The Legend of Korra (season 4)
The following is a list of quotes from the fourth season The Legend of Korra.
After All These Years [4.01]Edit
- Shiro Shinobi: (off-screen narration, as a black and white film reel of Republic City landmarks plays) Welcome to Republic City, the place of hopes, dreams and Spirit Wilds! This metropolis truly has something for everyone. Visit Air Temple Island, the hub for all airbenders as they travel the world, helping others. Or take a stroll through beautiful Avatar Korra Park, named in honor of "You-Know-Who"! We've missed her these past three years and we can't wait to welcome her home. Get well soon, Korra! And of course, you'll want to see our most unique attractions: the Spirit Wilds. Here, spirits and people live harmoniously together. (referring to a shot of Gommu with a group of spirits) Like this old codger, and his new pals. Yes siree, this town is truly on the up and up! Come be a part of the action in Republic City!
- Tenzin: After your coronation, the United Forces will escort you to Ba Sing Se.
- Wu: Right. About that. Are we all positive that the Earth Kingdom is safe enough for me to return? I don't have to remind everyone what happened to my great-aunt three years ago?! [He starts imitating Hou-Ting suffocating] May she rest in peace.
- Raiko: Prince Wu, I assure you, Kuvira has the Earth Kingdom pretty much stabilized at this point.
- Wu: [Skeptically] Uh...define "pretty much".
- Tenzin: Well, the roving bandits have mostly been dispersed.
- Wu: Mostly?
- Lin: Don't worry kid. The chances of you being assassinated are almost zero.
- Wu: Almost!?
Korra Alone [4.02]Edit
- [Korra, after fighting with a vision of her past self and getting knocked out, wakes up in a cave. She sits up and holds her head. A mysterious woman stirs a pot on a fire nearby.]
- Mysterious woman: Feeling better?
- Korra: Where am I? What happened?
- Mysterious woman: I was hoping you could tell me. I found you passed out in the mud.
- Korra: How did you know I was out there?
- Mysterious woman: I'm pretty tapped into the goings-on around here. [Slight pause] what brings you to the Swamp, anyway?
- Korra: A spirit led me here and told me I was supposed to find someone; is that you?
- Mysterious woman: Beats me, but if your Avatar senses called you here, you should probably listen to them.
- Korra: [Standing up] Wait. You recognize me?
- Mysterious woman: In a manner of speaking. We were good friends in your previous life.
- [Korra uses her firebending to create a small flame in her hand. The mysterious woman turns around and reveals herself to be Toph Beifong.]
- Korra: I can't believe it ... Toph?!
- Toph Beifong: [chuckles] Nice to see you again, Twinkle Toes.
The Coronation [4.03]Edit
[At Prince Wu's Coronation ceremony, Gun, the Grand Secretariat of Ba Sing Se, pins the "royal brooch," really an earring, onto Wu's coat]
- Gun: Now rise, Wu of the Hou-Ting Dynasty, King of all the Earth Lands and Glorious Defender of Ba Sing Se. Long may you reign!
[Scattered, uninterested applause from the crowd]
- Wu: (addressing the crowd) Thank you, for that incredibly brief but very moving ceremony. I am touched by the love of my devoted countrymen, who have worked so hard to restore their beloved leader to the throne. One of them deserves special attention. [Turns to Kuvira] Kuvira, rise! [Kuvira walks over to him. Wu places a medal around her neck] For your service to the realm, I would like to present you with the Kyoshi Medal of Freedom, our nation's highest honor, which was somehow not stolen, unlike the royal pinky rings.
- Kuvira: Thank you. And if you don't mind, I would like to say a few words.
- Wu: Why not? [slightly annoyed] We've got six hours to fill.
