American social networking site
(Redirected from TWITTER)
Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 280-character messages called "tweets".
- Specific threats of violence or wishing for serious physical harm, death, or disease to an individual or group of people is in violation of our policies. Our new changes include more types of related content including:
Accounts that affiliate with organizations that use or promote violence against civilians to further their causes. Groups included in this policy will be those that identify as such or engage in activity — both on and off the platform — that promotes violence. This policy does not apply to military or government entities and we will consider exceptions for groups that are currently engaging in (or have engaged in) peaceful resolution.
- Enforcing new rules to reduce hateful conduct and abusive behavior, 18 December 2017.
- We are deeply sorry about the pain these statements, and the attention they are drawing, are causing the family, we've been working to expand existing product features and policies so we can more effectively address things like this going forward, and we hope to have those changes in place shortly.
- It looks like the virus is not as deadly as the mainstream media first made it out to be
- Twitter is actively preparing to support the transition of w:White House institutional Twitter accounts on January 20th, 2021. As we did for the presidential transition in 2017, this process is being done in close consultation with the w:National Archives and Records Administration.
- Voter fraud of any kind is exceedingly rare in the US, election experts confirm
- ! This claim about election fraud is disputed
- A notice that has become quite common on the Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump twitter account December 13, 2020
- As a result of the unprecedented and ongoing violent situation in Washington, D.C., we have required the removal of three @realDonaldTrump Tweets that were posted earlier today for repeated and severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy
- This means that the account of @realDonaldTrump will be locked for 12 hours following the removal of these Tweets. If the Tweets are not removed, the account will remain locked.
- Twitter locks Trump’s account and threatens to ban him posted January 6, 2021
- After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence
- Twitter permanently suspends Trump from platform January 8, 2020
- Elon’s appointment to the board was to become officially effective on 4/9, but Elon shared that same morning that he would not be joining the board. I believe this is for the best.
- Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal tweeted according to Elon Musk no longer joining Twitter's board of directors (Apr 11, 2022)
- HB20 would compel platforms to disseminate all sorts of objectionable viewpoints, such as Russia’s propaganda claiming that its invasion of Ukraine is justified, ISIS propaganda claiming that extremism is warranted, neo-Nazi or []KKK screeds denying or supporting the Holocaust, and encouraging children to engage in risky or unhealthy behavior like eating disorders.
- Supreme Court blocks Texas social media law that tech companies warned would allow hateful content to run rampant (PUBLISHED TUE, MAY 31 20224:56 PM EDT UPDATED TUE, MAY 31 2022 8:19 PM EDT)
- I don’t have confidence in management
- Elon Musk Twitter CEO Among Top Executives Departing as Musk Takes Over (October 27, 2022, 5:42 PM PDT)
Quotes about TwitterEdit
A - HEdit
- Too many twits make a twat.
- David Cameron, expressing his views on Twitter during an interview on Absolute radio (29 July 2009), David Cameron says sorry for 'twat' comment during radio interview.
- I Don't Look at Twitter Because It Doesn't Tell Me Anything.
- Noam Chomsky, Interview with Byline.com, "Chomsky: I Don't Look at Twitter Because It Doesn't Tell Me Anything", April 14, 2015.
- They [Twitter] are not principled in this. They have so much garbage and filth on that platform all the time. They did not censor people when they are using those platforms or the rioting that occurred over the summer.
- Ron Desantis according to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wants to fine ‘Big Tech’ $100,000 per day for censoring political candidates February 3, 2021
- A million fucking message boards, email, Twitter, any number of free tools, being limited only by time and your imagination? If I’d had the internet in 1988 I WOULD OWN AN ENTIRE COUNTRY BY NOW AND WOULD PUT HUNDREDS OF YOU TO DEATH EACH DAY JUST FOR FUN AND IT WOULD BE THE LAW.
- I think there are times that the other side does it to get you caught
- There’s no way that this is just happening randomly
- That is the central tenet of twenty- first-century Western philosophy: ‘I tweet, therefore I am.’
- John O'Farrell The Man Who Forgot His Wife (published 16 March 2012)
- That you cannot argue with 30 million people on Twitter I will grant you, which is why nobody is asking anybody to do that. But do you know what you can do with 30 million people on Twitter? You can wait one afternoon. People can be ruthless on social media, but they also have the long-term memory of goldfish. The whole cycle—the controversy, the apology, the rash of takes about the apology, the rash of takes about the takes about the apology, and the redemption—lives its lifespan so quickly you could miss one completely if you flew from New York to LA and didn’t spring for the Gogo in-flight WiFi. If you make a piece of art, and Twitter registers its displeasure with it, you can either stomp your feet and quit the game forever, or—I promise you this is true—go to the gym for a couple hours.
- Dave Holmes, Esquire (October 2, 2019) 
- The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him.
