Titanic (1997 film)
1997 film directed by James Cameron
Titanic is a 1997 American film about two fictional young lovers aboard the ill-fated RMS Titanic during her maiden voyage in 1912. It won eleven Academy Awards, including Best Picture in 1997.
- Written and directed by James Cameron.
Collide with Destiny. (Taglines)
- I'm the king of the world!
- Note: this exchange is ranked #100 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen, or who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night, I was sleeping under a bridge, and now, here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figured life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You never know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... To make each day count.
- [looks at back of salvaged mirror] This was mine. How extraordinary! And it looks the same as it did the last time I saw it. [turns mirror over] The reflection has changed a bit.
- It was the ship of dreams to everyone else. To me, it was a slave ship taking me back to America in chains. Outwardly, I was everything a well-brought up girl should be. Inside, I was screaming.
- I saw my whole life as if I already lived it. An endless parade of parties and cotillions, yachts and polo matches. Always the same narrow people, the same mindless chatter. I felt like I was standing at a great precipice, with no one to pull me back, no one who cared or even noticed.
- 1,500 people went into the sea when Titanic sank from under us. There were 20 boats floating nearby and only one came back. One. 6 were saved from the water, myself included. 6... out of 1,500. Afterward, the 700 people in the boats had nothing to do but wait. Wait to die, wait to live, wait for an absolution that would never come.
- [About Cal] That's the last time I ever saw him. He married, of course, and inherited his millions, but The Crash of '29 hit his interests hard, and he put a pistol in his mouth that year...or so I read.
- Benjamin Guggenheim: [after being offered a lifebelt] No, thank you. We are dressed in our best, and are prepared to go down as gentlemen. But we would like a brandy!!!
- [Astor]: I am looking for my damned dog. Madeleine asked me to look for the dog...
- [Gordon]: [after being asked to go back to pick up more people] It's out of the question!!!
- [Hichens: It's our lives now, not theirs.
- Hichens: There'll be one less on this boat, madam, if you don't SHUT THAT HOLE IN YOUR FACE!!!
- [Lookout 1]: If that's what it takes for us two to get warm, I'd rather not, if it's all the same to you, alright?
- Lookout 1: Bugger me!
- Lookout 1: Pick up, you bastards!
- Lookout 1: ICEBERG, RIGHT AHEAD!!!
- Lookout 1: Why ain't they turning?!
- Lookout 1: Oy, that was a close shave wasn't it?
- [Lookout 2] Smell ice, can you? Bleedin' christ.
- Hartley: Right, boys, like the Captain said. Nice and cheery; so there's no panic. Wedding-dance!
- Hartley: Well, they don't listen to us at dinner, either. Come on, let's play. It will keep us warm. Orpheus!
- Hartley: Gentlemen, it has been a privilege playing with you tonight.
- Andrews: About half, actually. I installed these knew welin type davits which can take an extra row of boats here...but it was thought, by some, that the deck would look too cluttered, so, I was over-ruled. But you can sleep soundly, young Rose. I have built a ship strong, safe and true. She is as unsinkable as it is possible to make a ship, and she can handle a collision impressively. If the ship ever is sinking, just remember what I told you about these lifeboats. You must decide to get in.
- Andrews: The ship will sink. In an hour, or so...all of this will be at the bottom of the Atlantic.
- Andrews: I'm sorry I couldn't build you a better ship, young Rose.
- E Deck Steward: Here, what do you think you're doing? You'll have to pay for that you know. That's White Star Line property!!!!
- Gate Steward 2: Go back down into the main stairwells like I've told you before!!!
- Lovett: Louis XVI wore a fabulous stone that was called the Blue Diamond of the Crown, which disappeared in 1792, about the same time old Louis lost everything from the neck up. The theory goes that the crown diamond was chopped too... recut into a heart-like shape that became known as the Heart of the Ocean. Today it would be worth more than the Hope Diamond.
- Old Rose: It was a dreadful, heavy thing. I only wore it this once.
- Lizzy: [looking at Rose's drawing] You actually believe this is you, Nana?
- Old Rose: It is me, dear. Wasn't I a dish?
- Lovett: I tracked it down through insurance records. An old claim that was settled under terms of absolute secrecy. Can you tell me who the claimant was, Rose?
