Oz (TV series)
Oz (1997 - 2003) is an American television show, that aired on HBO, about the inmates in the Oswald State Correctional Facility, formerly Oswald State Penitentiary, a fictional level 4 maximum-security state prison.
- Directed by Tom Fontana.
The Routine [1.1]Edit
- Augustus Hill: Oz. That's the name on the street for the Oswald Maximum Security Penitentiary. Oz is retro. Oz is retribution. You wanna punish a man? Separate him from his family, separate him from himself, cage him up with his own kind. Oz is hard times doing hard time.
- Augustus Hill: See, in Em City, retribution gives way to redemption. Timmy boy believes he can save every one of us, from each other, from ourselves, from the system that dumped us in here. Only thing he don't get is, you gotta want to be saved.
- Diane Wittlesey: There's something in the air. And it ain't love.
- Joey D'Angelo: [about Groves] He ate his mother.
- Nino Schibetta: Get the fuck out of here!
- Joey D'Angelo: So I heard. He killed her, then he broiled her head. Smothered it in onions.
- Dino Ortolani: What, no garlic?
- Nino Schibetta: What the fuck's wrong with this country? In the old days, murder was murder. You killed someone, it was business. You sure as Christ didn't eat them.
- Kareem Said: I would give my life for you.
- Jefferson Keane: You gonna have to.
Visits, Conjugal, and Otherwise [1.2]Edit
- Augustus Hill: Fuck is a four letter word. Rape is a four letter word. Wife is a four letter word. So is love. Fuck is a curse. So is love.
- Vern Schillinger: Come over here and ask me if you can fuck your wife. Come on, ask me! Now!
- Tobias Beecher: Can I be with my wife?
- Vern Schillinger: Fuck my wife.
- Tobias Beecher: Fuck my wife.
- Vern Schillinger: Louder, and say "please" and "sir".
- Tobias Beecher: Please, sir, may I fuck my wife?
- Vern Schillinger: Louder.
- Tobias Beecher: Please, sir, may I fuck my wife!
- Vern Schillinger: When you ask me like that, I can't deny you anything.
- Lenny Burrano: Donald Groves. You killed your parents and ate them, right?
- Donald Groves: I only ate my mom. I was saving my dad for Thanksgiving.
- Lenny Burrano: That's festive.
- Bob Rebadow: God comes to visit me every once in a while. Actually, he comes more often than I'd like but it's God. What can I say? That I'm busy, that I'm in the shower? He knows.
- Lenny Burrano: We talking about a burning bush here?
- Bob Rebadow: No, it's more like a strobe. A little too flashy, a little cheesy for my taste.
- Augustus Hill: And love? Well, if sex is sweet and death is bitter, love is both. Love will always and forever break your heart.
God's Chillin' [1.3]Edit
- Augustus Hill: In the beginning, God was nothingness. So he started making stuff. He made the dirt, he made the sky, he made the water, he made things that swim, things that slither, things with legs. I mean, God turned himself into a big shot. Then, in a couple of days, or a couple of million years, he breathed life into man. And he's been sucking the life out of us ever since.
- Augustus Hilll: There's some pain that you don't share. Some pain like your fingerprints that's all yours. All alone.
- Tobias Beecher: If God is in me, he's a tumor.
- Donald Groves: Wait, Father, maybe I'm a convert.
- Ray Mukada: You can't become a Catholic just to get out of the hole. Come on.
- Donald Groves: No, no, wait. I've been reading a lot since I got here about different faiths and yours is pretty nifty.
- Ray Mukada: Catholicism is nifty?
- Donald Groves: You have that whole mystical transabstentiation bit going.
- Ray Mukada: That's right. The Eucharist becomes the body of Christ.
- Donald Groves: So you're actually eating his flesh and drinking his blood.
- Ray Mukada: That's right.
- Donald Groves: Now how can I not get behind a religion like that?
- Tim McManus: You are creating a lot of the tension that we're dealing with right here.
- James Devlin: How am I doing that?
- Tim McManus: Well, you ban smoking, you ban conjugals. Bit by bit you're stripping these men of their basic human needs.
- James Devlin: This is a prison. These men are criminals. The whole point is to strip them of their basic human needs. If a kneejerk prissy liberal would see that we wouldn't be having the problems we're having today.
- Tim McManus: The campaign is over, Governor, so get off your soapbox.
- James Devlin: McManus, when you look at me, what do you see?
- Tim McManus: A man.
- James Devlin: You've heard of Olympus, right? Mount Olympus, ancient Greece, where the gods lived?
- Tim McManus: Yeah.
- James Devlin: Well, it was a hierarchy, even among the gods. Mercury was lesser than Apollo, Apollo lesser than Zeus. Now, you run your cellblock and you think you're a god. Glynn runs the whole prison, he thinks he's a greater god. Well, guys, I am Zeus. I am omnipotent. I must be obeyed...or my thunderbolts will strike.
Capital P [1.4]Edit
- Donald Groves: They say that lethal injection causes no pain. How do they know? Did someone come back from the dead and say they didn't feel anything?
- Miguel Alvarez: Hey, Father. Where was God when my son died?
- Ray Mukada: Same place he was when his own son died.
- Diane Wittlesy: My ex was a big hunter, he was always going off with his buddies so I said to him one time to take me. After some complaining, he did. So I got there in the forest with this big hunky shotgun and I fired at a deer. Hit it dead on. So I went over to this thing and I leaned down and this deer looked up at me with these eyes, these eyes like flashlights. I knelt beside it and I held it's head and I whispered, "I'm sorry." And like batteries going bad the light in its eyes flickered a little bit and went out. For the next two years we were married, every time I walked into the den I had to look at this fucking deer's dead eyes. I had to dust them. When we got divorced that's all I asked for, the deer's head. Then I buried it.
- Ray Mukada: If you love women so much, why do you kill them?
- Richard L'italien: Because when you love someone, they own you, they possess you. I will not be possessed.
- Ray Mukada: I'm here to give you absolution for your sins. Do you wish to be absolved?
- Richard L'italien: Fuck, yes!
- Augustus Hill: There's this brother on death row somewheres, he checked in when he was 16. He sat there another 16 years while the courts and lawyers argued about this and that. While he waited he painted a mural on his wall. For all those years he painted, not letting a soul see what he was up to. Finally, when he was 32 and had spent more life on death row than in his mama's house, all his appeals were exhausted. He was about to die. As he was about to be let out for the final time, he finally unveiled his masterpiece. All there was were six words. "Death is certain, life is not". The next day the hacks painted over it. Peace out.
Straight Life [1.5]Edit
- Nino Schibetta: I always thought Keane and Markstrom were holding you back. From the get-go, you were a guy that sees how the world gets made. Adebisi. Ends in "I". Sure you're not Italian?
- Simon Adebisi: Schibetta ends in "A". Maybe you African.
- Scott Ross: [to Schillinger] I'm gonna give you ten minutes to get your hands off my dick.
- Bob Rebadow: I do know sometimes I can see inside men's souls.
- Kareem Said: And can you see into mine, old man?
- Bob Rebadow: Yes.
- Kareem Said: And what is there?
- Bob Rebadow: Anger.
- Kareem Said: Yes, I am angry. I am angry at a society that cripples my people and infects their bodies.
- Bob Rebadow: No, you're angry at God.
- Kareem Said: I am not. My illness is Allah's will and I accept the bad as well as the good that God gives me.
