You Only Live Twice (film)
1967 film by Lewis Gilbert
You Only Live Twice is a 1967 film, the the fifth film in the James Bond series, about Agent 007 and the Japanese secret service ninja force who must find and stop the true culprit of a series of spacejackings before nuclear war is provoked.
Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond.taglines
- [about to make love to Helga Brandt] Oh the things I do for England.
- [Coded message to headquarters after being waylaid by attack helicopters] Little Nelly got a hot reception. Four big shots made improper advances toward her, but she defended her honour with great success.
- [James is in bed with Ling, a Chinese woman]
- Bond: Why do Chinese girls taste different from all other girls?
- Ling: You think we better, huh?
- Bond: No, just different. Like Peking duck is different from Russian caviar. But I love them both.
- Ling: Darling, I give you very best duck.
- Moneypenny: Oh, by the way, how was the girl?
- Bond: [turns the lamp towards her, interrogation style] Which girl?
- Moneypenny: The... uh... Chinese one we set you up with?
- Bond: Another few minutes and I would have found out.
- Tiger Tanaka: Permit me to introduce myself. I am Tanaka. Please call me Tiger.
- Bond: If you're Tanaka, then how do you feel about me?
- Tanaka: [the code response] I... love you.
- Bond: Well, I'm glad we got that out of the way.
- [Bond is in a hot tub with Tiger Tanaka and four beautiful Japanese girls.]
- Tiger Tanaka: Rule number one: Never do anything yourself when someone else can do it for you.
- Bond: And number two?
- Tiger Tanaka: Rule number two: In Japan, men always come first, women come second.
- Bond: Really? I might just retire to here.
- [A car chasing Aki and Bond gets picked up by Tanaka's helicopter and gets dropped into the ocean.]
- Tiger Tanaka: How is that for Japanese efficiency?
- Bond: Just a drop in the ocean.
- [Tiger is showing Bond a shooting cigarette.]
- Tiger: It can save your life, this cigarette.
- Bond: You sound like a commercial.
- [Blofeld has summoned Osato and Helga Brandt to his office]
- Blofeld: An unknown Englishman was in your office the other day.
- Mr. Osato: Correct, Number One.
- Blofeld: [shows X-ray image of a pistol] Do you know what gun this is?
- Mr. Osato: [smugly] Walther PPK.
- Blofeld: Only one person we know uses this sort of gun. James Bond.
- Mr. Osato: [startled] But Bond is dead!
- Helga Brandt: It was in all the newspapers!
- Blofeld: Rubbish. Bond is alive, unless you killed him, Mr. Osato? Don't tell me you let him go.
- Mr. Osato: I gave Number 11 the strictest orders to eliminate him!
- Blofeld: And did she?
- Mr. Osato: She failed!
- Helga Brandt: [to Osato] You should have killed him yourself! You had plenty of opportunity!
- Blofeld: This organization does not tolerate failure.
- Mr. Osato: I know, but do you see, I...
- Blofeld: GO! [sees Osato cross a bridge and leaves room; to Helga] Well? [Helga starts across. Blofeld hits a pedal that causes the bridge bottom to drop out, sending her into the piranha-filled water]
- Helga: Aaaah! Osato! NEIIIIIIIIIIIIN!...[disappears from sight as piranhas kill her to the shock of Osato and two Chinese emissaries]
- Blofeld: [addressing Osato as bridge closes back up] Kill Bond! Now!
- Mr. Osato: Yes, Number One! Yes. Yes, yes.
- [Blofeld has an astronaut that just tried to infiltrate SPECTRE's Bird One rocket brought to him at the command center]
- SPECTRE Number 3: A new update on target vehicle has been received from computers. We now have T-minus seven minutes and counting.
- Blofeld: You made a mistake, my friend. No astronaut would enter the capsule, carrying his air conditioner. Remove his helmet! [A guard removes the astronaut's helmet, and Blofeld is surprised who the person is; Osato tries to avoid the astronaut's eyes] James Bond. Allow me to introduce myself. [Leans forward so his head is visible from behind Hans] I am Ernst Stavro Blofeld. They told me you were assassinated in Hong Kong.
- Bond: Yes, this is my second life.
- Blofeld: [Pushes Hans out of the way] You only live twice, Mr. Bond.
- SPECTRE Number 4: Target vehicle passing over central Russia. Approaching Mongolia. Track is as predicted. All computers...
- Blofeld: [Drowns out SPECTRE Number 4] As you see, I am about to inaugurate a little war. In a matter of hours, when America and Russia have annihilated each other, we shall see a new power dominating the world.
- Scientist: Target vehicle on scope.
- Blofeld: [To scientist] Recheck on target vehicle. [To guards] Remove his suit, and search him!
- SPECTRE Number 3: Reserve astronaut, ready on Bird One.
- Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond.
- You Only Live Twice...and "TWICE" is the only way to live!