The Replacements (film)
2000 film by Howard Deutch
(Redirected from The Replacements)
This is about a 2000 film. For the Disney channel show, go to The Replacements (TV series).
Throw the ball. Catch the girl. Keep it simple. taglines
- You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand.
- I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
- It's been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.
Coach Jimmy McGintyEdit
- Winners always want the ball, when the game is on the line.
- Listen up! This time tomorrow, the strike will be officially over. Now Dallas has made a big mistake out there tonight. They haven't been afraid of you, and they should be, because you have a powerful weapon working for you tonight: There is no tomorrow for you... and that makes you all VERY DANGEROUS PEOPLE!
- When the replacement players for the Washington Sentinels left the stadium that day, there was no ticker tape parade, no endorsement deals for sneakers or soda pop, or breakfast cereal. Just a locker to be cleaned out, and a ride home to catch. But what they didn't know, was that their lives had been changed forever because they had been part of something great. And greatness, no matter how brief, stays with a man. Every athlete dreams of a second chance, these men lived it.
- Coach McGinty: [After the Sentinels lose their game against Detroit, thanks to Falco's audible] FALCO! If I had wanted Cochran to have the ball, I would have called it that way!
- Shane Falco: I read Blitz.
- McGinty: Bullshit! I put the game in your hands, you got scared!
- Falco: I read BLITZ!
- McGinty: [confronts Falco] Winners always want the ball when the game's on the line.
- [at the bar]
- Shane Falco: Danny.
- Daniel Bateman: Yeah?
- Falco: Remember what I said about redshirts in practice?
- Bateman: Yeah.
- Falco: Forget about it.
- Bateman: Ok.
- Falco: Hey Martell. [punches him]
- Bateman: Yaaaah! [Fight breaks out during which Danny beats up Eddie Martell, who's wearing a red shirt]
- Coach McGinty: Danny, I need that ball.
- Daniel Bateman: You need the ball.
- McGinty: Get me the ball.
- Bateman: Get you ball.
- McGinty: [screaming] Are you going to get me the ball?
- (They scream together nearly incoherently as Bateman starts taking on an insane look.)
- McGinty: [After Bateman runs onto the field insane] I sure hope he doesn't kill somebody.
- Eddie Martell: We have a game to win. Nobody can beat Dallas with these losers!
- Shane Falco: [enters locker room] I can.
- Martell: Hi Shane, how are ya, now get the HELL OUT OF MY LOCKER ROOM!
- Falco: Coach?
- Jimmy McGinty: What the hell took you so long?
- Falco: Traffic. [players cheer him on]
- McGinty: Suit up!
- Martell: What?! [To McGinty] O'Neil will fire your ass!
- McGinty: It won't be the first time!
- Martell: This is bullshit. I'm going to put an end to it right now. [heads for the locker room exit]
- Nigel Gruff: Come and get some then! [Pulling his shirt off, spitting into his right hand, and faces Martell] You big fairy!
- Martell: [chuckles at Nigel in front of him but the grin disappears as the whole team moves to surround him.] This doesn't change anything, Falco. I'm an All-Pro quarterback. I've got TWO Super Bowl rings! You'll never be more than a replacement player.
- Falco: Yeah...yeah, I can live with that.
- Clifford Franklin: [refers to Martell] My brothers, will somebody please, PLEASE get this asshole out of here?
- [As the crowd sings "Ole Ole Ole," Nigel Gruff cringes as he debates inwardly over the field goal attempt.]
- Shane Falco: Nigel! Nigel, are you alright?
- Gruff: I'm sorry. I had the money, but I pissed it all down at the track again!
- Falco: What? What are you talking about?
- Gruff: They're gonna take my pub away from me! It's all I've got, Shane!
- Sentinels Center: Come on, Shane!