- Bob Rebadow: Still, you're angry at him and afraid. Afraid of dying.
- Kareem Said: That is not true.
- Bob Rebadow: You watched Jefferson Keane die, die gladly. Keane embraced death like a lover, like a traveler going home. You saw that and you were afraid. You realized you aren't as willing to go.
- Vern Schillinger: [upon seeing Beecher dressed in drag] My God! You're even prettier than I thought you'd be!
To Your Health [1.6]Edit
- Augustus Hill: Do we care for people when they're sick because we actually care about them? Or do we care for them because when our time comes, we want someone to care for us?
- Augustus Hill: 'At least you got your health.' Don't you hate that? You lose your job, you lose your wife, YOU'RE IN PRISON, and some punk ass do gooder says 'At least you got your health' like that's supposed to make you FEEL better! So what if I'm broke? So what if some dealer wants to cap my ass; at least I ain't got a tumor. I swear, the next person to say ALYGYH to me, I'ma make sure they don't have THEIR health much longer.
- Simon Adebisi: You are a sick motherfucker, O'Reily.
- Ryan O'Reily: Coming from you, that's a compliment.
- Augustus Hill: All those little aches and pains eventually, they add up to something. Body - body, mind, they gotta work together or they don't work at all. You gotta take care of your body. You gotta take care of your mind. You gotta LOVE your body. Most people don't. Most people HATE their bodies. You gotta get your MIND to love your body. Even if you're fat around the middle, or even if things don't work like they're supposed to - you've gotta LOVE your body. 'Cause it's all you've got to hold on to. It's all you've got. I'll make a deal with you: I'll love your body, if you love mine.
Plan B [1.7]Edit
- Kareem Said: [about Huseni Mershah] This man is not our brother. He is our enemy. As of this moment, this man is cast out. No Muslim will speak to him, look him in the eye or acknowledge him. [to Mershah] You wanted the death of another? Right now, you're dead to us all.
- Donald Groves: [trying to repeat an Islamic greeting] A-salami-I-like-'em.
- Loretta Smith: I'm Loretta Smith. You killed my son. You're a handsome fellow.
- Donald Groves: Thanks.
- Loretta Smith: You broke God's law: Love thy neighbour. I wanna hate you but I can't. I feel pity, tears, but no hate. I didn't realize that until this moment. You are my neighbour and I love you. And I forgive you with all my heart. That's all.
- Eddie Hunt: To Lawrence Smith. A fine man who died too young.
- Diane Wittlesey: Yeah. Amen.
- Eddie Hunt: Here's to Donald Groves, a freak of nature who lived too long.
- Diane Wittlesey: Yeah, probably.
- Eddie Hunt: I killed a man who killed a man. I killed a man. Only maybe I didn't kill him, because they put blanks in one of the rifles so maybe-- I mean, I can never know for sure if I killed him or not. Only not knowing is maybe worse than knowing. Because at least if I knew--
- Diane Wittlesey: Eddie. Go home.
- Tobias Beecher: [while defecating on Schillinger] Sieg heil, baby! Sieg fucking heil!
A Game of Checkers [1.8]Edit
- Augustus Hill: Remember when your High School History teacher said "The course of human events changes because of the deeds of great men"?. Well the bitch was lying. Fuck Caesar, fuck Lincoln, fuck Mahatma Gandhi. The world keeps turning because of me and you: the anonymous. Revolutions start because people don't have enough bread. Wars start over a game of Checkers.
- Vern Schillinger: I had a visit from my sons. They're almost, out of their teens now, almost men. Live with their grandfather, the man who taught me everything I know about hate. Yesterday, my boys sat there across from me, ranting and raging. They were both fucked up on drugs. They know I hate drugs. But I'm in here because I hate drugs and 'cause I love them. I yelled at them and they they just laughed. They laughed at me. It's funny, you know, with one eye, I can see finally that they are becoming the men I made them. I got about three months, 'til I'm up for parole.. All I want is to get our of here be there for them. Try to help my kids, that's all.
- Tim McManus: If I put you back into Em City, you'll kill Beecher.
- Vern Schillinger: If I wanted him dead, he'd already be dead.
- Tim McManus: You say you've changed. Why should I believe you?
- Vern Schillinger: (smiles) Trust me, McManus. You lose an eye, you get kicked in the balls, you get a face full of shit, you become a different man.
- Vern Schillinger: I don't wanna fight.
- Tobias Beecher: Oh, no. Course not. You get into a fight, you fuck up your parole. And I hear for the next three months, you're gonna be a good little boy, so you can get outta Oz, see your two sons. You know, I think that's great. But, you know what I'm wondering? What if Vern doesn't get out? What if, as he comes up for parole, he gets into a brawl, a knock-down, drag-out with his old roomie? What if every time he comes up for parole, Vern gets into some ugly incident and has to serve his entire sentence? And his two sons, they become monsters. That's what I'm wondering about. Prag.
- Kareem Said: I'm gonna try one more time with you, McManus. Now, I am not saying that the men in Oz are innocent. I am saying they are not here because of the crimes that they committed, but because of the color of their skin, the lack of education, the fact that they are poor. You see, this riot is not about getting smoking back, conjugal rights, it's not even about life in prison. It's about society taking responsibility. It's about the whole horrid judicial system. And we don't need more prisons, bigger prisons, better prisons. We need better justice. Now what can you do about that?
- Augustus Hill: Yeah, who cares who lives or dies in prison? We read their names in the morning paper and they mean nothing to us! They're faceless! Truth is we don't want to put a face on them! We don't want to know who they really are because then it might hit too close to home. And home is what it's all about, right? Making a home no matter where you are, no matter who you are. At the end of the day, all of us need somewhere to rest. Somewhere to lay our bones. Even if it's in a land called Oz. Yeah, like Dorothy says when she wakes up in her own bed back at Aunt Em's: "There's no place like home. There's no fucking place like home."
The Tip [2.1]Edit
- Alvah Case: Ryan O'Reily. Vehicular manslaughter, reckless endangerment, possession of controlled substances, possession of a deadly weapon, violation of parole. That's an amazing list of crimes.
- Ryan O'Reily: Well, you know, I applied myself.
- Alvah Case: You can't have it both ways, governor! If the prisoners are guilty, so are you.
- James Devlin: This is not the attitude I expect from my next Attorney-General.
- Alvah Case: You know something. I don't want to be Attorney-General. I want to be GOVERNOR!
- James Devlin: What?
- Alvah Case: I'll see you on the campaign trail, Devlin.
Ancient Tribes [2.2]Edit
- Gloria Nathan: You may have breast cancer.
- Ryan O'Reily: (laughs) That's funny.
- Gloria Nathan: I'm not kidding.
- Ryan O'Reily: Breast cancer? Girls get breast cancer.
- Gloria Nathan: Men do too. It's rare, especially at your age, but it does happen.
- Ryan O'Reily: I'm not a fag, you know. I've been in this shithole for over a year, and I ain't ever taken it up the ass!
- Gloria Nathan: No one is saying that you have!
- Ryan O'Reily: Bullshit! You're telling me I've got a chick's disease!
- Gloria Nathan: Men have breasts, the same as women.
- Ryan O'Reily: What the fuck you talking about? I ain't got breasts, I got a chest! (pulls open his shirt) See it? Huh, see it?!
- Tobias Beecher: Who are you?