- Kuvira: [Addressing the crowd] Growing up in Zaofu, with Suyin Beifong, I learned that the idea of a royal family passing a title from one generation to the next was archaic, and that technology and innovation should be what drives a nation forward. It was the pathetic rule of kings and queens that caused the Earth Kingdom to descend into such incredible disarray. It's taken me three years to get it back on track, and there is no way I will allow it to slip back into the dark ages. [Tenzin and President Raiko exchange troubled looks] I'd like to make an announcement to the world: the Earth Kingdom is no more. And from here on out, [Gestures to Wu.] this man has no authority. [Crowd gasps in surprise.]
- Wu: [surprised and confused] Wait, what?! But I just got the Royal Brooch!
- Kuvira: I have created a new Earth Empire, and I will continue to lead it into the future myself, bringing about a new era of prosperity for my people.
[Many of Kuvira's supporters in the crowd cheer and applaud. Bolin reluctantly stands and applauds]
- Kuvira: And let me assure my fellow leaders of one thing: [She rips the Kyoshi Medal of Freedom from around her neck and uses metalbending to levitate it in her hand] Anyone who crosses our borders or stands in our way will be crushed. [As she finishes her speech, she crushes the medal and lets it drop to the stage floor]
[Korra and Toph have just finished sparring in the swamp, with Toph emerging the victor every time.]
- Korra: That was terrible.
- Toph: Ha! Maybe for you. I had a great time. I never realized how much I missed tormenting the Avatar. I wish you were putting up more of a fight, but it was still fun.
- Korra: You were tossing me around like a rag doll all day long.
- Toph: I know! And I'm an old lady! Imagine me in my prime. [laughing] I would have destroyed you!
- Korra: I just don't understand why I can't get back to my former self. It's like ... I'm a step slower. I'm tentative, I'm out of sync, I just can't get back in the groove.
- Toph: [matter-of-factly] Probably carrying around that metal doesn't help.
- Korra: [surprised] What metal?
- Toph: The little bits of metal poison stuck in your body. [Pause] You mean to tell me you can't feel metal in your own body?! You really are the worst Avatar ever.
- Korra: I thought Su got it all out...
- Toph: No, my girls never really picked up metalbending all that well, if you ask me.
- Korra: [excited] That's been my problem this entire time! [grabbing Toph by the shoulders] I gotta get it out! You can get it out for me, right?
- Toph: Who do you think you're talking to? [puts her hand on Korra's face, pushing her away]
[Back in Toph's hut, Korra is lying down on a bed. Toph is standing off to the side.]
- Toph: Okay, if you want me to bend out this metal, you need to relax.
- Korra: [Tense] I am relaxed.
- Toph: Seriously? Your body is like a twisted tree trunk!
- Korra: Just do it! I'm ready.
[Toph cracks her knuckles and shoulders. As soon as she starts metalbending the poison, Korra jolts forward, yelling in pain.]
- Toph: It wouldn't hurt if you would just relax! Stop fighting me!
- Korra: [frustrated] I'm not fighting!
[Korra lies back down. Toph cracks her back and starts bending the poison again. Korra sees a vision of Zaheer suffocating her, causing to scream and curl up]
- Toph: [giving up] All right, that's it. You're going to have to do this on your own. Clearly, you want to keep the metal in there.
- Korra: What do you mean? Why would I want poison inside me?
- Toph: I don't know! Maybe so you have an excuse not to go back to being the Avatar. If you don't get better, you can't do your job, so you don't have to worry about getting hurt again!
- Korra: Wha - that's ridiculous!
- Toph: Whatever. When you want it out, you can bend it out. I can't deal with all your issues for you.
- Korra: Wait! What am I supposed to do now?
- Toph: How should I know? Ask the spirit that brought you here. The good news is, if you're looking for a place to hang where no one will bother you, you picked the best swamp in the world!
The Calling [4.04]Edit
- [Toph relaxes on a tree root, whistling a little tune as Korra approaches]
- Korra: So ... what's the plan for today?
- Toph: [smiling] You're looking at it.
- Korra: We didn't do anything yesterday, or the day before that. [She sits down on a nearby root. After a brief pause, she's upbeat again.] I know! Tell me the story of how you taught Aang to earthbend!
