Legend (1985 film)
Legend is a 1985 fantasy film released by 20th Century Fox (in Europe) and Universal Pictures (in the U.S. and Canada), directed by Ridley Scott and starring Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, Tim Curry, Alice Playten, and Billy Barty.
Once long ago, before there was such
a thing as time, the world was shrouded
Then came the splendor of light,
bringing life and love into the Universe,
and the Lord of Darkness retreated deep
into the shadows of the earth, plotting
his return to power... by banishing light
But precious light is protected,
harbored in the souls of Unicorns, the
most mystical of all creatures.
Unicorns are safe from the Lord of
Darkness, they can only be found by
the purest of mortals... Such a mortal
is Jack, who lives in solitude with the
animals of the forest.
A beautiful girl named Lily loves Jack
with all her heart. In their innocence, they
believe only goodness exists in the world.
Together they will learn there can be
no good without evil... No love without
hate... No heaven without hell... No light
The harmony of the Universe
depends upon an eternal balance. Out
of the struggle to maintain this balance
comes the birth of Legends.
The Lord of DarknessEdit
- Mother Night! Fold your dark arms about me. Protect me in your black embrace. I sit alone, an impotent exile, whilst this form, this presence, returns to torment me!
- Every wolf suffers fleas. 'Tis easy enough to scratch!
- The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity. Dreams are my speciality. Through dreams, I influence mankind.
- You think you have won?! What is Light without Dark?! [laughs] I am a part of you all! You can never defeat me! We are brothers eternal!
- I know everything, Jack. Yet I do not understand what has happened today. Suppose you tell me, Jack? You know these woods as well as any elf. Did you not see something odd today, any strange spirits? Did nothing untoward happen?
- Honeythorn Gump
- Love you say? Well love is another matter.
- Honeythorn Gump
- Mortal world turned to ice... Here be goblin paradise!
- Look! Ugly one-horned mule!
- Blunder, speaking of the unicorns.
- She was so sweet, I could eat her brains like jam!
- Nobody knows but you, It's our secret Jack. Don't tell Gump, Promise, Promise! I could be anything you want me to be, even your heart's desire. You've got to help us Jack! A fairy's love makes anything possible.
- Jack [After Lily touches the unicorns]: What you did is forbidden.
- Lily: Who says so?
- Jack: It is known, Lily. These are sacred animals. You risk your immortal soul.
- Lily: I only wanted to touch one. Where is the harm in that?
- Lily: Are you afraid to kiss me Jack?
- Jack: I'm afraid you'll break my heart.
- Lily: Then still your heart. You're dear to me as life itself! Don't you wish this was our wedding ring?
- Jack: If I say yes, will my wish come true?
- Lily: I'm a princess. It's my right to set a challenge for my suitors. I will marry whoever finds this ring! [Lily throws the ring in a lake]
- Meg: "Foul tasting fairy! [sees Jack] Come to Meg, juicy boy! Who be this tender morsel to disturb Meg Mugglebones's rest."
- Jack: "Jack, they call me Jack mam."
- Meg: "Jack... What a fine, fat boy you are, Jack."
- Jack: You don't really mean to eat me, do you Ma'am?"
- Meg: Oh, indeed I do!"
- Jack: That would be a shame, because someone as fair and lovely as yourself Miss Meg, deserves far better than scrawny me. Don't you think?
- Meg: You think me fair, do you Jack?
- Jack: All the heavenly angels must envy your beauty!
- Meg: What a fine meal you will make, be the rest of you as sweet as your tongue!
- Jack: No wait! Fill your soul with loveliness! Feast on the beauty of your reflection. You are an angel miss Meg. Look!
- Screwball: There's only one thing I want to know.
- Brown Tom: What?
- Screwball: WHY ME?
- Blix: Wow. Forgive that intrusion, great lord, but goblins are inclined to be outspoken and I like to encourage their initiative.
- The Lord of Darkness: [holding the Unicorn's horn in his hand] Did you think this a mere plaything? [they shake their head's "no"] With it, my empire is eternal! Before I ruled only the night. Now, my minions will frolic in darkness until the end of time. The Unicorns are dead, is this not true?
- Blix: True lord, very plenty true.
- Pox: Undeniably true.
- The Lord of Darkness: You lie! Here is dawn!
- Blix: The stallion is dead. Dead as dreams.
- The Lord of Darkness: Out with it!
- Pox: The mare lives still!
- The Lord of Darkness: If even one Unicorn walks the Earth my power is not complete.
- Blix: It's just a female, lord. She has no power.
- The Lord of Darkness: Only the power of creation! Get the mare, I command you!
- The Lord of Darkness: Father, I hold the world in my grasp and yet, this girl distracts me. It has been an eternity since I have felt such desire. What am I to do?
- Satan (Darkness's father): She fascinates you because her soul is pure. To make her one of us, charm her, woo her, change her spirit, hypnotize her, set her free, bring her to you!
- The Lord of Darkness: Lady, do not be afraid. Quiet, quiet. How like you my gifts? Does the gown not please you?
- Lily: (sobbing) No
- The Lord of Darkness: (small Evil laugh)
- Just one step at a time
And closer to destiny
I knew at a glance
There'd always be a chance for me
With someone I could live for
Nowhere I would rather be.
- Just one beat of your heart
And stranger than fantasy
I knew from the start
It had to be the place for me
Someone that I would die for
There's no way I could ever leave.
- "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" by Bryan Ferry
- Legends can be now and forever
Teaching us to love for goodness sake.
Legends can be now and forever
Loved by the sun, loved by the sun.
- Who sings of all of Love's eternity
Who shines so bright
In all the songs of Love's unending spells?
Holy lightning strikes all that's evil
Teaching us to love for goodness sake.
Hear the music of Love Eternal
Teaching us to reach for goodness sake.
- "Loved by the Sun" by Jon Anderson
About Legend (1985 film)Edit
- All of the special effects in the world, and all of the great makeup, and all of the great Muppet creatures can't save a movie that has no clear idea of its own mission and no joy in its own accomplishment.
- Roger Ebert Looking back at Ridley Scotts Legend