- Agamemnon Busmalis: Agamemnon Busmalis, a.k.a. 'The Mole'.
- Bob Rebadow: The Mole?
- Agamemnon Busmalis: I dig. I can dig anywhere. I'm gonna dig my way out of Oz.
- Tobias Beecher: Reading Mein Kampf? Let me tell you how it ends. The Aryans get their asses kicked!
- Tobias Beecher: Thank God I'm crazy, 'cause I don't give a shit!
Great Men [2.3]Edit
- Shirley: [looking around her new cell] How comfy.
- O'Reily: I can't figure out why the fuck you care, but I'm glad you do. No one's ever given a shit about me my whole life, so I'm not very good at saying thanks.
- O'Reily: Would you fucking relax?
- Shannen: Don't get pissy with me! I'm the one who's thinking of you!
- Schillinger: We can rule Oz!
- Hill: Evil is the only thing that has survived intact these past thousand years.
Losing Your Appeal [2.4]Edit
- Kareem Said: Quickest way to find the needle: burn the haystack.
- Judge Grace Lema: I've been a judge for 16 years. I've made over 2500 decisions. Most of them were good. But only one has haunted me. Yours. You see, I've always prided myself on being fair. That in my court, justice was truly blind. But in your case, that little girl, her parents crying, you being a member of the bar, your prior arrest for DUl, the senselessness of it all, it caught up with me. I was quick-tempered and spiteful to the point where I can't tell if I gave you a fair trial. Now seeing you like this, I-- I think maybe the punishment exceeded the crime. And I'm...well...
- Tobias Beecher: You're what? Sorry? Your Honour, you used all your power to crush me. But the truth is, I did kill Cathy Rockwell. And as much as I tried to manipulate the legal system to get off, to get out of it, I took her life. According to the law, each crime is worth a certain number of years. You gave me a maximum of 15 years in this fuckhole! Is that too much? Too harsh? Not enough? I don't know. You say you're haunted by what you did? Well, so am I. And if you came here for me to forgive you you've come to the wrong man. He ceased to exist the day Cathy Rockwell did. And you're not gonna get any more peace out of him than I do out of her.
- Augustus Hill: What makes us wanna fuck somebody? ls it the colour of their eyes, the shape of their legs, the spike of their heels? Or is it what the poets tell us? That there's something deeper, a shared loss. A longing to find someone who knows the depth of our sadness. Some people search their whole lives for that someone. Some find them, some don't. Some fool themselves into believing they're in love. And in Oz, most times, the illusion is better than reality.
Family Bizness [2.5]Edit
- Hill: Families! Our families determine who we are, determine what we're not. How we relate to other people is based on the way we relate to the members of our families. No wonder the world's so fucked up.
- Adebisi: Little Nino, when you say things like that, it hurts. I just wanna be friends.
- Peter Schibetta: Friends, huh? Okay, pal-o-mine, how's about you go into the kitchen and get me a chocolate bar?
- Hill: Because we share the same blood with our family, we can ask them to do anything. Anything ! Lie, cheat, take a bullet. Only, don't ask to borrow their new Lexus. 'Cause then my man, you're crossing the line !
- Hill: Every once in a while, I remember something I did when I was a child. Or something that was done to me, by my father, or my brother, or a cousin. Some injury. Some humiliation. And it seems like... it happened to another person, a century or two ago. I'm not really sure if what I remember really took place at all. You can't build your life, relying on the perception of a little boy, or the echos of some memory. Nah. You got to let all that shit go. You gotta start, fresh. Every single day. You have got to start again.
Strange Bedfellows [2.6]Edit
- Peter Schibetta: You tell them I'm gonna handle Adebisi. I'm gonna get my honour back. By the end of today, either that fucking moolie or me is gonna be in a body bag.
- Miguel Alvarez: El Cid, it's an honor, man.
- Raoul "El Cid" Hernandez: Tu es Latino?
- Miguel Alvarez: Si.
- Raoul "El Cid" Hernandez: They lied to you, man. You're too fucking white to be Latino. Get the fuck out of my face.
- Gloria Nathan: I became a doctor to help people. Now, I know that that sounds like a cliche, it sounds naive, but it's true. I could have a fancy practice anywhere, but instead I chose to work at Oz. I saved your life, O'Reily. And in return, you destroyed mine.
Animal Farm [2.7]Edit
- Hill: Hey Schillinger.
- Vern Schillinger: What do you want?
- Hill: How much would it cost to mail me out of here?
- Vern Schillinger: Mail you? What are you talking about?
- Hill: I've been trying to think of ways to get out of here.
- Vern Schillinger: Escape from Oz?
- Hill: Yeah. And I figured, you know, you could box me up in a crate and mail me to my wife overnight express, Priority Mail, whatever. How much would that cost? Postage, shipping, handling, et cetera?
- Vern Schillinger: Are you serious?
- Hill: Yeah.
- Vern Schillinger: Then you're nuts.
- Hill: Is that a no?
- Vern Schillinger: Yeah. No. No, yeah, it's a no. Get the fuck out of here before I tip you over.
- Hill: All right, Vern, I ain't mad at you. You can't help it if you're ugly and stupid.
- Busmalis: Relax. You're suffering from PBS.
- Rebadow: PBS?
- Busmalis: Pre-Bunny Syndrome. It happens quite often in my line of work. You dig and dig and dig, and just before you have to make like a little bunny and go through the hole, you panic.
- Rebadow: This is real? Pre-Bunny Syndrome?
- Busmalis: Oh, yeah. I mean, I made the name up, but sure.
- Alvarez: They say the eyes are the windows to the soul.
- Officer Rivera: The fuck you talking about?
- Alvarez: Nice to see you.
- Said: Beecher, don't do this.
- Tobias Beecher: Do what?
- Said: Drink.
- Tobias Beecher: You like to dabble in peoples' lives, huh? Because you're so much better than us, because you've seen the light. You've seen the face of God. So you wave your dick around trying to help us lowly mortals. Hill, Mershah, Groves, Jefferson Keane. Fuck, you helped Jefferson Keane right into a lethal injection. So in the end, when all is said and done, who have you really fucking helped? Other than yourself?
- Said: [proudly] Poet.
- Tobias Beecher: Poet? I just saw on the news, he killed a man. He's coming back to Oz.
- Adebisi: Sometimes it's good to be human.
Escape From Oz [2.8]Edit
- Bob Rebadow: In all my years at Oz, I've learned one rule: accept the hand you're dealt.
- Jonathan Coushaine: I say we institute a "no swearing" rule.
- El Cid: Fuck you.
- Augustus Hill: Suck my dick.
- Kenny Wangler: Asswipe.
- Ryan O'Reily: Cocksucker.
- Chucky Pancamo: You stupid cunt.
- Jaz Hoyt: Putz.
- McManus: If nobody has anything more intelligent to say, this meeting is adjourned.
- Reporter: Mr. Said, how do you feel?
- Kareem Said: How do I feel? I feel joyless. My brothers remain behind. Imprisoned, suppressed. I don't just mean my Muslim brothers, I mean every single man that will sleep in here tonight, that was cut off from everything that he loves. Cut off from his own self. You know, as the word went around that the Governor was gonna give somebody clemency, I saw a rift develop as each inmate wished himself to be the chosen one. The longing to be free became as palpable as the food that we eat. But it is a meal that I am being served right now. And I am Muslim. And Allah does not allow me to swallow certain things. Allah does not allow me to take scraps from the hands of a man such as this. A man who is corrupt and immoral. A man who denigrates the gift of clemency just as he violates the principles of justice. A man that gave the order that caused the death of eight people. And so, Governor Devlin, because even the cost of freedom can be too high, I refuse your pardon!