- Toph: [nonchalantly] What's there to tell? I threw some rocks at the Avatar, he got all whiny, and Sokka fell in a hole.
- Korra: [underwhelmed] I thought there'd be more to it than that ... [another brief pause] Oh, what about the time you guys took down the Fire Lord? That must've been epic!
- Toph: Oh yeah! [blandly] It was hot. I was on a blimp. And I think a giant turtle showed up. Wow, what a day.
- Korra: Okay, you're terrible at telling stories.
- Toph: You're terrible at listening to them!
- [Korra sits on a tree root, having encountered visions in the Swamp of her enemies at moments where they did her the most harm. Toph walks up to her.]
- Toph: There you are! You got my dinner yet?
- Korra: No ... this swamp ... It did crazy things to my mind. I had visions, of all the times my enemies hurt me.
- Toph: [nonchalantly] Yeah, I figured something like that might happen.
- Korra: [surprised] What? You wanted me to see those visions? You are one twisted old lady, you know that?
- Toph: Look, I know you want to get better. And so does the Swamp! It can sense you're out of balance. It will teach you what you need to learn, if you're open to listening.
- Korra: [sighs] Okay, Swamp, I'm all ears.
- Toph: You said you saw your past enemies. Now why do you think that is?
- Korra: I don't know. Because they made me and a lot of other people suffer.
- Toph: Sounds like you're carrying around your former enemies, the same way you're still carrying around that metal poison. You maybe consider you could learn something from them?
- Korra: [unconvinced] Sounds like the swamp is messing with your mind, too.
- Toph: My mind's just fine, thank you. Listen: [as she speaks, images of each of Korra's enemies fade in and out] what did Amon want? Equality for all. Unalaq? He brought back the spirits. And Zaheer believed in freedom.
- Korra: I guess ...
- Toph: The problem was, those guys were totally out of balance and they took their ideologies too far.
- Korra: Okay, fine. But that doesn't explain why they keep haunting me.
- Toph: Because you need to face your fears. You can't expect to deal with future enemies if you're still fighting the old ones.
Enemy at the Gates [4.05]Edit
- Asami: [Pushing a stack of letters across the table] I came to return these.
- Hiroshi: You never opened them.
- Asami: Stop writing me. I never want to see or hear from you again. [She rises to leave]
- Hiroshi: Please, just let me say one thing, then I'll never contact you again.
- [Asami stands still for a moment, then sits back down, not looking her father in the eye]..
- Hiroshi: I can't forgive myself for all the horrible things I've done. And I never expect you to forgive me. I tore our family apart, and destroyed our good name. But in a life of regret, you're the one thing I look back on that makes me smile. I just want you to know I'm so proud of you, Asami. You are the greatest thing I ever created.
- Hiroshi: You came back.
- Asami: When I first came here, it was because I wanted to tell you face to face that I never wanted to see or hear from you again. I wanted my words to hurt you so that you would know how you hurt me.
- Hiroshi: I'm sorry.
- Asami: But when I saw you, it wasn't anger I felt. It was sadness. You tainted our past and destroyed our future together.
- Hiroshi: I want to make amends.
- Asami: I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forgive you. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't try.
- [She reaches down to her bag and pulls out a small Pai Sho board]
- Asami: I thought we could play some Pai Sho. Like we used to.
- Hiroshi: [A smile appears on his face] Nothing...would make me happier.
The Battle of Zaofu [4.06]Edit
- Varrick: So, the trouble begins when the Avatar is trapped in the Spirit World. The world's most evil villains realize that with Korra out of the way, the time is right to try to take out Bolin. So, the worst of the worst team up. They're led by ... Zaheer, leader of the Red Lotus and master of the skies, a flying chaotic chaos machine! He's joined by ... Vaatu, the ultimate force of pure spirit evil in the universe. The biggest, meanest, scariest kite that ever flew!
- Bolin: Wait! Zaheer didn't team up with Vaatu. How would that even happen?
- Varrick: How do you think?