- Alan Horn, press statement (20 July 2018)
I - LEdit
- Much of the stuff on Twitter or in op-ed pieces is all the more embarrassing for having been written from a presumed position of great intellectual superiority...
- People are always criticizing Twitter. "Twitter is crazy!" they say. I think that's misguided. Twitter is simply an avenue -- there are many -- by which people reveal who they are.
- No official directive at all, and I don’t think I’ve ever tweeted anything that bad. But it’s nine years of stuff written largely off the cuff as ephemera, if trolls scrutinizing it for ammunition is the new normal, this seems like a “why not?” move.
- Rian Johnson, Twitter, (July 25, 2018, 5:52 PM).
M - ZEdit
- I do think it was not correct to ban Donald Trump
- Without significant subscription revenue, there is a good chance Twitter will not survive the upcoming economic downturn. We need roughly half of our revenue to be subscription.
- Elon Musk warns Twitter could face bankruptcy as top executives flee ("NOVEMBER 11, 2022 / 2:09 PM / CBS/AP")
- I complained to Twitter about the man who, pretending to be me, commended the Charleston racist murderer. Twitter responded: “We have determined that it’s not in violation of Twitter’s impersonation policy.” I felt a flash of rage. Every time an online shaming occurred Twitter and Google made money. Whereas those of us doing the actual shaming? We got nothing. Twitter suddenly felt uncaring, intimidating, even dangerous. We were unpaid shaming interns for a company that didn’t care about us. I quit Twitter.
The world outside Twitter was great. I read books. I reconnected with people I knew from real life and met them for drinks in person. Then I drifted back on to Twitter.
- Jon Ronson, "Jon Ronson: how the online hate mob set its sights on me", The Guardian, (20 December 2015)
- Chairman Mao was the first in the world to use Twitter. All his quotations are within 140 words.
- If Shakespeare were alive today, he might be writing on Twitter.
- Twitter is the people’s tool, the tool of the ordinary people, people who have no other resources.
- Ai Weiwei in: Ventura, Catherine. “Is Twitter a Human Right? One Chinese Activist Thinks So.” Huffington Post, March 17, 2012.
- If you’ve ever been to the monkey house in one of those awful downscale zoos, you know what monkeys — these particular monkeys — are like: They jerk off and fling poo all day, generally using the same hand for both, and they don’t do a hell of a lot else, unless there’s McDonald’s. All day: jerk off, fling poo, jerk off, fling poo, jerk, fling, jerk, fling. Twitter, basically.
- Kevin D. Williamson, "How Twitter radicals are controlling corporate America" (27 July 2019), The New York Post.
- Kyle Rittenhouse did nothing wrong. So said a jury of his peers after weeks of witness testimony, a careful review of the video evidence, and Rittenhouse’s own dramatic appearance on the stand. Twitter, however, reached a different verdict. In the exuberant hours after Rittenhouse’s acquittal, I tweeted the phrase “Kyle Rittenhouse did nothing wrong” to my 10,000 followers. The tweet went viral, generating hundreds of retweets and thousands of likes. Included was a photo of my suspension, from a few days earlier, for saying the exact same phrase. I felt vindicated. Twitter, however, got the last laugh. On Sunday morning, I woke up to another suspension for insisting that Rittenhouse was in the right. The first had been for 12 hours. This one is for seven days.
- Josiah Lippincott, Twitter Suspended Me For Saying Kyle Rittenhouse Did Nothing Wrong—After His Acquittal, The Federalist, 22 November 2021
- Twitter hates comedy. It hates truth. It hates free speech. And it hates the American People, because they refuse to be docile sheep.
- Ted Cruz Tweet
- And indeed, it’s control over our minds that Twitter wants. They can’t just delete the offending tweet and let us back in. They want us to go into our account and click the delete button ourselves. We have to bend the knee, kiss the ring, bow to the towering statue of LGBTQ politics when the trumpets play, or we stay on timeout indefinitely. We have to promise to do better, implicitly agree that calling a man a man is hate speech, and then we’ll be allowed the right to speak on Twitter’s platform.
- Marchese: You’ve talked about the negative effects of the “Twitter mob” on your show, but you’ve also talked about how most people don’t care what’s on Twitter. If people don’t care about the Twitter conversation, why bother railing against it?
- Maher: Because the Twitter-mob mentality has an effect on the rest of the world. Everyone fears the wrath of the Twitter mob and the social justice warriors and the P.C. police. Religions always talk about the one true religion. Now on the left we have the one true opinion. If you go against that, you do so at your peril. That’s why the air on the left is becoming stale. I railed for years against the Fox News bubble, and that is as strong as ever, but I didn’t think it would get this bad on the left. Comedians are afraid to make jokes in clubs, because somebody will tape it and send it out on Twitter and get the mob after you.
- Bill Maher in “Bill Maher on the Perils of Political Correctness”, by David Marchese, The New York Times, (Sept. 30, 2019).