The Truth And Nothing But... [3.1]Edit
- Augustus Hill: The name on the street for the Oswald Maximum Security Penitentiary. Only, big news: They've changed the name. It's now called the Oswald State Correctional Facility, level four. I don't know what the difference is. Leo Glynn is still warden, Sister Peter Marie is still in psych, Tim McManus is still unit manager of Emerald City, and I know for damn sure none of us have changed. Beecher is still in the hospital after Schillinger and Keller broke his bones. Alvarez is still in solitary after blinding a CO. Adebisi, still in the loony ward, after changing hats. Maybe it's truth in advertising. Maybe by getting rid of the word "penitentiary" the state is finally admitting that nobody's penitent. Nobody's sorry. Nobody.
- Tim McManus: I may be blind, but I'm not dumb.
- Tim McManus: Metzger, I know who you are. I know what you are.
- Karl Metzger: All I am is a highly trained underpaid member of the Correctional Officers Benevolent Association. But if I am what you think I am you should tiptoe.
- Tim McManus: Is that a threat?
- Karl Metzger: I'm merely reminding you who your friends are. Remember who you want standing next to you when one of these fucks comes after you with a knife.
- Augustus Hill: Truth is a powerful thing. It can right a wrong, or make a bad thing worse. In Oz the truth is, if the facts don't fit the truth, fuck the facts.
Napoleon's Boney Parts [3.2]Edit
- Tim McManus: At Attica, you organized a boxing program, right?
- Sean Murphy: Yeah.
- Tim McManus: Maybe we could try something like that here.
- Sean Murphy: Great, now all we need is time, gloves, and a good insurance policy.
- Augustus Hill: I used to box.
- Ryan O'Reily: Where? In the Special Olympics?
- Vern Schillinger: (upon hearing that Keller was stabbed in the back) Mr. Keller's got about three or four assholes now!
- Augustus Hill: In my 'hood, you had to learn to run before you learned to walk.
- Antonio Nappa: Why would you want to transfer out of the cafeteria to take care of a bunch of fags?
- Simon Adebisi: Don't like fags?
- Antonio Nappa: What do you think?
- Simon Adebisi: Out there, I hated them. But here sometimes you need your dick sucked.
- Antonio Nappa: That's one of the many differences between you and me. I got self-control.
- Gloria Nathan: You're HIV-positive.
- Antonio Nappa: What?
- Gloria Nathan: I'm sorry.
- Antonio Nappa: Doctor, that is not possible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to get AIDS is by having sex or sharing a needle. I haven't done either, and I'm not Haitian.
- Sister Peter Marie: I know that Tobias was in love with you and that you broke his arms and his legs.
- Chris Keller: Jesus Christ, you put it that way it makes me sound so cold.
Unnatural Disasters [3.4]Edit
- Mineo: It's a boy! A bouncing, baby boy. Your son arrived yesterday.
- Vern Schillinger: Which unit's he in?
- Mineo: Your favorite: Emerald City.
- Leo Glynn: You must really love your son, Schillinger, to come in here and ask me for a favor. It must be chewing up your insides to have to stand here in my office begging me for your son's life. 'Cause this is what you're doing, right? Begging?
- Vern Schillinger: Yes.
- Leo Glynn: Think of all the times I needed something from you and you just sit here with that stupid-ass grin on your face singing "doodah."
- Vern Schillinger: This is my son, goddamn it!
- Leo Glynn: I thought you had two sons.
- Vern Schillinger: Yeah, I do.
- Leo Glynn: Maybe you'll be luckier with the second.
- Kareem Said: I am black, I am a Muslim, and I am a man. And sometimes those three things, they war with each other.
U.S. Male [3.5]Edit
- Ryan O'Reily: Let me get this straight. You aim for the doctor, but you got the son instead.
- William Cudney: No, I aimed for the son.
- Ryan O'Reily: You took out the kid on purpose?
- William Cudney: Yeah. Now that doctor knows how I feel. He killed my baby, I killed his.
- Cyril O'Reily: What are you gonna say to him when you see him?
- William Cudney: Who?
- Cyril O'Reily: The doctor's son up in Heaven. I already know what I'm gonna say to Dr. Nathan's husband if they let me in.
- Eugene Rivera: [to Alvarez, who has blinded him] I hate you, Alvarez you fucking motherfucker. 'Cause of you I gotta carry around all this shit in the dark. If it wasn't for Tina, I would have killed myself already. Sometimes I think I should kill myself for her sake so she could start a new life without me. Some days, Alvarez, I wish you would have killed me instead of doing this. I can't cry anymore. Did you know that? You made it so I can't cry.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: Kosygin is no pal of mine. I'm a Jew. He's Cossack. In my community, he's feared for his savagery. You Sicilians think you're so tough. He would cut out your heart, eat it, and not think twice.
- Vern Schillinger: Those are not the kind of men you should be hanging out with.
- Andrew Schillinger: As opposed to who? Those standup individuals that make up your merry little band? I gotta tell you something. My whole life, you crammed into my head how superior we white folks are. I don't see the truth in that. I look around this room and I see white faces and black faces, every color in between and the only thing that I know for sure is that we're all shit. You know, shit don't come in degrees. White or black, shit is shit. So fuck everything you believe in, fuck everything you stand for, and fuck you.
- Vern Schillinger: Don't you dare talk to me like that!
- Andrew Schillinger: Man, you hit me way too many times growing up!
Cruel and Unusual Punishments [3.6]Edit
- Yuri Kosygin: Unlike you, in Russia I was not a criminal. I was an educator. After the Soviets fell, things got so bleak in Moscow I decided to leave, to come to America.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: For a better life, right?
- Yuri Kosygin: Yes, for me and my wife. But we did not find a better life. I couldn't get employed teaching.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: Must have been terrible.
- Yuri Kosygin: Then I got this job painting a house, the house of Leonid Rodzinsky.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: He was in the Organizatsya.
- Yuri Kosygin: Yes. He treated me like shit, always making fun. Calling me "professor" and ordering me to clean his toilets. One day, he kicked me with his boot in front of my wife. I strangled him on the spot.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: It's closing time?
- Yuri Kosygin: Yes.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: All right, I'll go.
- Yuri Kosygin: Not till I finish my story.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: Strange. All this time, you've barely said two words. Now you're a regular bottum.
- Yuri Kosygin: It takes me time to warm up to people. I feel very close to you. I was possessed by guilt for killing Rodzinsky but I got a reputation for being ruthless. The Organizatsya hired me to exterminate someone else. The second time was easy.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: Yuri, please. I don't want to hear this.
- Yuri Kosygin: The third time, no problem at all.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: Yuri, please.
- Yuri Kosygin: At last count, I murdered at least 49 people. You have the honor of being my 50th.
- Claire Howell: You know what your problem is, Diane? You wanna be everybody's best pal.
- Diane Wittlesey: And your problem? You wanna be everybody's worst nightmare.
