Star Kid is a 1998 independent science fantasy-family film about a kid named Spencer who comes across a piece of alien technology, a Phase One Assault Cyborsuit. Accompanied by the Cyborsuit and a former antagonist, Spencer saves Earth by defeating an alien villain.
- Written and directed by Manny Coto.
Phase One Assault CyborsuitEdit
Manfred "Turbo" BruntleyEdit
- Janet Holloway: I used to be scared to death of spiders. [places tarantula in Spencer's hands] Hold still now. Yeah, I almost fainted once when a little garden spider crawled into my bedroom. Yeah, I told my dad about it; you know what he did? He bought me a tarantula just like Leo G there. He knew I'd have to change my tarantula's water, and that meant sticking my hand in the terrarium. If I didn't give him water, the tarantula would die. My dad figured I couldn't let that happen, even to a spider. He was right: I stuck my hand in that terrarium—oh, that first time. Oh, man, I was so scared. But you know what? It got easier. Pretty soon, I wasn't even scared anymore. In fact, I go so into spiders, I started studying them, and I found science, and I became the world's greatest science teacher. … Point is, if you run away from the things you're scared of, it doesn't get any better. The fear doesn't go away; in fact, it just gets worse. Trust me.
- Nadia: [selling Cyborsuit shirts to fellow kids] Look, we gotta make a profit here. You're just gonna have to tell your mom to increase your allowance.
- Narrator: [from the trailer] …comes the story of two friends who must join forces to save two worlds…if they don't destroy this one first.
- Spencer Griffith: Hello?
- Phase One Assault Cyborsuit: Hello?
- Spencer: You can talk?
- Cyborsuit: You can talk?
- Spencer: Of course I can talk.
- Cyborsuit: Of course I can talk.
- Spencer: Cut it out.
- Cyborsuit: Cut it out. Language data reoriented to English.
- Cyborsuit: [to Turbo] You are USAD—
- Spencer: No, USDA.
- Cyborsuit: —er, USDA choice dead meat.
- Spencer: What do you call a cow with no feet?
- Cyborsuit: Insufficient data.
- Spencer: Err! Wrong! "Ground beef," get it?
- Cyborsuit: [silence]
- You know what they say, if the cyborsuit fits, go kick some alien butt!
- In Memory of Soraya Amin
Quotes about the filmEdit
- Unless you're a boy between the ages of about 8 and 13, you're likely to find little of interest in this picture.
- "Star Kid,'
' written and directed by Manny Coto, has a sweet heart and a lot of sly wit, and the symbiosis between boy and cyborg is handled cleverly. For kids of a certain age, it pushes the right buttons.
- Joseph Mazzello — Spencer Griffith
- Joey Simmrin — Manfred "Turbo" Bruntley
- Alex Daniels — Cyborsuit
- Arthur Burghardt — Cyborsuit (voice)
- Brian Simpson — the Broodwarrior
- Richard Gilliland — Roland Griffith
- Corinne Bohrer — Janet Holloway
- Ashlee Levitch — Stacey Griffith
- Danny Masterson — Kevin
- Lauren Eckstrom — Michelle Eberhardt
- Jack McGee — Hank Bruntley
- Bobby Porter — Nath the Treklin
- Larry Nicholas — Tenris De-Thar the Trelkin
- Rusty Hanson — Trelkin
- Terry Castillo — Trelkin