The Legend of Korra
The Legend of Korra is an American animated television series created by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. The series is a sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender. The story of the first season follows the next Avatar in the cycle, Korra, as she learns the art of airbending, having mastered the other three elements, while facing an anti-bender revolution by a group known as the Equalists. Later seasons see her dealing with political and spiritual changes in the world.
Book One: Air
Welcome to Republic City [1.01]
- Tenzin (off-screen narration): "Earth. Fire. Air. Water. When I was a boy, my father, Avatar Aang, told me the story of how he and his friends heroically ended the Hundred Year War. Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko transformed the Fire Nation colonies into the United Republic of Nations, a society where benders and non-benders from all over the world could live and thrive together in peace and harmony. They named the capital of this great land Republic City. Avatar Aang accomplished many remarkable things in his life, but sadly, his time in this world came to an end. And like the cycle of the seasons, the cycle of the Avatar began anew."
- Tonraq: The White Lotus has honored my family by coming. Thank you.
- Senna : Welcome.
- White Lotus Leader : We have investigated many claims, both here and in the ... Northern Tribe. All have turned out to be false.
- Senna: Then you should be happy to know your search has come to an end.
- White Lotus Leader : What makes you so sure your daughter is...the one?
- Senna : Korra, please come in here.
- [Korra enters by Earthbending the wall away]
- Korra : I'm the Avatar! You gotta deal with it!
- [After watching Korra face her Firebending test]
- Katara : She's strong.
- White Lotus Leader : She lacks restraint.
- Korra : Woo-hoo! Hey, why all the doom and gloom, people? We should be celebrating! Three elements down, one to go!
- Firebending Master : You're getting ahead of yourself as usual, Korra. We haven't decided if you passed your Firebending test yet.
- White Lotus Leader : And ever since you were a little girl, you've excelled at the physical side of bending and completely ignored the spiritual side. The Avatar must master both.
- Korra : I... haven't ignored it, it just doesn't come as easy to me. But that's why I should start training with Master Tenzin immediately. He's Mr. Spiritual!
- Korra : Naga! You should've seen it. I kicked some Firebender butt, and I passed!
- Korra: [over radio] I'm so happy to be here! Thank you, Republic City!
- Tenzin: [over radio] Alright, that's all the questions we... [Radio is turned off by Lieutenant]
- Lieutenant: Amon, how do you want to handle this?
- Amon: [staring at a giant map of the Avatar world] So, the Avatar has arrived early. It looks like we'll have to accelerate our plans. [he turns to face the Lieutenant]
A Leaf in the Wind [1.02]
- Tenzin: So my mother informed my that you've never been able to airbend before.
- Korra: Yeah, but I don't know why. The other elements came so easily to me, but every single time I've tried airbending [sticks out her tongue] nothing.
- Tenzin: It's perfectly alright, you just need to be patient. Often the element that is most difficult for the Avatar to master is the one most opposite to the Avatar's personality. For Aang, it was earthbending.
- Korra: Well, I'm about as opposite an airbender as you can get.
- Toza: Hey, what are you doing in my gym?
- Korra: Uh, I was just looking for a bathroom, and got lost.
- Toza: Ah, the old "I had to pee" excuse. You know, I'm sick and tired of you kids sneaking in without paying. I'm taking you to security.
- Korra': No, wait--
- Bolin: There you are. I've been looking everywhere for you. It's alright, Toza, she's with me.
- Korra: Yeah, I'm with him.
- Bolin: So, you see, we're together.
- Korra: Well not "together"-together. More like friends.
- Bolin: Right, friends. No, no, I didn't mean to imply-
- Korra: Oh, you implied it.
- Korra: I've been immersed in bending my entire life and I never learned how to move like that. It's like there's a whole new style here. Think you could show me a few tricks?
- Bolin: Ab-so-lutely.
- Mako: Right now? Come on, Bolin.
- Bolin: Just ignore him. Yeah, I can show you the basics. I'm just not sure how my Earthbending would translate to your Waterbending, but we'll figure it out.
- Korra: Won't be a problem. I'm actually a earthbender.
- Bolin: I'm sorry. No, no, I didn't mean to assume... cause I was just figuring, with your Water Tribe get-up, that you are a Water Tribe... gal
- Korra: No, you're right. I'm a waterbender and a firebender.
- Bolin: Hm, I'm very confused right now.
- Mako: You're the Avatar and I'm an idiot.
- Korra: Both are true.
- Bolin: No... way! The Avatar!
The Revelation [1.03]
- Amon: My quest for equality began many years ago. When I was a boy, my family and I lived on a small farm. We weren't rich and none of us were benders. This made us very easy targets for the Firebender who extorted my father. One day, my father confronted this man, but when he did that Firebender took my family from me. Then, he took my face. I've been forced to hide behind a mask ever since. As you know, the Avatar has recently arrived in Republic City. And if she were here, she would tell you that bending brings balance to the world, but she is wrong.The only thing bending has brought is suffering. It has been the cause of every war in every era, but that is about to change. I know that you all have been wondering "What is the Revelation?" You are about to get your answer. From the beginning of time, the spirits have acted as guardians of our world, and they have spoken to me. They said the Avatar has failed humanity, which is why the spirits have chosen me to usher in a new era of balance. They have granted me a power that will make equality a reality; the power to take a person's bending away, permanently.
- Amon: The era of bending is over. A new era of equality has begun.
- The Lieutenant: You benders need to understand: there's no place in the world for you anymore.
- [Korra Earthbends him into a wall]
- Korra: I wouldn't count us out just yet.
- Amon: Let her go; she's the perfect messenger to tell the city of my power.
The Voice in the Night [1.04]
- Hiroshi Sato: What do you think of my little operation here?
- Mako: It's very impressive Mr. Sato.
- Hiroshi Sato: Please, call me Hiroshi. So, I understand you're dirt-poor.
- Mako: Uh...
- Hiroshi Sato: Young man, it is nothing to be ashamed of. I too came from humble beginnings. Why, when I was your age I was a real shoe-shiner and all I had to my name was an idea: The Sato Mobile. Now I was fortunate enough to meet someone who believed in me and my work ethic. He gave me the money I needed to get my idea of the ground and I build the entire Future Industries empire from that one selfless loan.
- Asami Sato: Dad, stop bragging. Just tell Mako the good news.
- Mako: What good news?
- Hiroshi Sato: Well, my daughter passionately told me all about your hard-earned success in the Pro-Bending Arena, and about your team's current financial stumbling block. Now I'd hate to see you lose your chance at winning the championship, just because you're short a few yuans. That's why I'm going to sponsor the Fire Ferrets in the tournament.
- Mako: Are you serious?
- Asami Sato: He's serious. My dad is going to cover your ante for the championship pot.
- Mako: That... that is good news!
- Hiroshi Sato: There's just one catch; you all have to wear the Future Industries logo on your uniforms.
- Mako: I'll tattoo it on my chest if you want, sir!
- Hiroshi Sato: This is my daughter Asami.
- Asami: It's lovely to meet you. Mako told me so much about you.
- Korra: Really? Because he hasn't mentioned you at all. How did you two meet?
- Bolin: [oblivious to tension] Asami crashed into him on her moped.
- Tarrlok: Avatar Korra has bravely answered the call to action. With the two of us leading the charge, Republic City has nothing to fear from Amon and the Equalists.
- Journalist: Question for the Avatar: Amon remains at large. Why have you failed to locate him?
- Korra: You wanna know why? Because Amon is hiding in the shadows like a coward. [grabs the microphone] Amon, I challenge you to a duel. No task force, no chi blockers, just the two of us tonight at midnight on Avatar Aang Memorial Island. Let's cut to the chase and settle this thing, if you're man enough to face me.
- Amon: [to Korra] I received your message, young Avatar. [Amon moves his hands towards Korra. Korra prepares to have her bending taken away, but instead, Amon grabs her face] Our showdown, while inevitable, is premature. Although it would be the simplest thing for me to take away your bending right now, I won’t. You’d only become a martyr. Benders from every nation would rally behind your untimely demise. But I assure you, I have a plan. And I’m saving you for last. Then, you’ll get your duel, and I will destroy you.
The Spirit of Competition [1.5]
- Jinora: So, how's it going with the tall, dreamy Firebender-boy? You've been spending a lot of time together lately.
- Ikki: Oh yeah, tell us all about the magical romance.
- Korra: What? Listen to you two. I'm not interested in Mako or any romantic stuff. Besides he's all into that prissy, beautiful, elegant rich girl. But let's just pretend for a second I am interested in him; What would I do?
- Jinora: Ooh. I just read an historical saga where the heroine fell in love with the enemy general's son, who's supposed to marry the princess. You should do what she did.
- Korra: Tell me.
- Jinora: She rode a dragon into battle and burned down the entire country. Then she jumped into a volcano. It was so romantic.
- Korra: Eh?
- Ikki: No, no, no! The best way to win a boy's heart is to brew a love potion of rainbows and sunsets that makes true lovers sprout wings and fly to a magical castle in the sky, where they get married and eat clouds with spoons and use stars as ice cubes in their moonlight-punch. Forever and ever and ever!
- Korra: The volcano is starting to make more sense to me now. [a laugh is heard and Korra turns to see Pema] Oh, hey, Pema. How long where you standing there?
- Pema: Long enough.
- Tahno: Well, well, well, if it isn't the Fire Ferrets. Probending's saddest excuse for a team. Tell me, how'd a couple of amateurs like you luck their way into the tournament? Especially you, uh-vatar. You know, if you'd like to learn how a real pro bends, I could give you some private lessons.
- Korra: You wanna go toe to toe with me, pretty boy?
- Tahno: Go for it. I'll give you the first shot.
- Bolin: Korra, don't. He's just trying to bait you. If you hit him, we're out of the tournament.
- [Korra raises her hand making it seem like she's about to hit him square in the face. Suddenly, she whistles, causing Naga to burst through the window roaring right in Tahno's face. Startled and humiliated, Tahno quickly retreats]
- Bolin: I've never seen anyone rouse Tahno like that. You are one of a kind, Korra.
[Bolin gets hit directly in the stomach by an Earth discus, and throws up over the side of the ring]
- Shiro Shinobi: And Bolin loses his noodles. Literally. Which reminds me, this match is brought to you by our sponsor, Flameo Instant Noodles. Noodliest noodles in the United Republic.
And The Winner Is... [1.6]
- Tenzin: I've known Lin since we were children. She's always been... challenging.
- Korra: What did your father do to make her hate the Avatar so much?
- Tenzin: My father and Lin got along famously. I'm afraid her issues are... with me.
- Korra: Wait a second! It all makes sense now. You and Beifong, Beifong and you, you two were a couple!
- Tenzin: WHAT?! How- Where'd you get that idea?
- Korra: Ha! Your wife.
- Tenzin: Crimeny! I'll have to have a word with her.
- Korra: So, Pema stole you from Beifong. I'm surprised our "esteemed Chief of Police" didn't throw her in jail.
- Tenzin: Oh, she tried. Anyway, Pema didn't steal me, Lin and I had been growing apart for some time. We both had... different goals in life- Why am I even telling you this?! It all happened a long time ago and we've moved past it.
- Korra: Mmm, apparently Beifong hasn't.
- Tenzin: What do you mea-- Of course she has. Anyway, this is none of your business.
- Korra: See you at home, Mr. Heartbreaker! [laughs]
- Lin Beifong: I can't believe your sweet-tempered father was reincarnated into that girl. She's tough as nails.
- Tenzin: Reminds me of someone else I knew at that age. You two might get along if you would only give her a chance.
- Lin Beifong: Hmph.
- [As the Equalist begin attacking the Pro-Bending Arena]:
- Shiro Shinobi: Folks, there is some sort of electrical disturbance in the stands. Metalbender cops are dropping like bumbleflies. There appear to be masked members of the audience wielding strange devices on their hands. [an Equalist enters the booth]: One of them is in the booth with me right now, folks. He is leveling one of those glove devices at me now and I believe he is about to electrocute me. I am currently wetting my pants.
- [Amon and the Equalists appear in front of the Wolfbats]:
- Tahno: What's going on here, ref?
- Referee: I don't know!
- Tahno: [the Equalists walk towards them]: Alright. You want a piece of the Wolfbats? Here it comes! [Tahno and his teammates try to fend off the Equalists, but are effortlessly defeated, and the Equalists bind Tahno's arms, leaving him defenseless]: Wait, please don't do this! I'll give you the championship pot, I'll-I'll give you everything, just please don't take my bending!
- Amon: I believe I have your attention, benders of Republic City. So once again the Wolfbats are your Pro-Bending Champions. It seems fitting that your celebrate three bullies who cheated their way to victory, because every day you threaten and abuse your fellow non-bending citizens, just like the Wolfbats did to their opponents tonight. Those men were supposedly the best in the bending world and yet it took only a few moments for me to cleanse them of their impurity. Let this be a warning to all you benders out their; if any of you stand in my way, you will meet the same fate.
- [Korra falls through the arena roof, but Lin Beifong saves her life]:
- Lin Beifong: You alright?