- Chris Keller: You saw my ex, Bonnie? When I met her, she was all alone, very unhappy. So I knew it would be easy to get her to fall in love with me. But what I didn't know was after I broke her heart would she still love me? See, I'm a piece of shit. I am worthless. As bad as they come. And to have someone keep loving me, no matter how bad... [pause] You happy now? You got me to open up and spill my guts all over your table. Breakthrough.
Secret Identities [3.7]Edit
- Antonio Nappa: Jesus. You look a lot like my ex-wife.
- Nat Ginzberg: Thanks.
- Antonio Nappa: That's not a compliment.
- Chucky Pancamo: In his day, Antonio Nappa was a great man. He was like a father to me. Well, more like an uncle.
- Augustus Hill: People are defined by three things: Their heads: how they think. Their hearts: what they feel. Their dicks: who they fuck. At the end of the day, each of us has to answer one question. One, not so simple question. Who am I?
Out o' Time [3.8]Edit
- Miguel Alvarez: Alone is alone. It's the way I've been my whole fucking life. I just don't belong in the world.
- Nikolai Stanislofsky: Forgive me. We Russians, we are suspicious of everyone.
- Augustus Hill: Everybody's worried about this Y2K problem. Come 2000, the computers are gonna have a nervous breakdown. Planes will fall from the sky, the water supply will dry up and the Pentagon will start shooting nuclear warheads at Canada. Some predict that prison doors will automatically spring open. But I got the solution: A do-over. At the stroke of midnight, it's 1900 again and we get to do the whole fucking century over. I mean, let's face it. We didn't do such a hot job the first time around.
- Augustus Hill: A bunch of men sit in cells on the brink of a new year a new century, a new millennium. They stare into the future and all they see is themselves in those same cells. Black or white, here we are on the precipice. We either hang on or we fall off. Together or separately. It's our choice. It's up to us. It's up to you and me. Happy New Year!
A Cock And Balls Story [4.01]Edit
- Tim McManus: A cannibal eats somebody else's flesh.
- Sean Murphy: So what do you call a guy who eats his own flesh?
- Tim McManus: Inventive.
- Chris Keller: [to Beecher] You know what? Oz didn't make you a bitch. You were born one.
- Shirley: She was cheating on you?
- Moses: Yeah. With her husband.
- Shirley: They were married?
- Moses: Bitch told me they was through. I don't fuck with another man's wife! I got principles.
- Shirley: Oh, I love a man with principles.
- McManus: She fell in love with a bobby?
- Sister Pete: No, not a bobby, Tim! He's a guard. He guards the queen.
- McManus: Well, then I'm sure they'll have a lot in fucking common!
- Beecher: I don't want to love him, but I do.
- O'Reily: A little birdie told me a secret about you and I just came to see if it was true. You got a cell phone?
- Nikolai: No.
- O'Reily: Oh. Then I guess that's what I get for listening to little birdies. Because if you did have a cell phone, you'd let me borrow it. You'd share, right?
- Nikolai: Share? No. Rent, maybe, if I had one, which I don't.
- O'Reily: I know. You told me, and I believe you. Because that's just the kind of friendship we have, right?
- Nikolai: Right.
- O'Reily: So sorry to bother you.
- Nikolai: Not a problem.
- O'Reily: Bye, Nikolai.
The Bill of Wrongs [4.03]Edit
- Enrique Morales: I'm not like Hernandez or Guerra. They're spics, old-school thugs. Me, I'm a businessman. I like Armani suits, I surf the net.
- Shirley Bellinger: I want to be lost in oblivion.
- Shirley Bellinger: You forgive me?
- Zeke Bellinger: Yes.
- Shirley Bellinger: What makes you think I want your fucking forgiveness?
- Zeke Bellinger: Now, Shirley, don't cuss.
- Shirley Bellinger: You come in here all high and mighty deciding to free me of my guilt? Well, Zeke, I don't feel guilty. I did what l had to do, and unlike you, at least my balls were big enough. You came to console me? Well, I've got a little consolation prize for you. You and the chanteuse ought to go ahead and have yourselves another child, because when Katie died, you didn't lose a child. She wasn't yours.
- Zeke Bellinger: What?
- Shirley Bellinger: Your father raped me. That child was his seed.
Works of Mercy [4.04]Edit
- Augustus Hill: Mercy is the compassion we feel for someone else's misfortune. Mercy compels us to alleviate that misfortune. Mercy is a child of charity, but the sister of justice because both are about the invisible link that exists between people. Mercy is spontaneous because misery is involuntary.
- Bob Rebadow: An extraordinary experience watching the life fade from someone's eyes. Even as he was dying, Hernandez's instinct was to kill me for killing him. Survival meant less to him than revenge.
- Martin Querns: The warden is correct. I have served in many correctional facilities, but what he didn't say was that, like most of you, I come from the streets. I'm not some candy-ass, white liberal looking to turn you into better citizens. I intend to meet with each of you individually, but until that time, keep one principle in mind: don't fuck with Querns.
- Leo Glynn: You only see the world as black and white. Trust me, life is gray, as gray as these fucking walls.
- Reporter: Shirley, do you have any thoughts as the hour approaches?
- Shirley Bellinger: Thoughts? Of course I have thoughts, how could I not?
- Reporter: Would you share them with us?
- Shirley Bellinger: Sure. I'm wondering why anyone cares what my thoughts are. Sure as hell didn't care when my husband was drunk and beat me or when my father-in-law raped me. No, it wasn't until I killed my daughter, till I did something horrific that what I think matters. All I wanted was for someone to pay attention, and now that you finally are, I see that my life, then or now, isn't worth shit. Oh, if I say shit, you can't use this, right? I'm not supposed to say, shit, on the air, am I?
Gray Matter [4.05]Edit
- Augustus Hill: The criminal mind-- For the past 200 years, scientists, sociologists and other folks who fret about such things, have debated whether a person commits a violent act because of their environment or their biological makeup. What turns on the red crime light in a man's brain? lf we find the cause, can we eliminate the effect? Can we end violence now and forever?
- James Robson: Beecher hasn't been out of his cell for two solid days. He just lies in his bunk sobbing like a wuss.
- Vern Schillinger: Good. That's what's truly elegant about this plan of mine. We don't physically touch Beecher, and yet the damage done is far more hideous.
- Tobias Beecher: It's funny, I can't cry. I don't have any more tears left.
- Augustus Hill: Genetics or environment? Like in everything else, society searches for the magic bullet-- the easy answer, 'cause the more complex the answer is, the more terrified we become. Is the root of violence much deeper, much darker? How about pure evil? Maybe we human creatures are inherently evil. Maybe evil is ingrained, embedded in our souls. Flip Wilson used to joke, The Devil made me do it. Maybe he was right. Or maybe not.
A Word to the Wise [4.06]Edit
- Don Zanghi: Chucky, are you afraid of dying?
- Chucky Pancamo: No.
- Claire Howell: (knocking on cell door) What the fuck you doing with a cigarette, Pancamo?
- Chucky Pancamo: Smoking it.
- Claire Howell: Put it out, now! Or I'm coming in there.
- Chucky Pancamo: Now her? I'm afraid of.
- Chris Keller: [to Schillinger] Hey, Vern. Four marriages, I never had any kids, so I don't know dick about parenting, but you, fuck, you deserve some sort of prize. One son, you give him drugs knowing he'll OD. The other you set up for lethal injection. You're father of the fucking year, but you know what the best news is? When both your sons are dead, that'll be the end of it, 'cause you ain't making any more children. Not in here. So that when you die, your name dies with you. Everything you are dies when you do. And the world'll be a better place.