[cut to villain conference call]
- Vaatu: Hello?
- Zaheer: Hey. It's Zaheer.
- Vaatu: Oh. Hey, Zaheer.
- Zaheer: Glad I caught you at home. [chuckles]
- Vaatu: Uh-huh. Very funny. Like I can leave this stupid tree.
- Zaheer: Hold on, let me conference in—
- Varrick: Amon! The reanimated zombie body of the bloodbending leader of the Equalists!
- Amon: Hey, guys, I'm totally in for taking out Bolin. He's way too powerful and awesome. But can we please not include—
- Unalaq: Not include who, Amon?
- Varrick: The evil Unalaq. The diabolical but incredibly boring and unpopular sorcerer from the north, who's listening in on the other line!
- Unalaq: I've spent my life trying to defeat Nuktuk, I mean, Bolin, and I know just where to find him.
Beyond the Wilds [4.09]Edit
- [Discussing Kuvira taking the spirit vines for a weapon]
- Raiko: She might use the weapon to attack Republic City. The only way to protect ourselves is with a preemptive strike.
- Tenzin: My airbenders won't be part of an unprovoked attack!
- Izumi: Neither will the Fire Nation.
- Raiko: But, Fire Lord Izumi, Kuvira is a threat to the world! She has to be stopped!
- Izumi: The Fire Nation has spent too much of its history fighting nonsense wars. And I refuse to drag my nation into another one unless there is no other choice. If you attack Kuvira, you'll do it without my army.
- Raiko: Fine. I'll hold off any plans of attack. We'll go on the defensive and fortify security on the borders.
- Izumi: In that, you'll have my help.
- [Korra confronts Zaheer in his prison; he is meditating in mid-air, his wrists and ankles shackled]
- Zaheer: I figured you would show up, sooner or later. So... You must really be in trouble if you came all the way down here to see me.
- Korra: I came here to look you in the eye and tell you that you have no power over me. I will no longer be scared of you.
- [Zaheer suddenly flies straight at Korra, who is visibly startled, before he is restrained by his chains]
- Zaheer: [laughs] I guess it didn't work. You still seem scared.
- Korra: This was a mistake.
- Zaheer: I know why you're here.
- Korra: You don't know anything about me!
- Zaheer: You can't go into the Spirit World. [Korra, surprised, turns and faces Zaheer] I spend most of my time in the Spirit World, and it's well-known that the Avatar's spirit hasn't been there for a few years.
- Korra: You can meditate into the Spirit World from here? Doesn't feel very spiritually charged.
- Zaheer: This is your problem. Republic City is flowing with spiritual energy, and you can't even tap into it.
- Korra: No, my problem is you. You poisoned me! You ruined me! People used to think I was unstoppable, but now they don't think I'm capable of anything!
- Zaheer: Blaming me is a crutch to make you feel better, but it's not helping you recover.
- Korra: I thought seeing you face-to-face would put an end to all of this, but maybe it's time I realize I'll never be the same.
- Zaheer: Neither of us are the same as before. I learned to fly, but now I'm bound in chains. You have all the power in the world and the freedom to use it, but you choose to hold yourself down.
- Korra: I'm not holding myself down, but my powers have limits.
- Zaheer: You're wrong. That poison should've killed you, but you were able to fight it off. You think your power has limits. I say... it's limitless.
- Korra: Whatever. Before, you were always talking about chaos and freedom. Then you took out the Earth Queen and created the worst dictator the Earth Kingdom has ever seen. Thanks for that.
- Zaheer: (frowns, grimly)...I've heard rumors about her, but I didn't know she achieved so much power. She needs to be stopped.
- Korra: Well, I can't stop her unless I get over this block.
- Zaheer: I think I can help. Let me lead you into the spirit world.
- Korra: No way. I can't trust you.
- Zaheer: Maybe not. But if you had any other options, you wouldn't be here now, would you? We may have been enemies once, but for now, our interests align.
