Predator is a 1987 film about a team of commandos reunited in a Central American jungle for a rescue and extract mission, but the lurking secret of the jungle will leave the crew facing death from something never before seen on earth. A sequel was produced and released in 1990.
- General: Eighteen hours ago, we lost a chopper... Carrying a cabinet minister and his aide in this charming little country. We’ve got a transponder fixed on their position... [Pointing] About here.
- Dutch: ... This cabinet minister, does he always travel on the wrong side of the border?
- General: Apparently, they strayed off course. And we're fairly certain they're in guerrilla hands.
- Dutch: So why don't you use the regular army? What do you need us for?
- Dillon: 'Cause some damn fool accused you of being the best!
- Dutch: ... Dillon!... You son of a bitch! [Arm wrestling]
- Dillon: Dutch, what the general is sayin' is a couple of our friends are about to get squeezed and we can't let that happen. We need the best. That's why you're here...
- Dutch: Go on.
- Dillon: Simple setup. One-day operation. We pick up their trail at the chopper, grab those hostages, and bounce back before anyone knows we were there.
- Dutch: What do you mean, "we"?
- Dillon: I'm goin' in with you, Dutch.
- Dutch: General, my team always works alone. You know that.
- General: I'm afraid we all have our orders, Major. Once you reach your objective, Dillon will evaluate the situation and take charge...
- Dutch: What happened here, Billy?
- Billy: Strange, Major. There was a firefight. They were shooting in all directions.
- Dutch: I can't believe Hopper walked into an ambush.
- Billy: I don't believe he did. I can't find a single track. It just doesn't make sense...
- Dutch: What about the rest of Hopper's men?
- Billy: There's no sign, sir. They never left here. It's like they just disappeared...
- Dutch: ... Stick with the guerrilla trail. Let's get the hostages. [To the others] We move. Five-meter spread. No sound.
- Poncho: You're hurt. You're bleeding, man.
- Blain: I ain't got time to bleed.
- Poncho: Oh, okay. [firing a few round from his parabolic grenade launcher] You got time to duck?
- [after Dutch's team completes the assault on a rebel camp, he notices something amiss]
- Dutch: You set us up! [pushes Dillon to a wall] It's all bullshit, all of it! The cabinet minister, the whole business. Got us in here to do your dirty work.
- Dillon: Look we just stopped a major invasion, in three days they would've crossed the border!
- Dutch: Why us?
- Dillon: Because nobody else could've pulled it off.
- Dutch: You're pissed about the cover story. What story did you brought to Hopper?
- Dutch: Look, we've been looking for this place for months. My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and get my men and he disappeared.
- Dutch: He didn't disappear. He was skinned alive!
- Dillon: My orders were to get somebody who could crack these bastards!
- Dutch: So you cooked up a story and dropped the six of us in a meat grinder...What happened to you, Dillon? You used to be someone I could trust.
- Dillon: I woke up. Why don't you? You're an asset. An expendable asset. And I used you to get the job done, got it?
- Dutch: My men are not expendable.. and I don't do this type of work.
- Dutch: He's killing us one at a time.
- Billy: Like a hunter...
- Dillon: Hold it Dutch, I'm going after Mac!
- Dutch: That's not your style, Dillon.
- Dillon: I guess I picked up some bad habits from you, now get your people the hell out of here!
- Dutch: You can't win this Dillon.
- Dillon: Maybe I can get even...
- Dutch: ... Dillon! [Throws him an extra weapon]
- Dillon:... Just hold on to that damn 'chopper.
- Dutch: What the hell ARE you?
- The Predator: [distorted replay] What the hell are YOU?
- Nothing like it has ever been on earth before.
- It came for the thrill of the hunt. It picked the wrong man to hunt.
- Soon the hunt will begin.
- In a part of the world where there are no rules, deep in the jungle where nothing that lives is safe, an elite rescue squad is being led by the ultimate warrior. But now, they're up against the ultimate enemy. Nothing like it has ever been on earth before. We cannot see it, but it sees the heat of our bodies and the heat of our fear. It kills for pleasure, it hunts for sport. But this time, it's picked the wrong man to hunt.
- James Cameron: I always wanted to see something with mandibles.
- John McTiernan, Kevin Peter Hall, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Joel Silver, John Davis, Jim Thomas, John Thomas (2001). If It Bleeds We Can Kill It: The Making of 'Predator' (Television program). AMC.
- Robert Rodriguez: Yeah, I think there’s something very unique about that movie. For one, the movie itself is something that inspired me to do mixed genre pictures later. I remember going to see it with my older brother who was a body builder and we saw every Arnold Schwarzenegger movie that came out and we went to see that one thinking it was a Commando type film and then it starts turning – I remember the audience reaction to the film in the theater, they were kinda confused when it turned sci-fi and horror and Arnold didn’t really win at the end, a Predator blows himself up and flies off looking like he’s going to a looney bin in a helicopter. And they were a little like “wow what was that movie?” And it just caught on and kept growing in popularity. And the movie itself was very unique.
- Robert Rodriguez, PREDATORS Interview: Director Nimrod Antal and Producer Robert Rodriguez, Collider, 1 July 2010