- Ryan O'Reily: I do things different here in Oz than the way we worked on the street. For instance, when I want someone dead, I never grease them myself. I always-- I always talk someone else into doing the deed for me. I make them believe the person I want dead is their enemy. That way the kill can't be traced back to me.
- Patrick Keenan: That's so cool.
- Ryan O'Reily: You got, what, seven years till parole?
- Patrick Keenan: Uh-huh.
- Ryan O'Reily: You think you'll go the distance?
- Patrick Keenan: Sure, I'll get out.
- Ryan O'Reily: Yeah. That's good. You keep believing that, Patrick. You know how I said that I always get someone to kill for me?
- Patrick Keenan: Yeah.
- Ryan O'Reily: Well in your case, I'm gonna make an exception.
A Town Without Pity [4.07]Edit
- Vern Schillinger: Look, I said I'd protect you from Keller. I'll protect you. Okay?
- Eli Zabitz: Okay.
- Vern Schillinger: Now buzz off.
- [Zabitz leaves]
- Vern Schillinger: Jesus, I thought the Jews were supposed to be tough.
- James Robson: That's just the Israelis.
- Vern Schillinger: Hmm. Kill him. I'm going to take that shot again.
- Vern Schillinger: [about Zabitz] He dead?
- James Robson: Heart attack.
- Vern Schillinger: Jesus. I told him you got to watch that red meat.
- Tobias Beecher: I prefer to be happy, but self-hate will do in a pinch.
- Augustus Hill: Seven out of 10 inmates are from cities, but 90% of the prisons themselves are in rural areas. You know, farmland, hillsides, forests. Now you'd think such bucolic surroundings would have a calming effect on those inside. But no, out in the wild, things only get wilder.
- Augustus Hill: We are both of us, the same, Mobay. Cop killers. Except every single day, I wish I could take back what I'd done.
- Johnny Basil/Desmond Mobay: Goergen was a monster.
- Augustus Hill: Yeah, it takes a monster to kill a monster, right?
You Bet Your Life [4.08]Edit
- Simon Adebisi: See, we are all of us bad men, even you. I know you have come to destroy me.
- Kareem Said: Simon, I don't want to destroy you. I want to help you change.
- Simon Adebisi: That is what would destroy me.
- Tim McManus: All right, listen up, everybody. I'm ba-ack.
Medium Rare [4.09]Edit
- Augustus Hill: Journalists are supposed to be impartial. They're supposed to keep their personal opinions to themselves. However, on TV, we know what the reporter is feeling. We see Sam Donaldson or Andrea Mitchell giving us the facts, but with the camera that close up we can also tell by a raised eyebrow or a tiny inflection what they really think about the person they're reporting on. Now, Walter Cronkite, he had the poker face. Nobody ever knew what ol' Walt was thinking. So while he was telling the truth, he was also lying to the camera. That's genius!
- Tim McManus: Now, when you violate the rules, instead of sending you to the hole, we're going to stick you inside that cage in full view of your adoring public. Any questions?
- Chris Keller: Yes, Mr. McManus, sir. How big is your penis?
- Omar White: Shit, he called me a drug abuser, man. I ain't no drug abuser, Jack. I mean, truth be told, son, I treat my drugs better than most.
- Vern Schillinger: I'm just sick of all this horseshit. I want to concentrate on the birth of my first grandchild. You know, I just want a little taste of happiness.
- James Robson: Vern, you're starting to scare me.
- Burr Redding: I grew up in the ghetto. Pops died when I was 10. I had to quit school, support my family by doing some of everything, from shining shoes to shooting craps. I went to Vietnam, where they taught me how to kill small children and women. I've been in all kind of penitentiaries from Arizona to Alabama and back. And I say all this not out of pride or shame. I just want to make sure that you grasp that l already grasped how things work around here.
- Arnold "Poet" Jackson: Look, old man, let me tell you something--
- Burr Redding: You think old man bothers me? Boy, I done had a whole lot of men tougher than you, you that called me worse didn't make it to old. My age is my honor and my strength.
- Arnold "Poet" Jackson: Shit, you think you can just come up here and take control?
- Burr Redding: Some people are born leaders, others are not. A wise man knows his own limitations. You think on that.
Revenge is Sweet [4.11]Edit
- Chris Keller: You know, sometimes I think I killed all those guys 'cause I wanted to kill the part of me I despise.
- Augustus Hill: When you take revenge on somebody, you are actually paying them the highest compliment possible. It's like saying, You affected my life to such an extent that I must reciprocate. I must affect your life as deeply as you have mine. Revenge may be the ultimate Hallmark card. Yeah. When you think of it like that, the cliche is true: Revenge is sweet.
Cuts Like a Knife [4.12]Edit
- Jeremiah Cloutier: You're afraid of losing Kirk to Christ.
- Ray Mukada: He already has Christ.
- Jeremiah Cloutier: That is not Christ. That is show biz on a stick.
- Ray Mukada: Show biz? You, of all people, you have turned faith into a cartoon.
- Jeremiah Cloutier: Be careful, Father. Anger, envy. Those are two of the seven deadly sins.
- James Robson: Yeah, your kid was involved in all kinds of shit. Drug deals and pimping. So there's any number of people who might want him dead.
- Vern Schillinger: This is you consoling me?
- Jeremiah Cloutier: Why don't we pray together?
- Vern Schillinger: How does the quote go? There is a time to be born, a time to die, a time for every purpose under heaven?
- Jeremiah Cloutier: Yes.
- Vern Schillinger: Well, the time for praying is over.
- Vern Schillinger: What's your best memory of your son?
- Tobias Beecher: The first time he came up unprompted and hugged me and said, "Daddy, I love you."
- Vern Schillinger: Beecher, I promise not to hurt your daughter or anybody else in your family. See, I wanna believe that you are innocent of killing Hank. I wanna believe because I need to believe in something. Something besides hate. This grandchild that's coming is my last chance. My last hope. I want this kid to put his arms around my neck and say, "I love you." Because see, I never had that before.
- Tobias Beecher: I am sorry about your son.
- Vern Schillinger: I'm sorry about yours too.
- Tobias Beecher: Do you really think we're gonna get into heaven?
- Chris Keller: You and me together? God doesn't have the balls to keep us out.
Blizzard Of 01 [4.13]Edit
- Clayton Hughes: For the first time, I know who I am, my true self, the thing I was born to do. I can change the world.
- Augustus Hill: When I was 10 years old, I wanted a real job.
- Burr Redding: You wanted a paper route.
- Augustus Hill: Right. But instead, you had me selling smack.
- Burr Redding: Well, you got to learn the business.
- Augustus Hill: Why? Why did I need to learn how to sell drugs?
- Burr Redding: Because we didn't have any other options back then. Let me tell you something. I ain't going to apologize for who I am or what I done, all right? Do I wish things had been better? Sure. Do I wish we'd been born in one of them fancy mansions up there on Kellogg Boulevard? Sure. But I don't hope and I don't dream. I take a shit in this world, I see reality and I make the best of it.
- Augustus Hill: You ain't got to tell me about reality. I live in Oz. I live in this chair. And I wouldn't be here if you'd let me have the goddammed motherfucking paper route.
