A Shot in the Dark
A Shot in the Dark is a 1964 film directed by Blake Edwards and is the second installment in the Pink Panther series. Peter Sellers is featured again as Inspector Jacques Clouseau of the French Sûreté. Clouseau's bumbling personality is unchanged, but it was only in this film that Sellers began to give him the idiosyncratically exaggerated French accent that was to become a hallmark of the character.
- You fool! You have broken my pointing stick! Now I have nothing to point with!
- Facts, Hercule, facts! Nothing matters but the facts. Without them the science of criminal investigation is nothing more than a guessing game.
- And I submit, "Inspector" Ballon, that you arrived home, found Miguel with Maria Gambrelli, and killed him in a "rit of fealous jage"!
- It's all part of life's rich pageant.
(Regarding his having fallen into a fountain)
- I believe everything and I believe nothing. I suspect everyone and I suspect no one.
- Ohh... Do not trifle with me, Monsieur... I am skilled in karate... My hands are lethal weapons!
Chief Inspector DreyfusEdit
- (praying) If someone has been murdered here... please let it be Clouseau, hm?
- You are back on the Gambrelli case!
- I seem to have stabbed myself with the letter opener.
- Give me ten men like Clouseau and I could destroy the world.
- Tell me, why do so many men smoke afterwards? No wonder tobacco companies get rich.
- Chief Inspector Clouseau's residence? One moment please.
- Hercule LaJoy: He beat her.
- Clouseau: He was Spanish!
- Hercule LaJoy: He tore her dress off.
- Clouseau: Oh, don't be ridiculous. If someone tore your dress off, would you kill them?
- Clouseau: Uh... What was I saying? Uh... Listen, you, you daydreaming fool, what are you doing there? I mean, can't you pay attention when I'm talking? Don't you know what I was saying? You're not listening to me.
- Maurice: With the greatest respect, monsieur, I heard every word that you said.
- Clouseau: Would you be kind enough to tell me what it was that I said?
- Maurice: You were talking about the closet, monsieur...
- Clouseau: Uhhh, yes?
- Maurice: You were saying that when the closet door was open, Maria received a bump on the head, and from that that you inferred that someone had been hiding in the closet, monsieur...
- Clouseau: Yes, she received a bump on - And, listen, monsieur, next time I may test you without warning!
- Clouseau: There is something... personal in this...
- Dreyfus: Yes, deeply personal. I hate you. Every little bit of you. Now get out!
- Clouseau: You want me to leave?
- (Clouseau interrogates the suspects; his accent gets in the way)
- Clouseau: And... they were your fingerprints!
- Benjamin Ballon: Well, why not? It's my house. I've often been in that closet.
- Clouseau: For what reason?
- Benjamin Ballon: Last time was moths.
- Clouseau: Meuths?
- Benjamin Ballon: Moths.
- Clouseau: Yes, meuths.
- Benjamin Ballon: Maria was complaining of murths. (frowns at himself)
- Clouseau: Is that right, Maria, that you were complaining about these meuths?
- Maria Gambrelli: Yes, I did complain about moths.
- Clouseau: Oh, you mean meuths! The little flying meuths, yes.
- (Dreyfus is in the early stage of a nervous breakdown; he tries to chop the end off a cigar)
- Dreyfus: François?
- Françios: Yes, Commissioner?
- Dreyfus: ...I just cut off my thumb.
- (Clouseau, smitten with Maria, tries to smoke)
- Maria Gambrelli: Here, have one of mine...
- Clouseau: Oh... Thank you.
- Maria Gambrelli: You have it in backwards.
- Clouseau: Oh, yes, of course... It's, uh, very bad when you do that, yes...
- Clouseau: I am here on official business and I am looking for someone in the recreation area.
- Camp Attendant: Not unless you take off your clothes.
- Clouseau: You, sir, are under arrest!
- Camp Attendant: Arrest? What for?
- Clouseau: For making lewd and suggestive remarks to an official of the French government!
- Camp Attendant: Lewd and suggestive remarks?
- Clouseau: Also for indecent exposure... doesn't anyone wear any clothes around here?
- Camp Attendant: No!
- Clouseau: What?
- Camp Attendant: This is a nudist colony!
- Clouseau: Well... that just goes to prove what I have said all along.
- Dreyfus: What you've said, Clouseau, qualifies you as the greatest prophet since General Custer said he was going to surround all those Indians!
(In trying to murder Clouseau with a car bomb, Dreyfus has just killed all the suspects in the case)
- Dreyfus: (balefully) That was meant for you...
- Clouseau: What do you mean, it was meant for me, Commissioner?
- Dreyfus: A doorman, two customers, and a Cossack... And now, six more innocent people!
- Clouseau: They were all murderers, except for Maurice, who was a blackmailer, Commissioner!
- Dreyfus: Compared with you, they were all saints!