- Old Rose: I should imagine someone named Hockley.
- Lovett: Nathan Hockley, that's right. Pittsburgh steel tycoon. The claim was for a diamond necklace his son, Caledon, bought his fiancée. You. A week before he sailed on Titanic. It was filed right after the sinking, so the diamond had to have gone down with the ship. See the date?
- Lizzy: "April 14, 1912".
- Bodine: Which means, if your grandmother is who she says she is, she was wearing the diamond the day the Titanic sank.
- Lovett: [to old Rose] And that makes you my new best friend.
- Old Rose: It's been 84 years...
- Lovett: It's okay. Just try to remember anything, anything at all.
- Old Rose: Do you want to hear this or not, Mr. Lovett? It's been 84 years, and I can still smell the fresh paint. The china had never been used. The sheets had never been slept in. Titanic was called the 'Ship of Dreams," and it was. It really was.
- Rose: I don't see what all the fuss is about. It doesn't look any bigger than the Mauretania.
- Hockley: You can be blasé about some things, Rose, but not about Titanic. It's over a hundred feet longer than the Mauretania and far more luxurious. Your daughter is far too difficult to impress, Ruth.
- Ruth: So this is the ship they say is unsinkable.
- Hockley: It is unsinkable. God himself could not sink this ship!
- Molly: Hey, uh, who thought of the name "Titanic?" Was it you, Bruce?
- Bruce: Yes, actually. I want to convey sheer size; and size means stability, luxury, and, above all, strength.
- Rose: Do you know of Dr. Freud, Mr. Ismay? His ideas about the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you.
- [Molly and Thomas Andrews chuckle]
- Ruth: [whispering] What's gotten into you?
- Rose: Excuse me. [rises and leaves]
- Ruth: I do apologize.
- Molly: She's a pistol, Cal. Hope you can handle her.
- Hockley: Well, I may have to start minding what she reads from now on. Won't I, Mrs. Brown?
- Bruce: Freud? Who is he? Is he a passenger?
- Rose: Look, I know what you must be thinking, "Poor little rich girl, what does she know about misery?"
- Jack: No! No, that's not what I was thinking. What I was thinking was, "What could've happened to this girl to make her think she had no way out?"
- Rose: It was everything. It was my whole world and all the people in it. And the inertia of my life: plunging ahead and me powerless to stop it. [shows Jack her engagement ring]
- Jack: God, look at that thing! You would've gone straight to the bottom.
- Bruce: So you've not yet lit the last four boilers?
- Captain Smith: No, I don't see the need. We are making excellent time.
- Bruce: The press knows the size of Titanic. Now I want them to marvel at her speed, too. We must give them something new to print. This maiden voyage of Titanic must make headlines!
- Ruth: Tell us about the accommodations in steerage, Mr. Dawson. I hear they are quite good on this ship.
- Jack: The best I've seen, ma'am. Hardly any rats.
- Jack: Rose... ...you're no picnic. All right? You're a spoiled little brat even. But under that, you're the most amazingly, astounding wonderful girl -- woman, that I've ever known.
- Rose: Jack, I--
- Jack: No, let me try and get this out. You're ama... I'm not an idiot. I know how the world works. I've got ten bucks in my pocket. I have nothing to offer you and I know that. I understand. But I'm too involved now. You jump, I jump, remember? I can't turn away without knowing you'll be all right. That's all that I want.
- Rose: Well, I'm fine. I'll be fine. Really.
- Jack: Really? I don't think so. They've got you trapped, Rose. And you're gonna die if you don't break free. Maybe not right away because you're strong, but sooner or later that fire that I love about you, Rose, that fire is gonna burn out.
- Rose: It's not up to you to save me, Jack.
- Jack: You're right. Only you can do that.
- Rose: I'm going back. Leave me alone.
- Rose: Hello, Jack. I changed my mind.
- Jack: Give me your hand. Now close your eyes. [...] Now, step up onto the rail. [...] Do you trust me?
- Rose: I trust you.
- Jack: Open your eyes.
- Rose: I'm flying, Jack.
- Jack: Is it a sapphire?
- Rose: A diamond. A very rare diamond. Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls. Wearing this.
- Jack: All right.
- Rose: Wearing only this.