Orpheus Descending [4.14]Edit
- Augustus Hill: Back in the old Greek times there lived a man named Orpheus. Loved his wife, took it easy on the Ouzo, played a mean guitar. Upstanding guy. So what the almighty gods do? They fucked with him. Made his life Hades. Why? 'Cause that's what those in power do to those of us with none
- Hill: Love conquers all? Never has, never will.
Even the Score [4.15]Edit
- Yood: (after knocking Howell down a flight of stairs) Maybe I got lucky and she's dead.
- Robson: Yo! Sorry about what happened to Leroy Tidd, or Ooga booga, or whatever the fuck you called him.
[Said starts pounding on Robson]
- Robson: You fucking nigger!
- Said: NIGGER! You wanna see the nigger in me!
- Said: You wanna SEE the nigger in ME!
[continues beating Robson to a pulp]
- Robson: [in the hospital] That spade motherfuckin', that cock motherfuck, motherfuckin' NIGGER!
[cut to Muslims]
- Arif: The Aryans must be punished. We will NO LONGER tolerate their actions! From now on each and every one if us is on point!
[cut to Aryans]
- Schillinger: So Said's nigger ass is in the hole, it looks like Arif's in charge. These motherfuckers are more pissed off than ever. I want you guys to watch each other's backs. Carry weapons from now on. This shit's coming down and it's coming down hard.
Famous Last Words [4.16]Edit
- Hughes: I hereby declare this the Republic of Huru! Huru! Huru! Huru!
- Augustus Hill: Oz, the name on the street for the Oswald State Correctional Facility Level Four. Oz is filled with murderers, rapists, racists, drug dealers with the most common of criminals. But what is it that makes a man common? Better yet, what makes him unique? Winning wars, winning awards? No. What lifts a man out of the ordinary is who he loves and who loves him.
- Eugenia Hill: The tears are for Augustus, my little emperor. Locked in a cell, down in that wretched place, half his body dead. And damn all I keep thinking of is his first step.
- Augustus Hill: Yeah, yeah, yeah, lots of fine people have sat staring at the inside of prison walls. Socrates, Gandhi, Joan of Arc, Even our Lord Jesus Christ. He spent the last night of his life not with holy men, but with scum like the kind we've got in Oz. One of the last things Jesus did on earth was invite a prisoner to join him in heaven. He loved that criminal. I say, he loved that criminal as much as he loved anyone. Jesus knew in his heart it takes a lot to love a sinner. But the sinner, he needs it all the more.
Laws of Gravity [5.2]Edit
- Timmy Kirk: If you're not part of the solution, you're Satan's tool.
Dream A Little Dream of Me [5.3]Edit
Schillinger: You know, I always wondered. Was Adebisi's dick bigger than mine? [scoops up some black grease] You be the judge.
Next Stop, Valhalla [5.4]Edit
- Hill: All Vikings were not stupid brutes. They had moments of brilliance. They were such great shipbuilders and sailors that Leif Eriksson and his crew landed in America first. Some say, travelling as far South as New York harbour. Here's where the true brilliance comes in : they took a look, turned around and went home.
- Chris Keller: Show me your tits.
- Sister Pete: Don't do that.
- Chris Keller: Sorry.
- Timmy Kirk: I want to become a Roman Catholic again.
- Father Ray Mukada: No.
- Timmy Kirk: What? You can't refuse me!
- Father Ray Mukada: I sure as hell can.
Wheel of Fortune [5.5]Edit
- McManus: I'm sorry Rebadow, it's your word against his. The word of a correctional officer against the word of an inmate... who is known to talk to God.
- Faraj: You know, with all your warped ideology, I bet you never gave much thought to why Adolf was so pissed off at the Jews. One theory is that he was traumatized by the death of his mother. She died of breast cancer and she was in the care of a Jewish physician, so, of course, the repressed hatred erupted itself into the Holocaust. Now, another theory is that Hitler's father was the illegitimate son of a German woman and some obscure Jewish man, and so Hitler himself had impure blood - Hey, now, now don't make me slip, because if I do, we are both in trouble, hmm? You know, it's amazing. We don't even know where these gums come from. I mean, this could be the gums of a kike, a spic, or even a faggot. You could be getting the beautiful gums of a big, black nigger.
- Cyril O'Reily: We have to give the puppet a name.
- Sister Pete: Good. What do you want to call him?
- Cyril O'Reily: Jericho.
- Sister Pete: Why Jericho?
- Cyril O'Reily: 'Cause the walls came tumbling down.
- Sister Pete: I want to find the three men who raped Schibetta.
- Leo Glynn: Why?
- Sister Pete: Why, Leo? Why?
- Leo Glynn: Look, we're doing everything we can to keep the number of reported rapes down.
- Sister Pete: Reported? Listen to you. Your own daughter was raped.
- Leo Glynn: This is different. This is Oz.
- Sister Pete: Rape is rape, Leo.
- Leo Glynn: I don't agree. Here, rape has a a leveling effect. Peter Schibetta, from the day he arrived, wanted to be a tough guy, wanted to follow in his father's footsteps, running things, hurting people. Well, he got stopped by Adebisi. Now he got stopped again.
- Franklin Winthrop: How the mighty have fallen.
- Adam Guenzel: Fuck you, faggot.
- Vern Schillinger: Guenzel.
- Adam Guenzel: Hey, Vern. The boys in Em City send their regards.
- Vern Schillinger: Shut up.
- Adam Guenzel: Hey, I was just - [Vern slaps Guenzel] God, what the fuck was -
- Vern Schillinger: You'll speak when you're spoken to.
- [Aryans drag Guenzel into a broom closet to rape him]
- Adam Guenzel: Hey, get the fuck off me! Get off of me!
- Franklin Winthrop: Sir, sir, may I watch?
- Vern Schillinger: Well, if you don't, how are you ever gonna learn?
Good Intentions [5.7]Edit
- Yood: Don't take any wooden nickels.
- Keller: Do you think Jesus was a fag?
- Sister Peter Marie: What?
- Keller: Do you think Jesus was a fag? It's a legitimate question.
- Sister Peter Marie: Are you trying to provoke me? Mock my religion?
- Keller: Nope, just looking for a role model. Jesus was divine and human simultaneously, right?
- [Sister nods]
- Keller: Did the divine part control his sexual appetites? And if so, what chance have I got? I'm not divine, far from it, and I mean all my life anytime I've gotten the urge... I've stuck my cock into any cavity that was open and available.
- Arif: You were right Imam, Allah has punished him for his sins.
- [to Robson]
- Arif: Hey, how's the mouth?
Dead Man Talking [6.1]Edit
- Augustus Hill: Let me tell you, dying is a lot harder on the living than it is on the dead. Death really only hurts those left behind.
See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Smell No Evil [6.2]Edit
- Ryan O'Reily: Hey Chucky, you've got a minute?
- Chucky Pancamo: For you O'Reily, I've got only 28 seconds. But the way you double-talk, it should be plenty.
- Timmy Kirk: [to Mukada] When I am executed, you will be stripped of your ministry, you will be abandoned by Holy Mother Church and you will spend the rest of your days wandering aimlessly and without hope. In death I will be triumphant.
- James Robson: I don't really have anyone else to talk to in this place.
- Sister Pete: That's what I'm here for.
- James Robson: You ever been scared of dying?