- Korra: I'm fine, thanks to you.
- Lin Beifong: Don't mention it, kid. [Looks up at the fleeing Equalists]: Looks like we lost this one.
- Lin Beifong: I can't believe Amon did this. I played right into his hand.
- Tenzin: He played us all. Republic City is at war.
The Aftermath [1.07]
- Journalist: Is it true that Cabbage Corp is conspiring with the Equalists?
- Lin Beifong: The evidence points in that direction, but the investigation is ongoing. For the time being, we have frozen Mr. Gan-Lan's assets and are closing Cabbage Corp.
- Lau Gan-Lan: No, not my Cabbage Corp!
- Tahno: Hey, Korra. [He has bags under his eyes, his hair is a mess, and he's depressed]
- Korra: Tahno? [Sits down next to him] Listen, I know we're not exactly best friends, but I'm sorry Amon took your bending.
- Tahno: I've been to the best healers in the city. Whatever Amon did to me, it's permanent. You gotta get him for me. [Korra nods at him, as Tenzin, Lin, and Hiroshi Sato enter]
- Lin Beifong: Mr. Sato, if you remember anything else about what you saw during Amon's attack, be sure to let us know.
- Hiroshi Sato: I'm happy to help any way I can. I want these Equalists to pay for what they've done. [He exchanges nods with Korra before walking away]
- Tenzin: [To Tahno] We're ready for you now. [He and Lin walk away, and Tahno starts to follow them before turning back to Korra]
- Tahno: [Gives a slight wave] See ya around. [Cracks a smile] Uh-vatar. [He smirks slightly and walks away]
- Korra: I have to admit. I had you pegged wrong, I thought you were kinda prissy. No offense.
- Asami: It's alright. People usually assume that I'm Daddy's helpless little girl but I can handle myself. I mean I've been in self-defense classes since I was this high. My dad made sure I would always be able to protect myself.
- Korra: Smart guy.
- Tenzin: So you think Mr. Sato manufactured those gloves for the Equalists, then framed Cabbage Corp?
- Lin Beifong: That's a bold accusation. But what proof do you have?
- Korra: Well, I don't exactly have proof, but I know what I heard. Sato's up to something.
- Lin Beifong: He does have the means. And he has a motive.
- Tenzin: That's right.
- Korra: A motive? What is it?
- Tenzin: Twelve years ago, the Agni Kai Triad robbed Sato's mansion. A Firebender killed Sato's wife during the break-in.
- Korra: That's terrible.
- Tenzin: It was tragic. It is possible he's been harboring anti-bending sentiment all this time.
- Lin Beifong: Maybe we should look at Mr. Sato a little more closely.
- [After Lin has used seismic sense to scout Hiroshi's workshop]
- Lin Beifong: There's a tunnel beneath the workshop, running deep into the mountain-side.
- Asami: What? There's no tunnel!
- [Lin metalbends a hidden hatch, revealing a staircase]
- Bolin: [to Asami] Do you think your dad knows about this tunnel?
- Korra: Hiroshi, I knew you were a lying, no-good Equalist! Come out here and--
- Hiroshi Sato: And do what, young Avatar, face the wrath of your bending? No, I think I'll fight from inside here where my odds are a little more equal.
- Mako: Sponsoring our team, supporting the Avatar, it was all just a big cover.
- Hiroshi Sato: Yes, and the most difficult part was watching my daughter traipse around with a firebending street rat like you! [He and the Lieutenant approach them]
- Asami: Dad, stop! [Hiroshi turns to see her; sadly] Why?
- Hiroshi Sato: [Ashamed] Sweetie, I wanted to keep you out of this for as long as I could, but now that you know the truth, please forgive me. These people, these benders, they took away your mother, the love of my life. They’ve ruined the world. But with Amon we can fix it and build a perfect world together. We can help people like us, everywhere. [Takes off one of his gloves and offers it to her] Join me, Asami. [Asami hesitates then grabs the glove and puts it on]
- Mako: No.
- Asami: I love you, Dad. [She electrocutes her father, knocking him out, and then easily defeats the Lieutenant]
- Lin Beifong: My Metalbenders are on their way to Amon and it's all my fault. Tarrlok's right. I've failed as chief. First thing in the morning, I'm handing in my resignation.
- Tenzin: No! You can't give up like this.
- Lin Beifong: I'm not giving up. I'm gonna find my officers and take Amon down. But I'm gonna do it my way: Outside the law.
- Mako: [To Korra] I'm sorry I didn't believe you. But Asami's dad being an Equalist is not an easy thing to believe. Even now.
- Korra: I know. I'm sorry this whole thing happened.
- Mako: So, does your offer to stay on Air Temple Island still stand?
- Korra: Of course it does. And Asami's welcome too.
- Mako: Thank you so much.
- Korra: After everything she's been through, she's gonna need you, Mako. [Mako walks up to a saddened Asami and embraces her]
When Extremes Meet [1.08]
- Ikki: And now for the grand tour! The Flying Bison sleeps in those caves down there. And that's the temple grandpa Aang built. And that's the green house that we grow the vegetables we eat.
- Bolin: I have a couple of questions. Is this an all vegetarian island? Is that where you train Airbending? Do we have to wear Air Acolyte clothes? Do we each get our own Sky Bison, and final question, how many trees are on this island?
- Ikki: Yes, yes, no, no, ten-thousand-five-hundred-fifty-two.
- Tenzin: Tarrlok, I don't know what you did to get Chief Saikhan in your pocket, but I highly doubt it was legal.
- Tarrlok: Oh, Tenzin, always the conspiracy theorist. Did you ever consider Saikhan simply recognizes my talents and wants what is best for this city? [Tenzin scoffs] Well, Avatar Korra. Long time no see. Now that your little Pro-Bending distractions are over, I look forward to your return to my taskforce.
- Korra: Forget it. There’s no way I’m rejoining your vanity project.
- Tarrlok: That is unfortunate to hear, but I’m sure you’ll come to your senses, as you have in the past.
- Korra: Don't hold your breath, bub. You know, Tenzin's been right about you all along. You played me, you played Beifong, and now you're playing the new Chief, too. Well, I got news for you. You need me, but I don't need you. I'm the Avatar.
- Tarrlok: You're not, in fact, the Avatar. You're merely a half-baked Avatar in training. Which reminds me, how is your airbending going? Made any significant progress? [Korra doesn't answer, but looks at Tarrlok with a mix of anger and sadness on her face.] I didn't think so. [Tarrlok begins to walk away] If you will not be part of my task force, then you had best stay out of my way!
- Korra: [to Saikhan] You’re officially the worst Chief of Police ever!
- Tenzin: Calm down Korra, I’ll get this sorted out. We just need to be patient. [to Saikhan] But you really are the worst. Ever.
- [Tarrlok is in his office with the council page, looking at papers. A window opens and the papers get blown over the office, Korra is standing in the window]
- Korra: You and I need to talk! [Steps into the office]
- Tarrlok: [To the council page] Are any of the other council members here?
- Council Page: I believe everyone has gone home for the night.
- Tarrlok: Then you should do the same.
- Council Page: Are you sure, sir?
- Tarrlok: Leave us. [council page leaves] You obviously have something on your mind? Spit it out.
- Korra: Don't you see? You're doing exactly what Amon says is wrong with benders; you are using your powers to oppress and intimidate people.
- Tarrlok: And you don't?
- Korra: Of... of course not!
- Tarrlok: Isn't that what you came here to do; intimidate me into releasing your friends? [Korra glares at him]] See, that's what I admire about you, Korra: Your willingness to go to extremes in order to get what you want. It is a quality we both share.
- Korra: You and I are nothing alike!
- Tarrlok: Look, I'll make you a deal: you fall in line and do what I say, and I'll release your friends.
- Korra: That's why you arrested them? To get to me?
- Tarrlok: I need your answer.
- Korra: No. You may be able to manipulate Chief Saikhan into following you, but it won't work on me.
- Tarrlok: [turns away angrily towards the direction of his waterfall] You will regret that decision.
- Korra: You need to be stopped! You're just as bad as Amon.
- Tarrlok: [Widens eyes with anger] I've tried to work with you Korra, but you've made that impossible. [Uses his Waterbending to attack Korra]
- Korra: [after trashing Tarrlok] Still think I’m a half-baked Avatar?
- Tarrlok: You're in my way Avatar, and you need to be removed!
- Korra: [being bloodbent by Tarrlok] You're... a... Bloodbender?!
- Tarrlok: Very observant.
- Korra: It's not a full moon... how... how are you doing this?!
- Tarrlok: They're a lot of things you don't know about me. [Throws Korra across the room knocking her unconscious]
Out of the Past [1.09]
- Toph Beifong: What are you doing here, Aang? I told you, I have this under control.
- Aang: Under normal circumstances I wouldn't get involved, but if what those victims said is true, we’re not dealing with a normal criminal.
- Toph Beifong: Fine, follow me, Twinkletoes.
- Aang: Toph, I'm 40 years old. You think you can stop with the nicknames?
- Toph Beifong: 'Fraid not.
- Mako: [To an Equalist he's holding] I'll ask you one more time! [Lifts him in the air with one hand and prepares a fire blast with the other] Where is she?!
- Equalist: We don’t have the Avatar. And the Equalists didn't attack City Hall. Tarrlok's lying.
- Mako: What?
- Lin Beifong: I scanned the entire prison. Korra's not here.
- Mako: Why would Tarrlok make up a story about getting attacked?
- Tenzin: Because he has Korra. He fooled us all.
- [after Earthbending a rockslide]
- Bolin: Try to chi-block that, fools!
- [at Yakone’s trial]
- Sokka: In my years I've encountered people born with rare and unique bending abilities. I once bested a man with my trusty boomerang who was able to Firebend with his mind. Why, even Metalbending was considered impossible for all of history until our esteemed Chief of Police, Toph Beifong, singlehandedly developed the skill. The overwhelming amount of testimony and evidence has convinced this council that Yakone is one of these unique benders and he exploited his ability to commit these heinous crimes. We find Yakone guilty of all charges and sentence him to life in prison.
[Sokka hits his gavel against the table. Yakone's lawyer crumples up a piece of paper in frustration. Yakone stands up, smiles, and his eyes widen. Sokka screams in pain as Yakone uses his bloodbending on the entire United Republic Council. Toph tries to metalbend a cable to restrain Yakone, but his grip extends to her and the rest of the courtroom. Yakone laughs as Aang, being bloodbent in the bench behind him, tries to grab at the criminal. Cut back to Korra in her prison.]
- Tenzin: Thank you all for being here under short noticed.
- Lin: (Looks at Chief Saikan) [flatly] Chief.
- Saikhan: (Looks at Lin) [flatly] Lin.
- Tarrlok: (Tarrlok comes in) Have you news of Avatar Korra?
- Tenzin: We do. [points his finger at him] You kidnapped her, Tarrlok!
- Tarrlok: I am shocked you would accused me of such evil act. I already explain. Chi blockers attacked us and took her!
- Tenzin: But there were no Chi blockers here last night! You planted the evidence, didn't you?
- Tarrlok: That is a ridiculous accusation.
- Council Page: It's true! He took her! I was here when Avatar Korra arrived last night but... Councilmen Tarrlok ordered me to leave. I was on my way out when I saw her bring her down to the garage.
[Shows the end of "When Extremes meet, from the Page's point of view.]
- Tarrlok: Say goodbye to Republic city, Avatar Korra. You'll never see it again! [Korra breathes fire on Tarrlok when he shuts the door while Page looks on and it flashes back to the present day.]
- Tarrlok: That is nonsense! Everyone knows you're nothing but a squeaky voice liar!
- Lin: Why did you wait until now to fess up.
- Council Page: I was terrified to tell because... Because Tarrlok is a Bloodbender! He bloodbent Avatar Korra!
- Tenzin: [Everyone gasps as Tenzin angrily looks at Tarrlok] Don't make this worse on yourself. Tell us where you have Korra.
[Tenzin and Lin make ready to attack Tarrlok. Tarrlok's eyes widen as he bloodbends everyone in the room, knocking them unconscious. He flees the scene.]
- Lin: (To Tenzin) Wake up! (Slaps him in the face which wakes him up)
- Bolin: Man, I had this awful dream that Korra was taken by this evil bloodbender. So weird.
- Asami: Bolin, that really happened. He knocked us out.
- Bolin: Are you serious? where is he? is he here right now?
- Saikhan: Tarrlok is gone. I'll alert the whole force
- Lin: We've been only been out for a while. But we can still pick up Tarrlok's trail
- Tenzin: It could lead us to Korra! Let's go. (They left)
[Korra, in her cage, meditates once more. Flashback to Yakone's trial. Aang, Sokka, Toph, and the rest of the courtroom are still in the grips of Yakone's bloodbending. Yakone uses his bloodbending to force Toph to grab the keys to his handcuffs. Levitating the chief of police over to him, he forces her to unlock his handcuffs, freeing him. Using his bloodbending, Yakone knocks everyone out, except for Aang, who is able to stay awake. Yakone levitates Aang into the air.]
