person who reigns over a certain region or country(Redirected from Rulers)
A ruler is a person who exercises dominion or power over others.
- Nothing appears more surprising to those, who consider human affairs with a philosophical eye, than the easiness with which the many are governed by the few; and the implicit submission, with which men resign their own sentiments and passions to those of their rulers.
- David Hume, “Of the First Principles of Government,” in Essays, Literary, Moral and Political, p. 32
- We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- There is no one who ever acts honestly in the administration of States, nor any helper who will save any one who maintains the cause of the just.
- Plato, The Republic, 496d
- Ars prima regni posse te invidiam pati.
- The first art to be learned by a ruler is to endure envy.
- Seneca the Younger, Hercules Furens, CCCLIII.
- You made your rulers mighty, gave them guards,
So now you groan 'neath slavery's heavy rod.
- It is, indeed, a vice of rulers that men who have exceptional ability and worth are offensive to them, since they whose greatness is due to their position find it difficult to love those whom inner power makes great.
- John Lancaster Spalding, Aphorisms and Reflections, p. 81
- I do not want to be a ruler; I am not anxious to be rich; I decline military command; I detest sexual promiscuity; I am not impelled by any insatiable love of money to go to sea; I do not contend for reputation; I am free from an insane thirst for fame. ... Why are you “destined” so often to grasp for things, and often to die? Die to the world, repudiating the insanity that pervades it. Live to God, and by apprehending God, apprehend your own nature as a spiritual being created in his image.
- Tatian, Address to the Greeks, Chapter 11
- Your rulers and your dignitaries are those who are clad in plush garments, and they shall not be able to recognize the truth.