- Sister Pete: Oh, yeah. My first year here, a man named Warren Sticks, we were in the middle of a session and suddenly he leapt out of his chair and started to choke me. I blacked out, and when I came to I was lying in a pool of blood, his blood. He had slit his wrists with the edge of my tape dispenser. I realized he was attempting to knock me out so he could kill himself.
- James Robson: You remember that sensation, thinking you were gonna die?
- Sister Pete: Is that how you feel now?
- James Robson: I've felt that way every day since as long as I can remember.
- Sister Pete: How far back is that?
- James Robson: Much further than I'd like. I was Gerald Robson's only child. Even as a kid, you do what you gotta do to survive, 'cause when you're six, running away is not an option.
- Sister Pete: Did he beat you?
- James Robson: Oh, yeah. And worse.
- Sister Pete: Did he abuse you sexually?
- James Robson: It's funny, here I am 36 years old, and I got nowhere to run. You know? And I-I guess what what I want to know is: Is it okay to do whatever is necessary to survive?
Sonata Da Oz [6.3]Edit
A Failure to Communicate [6.4]Edit
- Hill: A man stands in a cemetery, reading a letter he wrote forgiving his long dead father. The mother of a girl killed by a drunk driver is racked by fantasies of retaliation. Your boyfriend begs you for one more chance. You say to the mirror you're done hating yourself. But you know you're not. Maybe instead of forgive and forget, it should be forgive and remember. Remember that you might have to wake up tomorrow and forgive all over again. And again,and again, the way your heart keeps beating like a drum. Forgive. I can't. You can. Forgive. Forgive. I can't. You can. Forgive.
A Day in the Death... [6.6]Edit
Junkyard Dawgs [6.7]Edit
- Guerra: Marriage ain't marriage without sex.
- Idzik: So don't you see? Everything that we do, the plans we make, the hopes we have, they're futile. Being good at a job, which I was, building a home, which I did, raising a family...which I had, none of it means anything because no matter how we try, how much we strive and struggle, it'll all come to naught. Life is a waste of time. So, that's why I'm counting on you to kill me. You will, won't you?
- Hill: Forget about having too much garbage, too many bottles, cans, watermelon rinds, disposable baby diapers and such. What's really terrifying in terms of the long term health of the planet is toxic waste. Toxic waste, you can't put two worse words together except maybe (pause) nuclear war.
- Schillinger: But Beecher knows too much about both of us. He's gotta die.
- Keller: Yeah.
- Schillinger: I'll deal with it.
- Keller: No, I'll kill Beecher.
- Schillinger: You?
- Keller: Before I whack him, I just wanna fuck him in the ass one more time.
- Keller: I concocted this whole god damned thing just to convince you that I'm on the up and up. Now, if I was really siding with Schillinger, Toby, you'd be dead already. But instead...all I really want...is for you to love me again. [Forces a kiss on Beecher]
- Torquemada: Miguel Alvarez. I hear you're the man to know.
- Alvarez: Whoever told you that was an idiot.
Exeunt Omnes [6.8]Edit
- Miguel Alvarez: I'm so tired. I'm tired of trying. I'm tired of the walls. The lies. The fear. The death. I'm so tired.
- Vern Schillinger: You're a dead man, sweetpea. [Vern is stabbed and realizes that Keller switched the prop knife] That cocksucker!
- Chris Keller: If it weren't for me, you'd be in the morgue, instead of Schillinger.
- Tobias Beecher: Maybe.
- Chris Keller: Yeah.
- Tobias Beecher: But if you think I got any satisfaction out of killing him, you're wrong. You don't know me at all.
- Chris Keller: I don't know you? I know you're free of that Nazi fuck!
- Tobias Beecher: No, I'm not. No more free than I am of his two sons, or Metzger or Cathy Rockwell. Chris, after six years in this place I'm not sure about anything anymore. Heaven, justice, truth. The only thing I believe in is life. Every life is precious. Not just yours or mine, but every single person on the planet who's breathing, their lives are precious. And the loss of a single life, even in Oz, is my loss, too.
- Chris Keller: Well, that's bullshit. The only thing that matters is you and me.
- Tobias Beecher: I don't expect you to understand. You kill for sport.
- Chris Keller: I don't understand? I'm not the one who got here by accident, pal. I kill because I have to. I kill what stands in my way like the Aryans.
- Tobias Beecher: What? What about the Aryans?
- Chris Keller: That they're no threat to us anymore. I took care of that.
- Tobias Beecher: How? How'd you take care of it?
- Chris Keller: Never mind, kiss me.
- Tobias Beecher: Wait. Answer me this first, okay?
- Chris Keller: Hmm?
- Tobias Beecher: I want you to be honest, okay? Did you purposely fuck up my parole?
- Chris Keller: Toby, I couldn't face the rest of my life living in here without you. Don't you see? I did what I did out of love.
- Tobias Beecher: If you really love me, then leave me alone.
- Chris Keller: I can't.
- Tobias Beecher: Listen to me. Listen to me. I loved alcohol. I loved heroin. I had to put them behind me because they were poison. Death. You are death. Let me live.
- Tobias Beecher: When God was designing the universe why did he make something so wonderful so fucking painful?
- Sister Pete: I think he thought we could handle it.
- Augustus Hill: So, what have we learned? What's the lesson for today, for all the never-ending days and restless nights in Oz? That morality is transient? That virtue cannot exist without violence? That to be honest is to be flawed? That the giving and taking of love both debases and elevates us? That God or Allah or Yahweh has answers to questions we dare not even ask? The story is simple. A man lives in prison and dies. How he dies that's easy. The who and the why is the complex part the human part the only part worth knowing. Peace.
- Harold Perrineau - Augustus Hill
- Dean Winters - Ryan O`Reily
- Scott William Winters - Cyril O`Reily
- Terry Kinney - Tim McManus
- Rita Moreno - Sister Peter Marie Reimondo
- J.K. Simmons - Vernon 'Vern' Schillinger
- Eamonn Walker - Kareem Said
- Christopher Meloni - Christopher 'Chris' Keller
- Lee Tergesen - Tobias 'Toby' Beecher
- Ernie Hudson - Warden Leo Glynn
- Kirk Acevedo - Miguel Alvarez
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje - Simon Adebisi
- Lauren Vélez - Dr. Gloria Nathan
- muMs da Schemer - Arnold 'Poet' Jackson
- Philip Scozzarella - Officer Joseph Mineo
- George Morfogen - Robert 'Bob' Rebadow
- Chuck Zito - #97P468 Chuck Pancamo
- B.D. Wong - Father Ray Mukada
- R.E. Rodgers - #97R492 James Robson
- Zeljko Ivanek - Governor James Devlin
- Granville Adams - Zahir Arif
- Robert Clohessy - Officer Sean Murphy
- Kristin Rohde - Officer Claire Howell
- Edie Falco - Officer Diane Whittlesey
- David Zayas - Enrique Morales
- Eddie Malavarca - Peter Schibetta
- Austin Pendleton - #58G714 William Giles
- Mark Margolis - Antonio Nappa
- Luke Perry - Reverend Jeremiah Cloutier
- Luis Guzmán - Raoul 'El Cid' Hernandez
- Brian Bloom - Ronald Barlog
- Lord Jamar - Supreme Allah
- Nelson Vasquez - Officer Eugene Rivera
- Tom Mardirosian - Agamemnon 'The Mole' Busmalis
- Bobby Cannavale - Alonzo Torquemada