- Aang: [strained] Yakone! You won't get away with this!
- Yakone: [laughs] Republic City's mine, Avatar. I'll be back one day to claim it.
[Yakone throws Aang aside, knocking him out. Yakone runs outside, where he gets into an ostrich-horse-drawn carriage. Back in the courtroom, the wind swirls around Aang as he enters the Avatar State and regains consciousness. Aang bursts out of the courtroom atop an Air Scooter and pursues Yakone. Yakone spots Aang next to him, and the Avatar uses airbending to cut the reins of the carriage, freeing the ostrich-horse and crashing the carriage. Aang circles the carriage, thinking that Yakone has been taken care of. Yakone pops out of the carriage, and bloodbends the Avatar once again, knocking him to the ground.]
- Yakone: This time I'm gonna put you to sleep, for good!
[Aang is levitated into the air, with Yakone using his bloodbending to contort the Avatar's body into painful positions in an attempt to kill him. Aang enters the Avatar State, neutralizing the effects of Yakone's bloodbending. Aang traps Yakone using his earthbending and puts his hands on the bloodbender's forehead and chest.]
- Aang: I'm taking away your bending ... for good!
[Yakone screams in fear as Aang enters the Avatar State, using his energybending to remove Yakone's bending abilities. Aang steps back, exhausted.]
- Aang: It's over.
Cut back to Korra in the present]
- Korra: Aang ... this whole time, you were trying to warn me about Tarrlok. [Tarrlok enters the basement.]
- Tarrlok: [furiously] My life is a disaster now, thanks to you!
- Korra: So your little bloodbending secret's out? [Tarrlok growls in anger] And I know how you bloodbent me without a full moon: you're Yakone's son!
- Tarrlok: [Pause] I was his son, but in order to win Republic City, I had to become someone else. My father failed because he tried to rule the city from its rotten underbelly. My plan was perfect. I was to be the city's savior. But you, you ruined everything!
- Korra: Tarrlok, the jig is up, and you have nowhere to go.
- Tarrlok: Oh no. No, I'll escape, and start a new life. And you're coming as my hostage.
- Korra: [pounding on the door of the box] You'll never get away with this!
- [Tarrlok is walking up the stairs and is greeted by Amon, the Lieutenant, and 3 other Equalists]
- Tarrlok: Amon! [Korra hears him and gasps]
- Amon: It is time for you to be equalized.
- Tarrlok: You fool. You've never faced bending like mine.
- [Tarrlok easily bloodbends the Lieutenant and the 3 other Equalists into submission, but Amon, seemingly unaffected by it, walks towards him. A surprised Tarrlok tries harder to bloodbend Amon, but after struggling for a few seconds, he easily overcomes it.]
- Tarrlok: What? What are you?
- Amon: I am the solution. [Amon subdues Tarrlok and takes his bending away. Korra hears Tarrlok scream as it happens, and the former bloodbender falls to the floor. The Lieutenant and the other Equalists stand up as Amon picks Tarrlok up off the floor.] I'll take care of him. You four retrieve the Avatar. Do not underestimate her. Electricute the box to knock her out before you open it.
- Lieutenant: My pleasure.
[Korra hears the Lieutenant coming down the stairs. She looks at the bars above her, then down at her armbands. The Lieutenant approaches the box]
- Lieutenant: It's payback time! [Korra screams in fake pain as she suspends herself from the bars by her armband, protecting her from the charge. The Lieutenant shocks the box until the lightbulb in the lamp above bursts. The Equalists hear a thud from inside the box] Open the box. [The Equalists opens the box.] Tie her up. [Korra attacks them with firebending and earthbending. She escapes past them]
[Outside, Amon puts Tarrlok in the back of a truck. The door to the cabin bursts open as Korra jumps out into the open. She and Amon lock eyes. Amon turns to face her. Korra, after a moment's hesitation, bends the snow around her into icicles, which Amon avoids. Korra runs away and slides down a nearby hill. Amon halts his pursuit. The Lieutenant appears next to him.]
- Amon: I thought I told you not to underestimate her.
Turning the Tides [1.10]
- [Lin, Tenzin, Pema, Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo are on Oogi, while being chased by Equalist airships]
- Lin Beifong: They're gaining on us!
- Tenzin Faster, Oogi!
- [A net is launched at them on a rope from one of the airships. Lin uses one of her cables to shred it then ties the other around the rope. She looks back at the worried airbender family with sorrow, before looking away and back at them.]
- Lin Beifong: [Determined] Whatever happens to me, don't turn back!
- Tenzin: Lin, what are you doing?!
- [Lin jumps off of Oogi and destroys one of the airships. She tries to do the same to the other but Equalists ambush her and render her unconscious. The airship turns around to return to Air Temple Island. The family looks back at the sight of Lin's sacrifice with shock.]
- Meelo: That lady is my hero.
- Tenzin: [Sadly] Yes. She is.
- Amon: Tell me where the Avatar is and I'll let you keep your bending.
- Lin: I won't tell you anything you monster!
- Amon: Very well!
[Amon stands behind Lin, ready to take her bending away. Lin closes her eyes to prepare herself. Amon touches his hand to her forehead, robbing her of her bending abilities. Lin falls forward and lands on the ground]
Skeletons in the Closet [1.11]
- Hiroshi Sato: It is a glorious day. my Equalist brothers and sisters. Amon has torn down the tyrannical bending goverment. He has declared bending illegal. And he has the Avatar on the run. Our great leader has a vision for the future. One day soon, bending will no longer exist and we will live in a world where everyone is finally equal. The United Forces are on the way right now to try and stop that dream but we will prevail!
- Yakone: Tarrlok, your turn.
- Tarrlok: No, I won't do it.
- Yakone: Bloodbend your brother, Tarrlok.
- Tarrlok: But I'd feel awful. I don't want to do that to anyone. I never want to bloodbend again.
- Yakone: You're a disgrace, a weakling. I'll teach you a lesson, you insubordinate-
- Noatak: [bloodbends Yakone] Stay away from him.
- Yakone: How dare you bloodbend me?
- Noatak: What are you going to do about it? You're the weak one. You always say bloodbending is the most powerfull thing in the world, but it isn't. The Avatar is. He took your bending away. What could be more powerfull than that?
- Yakone: I made you what you are. You're mine.
- Noatak: We're your sons, not your tools of revenge. [to Tarrlok] Lets go. We can run away from him, forever.
- Tarrlok: Run away? But what about mom? We can't just leave her.
- Noatak: He was right about you. You are a weakling.
- Korra: That's one of the saddest stories I've ever heard.
- Tarrlok: Avatar Korra. I am truly sorry for all that I've done to you. I thought I was better than my father, but his ghost still shaped me. I became a soldier of revenge, just like he wanted me to be. And so did my brother. The revolution may be built on a lie, but I think Amon truly believes bending is the source of all evil in the world.
- Korra: How in the world do we beat him?
- Mako: We can't. Any attack we throw at him, he'll redirect with his mind. That's how he's been able to challenge any bender.
- Korra: So much for our ambush. If we stay here, we're toast. But there's another way to beat him.
- Mako: How?
- Korra: This whole time Amon has been one step ahead of us, but finally we have the advantage. We know the truth about him. If we expose him as a bender in front of all his supporters.
- Mako: At the rally.
- Korra: We could take away his true power!
- Mako: And undermine this whole revolution!
- Korra: [to Tarrlok] Thank you for your help. [to Mako] We can't just leave him here.
- Tarrlok: Go. Amon can't know anyone spoke with me. Defeat him. Put an end to this sad story.
- [at the Equalist Victory Rally]
- Amon: When I was a boy, a Firebender struck down my entire family and left me scarred. That tragic event began my quest to equalize the world.
- Korra: That's a lie, Amon! Or should I call you Noatak?
- The Lieutenant: You want her taken out?
- Amon: No. Everyone, calm down. We have nothing to fear from the Avatar. Let's hear what she has to say.
- Korra: Amon has been lying to you. The Spirits didn't give him the power to take people's bending away. He used bloodbending to do it. Amon is a Waterbender!
- The Lieutenant: What is this nonsense?
- Amon: You're desperate Avatar, making up stories about me as a pathetic last resort.
- Korra: Your family wasn't killed by a Firebender. His father was Yakone and his brother is Councilman Tarrlok.
- Amon: An amusing tale, but I will show you the truth.
- [Amon takes off his masked, revealing his scarred face]
- Amon: This is what a Firebender did to me.
- Korra: What!?
- Equalist supporter: The Avatar is lying.
- Korra: I'm telling you, he's a Waterbender. [to Mako] They don't believe me. It didn't work.
- Korra: Amon, let them go.
- Amon: You're welcome to come down here and try to stop me.
- The Lieutenant: Amon! Everything the Avatar said is true, isn't it? I just saw you bloodbend her. [takes of his mask and crushes the in-built goggles] You traitor! I dedicated my life to you!
- [the lieutenant attacks Amon, but is easily stopped by his bloodbending]
- Amon: You served me well, lieutenant.
- [Tarrlok and Noatak are fleeing Republic City on a motor boat, Noatak is driving]
- Amon/Noatak: The two of us together again! There's nothing we can't do.
- Tarrlok: Yes, Noatak.
- Amon/Noatak: Noatak. [Smiles] I'd almost forgotten the sound of my own name.
- [Tarrlok looks at the Shock gloves, then at Noatak, he then puts one of the gloves on. He then unscrews the fuel tank lid and positions the golve above it.]
- Tarrlok: It will be just like the good old days. [Noatak smiles with a tear in his eye. Tarrlok then ignites the fuel, exploding the boat and killing them both]
- Korra: Not now Tenzin. I just wanna be left alone.
- Aang: But you called me here.
[Korra looks up and sees Aang, not Tenzin, standing beside her.]
- Korra: Aang.
- Aang: You have finally connected with your spiritual self.
- Korra: How?
- Aang: When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
[Behind Aang, the spirits of the past Avatars appear to Korra. Korra closes her eyes as Aang enters the Avatar State and restores Korra's bending. The past Avatars fade away. Korra opens her eyes, which are now glowing white. She has unlocked her ability to enter the Avatar State. Korra rises into the air using airbending, and unleashes waves of airbending, firebending, and earthbending, then uses waterbending to crash waves against the cliff. Korra lowers herself to the ground, and exits the Avatar State. She notices Mako behind her. He smiles at her. She runs to hug him.]
- Korra: I love you, too. [Mako and Korra kiss.]
[Later, at the Avatar Temple, Lin kneels on one knee in front of Korra. Korra touches her hands to Lin's forehead and upper chest, and she enters the Avatar State, restoring Lin's bending.] Lin demonstrates her newly-restored earthbending by levitating the rocks surrounding the temple. She lowers the rocks.]
- Lin: Thank you.
[Korra bows to Lin]
- Tenzin: I am so proud of you, Avatar Korra.
Book Two: Spirits
Rebel Spirit [2.01]
- [Korra has just won an air scooter race, using the Avatar State]
- Ikki: No fair. You can't go into the Avatar State to win.
- Korra: [blows a raspberry]
- Tenzin: You did what? The Avatar State is not to be used as a booster rocket. You are toying with a dangerous power that you obviously do not appreciate.
- Korra: It's the "Avatar State," and I'm the Avatar. Who appreciates it more than me?
- Tenzin: Clearly, you need more training to grasp the depths of your spiritual connections, not to mention that you're still a long way from mastering airbending.
- Korra: I have mastered airbending. Punch, punch, punch! [Throws three rapid air punches] See? Mastered.
- Bumi: Looks pretty good to me.
- Tenzin: [sighs] Is it too late for you to un-retire from the United Forces?
- Bumi: The paperwork's gone through, little brother. From now on, it's 24/7 Bumi time!
- Tenzin: You've mastered Korra-style airbending. Now you need to master real airbending. Hopefully, our visit to all of the Air Temples will give you the inspiration you need to delve more deeply into your studies.
- Jinora: Can we see where grandpa Aang was born?
- Meelo: How many lemurs can I have?
- Ikki: I want to get tattoos, but instead of arrows, I want lightning bolts.
- Jinora: You can't get lightning bolts. That doesn't make any sense.
- Ikki: You don't make any sense!
- Meelo: Fight, fight, fight!
- Tenzin: No one's fighting. We're going to have a wonderful time. [groans] Now that the President is in office and I'm not needed on the Council, I can finally relax with my family and give Korra the attention she needs.
- Korra: Great. More attention.
- Bumi: [laughs] Relax? I'd pay money to see that. Maybe I'll tag along just to see "vacation Tenzin."
- Tenzin: You're not invited.
- Jinora: We missed you, aunt Kya.
- Kya: Oh, I missed you too. Your father doesn't bring you to visit nearly enough. He's probably scared I'll beat him up like when we were kids.
- Tenzin: I'm not scared of you... Anymore.
- Bumi: Looks like someone's trying to take your place as the Avatar's stick-in-the-mud mentor.
- Kya: Bumi, don't pick on Tenzin. You know he's always been sensitive.