- [while the ship is sinking, Jack and Rose break out of a room, damaging the door]
- Steward: What do you think you're doing?! You'll have to pay for that, you know. That's White Star Line property!
- Jack and Rose: SHUT UP!!
- [Chaos is starting to form around the stern aft lifeboats. Officer Lowe and Officer Lightoller struggle to hold the crowd back. Suddenly, a woman is accidentally knocked off the ship by a panicking man and nearly falls into the water, leaving her screaming and dangling from the side of lifeboat.]
- Lightoller: [Yelling to the passengers below deck] Hold on to her! Quick! Pull her in!
- [The passengers on the promenade deck below grab her and help her back aboard the Titanic before she can fall into the sea. The crowd of men continues panicking, starting fight with the officers over Lifeboat spaces. Lightoller snaps, and whips out a revolver from his coat pocket and points it directly at the crowd.]
- Lightoller: GET BACK I SAY OR I'LL SHOOT YOU ALL LIKE DOGS!!! KEEP ORDER HERE!
- [The shocked crowd calms down and backs off.]
- Lightoller: Keep order, I say.
- Cal: [to Rose] Where are you going?! To him?! What, to be a whore to a gutter rat?!
- Rose: I'd rather be his whore than your wife.
- [Rose is on top of a door in the water and Jack is hanging off the side, shivering]
- Rose: It's getting quiet.
- Jack: It's gonna take a couple of minutes to get the boats organized. I don't know about you, but I intend to go write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all this.
- Rose: I love you, Jack.
- Jack: Don't you do that. Don't you say your good-byes. Not yet, do you understand me?
- Rose: I'm so cold.
- Jack: Listen, Rose. You're gonna get out of here, you're gonna go on, and you're gonna make lots of babies, and you're gonna watch them grow. You're gonna die an old... an old woman warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this, do you understand me?
- Rose: I can't feel my body.
- Jack: Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me... it brought me to you. And I'm thankful for that, Rose. I'm thankful. You must do me this honor. You must promise me that you'll survive, that you won't give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise.
- Rose: I promise.
- Jack: Never let go.
- Rose: I'll never let go, Jack. I'll never let go.
- [As the Carpathia arrives in New York, Rose stands in the rain, staring at the Statue of Liberty.]
- Carpathia Steward: Can I take your name, please, love?
- Rose: Dawson. Rose Dawson.
- Steward: Thank you.
- [The scene returns to the present day.]
- Old Rose: Can you exchange one life for another? A caterpillar turns into a butterfly. If a mindless insect can do it, why couldn't I? Was it any more unimaginable than the sinking of the Titanic?
- Bodine: We never found anything on Jack. There's no record of him at all.
- Old Rose: No, there wouldn't be, would there? And I've never spoken of him until now. Not to anyone. [to Lizzy] Not even your grandfather. A woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets. But now you know there was a man named Jack Dawson, and that he saved me in every way that a person can be saved. I don't even have a picture of him. He exists now only in my memory.
- Collide with Destiny.
- Nothing on Earth could come between them.
- [from trailer] Take a journey back in time, in search of a mystery locked beneath the sea. This December, you will be given the key.
- [from TV spot] On December 19th, the most incredible event that ever happened will happen to you.
- [from TV spot] It is everything you've imagined. It is everything you've dreamed. It is nothing you expect.
|Leonardo DiCaprio||Jack Dawson|
|Kate Winslet||Rose DeWitt Bukater|
|Gloria Stuart||Old Rose (Rose Dawson Calvert)|
|Billy Zane||Caledon Hockley|
|David Warner||Spicer Lovejoy|
|Frances Fisher||Ruth DeWitt Bukater|
|Kathy Bates||Margaret "Molly" Brown|
|Bernard Hill||Captain Edward J. Smith|
|Jonathan Hyde||J. Bruce Ismay|
|Victor Garber||Thomas Andrews|
|Danny Nucci||Fabrizio De Rossi|
|Suzy Amis||Lizzy Calvert|
|Bernard Fox||Colonel Archbald Gracie IV|
|Bill Paxton||Brock Lovett|
|Eric Braeden||Colonel John Jacob Astor IV|
|Ewan Stewart||First Officer William Murdoch|
|Ioan Gruffudd||Fifth Officer Harold Lowe|
|Rochelle Rose||Noel-Leslie Martha, Countess of Rothes||