[Zaheer levitates into the air, and assumes a meditating position]
- Korra: ...I've come this far. What have I got to lose?
[Korra sits on the ground, ready to meditate into the Spirit World]
- Zaheer: Focus on the sound of my voice and clear your mind.
[Cut to Korra envisioning the day that Zaheer almost killed her. Korra starts hyperventilating in panic]
- Zaheer: Let it play out.
- Korra: I can't!
- Zaheer: You can. Accept what happened to you. Don't fear what might have been.
[Korra envisions both her and Zaheer plummeting into the whirlwind]
- Korra: I have no control!
- Zaheer: Don't be afraid. Hold on.
[Korra envisions herself plummeting through the ground, then suddenly finds herself in the Spirit World, with Zaheer standing before her]
- Korra: I made it... and you led me here. Do you know where Jinora and the others are?
- Zaheer: No. But you do.
[He vanishes, returning to the human world.]
Operation Beifong [4.10]Edit
- Bolin: So here's something I've always been curious about. Who's Lin's dad?
- [Lin shoots Bolin an extremely dirty look]
- Toph: He was a guy named Kanto. Nice man but it didn't really work out between us.
- Bolin: And...Okay.
- Toph: Lin, I can feel your enraged breathing from here. Just say what you have to say, and let's get it over with.
- Lin: Just get it over with? Yeah, let's not linger on the fact that I grew up without a Dad. No need to get all touchy-feely about it. Just one of those things, right?
- Toph: Hey, I forgave you for all your garbage a long time ago, and Su and I worked things out. You're the only one who wants to hold on to this family drama nonsense for the rest of your life.
- Lin: Forgave me for what? And not knowing my Dad is nonsense to you? It was pretty important to me. And until now, you would never even discuss it. You know, after Su and I patched things up, I thought "Maybe I should try to reach out to Mom." But now that we're together again, I remember why we stopped talking. You make me furious, and you don't even know why. And when I tell you, you don't care. Once we save Su, you and I are finished.
- Toph: [sighs sadly] If that's your decision and it makes you happy, then fine.
- Kuvira: You swore your loyalty to me and I gave you a chance at greatness. [Angrily] This is how you repay me?!
- Zhu Li: [Defiantly] You're a monster. I regret nothing.
- Baatar Sr.: So how have you been, Mother?
- Toph: I told you never to call me that.
- Suyin: Thanks for coming to save us Mom.
- Lin: Yeah, thanks, Chief. [Pauses briefly] I'm sorry for what I said last night. I was just...you know.
- Toph: Look, I know I wasn't a great mother, but one way or another, I ended up with two great kids. Good enough to risk my bony old butt for, anyway. If you can just find some way not to hate me, maybe that's enough, at least for me.
- Lin: Me too. [Hugs her mother]
Kuvira's Gambit [4.11]Edit
- Kuvira: This land belongs to the people of the Earth Empire and it's time to take it back. Republic City will be ours!
- Iroh: Mister President, do I have your order to engage?
- Kuvira: You have 3 seconds before I wipe out your army.
- Raiko: I have no choice.
- Kuvira: Time's up!
- Raiko: Stop! We surrender. Republic City is yours.
- Kuvira: Good. Turn your army and the Avatar over to me and give Bataar your location. He'll present you with our terms.
Day of the Colossus [4.12]Edit
[Korra has immobilized Kuvira's giant mecha-suit in ice, allowing Asami to land a Hummingbird mecha-suit on its' hull]
- Kuvira: [to her engineer] I need more power! They're cutting in! More power!
[As Hiroshi cuts through the armor with the Hummingbird's plasma torch, Asami glances up and sees the ice on the mecha-suit's arm cracking]
- Asami Sato: We need to get out of here.
- Hiroshi Sato: Almost there.
- Asami Sato: [noticing chunks of ice falling free] We have to go, now!
- Hiroshi Sato: Almost there... almost there!
[Kuvira breaks the mecha-suit's arm free of the ice and swings at the Hummingbird.]
- Asami Sato: DAD, NOW!
