Islamism, also known as Political Islam (Arabic: إسلام سياسي islām siyāsī), is an Islamic revival movement often characterized by moral conservatism, and the attempt "to implement Islamic values in all spheres of life." Islamism favors the reordering of government and society in accordance with the Sharia. The different Islamist movements have been described as "oscillating between two poles": at one end is a strategy of Islamization of society through state power seized by revolution or invasion; at the other "reformist" pole Islamists work to Islamize society gradually "from the bottom up".
- Nationalism, then Islamism, both twentieth-century inventions, destroyed the Greek civilization in Egypt that had endured for three thousand years.
- Islamism is not Islam. Islamism is the politicisation of Islam, the desire to impose a version of this ancient faith over society.
- As he continued to talk to me, I realized one of the fundamental points about Islamism that so many people fail to understand. The way Osman was speaking wasn’t in the orthodox, religious way of the imam with a stick; he was talking about politics, about events that were happening now. That’s crucial to understanding what Islamism is all about: it isn’t a religious movement with political consequences, it is a political movement with religious consequences.
- The one reason that I could not ignore, the one reason that grew deep inside me till it consumed me with guilt, was the realisation that I was abusing my faith for a mere political project. After learning in prison that Islamism was not the religion of Islam, but rather a political ideology dressed up as Islam, I no longer felt guilty simply for criticising a political system inspired by modern European constructs, while justified by seventh-century norms.
- If the dangers of racism are apparent, even in a non-violent form, then it was the same for Islamism. Communalist identity politics, self-segregation and group-think are far more damaging to societies in the long run than the odd bomb going off here or there, because it is such a milieu that keeps breeding bomb-makers.
- We are fighting against Islamism, not Islam. Islamism is the will to impose Shariah for all as civil, political and religious law. … In reality, it's asking French people to increasingly submit themselves to the Muslim religion. That goes totally against the secular principles of the French republic.
- Even as the nation monitors the Muslim world within its borders more closely for signs of Islamism, it must continue, of course, to protect the civil rights of law-abiding American Muslims. Political leaders should regularly and publicly distinguish between Islam, the religion of Muslims, and Islamism, the totalitarian ideology. In addition, they should do everything in their power to make sure that individual Muslims, mosques, and other legal institutions continue to enjoy the full protection of the law. A time of crisis doesn’t change the presumption of innocence at the core of our legal system. Police should provide extra protection for Muslims to prevent acts of vandalism against their property or their persons.
- Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism by Maajid Nawaz (Lyons Press, 2013)
- Rashdan, Abdelrahman. Terminological Chaos: Political Islam and Islamism. OnIslam.net. Oct. 16, 2012. Retrieved Oct. 16, 2012.
- Evaluating the Islamist movement – written by Greg Noakes, an American Muslim who works at the Washington Report
- Elizabeth Barre, Review of Roxanne Euben and Muhammad Qasim Zaman, "Princeton Readings in Islamist Thought: Texts and Contexts for al Banna to Bin Laden," Reason Papers 33 (Fall 2011)
- Islamist.Com Documenting the rise of Islam and Islamists on the world stage. Lots of links on Islamist political prisoners
- Islamism, fascism and terrorism (Part 1)
- Qantara.de-Dossier: Islamism
- Asabiyya: Re-Interpreting Value Change in Globalized Societies
- Why Europe has to offer a better deal towards its Muslim communities. A quantitative analysis of open international data
- Online-Dossier on Islamism or Political Islam by GIGA - German Institute of Global and Area Studies