- Tenzin: I'm not sensitive!
- [Kya and Bumi both laugh]
- Bolin: [trying to flirt with Eska] Hey, I'm Bolin. I'm a friend of Korra's. You're Eska, right? Wow, i'm just-- I'm loving these robes. [Eska hisses] So you are from the north, right? Cool. That's like- You know, that's, like, my favorite direction.
- Desna: I think he is trying to establish some kind of bond with you based on your geographic point of origin.
- Eska: Perhaps it would be interesting you spend time with a person whose ways are so rough and uncultured. [to Bolin] You amuse me. I will make you mine.
- Bolin: You mean like a boyfriend Or- or like a slave?
- Eska: Yes. [grabs Bolin by the collar] Win me prizes.
The Southern Lights [2.02]
- Korra: So once we get to the South pole, then what happens?
- Unalaq: You will open an ancient spirit portal.
- Korra: I'm sorry. What now?
- Unalaq: At the South pole, there is a portal that connects our world to the spirit world. But it has long been closed.
- Korra: And that's why the evil spirits are attacking?
- Unalaq: There are no evil spirits. There is light and dark in them all. But when they're unbalanced, the darkness takes over. If you can open the portal in time, balance will be restored.
- Korra: What do you mean "in time"?
- Unalaq: There's a reason the glacier spirits festival ends on the winter solstice. That's when the spirit world and the physical world are close together. Only then can the Avatar open the portal.
- Korra: The winter solstice is tomorrow.
- Unalaq: Exactly. And we can't afford to wait another year.
- Unalaq: The spirits are angry because he's here. Haven't you ever wondered how your father ended up in the South Pole? Why he's never taken you to visit his homeland in the North?
- Tonraq: Unalaq, this is not the time.
- Unalaq: You're right. You should have told her a long time ago.
- Korra: Told me what?
- Tonraq: I left the North pole because... I was banished.
- Korra: You were banished from the North? Why?
- Tonraq: Because I almost destroyed the entire tribe. Twenty years ago, I was a general in the Northern water tribe, sworn to protect my people.
- Young Unalaq: Brother, we're being attacked.
- Tonraq:I drove them out of the city and deep into the frozen tundra. We tracked them deep into an ancient forest. Many believed this forest was the home to spirits, and the barbarians retreated there because they thought wouldn't attack on such hallowed grounds. They thought wrong. We captured the barbarians, but in the process, we destroyed the forest. I didn't realize the consequences of what I had done. By destroying the forest, I unknowingly let loose angry spirits. They threatened to destroy everything. The entire city. Unalaq was able to guide the spirits back to the forest, but by then, the damage had been done. For being the cause of so much devastation, my father banished me from the Northern water tribe in shame. That's when I came to the South and started a new life.
- Bolin: Whoa. So you were supposed to be chief. Then he became chief. No wonder you guys don't like each other.
- Tonraq: You don't even know if what Unalaq says is true.
- Unalaq: You want proof? Look to the sky. Where I'm from, the spirits are at peace, and they light up the dark.
- Korra: The Northern lights.
- Unalaq: Yes. There used to be lights in the South as well. But during the Hundred Year War, the South was thrown out of balance, and the lights disappeared. When the war ended, the North helped to rebuild physically as a nation. But we have not rebuilt spiritually. Now the spirits no longer dance in your skies. Instead, they rampage in the Everstorm.
Civil Wars Part 1 [2.03]
- Tonraq: Thank you for coming, everyone. I know these last few days have been very troubling.
- Varrick: Troubling? Troubling is when I get that itchy rash that won't go away, and Zhu Li's not around to scratch it. This is shocking. Nay, sickening! But these kale cookies? Opposite. Remind me to get the recipe later.
- Tonraq: What's your point, Varrick?
- Varrick: My point is, Unalaq's already booted our chieftains out of their palace. How long before he starts telling us what kind of cookies we can eat?
- Zhu Li: Probably a couple of days.
- Varrick: Rhetorical question, Zhu Li. You gotta keep up. Not to mention I've got a cargo ship full of Halibut that's rotting, thanks to this harbor lockdown. Who wants to buy a ship full of stinking fish? Seriously, it's not rhetorical. I need to sell these fish.
- Korra: Chief Unalaq is here to help the South. He wants to show us how to restore balance with the spirits so they'll stop attacking.
- Varrick: The only spirit I'm interested in restoring is our spirit of independence! Am I right, people?
- [The Southerners shout in agreement]
- Korra: All Unalaq is trying to do is make our tribes unified again.
- Varrick: No, he wants control of our wealth. My wealth. And I like my wealth. If Unalaq doesn't pull his forces out, then we have no choice but to fight for our freedom!
- [The Southerners shout in agreement]
- Korra:´You want to start a war? Are you crazy?
- Tonraq: Unalaq started this, not us. [sighs] I'm sorry. Maybe you could speak with your Uncle. Tell him how frustrated we all are. He'll listen to what the Avatar has to say. Do it for me.
- Korra: I'll do it for the tribe.
- Bolin: Mako! I'm so happy to see you!
- Mako: Uh, you all right, bro?
- Bolin: No! No, I'm not all right! I can't take anymore. Listen, I don't want to live in icy bliss with Eska! [sobbing] Don't make me! Oh, please, please don't make me.
- Mako: Uh, hey, if you're that unhappy, just break up with her.
- Bolin: Break up with her? You can do that?
- Mako: Yeah. Guys do it all the time.
- Bolin: How?
- Mako: Just tell her you're not that into her anymore.
- Bolin: Oh, no, no, I don't think she'd like that.
- Mako: Ending a relationship is kind of like pulling off a bloodsucking leech. You just gotta rip it off and get it over with. You'll feel a lot better afterwards. Trust me.
- Bolin: Thanks, Mako. I'm lucky you're so good at breaking girls' hearts. [laughs] Korra better watch out.
- Kya: [while healing Bumi] I told you those rocks were slippery. You're lucky you didn't kill yourself.
- Bumi: You done with the lecture, mom?
- Kya: Oh, grow up. You haven't changed one bit since we were kids. You're still trying to prove you can do everything a bender can. Well, you can't. Deal with t.
- Bumi: And you're not our mother. You don't get to tell me what I can and can't do. Deal with that.
- Kya: [Kya dumps the water on Bumi's head] Good luck healing yourself with your special non-bending powers.
- Bumi: Hey, back me up here, Tenzin.
- Tenzin: Kya's right. You're the oldest of us, but you always acted like the youngest. I had to become the responsible one.
- Kya: You think you're the responsible one? Where were you after dad died and mom was all alone? Because I was the only one who packed up and moved my whole life to be with her.
- Tenzin: Sure, after years of flitting around the world, trying to find yourself. It was time for you to settle down somewhere. You two have no idea how it feels to have the future of an entire culture on your shoulders.
- Bumi: Oh, boo-hoo. Must've been real hard for you, flying around the world with dad, riding elephant-koi all day.
- Tenzin: Oh, so that's what this is all about.
- Kya: That's what it's always been about. You think you're some savior who has to carry on dad's legacy.
- Tenzin: Who else is going to do it?
- Kya: How about all of us?
- Bumi: Yeah, we're Aang's kids too.
- Kya: We never should have come on this vacation.
- Bumi: I couldn't agree more.
- Tenzin: Well, I didn't want you to come in the first place. I can't be around you two right now. Go back to the temple and see if Ikki returned. I'll keep looking out here.
- Bumi: Fine.
- Kya: Fine.
- Korra: Is it okay if I come in?
- Senna: Of course. We heard what happened. Are you okay?
- Korra: [hugs her father I'm so glad you weren't there. I don't know what I would have done.
- Tonraq: I had no idea how far Varrick was willing to go. My brother and I have our differences, but I would never attack him.
- Korra: [crying] I'm sorry for thinking you had anything to do with the rebels, and for all the pain I've caused you and Mom.
- Tonraq: I'm the one who should apologize. After I saw the southern lights return, I was so proud of you. I never should have held you back.
- Senna: When your father and I found each other, all we wanted was to live a simple life and raise a family. But then we discovered you were the Avatar, and simple was over. We knew one day the world would need you, and you wouldn't need us anymore.
- Korra: Mom, Dad, of course I still need you.
[Unalaq enters the house]
- Tonraq: We weren't expecting you.
- Unalaq: [Four soldiers enter the house] Tonraq, Senna, you are under arrest and will stand trial.
- Tonraq: Trial? For what?
- Unalaq: For conspiring to assassinate me.
Civil Wars Part 2 [2.04]
- Asami: Where's Varrick? We should've closed our deal an hour ago.
- Bolin: Would you relax? This place is great. And the best part about it? Eska doesn't know I'm here.
- [Eska and Desna enter, along with a few Water Tribe soldiers]
- Bolin: Eeyah. I wasn't hiding. Hey, hey-hey, hey.
- Eska: I'm not on the hunt for you. Currently.
- Desna: We search for varrick. Our father wishes him to stand trial.
- Asami: What did he do?
- Eska': He is a traitor to the water tribe, along with our aunt and uncle.
- Asami: What?
- Mako: Korra's parents were arrested?
- Desna: Yes. Your powers of deduction are impressive.
- Bolin: Yeah, he's a cop.
- Water Tribe soldier: Varrick's not here.
- Eska: Very well. Desna, let us continue our search elsewhere. [to Bolin] Boyfriend! Bow to me when I exit.
- Bolin: Yes, yes, my sweet koala-otter.
- Eska: You are so cute when you grovel.
- Ikki: Juniper Lightning Bug, paws off the table! This is going to be a civilized breakfast. Daddy always says a blessing before we eat, so be quiet and listen up! We are thankful for this super yummy food and for being the best-est new friends in the world. But we are most thankful because Meelo and Jinora aren't here because they stink. [notices Tenin entering] Oh! Hi, daddy. I guess you found me. Do I have to go now?
- Tenzin: Actually, is there room for one more?
- Ikki: Uh, sure. You can sit next to Blueberry Spicehead.
- Tenzin: Nice to meet you, blueberry spicehead.
- Ikki: [pointing out all the other sky bison] And that's Princess Rainbow, and that's Twinkle Starchild. And that's Juniper Lightning Bug. They're my new brothers and sisters.
- Tenzin: New ones, huh? Can they be my new brothers and sisters too?
- Ikki:Maybe, but only if they say it's okay. [holds her head to the baby sky bison] Uh-huh, uh-huh. No, no, he's nice. [to Tenzin]] They say it's okay.
- [Korra has just ambushed judge Hotah, the judge at her parent's trial]
- Hotah: What do you want?
- Korra: It's not about what I want. It's about what Naga wants. And she'd like you to let my father out of prison.
- Hotah: I... I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do. I was just following Unalaq's orders.
- Korra: What are you talking about?
- Hotah: I... I've said too much.
- Korra: [grabs judge Hotah and holds his head in Naga's mouth] Unless you wanna be Naga's afternoon snack, you better keep talking.
- Hotah: I... I've worked for your uncle for years! He said he needed everyone to think the trial was fair.
- Korra:So Unalaq told you what to say?
- Hotah: Yes! Every word.
- Korra: Then why did he have you free my mother and change your sentence?
- Hotah: He's trying to keep you on his side. But he also wants your father out of the way. Just like when he got your father banished.
- Korra: What do you mean "he got my father banished"?
- Hotah: Nothing!
- Korra: [furious] Keep talking.
The Sting [2.06]
- [A group of Fire Sages have found an unconscious Korra washed up on the shore. Korra wakes up]:
- Korra: Get away from me! [Airbends a blast of air, then collapses due to exhaustion]
- Fire Sage: It's okay, we're here to help you, Avatar Korra
- Korra: Who's... Who's Avatar Korra? [The sages look shocked]
- Fire Sage: [concerned] What happened to you? How did you end up on our island?
- Korra: I don't know. I - I don't remember anything ... [Korra faints]
Beginnings Part 1 [2.07]
- Korra: Who are you?
- Avatar Spirit: I am you.
- Korra: Who am I?
- Avatar Spirit: [Transforms into Aang] You are the Avatar.
- Korra: I don't know what that is.
- Avatar Spirit: [Transforms into Roku] In order to remember, you must regain your connnection with your Avatar Spirit. [Transforms into Kyoshi] If you don't, darkness will engulf the world. You will die, and our era will end.
- Korra: How do I regain my connection?
- Avatar Spirit: [Transforms into Kuruk] Go back, return to the beginning, find Raava.
- Korra: [To Wan] Are you Raava?
- Wan: No, but I can help you find her. My name is Wan. And I will show you how I became the first Avatar.
- Aye-Aye Spirit: You are not welcome into my oasis, human!
- Wan: Please, help me. I'm starving and I haven't slept all night.
- Aye-Aye Spirit: Not my problem!
- Wan: [shoots fire in front of the Aye-Aye Spirit] Let me pass!
- Aye-Aye Spirit: [Indignant] You dare use fire against me?! [he disappears, reappearing behind Wan, who he throws into a nearby bush] Now be gone with you!