- Hiroshi Sato: Goodbye, Asami. I love you.
[He presses the eject button, launching Asami out of the Hummingbird, and finishes cutting.]
- Asami Sato: DAD!!
[The mecha-suit's arm smashes down on the Hummingbird; Asami floats away on her parachute, grief-stricken. When Kuvira lifts the arm again, the crushed Hummingbird falls away, revealing a hole in the armor.]
- Korra: [Sadly] Hiroshi's plan worked. There's our opening.
The Last Stand [4.13]Edit
- Kuvira: What happened? Are we dead?
- Korra: No, we're okay, but we're in the Spirit World. All the energy from your weapon tore open a new portal and blasted us in here.
- Kuvira: Why would you save my life? After everything I did to you.
- Korra: I guess I see a lot of myself in you.
- Kuvira: We are nothing alike.
- Korra: Yes, we are. We're both fierce and determined to succeed, sometimes without thinking things through.
- Kuvira: This wasn't how I wanted things to end. If you had all just surrendered, none of this would've happened.
- Korra: You brought this on yourself. Messing with the spirit vines, acting like a dictator over your people; you had to know what you were doing wasn't right.
- Kuvira: I was trying to help my people. Su turned her back on the Earth Kingdom. You were gone. I had to do something.
- Korra: I think I get it now.
- Kuvira: You don't understand anything about me.
- Korra: I do. Su told me how she took you in when you were younger. It must have been so hard being an orphan.
- Kuvira: Don't pretend you know what it felt like. The Avatar is adored by millions! I was cast aside by my own parents, like I meant nothing to them! How could I just stand by and watch the same thing happen to my nation when it needed someone to guide it?
- Korra: You wanted to create a place where you and your people would never be vulnerable again. I may not have been an orphan, but believe me, I understand what it feels like to be afraid. After I was poisoned, I would've done anything to feel in control.
- Tenzin: I spoke to President Raiko. Tomorrow, he's announcing a plan to expand the city, rather than rebuild downtown.
- Korra: I bet Aang never could've imagined there'd be a spirit portal right in the heart of Republic City.
- Tenzin: Korra, you've transformed the world more in a few years than most Avatars did during their lifetimes.
- Korra: But I feel like I've only just begun. There's so much more I want to learn and do.
- Tenzin: You don't know how happy I am to hear you so full of hope again.
- Korra: It's been a bit of a bumpy ride, huh?
- Tenzin: I've come to realize life is one big, bumpy ride.
- Korra: I know I was in a pretty dark place after I was poisoned, but I finally understand why I needed to go through all that. I needed to understand what real suffering was, so I could become more compassionate to others ... even to people like Kuvira.
[Asami walks over]
- Asami: Excuse me, Tenzin. Varrick is looking for you. Something about wanting to borrow a glider suit to fly off the tower?
- Tenzin: [running off] That doesn't seem like a good idea!
- Korra: You want to sit with me for a minute? I'm not ready to get back to the party just yet.
[Asami and Korra sit on the steps, looking out at Republic City]
- Korra: I don't think I ever really apologized.
- Asami: For what?
- Korra: For being gone all that time. For not coming back sooner.
- Asami: You don't have to apologize for anything. I'm just so happy you're here now. I don't think I could've handled losing you and my father in the same day.
- Korra: I am so sorry about what happened. [She leans in and hugs Asami]
- Asami: Thank you. I'm just glad I was able to forgive him.
- Korra: So, what now? Back to the dance floor?
- Asami: I'm kind of all danced out. Honestly, with everything that's happened the past few months, I could use a vacation.
- Korra: Let's do it! Let's go on a vacation, just the two of us. Anywhere you want.
- Asami: Really? Ok ... I've always wanted to see what the Spirit World is like.
- Korra: Sounds perfect.
[Cut to Korra and Asami walking towards the spirit portal. As they walk into the portal, they hold hands, and turn to look into each other's eyes. The Chinese characters for "The End" appear in the sky]