The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2005 feature film, adaptation of the 1950 children's fantasy novel directed by Andrew Adamson
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a 2005 film about four children who travel through a wardrobe to the land of Narnia and learn of their destiny to free it with the guidance of a lion messiah.
- Directed by Andrew Adamson. Written by Ann Peacock, Andrew Adamson, Christopher Markus, and Stephen McFeely, based on the novel by C.S. Lewis.
Some journeys take us far from home. Some adventures lead us to our destiny.taglines
- Welcome Peter, son of Adam. Welcome Susan and Lucy, daughters of Eve. And welcome to you, Beavers. You have my thanks. But where is the fourth?
- If the witch knew the true meaning of sacrifice, she might have interpreted the Deep Magic differently, for when a willing victim has committed no treachery is killed in a traitor’s stead, the stone table will crack and even death itself will turn backwards.
- [to Peter] Peter, there is a Deep Magic more powerful than any of us that rules over all of Narnia. It defines right from wrong, and governs all our destinies. Yours... and mine.
- Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch! I was there when it was written.
- To the glistening Eastern sea, I give you Queen Lucy, the Valiant. To the great Western Wood, King Edmund the Just. To the radiant Southern sun, Queen Susan, the Gentle; and to the clear Northern sky I give you King Peter, the Magnificent. Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen. May your wisdom grace us 'til the stars rain down from the heavens.
- Narnia! It's all in the wardrobe just like I told you!
- [To Edmund] That's alright, some little children just don't know when to stop pretending.
- [to Mr. Beaver] I think you've made a mistake. We're not heroes!
- Look, just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!
- Didn't I tell you 'bout the football field in the bathroom cupboards?
- [After Susan throws a snowball at him, which hits him in the shoulder] Ow! Stop it!
- It was the White Witch. She was the one who made it always winter, always cold. She gave orders.
- Aslan knows unless I have blood as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned and perish in fire and water. That boy will die on a stone table as is tradition. You dare not to refuse me.
- Tonight, the Deep Magic will be appeased. But tomorrow, we will take Narnia... forever!
- Lucy: [holds out her hand] Pleased to meet you.
- [Mr. Tumnus looks at her hand curiously]
- Lucy: Oh, you shake it.
- Mr. Tumnus: Why?
- Lucy: I…I don't know. People do that when they meet each other.
- Edmund: Why can't we play hide-and-seek again?
- Peter: I thought you said it was a kids' game.
- Susan: Besides, we could all use the fresh air.
- Edmund: It's not like there isn't air inside....
- White Witch: Tell me, Edmund. Are your sisters deaf?
- Edmund: No.
- White Witch: And your brother. Is he unintelligent?
- Edmund: Well, I think so. But Mum says...
- White Witch: [gets up from her throne, furious] Then HOW DARE YOU COME ALONE?!
- Edmund: I tried!
- White Witch: Edmund, I asked so little of you.
- Edmund: They just don't listen to me!
- Mr. Beaver: Look. Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, it's all happenin' because of you.
- Susan: You're blaming us?
- Mrs. Beaver: No, not blaming. Thanking you.
- Mr. Beaver: There's a prophecy. "When Adam's Flesh and Adam's bone sits in Cair Paravel in throne, the evil time will be over and done."
- Susan: You know, that doesn't really rhyme.
- Mr. Beaver: Yeah, I know it don't, but you're kind of missing the point!
- Edmund: Well, I believe you.
- Lucy: You do?
- Edmund: Yeah, of course. Didn't I tell you about the football field in the bathroom cupboard?
- Peter: Oh, will you just stop. You just have to make everything worse, don't you?
- Edmund: It's just a joke.
- Peter: When are you gonna learn to grow up?
- Edmund: SHUT UP! YOU THINK YOU'RE DAD, BUT YOU'RE NOT! [Edmund runs out of the room]
- Susan: Well, that was nicely handled. [Susan leaves the room as well]
- Susan: Do you think we'll need jam?
- Peter: Only if the Witch serves toast!
- Mrs. Beaver: You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?
- Mr. Beaver: Well, you never know if your next meal's going to be your last. Especially with your cooking.
- Aslan: That is Cair Paravel, Castle of the four thrones. In one of which you will sit, Peter, as High King. [Peter looks down] You doubt the prophecy?
- Peter: No, that's just it. Aslan, I'm not who you think I am.
- Aslan: Peter Pevensie, formerly of Finchley. Beaver also mentioned that you planned on turning him into a hat. [chuckles] Peter, there is a deep magic more powerful than any of us that rules over all of Narnia. It defines right from wrong, and governs all our destinies. Yours, and mine.
- Peter: But I couldn't reach out over my own family.
- Aslan: You brought them safely this far.
- Peter: Not all of them.
- Aslan: Peter, I will do what I can to help your brother, but I need you to consider what I ask of you. I, too, want my family safe.
- [The children step outside, they hear rustles from the bushes. Mr. Beaver approaches.]
- Lucy: It's a beaver.
- Peter: [Holds out his hand, approaching Mr. Beaver and clicking his tongue] Here, boy. Come here.
- Mr. Beaver: [stares at it then sits upright] Well, I ain't gonna smell it, if that's what you want!
- White Witch: You have a traitor in your midst, Aslan.
- Aslan: His offense was not against you.
- White Witch: Have you forgotten the sacred laws upon which Narnia was built?
- Aslan: [snarling] Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch! I was there when it was written.
- White Witch: Then you'll remember well that every traitor belongs to me. His blood is my property.
- Georgie Henley - Lucy Pevensie
- Skandar Keynes - Edmund Pevensie
- Anna Popplewell - Susan Pevensie
- William Moseley - Peter Pevensie
- Tilda Swinton - White Witch
- James McAvoy - Mr. Tumnus, the Faun
- Liam Neeson - Aslan (voice)
- Ray Winstone - Mr. Beaver (voice)
- Dawn French - Mrs. Beaver (voice)
- Rupert Everett - Fox (voice)
- Cameron Rhodes - Gryphon (voice)
- Philip Steuer - Philip the Horse (voice)
- Waka Flocka Flame - Goat
- Jim May - Vardan (voice)
- Sim Evan-Jones - Wolf (voice)
- Jim Broadbent - Professor Kirke
- Kiran Shah - Ginarrbrik
- James Cosmo - Father Christmas
- Judy McIntosh - Mrs. Pevensie