- Wan: [to Raava and Vaatu] Stop, or you'll destroy everything!
- Raava: This doesn't concern you, human!
- Wan: It does when the lives of spirits and animals are in danger!
- Vaatu: If you are a friend to the spirits, then use your fire to help me break free!
- Raava: Don't involve the human! This is between us!
- Vaatu: [frantically] Please! Save me! She has tormented me for ten thousand years!
- Wan: Ten thousand years? [attacking Raava] Let him go!
[Wan weakens Raava's grip on Vaatu. Raava swats the young man away. Vaatu pulls further from Raava, until only one tendril holds the two spirits together. Wan, recovering, sees this and uses his firebending to separate the two spirits. Vaatu flies away from Raava, and stands atop a nearby mountain to address Wan.]
- Vaatu: Thank you, human. You have preformed a great service for the spirits. [Vaatu flies away]
- Raava: [to Wan] Do you realize what you've done?!
- Wan: Yeah. I helped a spirit who was being bullied by you!
- Raava: You are gravely mistaken. I was keeping him under control.
- Wan: And what gives you the right?
- Raava: You don't even know who I am, do you?
- Wan: Should I?
- Raava: Yes. My name is Raava. That spirit you freed is Vaatu. He is the force of darkness and chaos. I am the force of light and peace. Since the beginning of time, we have battled for the fate of this world, and for the past ten thousand years, I have kept darkness under control and the world in balance. Until you came along.
- Wan: So, by freeing Vaatu, I let chaos into the world?
- Raava: Precisely. The human and spirit realms are heading toward annihilation, and it's all your fault.
[cut back to Korra in the present day]
- Korra: [quietly] Raava, I found you.
Beginnings Part 2 [2.08]
- Vaatu: So we meet again, human!
- Vaatu: [Emerges from the spirit portal] Are you ready for our final battle, Raava? Thanks to our friend separating us, I think this time, I may be rid of you once and for all!
- Wan: Before you get to her, you'll have to go through me!
- Vaatu: [scoffs] No human can stand against me!
- Wan: Haven't you heard the legends? I'm not a regular human anymore.
- Vaatu: [To Wan] I lived ten thousand lifetimes before the first of your kind crawled out of the mud! [Blasts Wan] It was I who broke through the divide that separated the plane of Spirits from the material world! [Blasts Wan again] To hate me is to give me breath. To fight me is to give me strength. Now prepare to face oblivion!
- Vaatu: The Harmonic Convergence is about to begin! The Era of Raava is over!
[As the Harmonic Convergence begins, Wan fuses his soul to Raava's spirit, becoming the first Avatar]
- Raava (from within Wan): We are bonded forever.
[Wan makes quick work of Vaatu, traps him inside an elemental sphere, and imprisons the dark spirit within the hollow of the Tree of Time]
- Wan: This is your prison now, and I will close the portals so no human will ever be able to physically enter the Spirit World and release you.
- Wan (voiceover): The spirits must stop fighting with humans and return to their home in the Spirit World. I will teach men to respect the spirits so that balance will be maintained. I will be the bridge between our two worlds.
- Lion Turtle: The world is entering a new age. Our time protecting mankind is over. We will no longer give humans the power of the elements.
- Wan (voiceover): Different groups of people must learn to live together. This is my mission: to use Raava's light spirit to guide the world toward peace.
- [At the end of his life, and elderly Wan is lying alone on an abandoned battlefied and has one last conversation with Raava]
- Wan: I'm sorry, Raava. I failed to bring peace. Even with Vaatu locked away, darkness still surrounds Humanity. There wasn't enough time.
- Raava: Don't worry, we will be together for all of your lifetimes, and we will never give up. [Wan dies, and a glowing wisp leaves his mouth. The screen fades to white and a baby is heard crying.]
[Cut back to Korra in the present day. Her eyes glow white as she briefly enters the Avatar State and wakes up.]
- Korra: I remember.
- Fire Sage: Do you know who you are?
- Korra: My name is Korra. I'm the Avatar.
The Guide [2.09]
A New Spiritual Age [2.10]
- Iroh: Even in the material world, you will find that if you look for the light, that you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see.
- Iroh: Sometimes the best way to solve your own problems is to help someone else.
- Unalaq: When Wan Shi Tong told me he had a visitor, I had to see it with my own eyes. I can't believe Tenzin sent his daughter here instead of coming here himself. What kind of a father is he?
- Jinora: Better than you.
Night of a Thousand Stars [2.11]
Harmonic Convergence [2.12]
Unalaq: It's true that when Wan fused with Raava he tipped the scales in her favor, but this time I'll be here to level the playing field. When Harmonic Convergence comes, I will fuse with Vaatu, and together we will become the new Avatar: a Dark Avatar.
Darkness Falls [2.13]
- Korra: I'm locking you away for another 10,000 years Vaatu!
- Bumi: Jinora's spirit, do you hear me? It's your Uncle Bumi.
- Tenzin: Ah, this isn't working. We can't just randomly wander the spirit world, call out for Jinora, and expect to find her!
- Bumi: We just need to employ the simple rules of tracking. First we locate her footprints... then we follow them.
- Kya: Do you even know what spirit footprints look like? Do spirits even leave footprints? Face it, your tracking skills won't work in the spirit world. Let me try something. [sits down and meditates] Ommmm... Jinora is over there. I feel a lot of spiritual energy coming from that direction.
- Bumi: We're in the spirit world. There's spiritual energy in every direction!
- Unalaq: [after fusing with Vaatu] We are now one! Now a new age of spirits and humans shall begin and I will lead them into it as the new Avatar!
- Korra: Well I'm the old Avatar and my era is not over yet.
- Tenzin: We're walking in circles! I've seen that same spirit mushroom five times!
- Bumi: That's not the same mushroom.
- Spirit Mushroom: Yes, I am.
- Tenzin: See? Even it knows we're lost.
- Bumi: Oh, sure, listen to a fungus over your own brother. [they hear a noice]
- Kya: What's that?
- Bumi: Mushroom, is that you?
- Spirit Mushroom: Nope. Wasn't me.
- Bumi: What kind of prison doesn't have any bars or walls? We could walk right out of here.
- Tenzin: The fog of lost souls is a spirit prison for humans. I read about it in an ancient text. The fog is actually a spirit... that infects your mind and slowly drives you mad, imprisoning you in your own darkest memories.
- Kya: How long can you be trapped in here?
- Zhao: I am Zhao the Conqueror! I am the Moonslayer! I will capture the Avatar! I am Zhao the Conqueror! I am the Moonslayer! I will capture the Avatar!
- Kya: Hopefully we're not trapped in here as long as that guy.
- Zhao: [sees Tenzin] You! You're him! The last airbender!
- Tenzin: No! Get off me!
- Zhao: You've grown... but I will still defeat you! [Bumi and Kya pull him off Tenzin and throw him back] Come back, Avatar! Face me! I am Zhao the Conqueror! I will capture you! Victory will be mine!
- Mako: [after being trapped by Eska and Desna] Please, let us out.
- Desna: His groveling is pathetic.
- Eska: But I do enjoy the sweet scent of desperation.
- Mako: Come on! Your dad has become an evil monster. He's trying to bring on eternal darkness! Why would you protect someone who doesn't care about you at all?
- Desna: Father was going to let me expire when we tried to open the northern portal... Perhaps we should rethink our position.
- Mako: Yes!
- Eska: No. Don't listen to him. His words are poisoning your mind. [Bolin starts crying] What's with this outburst of emotion?
- Bolin: I'm sorry, I can't help it. It's just so sad... that I'll never get to be with you again.
- Eska: What? Explain yourself further.
- Bolin: Eska, I've always loved you, and I've always wanted to be with you... but now that the world is ending, I'm never gonna get that chance.
- Eska: We could have been together, but you left me at the altar.
- Bolin: I was scared! I was scared of my true feelings for you. I should have never left you! I'm sorry. And I'm sorry that we'll never have a chance to rekindle the dying ember that was our love into a... Big fire of love flames.
- Eska: [kisses Bolin, then releases him and Mako} You'll never defeat my father. But should you survive, perhaps we can spend eternal darkness together.
- Mako: Wow, that was the best acting I've ever seen. You completely fooled her!
- Bolin: [insincere] Yeah, right, that... that was acting.
- Desna: [deadpan] They will certainly perish.
- Raava: Korra this fight is not over yet. Vaatu cannot win, do not give in to ten thousand years of darkness, you are the Avatar!
- Korra: You cannot win!
- [Tenzin is slowly being driven mad by his own fear]
- Tenzin: I am the son of Avatar Aang. I am the hope for future generations of airbenders. I am the son of Avatar Aang!
- Aang: Hello, my son.
- Tenzin: Dad, I've failed you. I am no spiritual leader, and I've let the world down. I'll never be the man you were.
- Aang: You are right. You are trying to hold on to a false perception of yourself. You are not me, and you should not be me. You are Tenzin.
- Tenzin': I am not a reflection of my father. I am Tenzin. I am Tenzin!
- Mako: Korra!
- Bolin: He's got the light spirit!
[Mako and Bolin attack Unalaq, who quickly tosses them away. Using his waterbending, Unalaq repeatedly attacks Raava. With each strike, Korra loses her connection to one of the past Avatars, starting with Aang and continuing down the line. With a final strike, Raava dissipates into a golden light, and Korra sees Wan disappear, signifying that her connection to her past lives has been severed. Vaatu lights up within Unalaq and he begins to change] [Cut back to Jinora, Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi in the Spirit World]
- Jinora: The world is in trouble.
- Tenzin: What are you talking about? How do you know?
- Jinora: I can feel it.
- Bumi: What happened?
- Jinora: It's Korra. [Jinora hands her father a butterfly spirit] This light spirit will guide you out of the Spirit World. [She begins to fade away] I have to go help.
- Tenzin: Jinora, wait! [she vanishes]
[Back in the physical world, Unalaq and Vaatu grow to enormous size, shocking Korra, Mako, Bolin, and Desna and Eska, who look on in horror. Unalaq and Vaatu, now known as UnaVaatu, speak in unison]
- UnaVaatu: Now, ten thousand years of darkness begins!
[Using the spirit lights, UnaVaatu teleports away, sending out a shockwave that knocks out everyone present]
Light in the Dark [2.14]
- Raiko: General Iroh, are your ships in position?
- Iroh: [over the radio] Yes, Mr. President, but I need to know what kind of enemy we're dealing with.
[A streak of light, UnaVaatu, crashes into the water. UnaVaatu stands up.]
- UnaVaatu: It's time to take back the physical world!
[UnaVaatu starts to move towards the United Forces ships stationed in the harbor.]
- Iroh: FIRE!
[The ships open fire, doing nothing to hurt UnaVaatu. The Dark Avatar uses his waterbending to summon a huge wave, which takes out the ships attacking him. He begins to move towards Avatar Aang Memorial Island.]
- Meelo: Monster attack!
[UnaVaatu grabs the statue of Avatar Aang, and pulls it down, setting it down in the waters of Yue Bay.]
- Tenzin: Were you able to stop Unalaq and Vaatu?
- Korra: No. They fused, then Vaatu ripped Raava right out of me and destroyed her. Vaatu won.
- Bolin: [scared] No. I am too young to live through ten thousand years of darkness! Korra, can't to talk to one of your past lives or something?!
- Korra: When Vaatu destroyed Raava, he destroyed my connection to the past Avatars too.
- Tenzin: If that's true, then -
- Korra: The cycle is over. I'm the last Avatar. [Tears up] I'm so sorry, Tenzin. [She starts crying]
- Kya: [To Tenzin] She needs you now, more than ever.
- Tenzin: The other Avatars may not be able to help you anymore, but perhaps I can.
- Korra: [resigned] No one can help me now.
- Tenzin: I know I haven't been the best mentor to you. But I realized it was because I had a lot of spiritual growth to do myself. There may still be a way for you to stop Vaatu.
- Korra: How?
- Tenzin:Let go of your attachment to who you think you are, and connect with your inner spirit.
- Korra: Haven't you heard anything I said? Raava is gone. I'm not connected to her spirit anymore.
- Tenzin: I'm not talking about Raava. Raava is not who you are. Come with me, I need to show you something.
[Tenzin and Korra walk up to the Tree of time]
- Korra:Why are you showing me Vaatu's prison?
- Tenzin: Because this tree had a history long before it held Vaatu. This is the Tree of Time, and the legends say its roots bind the spirit and physical worlds together.
- Korra: And you think this tree can help me somehow?
- Tenzin:Yes. I have read that long ago, the ancients would meditate beneath this tree and connect with the great cosmic energy of the universe.
[Korra and Tenzin enter the hollow of the Tree, and memories from Korra's past appear]
- Korra: These are my memories.
- Tenzin: The Tree of Time remembers all. Korra, the most powerful thing about you is not the spirit of Raava, but your own inner spirit. You have always been strong, unyielding, fearless.
[Korra's memories are replaced by an image of Avatar Wan]
- Korra: Avatar Wan.
- Tenzin: Before he fused with Raava, he was just a regular person.
