No positive lightEdit
I love how there's not a single quote that paints him in a positive light.--184.108.40.206 01:36, 18 April 2008 (UTC)
- Do I take it, then, that you will be adding some? That's what wikis are all about: community effort. - InvisibleSun 02:57, 18 April 2008 (UTC)
The apple tartEdit
More information is needed for the "upsetting the apple tart" quote. What is the full, correct quote? Did Ahern say "don't upset the apple tart" or "people are upsetting the apple tart", or what, exactly? When and where did he say it? And an authoritative citation is needed. The Time magazine story is a glib and incomplete account, and inadequate for our purposes. O'Dea 03:33, 5 December 2011 (UTC)
- If you can provide a precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Bertie Ahern.
- This is a day we should treasure, a day when agreement and accommodation have replaced days of difference and division.
- 11 April 1998 — the day the Good Friday Agreement was signed
- I'm one of the last socialists left in Irish politics.
- December, 2004
- It's all smokes and daggers
- commenting on the media's apparent conspiracy to discredit him
- I've looked up every tree in north Dublin.
- speaking of his investigations into Ray Burke's past
- We are not going to apologise for any small role we may have played in helping to remove a dictator who made his people suffer for twenty years, carried out horrific acts and didn't care about democracy. He is gone now, and thank God for that.
- May 2003 — speaking of the war in Iraq and the use of Shannon Airport for US military stopovers
- We were always dead against the war.
- December 2003
- To the people of Europe who are joining us today in the European Union, I extend the hand of friendship...Today marks the triumph of your determination and perseverance over the legacy of history. For Europe, today marks the closure of one chapter and the opening of another new and exciting chapter in its long history.
- 1 May 2004 — European Union enlargement
- What they were up to in those days were kept for the future. I'm not sure I know how legal it was...but anyway...ha ha ha.
- 15 March 2005 — Visiting the Tipperary Hill Irish neighbourhood in Syracuse, New York
- Throwing white elephants and red herrings at each other.
- a warning he used in the Dáil once.
- I never condemn wrongdoing in any area.
- 22 February, 2006 in the Dáil
- I'm not answering what I got for my Holy Communion money, my Confirmation money, what I got for my birthday, what I got for anything else, I'm not into that.
- 21 September, 2006 responding to questions relating to a leak from Mahon Tribunal that they would investigate payments he received in 1993.
- I've never heard of any man standing in a wheelchair that didn't get a seat.
- On Brian Crowley, News of The World Bertie Farewell Special