaching 150 million people each year... Together, the IFRC acts before, during and after disasters and health emergencies to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people. It does so with impartiality as to nationality, race, gender, religious beliefs, class and political opinions. The IFRC is committed to ‘saving lives and changing minds’.
- National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies embody the work and principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement in more than 192 countries. National Societies act as auxiliaries to the public authorities of their own countries in the humanitarian field and provide a range of services including disaster relief, health and social programmes. During wartime, National Societies assist the affected civilian population and support the army medical services where appropriate.
- At this critical time, I am grateful to Sandra Bullock for once again demonstrating her leadership, compassion and belief in our global humanitarian mission. Sandra continues to enable our lifesaving work and is a model for personal generosity.
- Marsha Evans (American Red Cross President and CEO) quoted in: Bullock donates $1 million to tsunami relief AP/Today (3 January 2005)
- In keeping with the Third Geneva Conventions on the Treatment of Prisoners of War, the ICRC encourages detaining authorities to provide opportunities for physical exercise and for being outdoors. The ICRC therefore supported the coordination of a sporting event to involve prisoners of war population and related camp administrators.
- Charles Sabga, head of the mission of ICRC in Korea) quoted in Heroes from afar, Red Cross oversaw treatment of Korean War prisoners, Korea JoonAng Daily, (31 August 2020)
- Increasingly we are seeing in many countries the impacts [from Covid-19 crisis] on the livelihoods and the food situation...Many people are already faced with the choice of risking exposure to the novel coronavirus or going hungry... many people who are losing livelihoods, once the borders start opening, will feel compelled to move... We should not be surprised if there is a massive impact on migration in the coming months and years... The cost of supporting the migrants, during the transit and of course when they reach the country of destination, is much more than supporting people in their livelihoods, education, health needs in their own country... The virus crosses the border... it is pretty short-sighted to think that I vaccinate my people but leave everybody else without vaccination, and we will still be safe...
- Jagan Chapagain (IFRC Secretary General) quoted in: Global report: Red Cross warns of big post-Covid-19 migration..., Alison Roark, The Guardian (23 July 2020)
Statement on safe passage operations in Ukraine edit
- We understand that the safe passage operations from Mariupol and Volnovakha will not start today.
We remain in dialogue with the parties about the safe passage of civilians from different cities affected by the conflict. The scenes in Mariupol and in other cities today are heart-breaking. Any initiative from the parties that gives civilians a respite from the violence and allows them to voluntarily leave for safer areas is welcome.
As a neutral and impartial humanitarian intermediary, we stand ready to help facilitate the safe passage of civilians once the parties have reached an agreement and that its terms are strictly humanitarian for the ICRC to be involved.
- So-called humanitarian corridors or other measures aimed at providing respite to those affected by conflict must be well planned and implemented with the agreement of the parties to the conflict.
Regardless of whether humanitarian corridors are implemented in the coming days, parties must continue to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure under international humanitarian law both for those who choose to leave and those who remain.
Quotes about the International Red Cross and Red Crescent edit
- Miss Congenialty” star Sandra Bullock is in line for a new title: Miss Generosity. The bubbly brunette actress has given $1 million to the American Red Cross for its tsunami relief effort. It’s the second time Hollywood’s girl-next-door has opened her heart and pocketbook for disaster victims. She previously gave $1 million to the Red Cross following the 9/11 terrorist strikes...
- Sandra Bullocks Donates $1 Million, Marsah Kranes, New York Post, (4 January 2005)
- I know this in no way alleviates the enormous amounts of pain and loss experienced by those who have suffered from the tsunami, but I hope it can make a difference.
- Sandra Bullock quoted in Sandra Bullocks Donates $1 Million, Marsah Kranes, New York Post, (4 January 2005)
- Lowe's Inc. announced Tuesday that it will donate $1 million to support relief efforts after Hurricane Laura caused catastrophic flooding and destruction along the Gulf Coast. As of Tuesday, the retailer has already donated $500,000 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief to help provide emergency shelter and food relief supplies to residents affected by the hurricane, as well as California wildfires and the Iowa derecho. The donations will help the "American Red Cross and other nonprofits respond to critical needs in communities impacted by recent natural disasters, including funds to provide shelter and housing," Lowe's CEO Marvin Ellison said...
- Lowe's Pledges $1 Million To Support American Red Cross, Daniella Genovese, FOXBusiness (1 September 2020)
- As the International Red Cross marked the 75th anniversary of the atomic bombings in Japan, it issued a strong warning that “the risk of use of nuclear weapons has risen to levels not seen since the end of the Cold War.” ...defense policy experts have stated forewarnings, on both the moral grounds of potential omnicidal consequences, and of new weapons technology making nuclear war more likely. Daniel Ellsberg... sees governments “prepared to unleash a nuclear war which would end civilization as we know it and could kill over seven billion people.”
In our region... many thousands are in need of food assistance, and millions across the country are suffering great personal economic losses under the dual crises of the pandemic and, again, of climate-change related wildfires and storms. As the Congress budgets nearly ¾ trillion dollars for national defense, it should redirect at least a portion of this enormous sum to the current human needs and support the 2017 United Nations nuclear-weapons-ban treaty, which the work of the International Red Cross... initiated.
- Letters: Recognition for Cadet Nurses; Ban nuclear weapons, Frances Lamberts, Johnson City Press (20 September 2020)
- Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg said Wednesday the foundation set up in her name would donate 150,000 euros ($175,000) to charities working to support "people on the frontlines of the climate crisis in Africa." The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, the solar power-focused NGO Solar Sister, as well as advocacy group Oil Change International, would each receive 50,000 euros ($59,000) for their efforts in Africa.
- Greta Thunberg Foundation donates to Africa climate projects, AFP, Yahoo News (23 September 2020)
- The American Red Cross says it has an urgent need for volunteers to help in states impacted by wildfires and hurricanes. Volunteers could be needed for the next few months to help with recovery efforts. Volunteers can help fill a number of positions, including helping people who have been evacuated from their homes and placed in shelters. Red Cross workers help register the victims, give them food, and make sure they have what they need... The average volunteer assignment lasts about two weeks. The process takes about one month.
- Red Cross in urgent need of volunteers, Kristyn Allen, 2FirstAlert WBAY, (23 September 2020)
- The coronavirus crisis could spark huge waves of fresh migration once borders reopen, the head of the Red Cross has warned... Jagan Chapagain, said he was deeply concerned about the secondary effects of the pandemic, as border closures and Covid-19 restrictions have driven millions into poverty... Many people are already faced with the choice of risking exposure to the novel coronavirus or going hungry, Chapagain said, warning that the desperation being generated could have far-reaching consequences... Chapagain called for immediate support to relieve people’s desperation and warned that increased migration would result in numerous “tragedies along the way”, including deaths at sea, human trafficking and exploitation.
- Global report: Red Cross warns of big post-Covid-19 migration..., Alison Roark, The Guardian (23 July 2020)
See also edit
- Encyclopedic article on International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement on Wikipedia
- Media related to International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement on Wikimedia Commons
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
- List of National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- Red Cross reportedly asks Hamas if workers can meet hostages in Gaza (ABC Video)