- Korra: But, he was brave, and smart, and always wanted to defend the helpless.
- Tenzin: That's right. He became a legend because of who he was, not what he was. He wasn't defined by Raava any more than you are.
[Korra and Tenzin see images of UnaVaatu attacking Republic City and tearing down the statue of Avatar Aang]
- Korra: Everyone in Republic City is in danger!
- Tenzin: You have to help them, Korra.
- Korra: How? They're half-way around the world.
- Tenzin: Do as the ancients once did. Connect to the cosmic energy of the universe. Don't bend the elements, but the energy within yourself.
- Korra: [pause] You really think I can do this?
- Tenzin: I have no doubt.
- Korra: [hugging Tenzin] Thank you for not giving up on me.
- Tenzin: I'm proud of you.
[Korra and Tenzin walk up to the Northern spirit portal]
- Tenzin: Now that you're bonded with Raava again, are you also reconnected to your past lives?
- Korra: [pause] No. I think that link is gone, forever.
- Tenzin: I see. Why don't you close the portals, then we'll head home.
[Korra reaches her hand out to the spirit portal, but hesitates]
- Korra: Maybe I shouldn't.
- Tenzin: What do you mean?
- Korra: What if Unalaq was right when he said the Avatar shouldn't be a bridge between the two worlds? What if Avatar Wan made a mistake when he closed the portals? What if humans and spirits weren't meant to live apart? [to Tenzin] Well, what do you think I should do?
- Tenzin: [places his hand on Korra's shoulder] I think you should trust your instincts. There is nothing else I can teach you. You are the Avatar. Whatever your decision, I support you.
[Korra addresses a crowd gathered outside the Southern Water Tribe Palace]
- Korra: The War of the Water Tribes is over. Unalaq has been defeated, and the Northern Fleet is returning home. The Water Tribes will always be allies, but the Southern Tribe is now independent, and the Southern Council of Elders has appointed my father, Tonraq, to be your new chief!
[The crowd cheers as Tonraq steps forward]
- Korra: I've realized that even though we should learn from those who came before us, we must also forge our own path. So that is why I have decided to keep the portals open. Humans can now physically enter the Spirit World and spirits will be free to roam our world. I will no longer be the bridge. Humans and spirits must learn to live together. My mission will always be to use Raava's light spirit to guide the world toward peace and balance. Harmonic Convergence has caused a shift in the planet's energy. I can feel it. Things will never be the same again. We are entering a New Age.
Book 3: Change
A Breath of Fresh Air [3.01]
- Guard: You know the drill, Zaheer.
- Zaheer: Of course.
- Guard: [puts down the food tray] Hope you still like rice.
- Zaheer: Have you ever read the poetry of the great airbending Guru, Lahima?
- Guard: What?
- Zaheer: Guru Lahima lived 4000 years ago in the Northern Air Temple. It is said that he unlocked the secrets of weightlessness and became untethered from the earth, living his final 40 years without ever touching the ground.
- Guard: Is that how you plan to escape, with something you picked up from an old airbender childrens story?
- Zaheer: Like all great childrens tales, it contains truth within the myth. Lahima once wrote, Instinct is a lie told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong.
- Guard: What's that supposed to mean?
- Zaheer: It means, that when you base your expectations only on what you see, you blind yourself to the possibilities of a new reality.
- [Zaheer airbends and catches the guard on the bars with his hands]
- Zaheer: [to the other firebending guards] Ah,ah,ah. You wouldn't wanna singe your friend, would you?
- Guard: How?! You're not a bender?!
- Zaheer: Nature is constantly changing. Like the Wind!
- [Zaheer opens his cell and airbends all the guards into it]
- Zaheer: Now you might wanna ration that bowl of rice, you've got three weeks until the next shift change. It's the dawning of a new age, the end of the White Lotus, and soon, the end of the Avatar.
- Tenzin: Once we find the airbenders, I'll send word. You can join us at the Northern Air Temple then.
- Ikki: Hey! How come Jinora gets to go with you but we don't? That's so not fair!
- Meelo: Yeah! What this girl said! Not fair!
- Kya: Because if airbenders show up here, they're gonna need some guidance from the two of you. It's a very important job.
- Ikki: Really? Me, a teacher? Yay!
- Meelo: Those maggots will bow to me!
- Tenzin: Go easy on them, son.
- Zaheer: It's nice to see you again, Ghazan.
- Ghazan: Thanks for busting me out. Where did you pick up the new skills?
- Zaheer: I have Harmonic Convergence to thank for that. I was given a gift. I believe it's a sign that our path is a righteous one.
- [After Kuon refuses to become an Air Nomad]
- Korra: In my head I saw that playing out very differently.
- Asami: Maybe we should have stayed and tried harder to convince him to join us.
- Bolin: Or we could've thrown him into a potato sack and forced him into the ship.
- Bumi: That's how they got me to join the united forces.
- Tenzin: No, we can't coerce people. [pause] Or throw them in potato sacks. They must come freely. But not to worry, there are plenty of other airbenders out there who will be happy to come with us once they find out what the air nation's all about.
- [cut to a montage of Tenzin trying to convince various people]
- Tenzin: [to a mother] When your son becomes a master, he'll get tattoos all over his body, just like me.
- Tenzin: [to a fat man eating meat] There's nothing more nutritious than our vegetarian diet.
- Tenzin: [to a fashionable lady] I can tell that you're going to love wearing our ancient airbender robes. They're very breathable.
- Tenzin: [in a speed montage] You'll never have to worry about your worldly possessions again because you won't have any. [door slams shut] You'll get to shave your head! [door slams shut] Your best friend will be a giant bison!
- Tenzin: [back in the airship] I really thought I had that last guy. Who doesn't want a bison as their best friend?
- Korra: I don't know what to do. I just thought more people would be excited about coming with us.
- Bumi: Well, maybe you gotta do more to get them excited. You need to add a little razzle dazzle.
- Bolin: Yeah, razzle dazzle. We could put on some sort of airbending street performance.
- Bumi: I was going to say we could cover Tenzin's robe in sequins, but that's even better.
- Korra: It sounds ridiculous, but it might work.
- Tenzin: I'm willing to try anything at this point.
- Bolin: Yes! That is the kind of enthusiasm I like to hear.
- Bolin: Come one, come all and witness the amazing airbenders! An airbending show that will leave you breathless with wind! First up, the tattooed master himself. You know him as the son of Avatar Aang. He shaves every hair on his head, every single day. It's the one, the only guy with an arrow pointing to his nose... Tenzin!
- [Tenzin demonstrates some high level airbending moves]
- Bolin: Now, now, ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, please be quiet. I have some serious news. We've heard that an escaped firebending convict has been spotted near here. Now, I don't want to panic anyone, but if you see a firebender with a red scarf...
- Bystander: I see him. He's right there!
- Mako: [unenthusiastic] I am the escaped convict, and you will all reap my fire.
- Bolin: Oh, no, who will help us?
- Korra: I will! With my airbending skills. [traps Mako in a tornado]
- Mako: Whoa! Aah! Oh! Aah! Aah! Hey! Let me go! This is not what we rehearsed! Korra! [Korra laughs at Mako's misfortune. Off to the side, Asami laughs too]
- White Lotus Sentry: They came out of nowhere. I'm so sorry, Lord Zuko.
- Zuko: How could you let this happen?
- White Lotus Sentry: They caught us by surprise. And Zaheer is an airbender now.
- Zuko: No! This can't be. Do you have any idea the power these criminals possess? Individually, they can take down any bender. Put them all together, they could take down the entire world. And now you're telling me their leader is an airbender?
- White Lotus Sentry: We can track them...
- Zuko: We don't need to track them. I know exactly where they're going. Notify the new chiefs of the Northern Water Tribe that an attack on their prison is imminent. And send word to Lin Beifong in Republic City. The Avatar must be protected.
- White Lotus Sentry: Where are you going?
- Zuko: To stop them.
The Earth Queen [3.03]
- Gun: Your majesty, may I present Avatar Korra.
- Hou-Ting: [shouting at her servants] You're ruining the koi pond! It's completely overshadowed by the topiaries! Guards, take that buffoon away and get me someone who knows what they're doing! You! Rip everything out and start over! I am surrounded by idiots. [notices Korra] So I finally get a visit from the Avatar. Let me guess, you want something.
- Korra: Well, actually, your majesty, I was hoping you could...
- Hou-Ting: I hardly think you're in a position to ask me for favors after everything the last Avatar did to the Earth Kingdom. He and Fire Lord Zuko took advantage of my father's weakness, and stole our lands to make their own little empire. The United Republic is Earth Kingdom territory.
- Korra: Well, I-I'm not sure what I can do about that.
- Hou-Ting: Not that you care, but what's left of my kingdom is falling to ruin. Roving bands of barbarians are raiding villages in the countryside, and now, some of my subjects are refusing to pay their taxes.
- Korra: I'm very sorry for your troubles, but actually...
- Hou-Ting: [at her servants] That topiary is supposed to be an eel-swan, not a turtle-duck!
- Bolin: Whew, I'm getting hungry. [gasps] We might have to hustle up a little breakfast with the old fruit stand scam. Come on. You remember how it goes. I push you into the stand, you scream, I pretend to faint.
- Mako: I don't want any part of this. Besides, look at this fruit. It's disgusting. We don't want to steal this.
- Tu: Hey, you trying to steal my fruit?
- Mako: No, I just said I don't want any of this rotten fruit.
- Tu: Oh, you too good for my fruit? This is the best fruit on the block.
- Mako: So you want me to steal it?
- Tu: Just try it, buddy. [Flexes his arm muscle, kisses it] Go ahead.
- Bolin: I'm confused. Are we stealing the fruit or not?
- Tu: I knew it, thieves! [tackles Mako and Bolin]
- Eska: Why didn't anyone tell us we have a secret prison we could have been throwing people in?
- Desna: I'd like to put my tailor in here. He never gets my cuffs right. They're so creasy.
- Zuko: We built this place secretly with your father to hold a very special prisoner. She's a powerful firebender named P'Li who can create explosions with her mind. Ironically, I hired a guy with a similar ability to kill the Avatar myself once. [awkward pause] Didn't work.
- Eska: Don't feel bad. I tried to kill Korra after she ruined my wedding. It happens.
- Tonraq: Let's just focus on keeping this woman in prison.
- [they enter the prison]
- Zuko: The intense cold prevents her from firebending.
- Desna: There's certainly no way anyone's breaking out of here.
- Zuko: That's what we thought about the other three prisons.
- P'Li: [shivering] Must be something exciting going on. No one interesting has visited me in 13 years.
- Tonraq: Don't get used to it.
- P'Li: He's out, isn't he? Mmm, I'm feeling warmer already.
- Gun: Your majesty, the Avatar has returned with the tax payments.
- Hou-Ting: Finally. Secure it in the vault.
- Gun: It's being done as we speak.
- Korra: So now, your majesty, if I could start meeting some of the airbenders here in the city.
- Hou-Ting: The Dai Li thoroughly searched the city, but it seems your reports were incorrect. There are no airbenders in Ba Sing Se. So you can gather your little band and be on your way tomorrow.
- Korra: You make me do your dirty work extorting your own citizens for your stupid palaces and topiaries, and then you just want to send me away? We're not going anywhere until we find some airbenders! We know there are some here!
- Hou-Ting: Get her out of my sight!
- Korra: This isn't over! I'm going to find the airbenders!
- Dai Li agent: Welcome to her majesty's army, first airbending regiment. From now on, you live to fight for the Earth Queen.
In Harm's Way [3.04]
- P'Li: I thought I'd never see you again.
- Zaheer: I never doubted. [they kiss]
- Ghazan: [annoyed] Really? Right now?
- Asami: Mako! Bolin! You're okay. Where have you been?
- Bolin: We chased Kai... Train... Slipped away... Lower ring... Slept in trash pile... Met our family... Grandma, tears... Mako's scarf... Earth queen lying.
- Asami: Can you interpret that?
- Mako: The Earth Queen's been secretly taking airbenders and forcing them into her army.
- Korra: She was lying. I knew it I swear, the next time I see her...
- Lin Beifong: I just got word from Lord Zuko and Tonraq.
- Korra: Why is Lord Zuko with my dad?
- Lin Beifong: Zaheer and the others have escaped.
- Tenzin: How is that possible?
- Lin Beifong: Because Zaheer is an airbender now.
- Tenzin: No.
- Korra: All right, hold on. Will you quit ignoring me and tell me what's going on? Who's Zaheer? Why is my life in danger?
- Tenzin: Shortly after we found out you were the Avatar, Zaheer and three others attempted to kidnap you. Luckily, your father, Lord Zuko, Chief Sokka, and I were there to stop them. We apprehended the criminals and locked them away in prisons designed to impair their abilities.
- Korra: So that's why you and my dad sheltered me away.
- Tenzin: It was for your own safety.
- Mako: Why were they trying to kidnap Korra?
- Lin Beifong: We spent 13 years interrogating them, but they never broke. To this day, no one knows what their motive was.
- [after rescuing the airbenders, Bumi radios Lin]
- Bumi: Topside, this is papa bear. The breezies are in the hold. Cue the balloons.
- Lin: What? Are you in trouble?
- Bumi: No! We got the airbenders, and we're headed out. Bring the airships. [sadly] No one likes code names anymore.
- Lin: Copy that. Asami and I are on our way.
- Kai: Thanks for coming to get me. I'm really sorry about stealing your wallets and running away and getting you stuck on that train.
- Bolin: Oh, we can't stay mad at you!
- Mako: Yes, we can. I had a lot of money in that wallet!
- Hou-Ting: So you've discovered my elite army. I see their loyalty still needs some work.
- Korra: These airbenders shouldn't be used as weapons. They have a right to choose their own paths.
- Hou-Ting: These airbenders are Earth Kingdom citizens, and I am their queen. Taking them will constitute an act of war. If you disobey me, I will bear down on you with the entire force of my kingdom!
- Korra: They're leaving with me.
- Hou-Ting: No, they're not! [orders the Dai Li to attack]
- Tenzin: I know that none of you chose to become airbenders, but now you do have a choice. We can relocate you somewhere safe, or you can come with me to the Northern Air Temple to live in peace and train as Air Nomads. You are no longer anyone's property. What path you decide is up to you.
The Metal Clan [3.05]
- Aiwei: Allow me to introduce the matriarch of the metal clan, Suyin.
- Suyin: Please, call me Su. Great to finally meet you, Avatar Korra. And this must be Mako, Bolin, and Asami.
- Mako': You've done your research.
- Suyin: I make it my business to know who's visiting my city.
- Korra: So you're a dancer?
- Suyin: Dancer, leader, wife, mother, collector of rare meteorites. You'll find people here have many skills and interests. [Aiwei whispers something in her ear] Korra, why did you lie when Aiwei asked if there was anyone else with you?
- Korra: What? I-I didn't. I mean... How did you know I was lying?
- Aiwei: I am a truth seer. When people lie, their heart rate and breathing increase. I can sense the most subtle of changes.
- Suyin: Thanks to Aiwei, there are no secrets in our city.
- Korra: We came with Republic City's chief of police. She didn't want anyone to know she was here. I'm sorry I didn't tell you.
- Suyin: Lin's here? Well, I would love to say hello.
- Korra: Wait, you two know each other?
- Suyin: You're joking, right? Oh, Lin never told you about me.
- Korra: No. Why would she?
- Suyin: I'm Lin's sister.
- Suyin: And this is my daughter Opal.
- Opal: Wow, Avatar Korra. I can't believe you're really here. You are so amazing.
- Korra: It's great to meet you, Opal.
- Bolin: Opal? That's a beautiful name.
- Opal: [blushes] Thanks.
- Bolin: I'm Bolin.
- Opal: Opal, but, uh, you already knew that.
- Lin Beifong: Great. We found the airbender. Let's take her back to the airship and get out of here.
- Suyin: And the woman apparently trying to abduct you is your aunt Lin.
- Varrick: Sorry we're late, everyone.
- Bolin: [gasps] Varrick!
- Asami: What are you doing here?
- Varrick: Great question, Asami. I mean, what are any of us doing here? Wow. Food for thought. Anyhoo, how's our company doing?
- Asami: You mean my company? Future industries reverted back to me after you plotted to abduct the president.
- Varrick: Allegedly plotted to abduct the president. Never convicted.
- Mako: Uh, that's because you escaped prison.
- Varrick: No, the universe decided to set me free. So I looked up my old friend Suyin here, pitched her a few ideas, and bam! We're in business together.
- Suying: Varrick's heading up my new technology division.
- Varrick: I've seen the future, and the future is magnets! I'm working on a high-speed rail that'll revolutionize transportation and shipping as we know it. But that's not all! I'm...
- Lin Beifong: All right, enough! I'm trying to keep the Avatar safe, and you're harboring a criminal?
- Suyin: Ease up, Lin. Sure, Varrick's made a few mistakes in his past, but that doesn't mean he should pay for it the rest of his life. My chef was a pirate, but now he's a culinary master. People change.
- Lin Beifong: You haven't. [storms out]
- Mako: So you and Opal seemed to hit it off at dinner. I think she's really into you.
- Bolin: Yeah, you know, she's sweet and pretty and super nice. Too bad she's not my type.
- Mako: Right, I forgot. Your type is dumb mover star or psycho ice princess.
- Bolin: You know, that hurts a little bit. [places hand at his heart] Right... Here. But maybe you're right, bro. Maybe Opal is Bolin material.
- Korra: Thank you for being so welcoming, and I'm sorry for how Lin's been acting. Can I ask, what happened with you two?
- Suyin: It's complicated. We didn't have a normal childhood. Neither of us knew our fathers, and Toph was always busy being chief of police. Because mom grew up in such a strict house, she gave us all the freedom in the world, hoping we'd figure out our own paths.
- Korra: That sounds like a good thing.
- Suyin: And in a way, it was. But we both ended up fighting for mom's attention. Lin followed in her footsteps and became a cop. I was more of a rebel. Mom wasn't too happy with how either of us turned out. When I was 16, I left home to explore the world. I sailed the seas on a pirate ship, joined a traveling circus for while, and lived in a sandbender commune in the desert. It took me a while, but I finally realized what I was looking for was a family. So I bought this plot of land, found a brilliant architect who later became my husband, and created a place I could truly call home.
- Korra: It sounds like you've created the perfect life here.
- Suyin: Almost. I've always wanted Lin to be a part of it, but I gave up hope long ago of her ever coming around.
Old Wounds [3.06]
Original Airbenders [3.07]
The Terror Within [3.08]
The Stakeout [3.09]
Long Live the Queen [3.10]
[Zaheer and his three comrades blast the door to the throne room open and enter]
- Queen Hou-Ting: What is this rifraf doing in my throne room unannounced?!
- Zaheer: (bows) Apologies, Your Majesty- but I couldn't help overhearing that the Avatar won't be joining us today.
- Queen Hou-Ting: (angrily) The Avatar is still in my custody! However, eavesdropping on royal conversations will land you in a cell right next to those boys you brought in! Now- if you value your freedom, you'll tell me where the airbenders are, right now!
- Zaheer: (coldly) That wasn't the deal.
- Queen Hou-Ting: (furious) I will not bandy words with bounty hunters! (to the Dai Li) Seize these hoodlums and throw them in prison, until they decide to show proper respect for the Crown!
[the Dai Li encircle the four, but Pi'Li quickly blasts two of them with a combustion bolt. Two more Dai Li attempt to attack with their earth-gauntlets, but Ghazan effortlessly redirects them back, incapacitating them; Ming-Hua and Zaheer easily defeat others who attempt to capture them. Seeing the Dai Li beaten, Gun flees the room gibbering in terror]
- Queen Hou-Ting: (hysterical with rage and fear, cowering behind her throne) GUN! GET BACK HERE AND LAY DOWN YOUR LIFE FOR YOUR QUEEN, YOU COWARD! (seeing Zaheer approaching, she steps out and points accusingly at him) You wouldn't DARE attack a Queen!
[Zaheer leaps over her head and lands atop the throne, startling her]
- Zaheer: (coldly) Maybe I forgot to mention something to you... I don't believe in Queens.
[he begins airbending the oxygen right out of her lungs and encasing her head in an airtight sphere, choking her to death]
- Zaheer: (angrily) You think that freedom is something you can give or take on a whim. But to your people, freedom is just as essential as... air. And without it... there is no life. There is only... darkness. (Hou-Ting dies)
The Ultimatum [3.11]
Enter the Void [3.12]
Venom of the Red Lotus [3.13]
Book 4: Balance
After All These Years [4.01]
- Shiro Shinobi: (off-screen narration, as a black and white film reel of Republic City landmarks plays) Welcome to Republic City, the place of hopes, dreams and Spirit Wilds! This metropolis truly has something for everyone. Visit Air Temple Island, the hub for all airbenders as they travel the world, helping others. Or take a stroll through beautiful Avatar Korra Park, named in honor of "You-Know-Who"! We've missed her these past three years and we can't wait to welcome her home. Get well soon, Korra! And of course, you'll want to see our most unique attractions: the Spirit Wilds. Here, spirits and people live harmoniously together. (referring to a shot of Gommu with a group of spirits) Like this old codger, and his new pals. Yes siree, this town is truly on the up and up! Come be a part of the action in Republic City!
Korra Alone [4.02]
- [Korra, after fighting with a vision of her past self and getting knocked out, wakes up in a cave. She sits up and holds her head. A mysterious woman stirs a pot on a fire nearby.]
- Mysterious woman: Feeling better?
- Korra: Where am I? What happened?
- Mysterious woman: I was hoping you could tell me. I found you passed out in the mud.
- Korra: How did you know I was out there?
- Mysterious woman: I'm pretty tapped into the goings-on around here. [Slight pause] what brings you to the Swamp, anyway?
- Korra: A spirit led me here and told me I was supposed to find someone; is that you?
- Mysterious woman: Beats me, but if your Avatar senses called you here, you should probably listen to them.
- Korra: [Standing up] Wait. You recognize me?
- Mysterious woman: In a manner of speaking. We were good friends in your previous life.
- [Korra uses her firebending to create a small flame in her hand. The mysterious woman turns around and reveals herself to be Toph Beifong.]
- Korra: I can't believe it ... Toph?!
- Toph Beifong: [chuckles] Nice to see you again, Twinkle Toes.
The Coronation [4.03]
[At Prince Wu's Coronation ceremony, Gun, the Grand Secretariat of Ba Sing Se, pins the "royal brooch," really an earring, onto Wu's coat]
- Gun: Now rise, Wu of the Hou-Ting Dynasty, King of all the Earth Lands and Glorious Defender of Ba Sing Se. Long may you reign!
[Scattered, uninterested applause from the crowd]
- Wu: (addressing the crowd) Thank you, for that incredibly brief but very moving ceremony. I am touched by the love of my devoted countrymen, who have worked so hard to restore their beloved leader to the throne. One of them deserves special attention. [Turns to Kuvira] Kuvira, rise! [Kuvira walks over to him. Wu places a medal around her neck] For your service to the realm, I would like to present you with the Kyoshi Medal of Freedom, our nation's highest honor, which was somehow not stolen, unlike the royal pinky rings.
- Kuvira: Thank you. And if you don't mind, I would like to say a few words.
- Wu: Why not? [slightly annoyed] We've got six hours to fill.
- Kuvira: [Addressing the crowd] Growing up in Zaofu, with Suyin Beifong, I learned that the idea of a royal family passing a title from one generation to the next was archaic, and that technology and innovation should be what drives a nation forward. It was the pathetic rule of kings and queens that caused the Earth Kingdom to descend into such incredible disarray. It's taken me three years to get it back on track, and there is no way I will allow it to slip back into the dark ages. [Tenzin and President Raiko exchange troubled looks] I'd like to make an announcement to the world: the Earth Kingdom is no more. And from here on out, [Gestures to Wu.] this man has no authority. [Crowd gasps in surprise.]
- Wu: [surprised and confused] Wait, what?! But I just got the Royal Brooch!
- Kuvira: I have created a new Earth Empire, and I will continue to lead it into the future myself, bringing about a new era of prosperity for my people.
[Many of Kuvira's supporters in the crowd cheer and applaud. Bolin reluctantly stands and applauds]
- Kuvira: And let me assure my fellow leaders of one thing: [She rips the Kyoshi Medal of Freedom from around her neck and uses metalbending to levitate it in her hand] Anyone who crosses our borders or stands in our way will be crushed. [As she finishes her speech, she crushes the medal and lets it drop to the stage floor]
[Korra and Toph have just finished sparring in the swamp, with Toph emerging the victor every time.]
- Korra: That was terrible.
- Toph: Ha! Maybe for you. I had a great time. I never realized how much I missed tormenting the Avatar. I wish you were putting up more of a fight, but it was still fun.
- Korra: You were tossing me around like a rag doll all day long.
- Toph: I know! And I'm an old lady! Imagine me in my prime. [laughing] I would have destroyed you!
- Korra: I just don't understand why I can't get back to my former self. It's like ... I'm a step slower. I'm tentative, I'm out of sync, I just can't get back in the groove.
- Toph: [matter-of-factly] Probably carrying around that metal doesn't help.
- Korra: [surprised] What metal?
- Toph: The little bits of metal poison stuck in your body. [Pause] You mean to tell me you can't feel metal in your own body?! You really are the worst Avatar ever.
- Korra: I thought Su got it all out...
- Toph: No, my girls never really picked up metalbending all that well, if you ask me.
- Korra: [excited] That's been my problem this entire time! [grabbing Toph by the shoulders] I gotta get it out! You can get it out for me, right?
- Toph: Who do you think you're talking to? [puts her hand on Korra's face, pushing her away]
[Back in Toph's hut, Korra is lying down on a bed. Toph is standing off to the side.]
- Toph: Okay, if you want me to bend out this metal, you need to relax.
- Korra: [Tense] I am relaxed.
- Toph: Seriously? Your body is like a twisted tree trunk!
- Korra: Just do it! I'm ready.
[Toph cracks her knuckles and shoulders. As soon as she starts metalbending the poison, Korra jolts forward, yelling in pain.]
- Toph: It wouldn't hurt if you would just relax! Stop fighting me!
- Korra: [frustrated] I'm not fighting!
[Korra lies back down. Toph cracks her back and starts bending the poison again. Korra sees a vision of Zaheer suffocating her, causing to scream and curl up]
- Toph: [giving up] All right, that's it. You're going to have to do this on your own. Clearly, you want to keep the metal in there.
- Korra: What do you mean? Why would I want poison inside me?
- Toph: I don't know! Maybe so you have an excuse not to go back to being the Avatar. If you don't get better, you can't do your job, so you don't have to worry about getting hurt again!
- Korra: Wha - that's ridiculous!
- Toph: Whatever. When you want it out, you can bend it out. I can't deal with all your issues for you.
- Korra: Wait! What am I supposed to do now?
- Toph: How should I know? Ask the spirit that brought you here. The good news is, if you're looking for a place to hang where no one will bother you, you picked the best swamp in the world!
The Calling [4.04]
- [Toph relaxes on a tree root, whistling a little tune as Korra approaches]
- Korra: So ... what's the plan for today?
- Toph: [smiling] You're looking at it.
- Korra: We didn't do anything yesterday, or the day before that. [She sits down on a nearby root. After a brief pause, she's upbeat again.] I know! Tell me the story of how you taught Aang to earthbend!
- Toph: [nonchalantly] What's there to tell? I threw some rocks at the Avatar, he got all whiny, and Sokka fell in a hole.
- Korra: [underwhelmed] I thought there'd be more to it than that ... [another brief pause] Oh, what about the time you guys took down the Fire Lord? That must've been epic!
- Toph: Oh yeah! [blandly] It was hot. I was on a blimp. And I think a giant turtle showed up. Wow, what a day.
- Korra: Okay, you're terrible at telling stories.
- Toph: You're terrible at listening to them!
- [Korra sits on a tree root, having encountered visions in the Swamp of her enemies at moments where they did her the most harm. Toph walks up to her.]
- Toph: There you are! You got my dinner yet?
- Korra: No ... this swamp ... It did crazy things to my mind. I had visions, of all the times my enemies hurt me.
- Toph: [nonchalantly] Yeah, I figured something like that might happen.
- Korra: [surprised] What? You wanted me to see those visions? You are one twisted old lady, you know that?
- Toph: Look, I know you want to get better. And so does the Swamp! It can sense you're out of balance. It will teach you what you need to learn, if you're open to listening.
- Korra: [sighs] Okay, Swamp, I'm all ears.
- Toph: You said you saw your past enemies. Now why do you think that is?
- Korra: I don't know. Because they made me and a lot of other people suffer.
- Toph: Sounds like you're carrying around your former enemies, the same way you're still carrying around that metal poison. You maybe consider you could learn something from them?
- Korra: [unconvinced] Sounds like the swamp is messing with your mind, too.
- Toph: My mind's just fine, thank you. Listen: [as she speaks, images of each of Korra's enemies fade in and out] what did Amon want? Equality for all. Unalaq? He brought back the spirits. And Zaheer believed in freedom.
- Korra: I guess ...
- Toph: The problem was, those guys were totally out of balance and they took their ideologies too far.
- Korra: Okay, fine. But that doesn't explain why they keep haunting me.
- Toph: Because you need to face your fears. You can't expect to deal with future enemies if you're still fighting the old ones.
Enemy at the Gates [4.05]
The Battle of Zoafu [4.06]
Beyond the Wilds [4.09]
- [Korra confronts Zaheer in his prison]
- Zaheer: So... You must really be in trouble if you came all the way down here to see me.
- Korra: I came here to look you in the eye and tell you that you have no power over me. I will no longer be scared of you.
- [Zaheer suddenly lunges at Korra, who is visibly startled]
- Zaheer: [laughs] I guess it didn't work. You still seem scared.
- Korra: This was a mistake.
- Zaheer: I know why you're here.
- Korra: You don't know anything about me!
- Zaheer: You can't go into the Spirit World. [Korra, surprised, turns and faces Zaheer] I spend most of my time in the Spirit World, and it's well-known that the Avatar's spirit hasn't been there for a few years.
- Korra: You can meditate into the Spirit World from here? Doesn't feel very spiritually charged.
- Zaheer: This is your problem. Republic City is flowing with spiritual energy, and you can't even tap into it.
- Korra: No, my problem is you. You poisoned me! You ruined me! People used to think I was unstoppable, but now they don't think I'm capable of anything!
- Zaheer: Blaming me is a crutch to make you feel better, but it's not helping you recover.
- Korra: I thought seeing you face-to-face would put an end to all of this, but maybe it's time I realize I'll never be the same.
- Zaheer: Neither of us are the same as before. I learned to fly, but now I'm bound in chains. You have all the power in the world and the freedom to use it, but you choose to hold yourself down.
- Korra: I'm not holding myself down, but my powers have limits.
- Zaheer: You're wrong. That poison should've killed you, but you were able to fight it off. You think your power has limits; I say it's limitless.
- Korra: Whatever. Before, you were always talking about chaos and freedom. Then you took out the Earth Queen and created the worst dictator the Earth Kingdom has ever seen. Thanks for that.
- Zaheer: I've heard rumors about her, but I didn't know she achieved so much power. She needs to be stopped.
- Korra: Well, I can't stop her unless I get over this block.
- Zaheer: I think I can help. Let me lead you into the spirit world.
- Korra: No way. I can't trust you.
- Zaheer: Maybe not. But if you had any other options, You wouldn't be here now, would you? We may have been enemies once, But for now, our interests align.
[Zaheer levitates into the air, and assumes a meditating position]
- Korra: I've come this far. What have I got to lose?
[Korra sits on the ground, ready to meditate into the Spirit World]
- Zaheer: Focus on the sound of my voice and clear your mind.
[Cut to Korra envisioning the day that Zaheer almost killed her. Korra starts to panic]
- Zaheer: Let it play out.
- Korra: I can't!
- Zaheer: You can. Accept what happened to you. Don't fear what might have been!
- Korra: I have no control!
- Zaheer: Don't be afraid! Hold on!
Operation Beifong [4.10]
Kuvira's Gambit [4.11]
- Kuvira: This land belongs to the people of the Earth Empire and it's time to take it back. Republic City will be ours!
- Iroh: Mister President, do I have your order to engage?
- Kuvira: You have 3 seconds before I wipe out your army.
- Raiko: I have no choice.
- Kuvira: Time's up!
- Raiko: Stop! We surrender. Republic City is yours.
- Kuvira: Good. Turn your army and the Avatar over to me and give Bataar your location. He'll present you with our terms.
Day of the Colossus [4.12]
The Last Stand [4.13]
- Kuvira: What happened? Are we dead?
- Korra: No, we're okay, but we're in the Spirit World. All the energy from your weapon tore open a new portal and blasted us in here.
- Kuvira: Why would you save my life? After everything I did to you.
- Korra: I guess I see a lot of myself in you.
- Kuvira: We are nothing alike.
- Korra: Yes, we are. We're both fierce and determined to succeed, sometimes without thinking things through.
- Kuvira: This wasn't how I wanted things to end. If you had all just surrendered, none of this would've happened.
- Korra: You brought this on yourself. Messing with the spirit vines, acting like a dictator over your people; you had to know what you were doing wasn't right.
- Kuvira: I was trying to help my people. Su turned her back on the Earth Kingdom. You were gone. I had to do something.
- Korra: I think I get it now.
- Kuvira: You don't understand anything about me.
- Korra: I do. Su told me how she took you in when you were younger. It must have been so hard being an orphan.
- Kuvira: Don't pretend you know what it felt like. The Avatar is adored by millions! I was cast aside by my own parents, like I meant nothing to them! How could I just stand by and watch the same thing happen to my nation when it needed someone to guide it?
- Korra: You wanted to create a place where you and your people would never be vulnerable again. I may not have been an orphan, but believe me, I understand what it feels like to be afraid. After I was poisoned, I would've done anything to feel in control.
[In Republic City, spirits begin to fly out of the new spirit portal, while others reappear around it.]
- Tenzin: The spirits have returned.
[Korra and Kuvira walk out of the spirit portal, Kuvira leaning on Korra for support]
- Asami: And so has Korra!
[Kuvira's mecha suits notice their leader's return. Team Avatar walks over to Korra.]
- Bolin: Ha ha! You're okay!
[The mecha suits assume fighting stances]
- Mecha Suit Captain: Release Kuvira, or we will attack!
- Kuvira: Stand down. This battle is over. I owe the Avatar my life. Her power is beyond anything I could ever hope to achieve. I'll accept whatever punishment the world sees fit.
[The mecha suits, surprised, nonetheless lower their weapons. Lin handcuffs Kuvira.]
- Kuvira: [looks over at Suyin] And Su, I'm sorry for all the anguish I've caused you and your family.
- Suyin: You're going to answer for everything you've done.
[Lin and Suyin lead Kuvira away. Bolin laughs and Team Avatar hugs Korra.]
- Bolin: [voiceover] And though the battle took a severe toll on our beloved city, out of the destruction, love did bloom! [cuts to Air Temple Island. Bolin is the minister at Varrick and Zhu Li's wedding] So that is why, dearest friends and family, we gather here today to celebrate the wondrous, and at times, inexplicable, bond between Sir Varrick and the Lady Zhu Li!
- Varrick: [to the cameraman] Hey pal, camera on me! This is my big day! [The cameraman swivels the camera back to point at Varrick]
- Bolin: True love is a fickle creature, difficult to find, nearly impossible to tame. But Varrick and Zhu Li have proven that even the longest of long shots can have a chance at happiness together. Now for the vows! [Pabu climbs on top of Bolin's shoulder. Bolin takes a small scroll from around Pabu's neck] Thank you, Master Pabu. [To Varrick] Do you, Sir Iknik Blackstone Varrick of the Southern Water Tribe, Master of the High Seas, take the Lady Zhu Li Moon to be your lawfully wedded wife? Do you promise to treat her, not as your assistant, but as your honored and cherished partner?
- Varrick: You're darn tootin' I do!
- Bolin: And do you, Zhu Li, take Varrick, to be your lawfully wedded husband? Do you promised to care for him in sickness and in health, and [confusedly] also scrub his callouses on a bi-weekly basis which ... isn't really that much to ask ... [to Varrick] okay, I'm not reading all this!
- Zhu Li: I do take Varrick, callouses and all.
- Bolin: You may now ... do the thing.
[Zhu Li dips Varrick down and kisses him. The audience applauds. Varrick starts to cry.]
- Zhu Li: Are you alright?
- Varrick: You just make me so dang happy!
[Varrick pulls a remote out of his pocket. He and Zhu Li press the button, and fireworks go off in the distance.]
- Tenzin: I spoke to President Raiko. Tomorrow, he's announcing a plan to expand the city, rather than rebuild downtown.
- Korra: I bet Aang never could've imagined there'd be a spirit portal right in the heart of Republic City.
- Tenzin: Korra, you've transformed the world more in a few years than most Avatars did during their lifetimes.
- Korra: But I feel like I've only just begun. There's so much more I want to learn and do.
- Tenzin: You don't know how happy I am to hear you so full of hope again.
- Korra: It's been a bit of a bumpy ride, huh?
- Tenzin: I've come to realize life is one big, bumpy ride.
- Korra: I know I was in a pretty dark place after I was poisoned, but I finally understand why I needed to go through all that. I needed to understand what real suffering was, so I could become more compassionate to others ... even to people like Kuvira.
[Asami walks over]
- Asami: Excuse me, Tenzin. Varrick is looking for you. Something about wanting to borrow a glider suit to fly off the tower?
- Tenzin: [running off] That doesn't seem like a good idea!
- Korra: You want to sit with me for a minute? I'm not ready to get back to the party just yet.
[Asami and Korra sit on the steps, looking out at Republic City]
- Korra: I don't think I ever really apologized.
- Asami: For what?
- Korra: For being gone all that time. For not coming back sooner.
- Asami: You don't have to apologize for anything. I'm just so happy you're here now. I don't think I could've handled losing you and my father in the same day.
- Korra: I am so sorry about what happened. [She leans in and hugs Asami]
- Asami: Thank you. I'm just glad I was able to forgive him.
- Korra: So, what now? Back to the dance floor?
- Asami: I'm kind of all danced out. Honestly, with everything that's happened the past few months, I could use a vacation.
- Korra: Let's do it! Let's go on a vacation, just the two of us. Anywhere you want.
- Asami: Really? Ok ... I've always wanted to see what the Spirit World is like.
- Korra: Sounds perfect.
[Cut to Korra and Asami walking towards the spirit portal. As they walk into the portal, they hold hands, and turn to look into each other's eyes. The Chinese characters for "The End" appear in the sky]